Code of Conduct

Default Winter scents and cold weather scents: which are your top favourites and why?

I searched and didn't find a similar thread (sorry if there is one!).

Winter scents and cold weather scents: which are your top favourites and why?

Also, do you have special scents you associate with Halloween, Christmas and New Year celebrations?

My current favourite winter scents:

Ambre Sultan (simply wonderful; the first time I smelled it I was stunned to silence and it's been love ever since, but it seems best appreciated in winter, so I'm finally going to get the full bottle I've been lusting after).

Y by YSL (for any Finns here; I swear it has a surprise note of "Sisu pastilli" and somehow suits cold weather better than some of the more obvious choices)

Dali by Salvador Dali (a great chypre with OTT benzoin; it's thick ambery goo of loveliness)

Alien (which is one I do now associate with Christmas somewhat, due to having been given it as a present - but my previous Christmas association was an old one; Paris by YSL from way back when...).

Yet to experiment: Gotham, Le Parfum d'Odette, both by Neil Morris. I've enjoyed these already, but have a feeling they'll come alive in winter.

Default Re: Winter scents and cold weather scents: which are your top favourites and why?

PotL is my favourite winter scent, and although it wasn't for me I could see Botrytis (Ginestet) being a great winter/cold weather frag.

The smell of Halloween for me is pumpkin and candle wax. Has anyone come across this in a frag? I've tried a few of the BPAL Halloween frags but they've all been way too sweet.

Christmas is pine needles and baking/turkey roasting. When I was little I used to lie under the Christmas tree and push my face into the Xmas tree branches, sniffing the warm pine needles where the lights were.

New Year's is ... hmmmm. Something opulent but effervescent. Recommendations?
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Default Re: Winter scents and cold weather scents: which are your top favourites and why?

I LOVE the smell of pine needles and Christmas trees. A wonderful pine scent is my holy grail scent. Still searching, in some ways Fou D'Absinthe is the most satisfactory so far.

But I can certainly recommend a very festive holiday set of offerings by Ayala Moriel.
    Bois D'Hiver and Fete D'Hiver. These have pine but even more they have lovely frankincense notes. I love to wear these whenever the weather is cool. Have a look-see!
    http://www.ayalamoriel.com/index.cfm?PageName=Perfumes
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Still warm here which makes it difficult to conjure up dreams of cold weather scents...BUT....I'll bring out Sweet Oriental Dream from her nightly duty as bedtime companion to the light of day. Warm and cozy honey and almonds and roses.

Ambre Russe - THE amber. Fougere Bengale - THE fougere. Madame X - THE oriental, unless it's Tabu. Rasa - THE Musk. Cafe Noir and New Haarlem for a coffee jolt....to go with the vanillas - Sauvage de Madagascar ...Vanille Abricot and Let Them Eat Cake. And the chocolates - Neonatura Cocoon and Serendipitous. All my figgies. My Hispanic lovelies...Rumba, Habanita. The raunchies: Kingdom and Anglomania.. Coupla guys' frags that go good in brisk weather ... Azzaro Pour Homme - Montana Pour Homme - Jazz - Pino Silvestre - Bulgari Black.

Come to think of it - can't WAIT 'til it gets cold!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

When the weather turns cooler and the nights draw in I reach for
    my favourite winter scents:

Mauboussin

Cinnabar

Hot Couture

Anne Pliska.

Heliotrope Blanc

On Christmas day and for New Year's Eve I like to wear Yvresse!

I don't celebrate Halloween!
    Last edited by kewart; 20th October 2008 at 08:51 AM.

Lolita Lempicka L, Givenchy Organza Indecence, Chanel Coco, FM Noir Epices just to name a few. It's too early for my brain to retrieve much more than that

I didn't discover perfume till late Jan this year, so have no associations yet with Hallowe'en, Xmas or New Year.

Generally wintry ones would be:

DKNY Black Cashmere
    Rosine Rose Kashmirie (powdery white!)
    Les Perles de Lalique
    SL Five O' Clock au Gingembre
    Apres L'Ondee (for those cold snap Easters that are supposed to be springlike!)
    DKNY Cashmere Mist

Plus others that may well come to me later...
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I mostly wear the same fragrances year round - whatever I'm in the mood for, but in cold winter weather I especially enjoy florals (Fracas, YSL Paris) and chypres (Y, as Nukapai noted, and Miss Dior). Also, aldehydic fragrances (Chanel No. 5) seem to really sparkle in the wintry cold air.

I am currently infatuated with Aziyade, a smoky, ambery, gourmand. I love Ambre Russe, the bestever amber, and do wear it yearround, but especially love it in winter. And finally, let me mention Bois d'Armenie, which is so perfect in late fall.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Also, aldehydic fragrances (Chanel No. 5) seem to really sparkle in the wintry cold air.
    Very good point - you've made me remember FM Iris Poudre and Balenciaga Le Dix, also Divine's L'Ame Soeur, which fit that description.

Iris scents generally feel a bit chilly to me, so I would add Chanel La Pausa to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Also, aldehydic fragrances (Chanel No. 5) seem to really sparkle in the wintry cold air.
    Very good point - you've made me remember FM Iris Poudre and Balenciaga Le Dix, also Divine's L'Ame Soeur, which fit that description.

Iris scents generally feel a bit chilly to me, so I would add Chanel La Pausa to the list.

I love spicy and warm scents for winter: Theorema, Parfum Sacre, Obsession, Organza Indecence, Chaos. Outside of that Givenchy Oblique Rewind for some reason is perfect with cashmere sweaters.

A cold front passed through here this weekend. It was a reminder of how grey and chilly everything will be in just a few weeks. Today, even though it's a bit warmer, I pulled out Scherrer 2 by Jean Louis Scherrer. It's opulent and warm and makes me feel like I should be wearing a peaked Mongol-style fur and brocade hat.

For winter, I think of Ambers, Orientals and Chypres. They come into their own in cool temps.

One that comes to mind immediately for autumn and Halloween is Brandy. It's simple but scrumptious, with a warm friendly apple brandy note. It makes you feel happy.

Go Christmas shopping with First by Van Cleef and Arpel.
    And wear Theorema to a festive Christmas gathering.

There are so many... but ones I wear:
    Fendi (classic)
    Agent Provocateur
    Musc Koublai Khan
    Idole De Lubin
    Frapin 1270
    Splash Forte
    Cashmere Mist
    Ambre Del Nepal
    Asja
    Coco
    Coriandre
    Feminite du Bois
    Jolie Madam
    L'Heure Bleue
    Bandit
    Le Baiser du Dragon
    Bal a Versailles
    Dinner by Bobo (Amazing, foody, festive, *strong* - you have to at least sample it. If it works you'll love it during holidays.)

Jil Sander No. 4 and Tiffany are two rich florals that work well in winter.

Mariella Burani is a nice one, but I started reacting to the musk note in it, and can't wear it anymore. It is nice in winter if you can wear it, and gets compliments from guys. Louis Jourdan is another I had the same problem with. At first I loved its sexy gourmand quality, but can't wear it now. If you can wear them, you'll be lucky at Christmas.

I know there's lots I'm leaving out, but I can't remember them all.

"Aldehydic fragrances sparkle in the cold" - what a lovely turn of phrase and that's exactly the quality I was searching for - and feel - in the chypre Y when trying to think of why I feel it's better in winter. Great stuff, thanks for that

Chaos was mentioned - yes, now there's a lovely winter scent. Then again it's lovely any time. Can't wait for it to be reborn!

I've just remembered that one of the scents I always associate with Christmas is hyacinth (we used to have hyacinths in pots along with poinsettia plants during the season). Anyone know of a good hyacinth scent?

Living in Scotland where it is cold for about nine months of the year and winter seems to last for about six of those my quickest answer would be 99% of the scents in my wardrobe! Among that list are Mazzolari Patchouly, Les Nereides Patchouli Antique, iPdF Ambra del Nepal, Chanel Allure Sensuelle, Dior Dolce Vita, LMDV Vanille Noire Du Mexique, Neil Morris Gotham, Versace Crystal Noir, Gucci Rush and having tested it for the first time today I might be adding Molinard Habanita too.
    Last edited by chaelaran1008; 20th October 2008 at 08:06 PM.

Dolce Vita, Coco, Bois des Iles, Coco Mlle., Red Door, Armani Code, and Flowerbomb.

My cold weather favorites are:

Caleche - Especially on cold nights, this is so warm, woodsy and creamy

Timbuktu - because it's spicy, sweet, incensy and smoky and reminds me of pumpkin and mince meat pies (this may become my Thanksgiving scent!!)

No 19 - I can't wear this in warm months, but in the cold air the combination of the green, floral, and leather notes just sing to me.

31, rue Cambon - A chameleon perfume, this amazing scent smells different on me almost every time I wear it...it was perfect in the summer,and now it's perfect in the cool weather with the richness of the floral notes, the earth and pepper notes and the aldehydes.

Chanel No 5 - not sure it's a favorite, but I agree this sparkles in cold weather and that's the only time I wear this one.

My Christmas scent is Ruban D'Orange - because, I associate oranges with Christmas (pulling out the wonderful smelling orange, and the shiny, gold chocolate coins from the Christmas stocking toe on Christmas morning, and of course, making "pomanders" and putting them all over the house).

Un Jardin sur le Nil - I love this in the colder months (more than in warm months).
    Last edited by pomander; 25th October 2008 at 11:04 PM.

Well, just last year it was Boucheron for the winter. Pretty much just Boucheron. But now I'm a perfumista-in-training, and having such fun! Here is a list of winter-worthy fragrances that I have in either samples or bottles:

Parfumerie Generale AOMASSAI
    Montale BLUE AMBER
    Fendi THEOREMA
    Mauboussin MAUBOUSSIN
    Ormonde Jayne WOMAN
    Parfum d'Empire AMBRE RUSSE
    Ormonde Jayne TA'IF
    Frederic Malle UNE ROSE
    Ayala Moriel RAINFOREST
    Lea St. Barth LEA EXTREME
    Saffron James PUNONO
    Hermes AMBRE NARGUILE

I'm tempted to try TIMBUKTU, also. Sounds yummy!

P.S. I actually hate winter, but these will help me get through it!

I have my wintery cold weather favourites. They are the heavier, foodier, spicier, christmassy ones:

Sienne L'hiver (woodsy and boozy, perfect dog walking scent)
    Bal a Versailles (animalic and sexy, for the long evenings with my main squeeze)
    Bois des Iles (actually, I like this one year round)
    L de Lolita Lempecka
    Nuit de Noel (for those long evenings)
    L'eau D'hiver (especially on a brisk, sunny January day, when the icicles are melting due to the sun beating down on them)
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

In winter, which has not yet arrived with all its severeness here in Germany, thank God, I wear Chypres and Orientals mostly. Like Agent Provocateur, it only works in colder environments, and Allure. Also like Herve Leger, it makes me feel very cosy! Sometimes, but rarely, I'd go for Armani Mania, Creed Royal Delight (it has to snow for that one) or Valentino V Homme, which works very well on me. I have failed to part with my best loved florals yet, it's gonna take a couple of weeks!
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Basenotes Institution

I must agree with the Ambre Narguile (Hermessence) by Hermes recommendation. Love this stuff!

I will add one that hasn't been mentioned: the discontinued Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice by Guerlain.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st October 2008 at 03:51 PM.

Clive Christian X
    24 Faubourg
    Insolence
    Ysatis

forgot to add why: there is something "full bodied" about these scents and that fits my mood better in the winter.
    Last edited by seattlelight; 21st October 2008 at 03:27 PM.

Un Bois Vanille
    Daim Blond
    Love's True Bluish Light
    Coco
    Poison
    Amarige
    Lolita Lempicka
    Feminite du Bois
    Casmir (Chopard)
    Dior Addict

These are pretty much my "colder weather exclusives"!

Sweet/Spicy/Foody:
    L'Artisan Tea for Two
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé
    Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Piment et Chocolat
    Serge Lutens Douce Amère
    Ava Luxe Milk
    Valentino V
    Néonatura Cocoon
    + Parfumerie Generale Aomassai

Something dry & woodsy like Let Me Play the Lion seems to take on a feeling of Christmas when I wear it in during winter.

LedByMyNose, I wonder if Possets' Doped Pumpkin would fit your pumpkin/candle wax yen? Possets seem to be sweet overall, but the candle wax in Midnight Mass was spot on.
    Last edited by tang; 22nd October 2008 at 03:52 AM. Reason: addition
    Sniff and let sniff.

Chanel Coromandel, Bois des Iles and Cuir de Russie
    Shiseido Feminite du Bois
    FM Musc Ravageur
    L'Artisan Safran Troublant, Tea For Two, Bois Farine and Patchouli Patch
    Iris Silver Mist when I want to be alone
    L'Heure Bleue (I'm starting to love it) when I want to be alone with my perfume

I forgot to add:

Noir Epices!

And reminded by the other thread, I want to add that Neil Morris has the strange olfactory journey through a Finnish forest, Dark Season, which according to him comes alive in cold weather, so I will be re-sampling that when it gets a bit colder here on the damp, windy island.

Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    Iris Silver Mist when I want to be alone
    I completely agree! To me, this is the most "deliciously" lonely scent; I wear it when I want to relish in my "alone-ness."

I, too, like ambers in cold weather, Ambre Sultan being a favourite. I must try this Ambre Russe, as a few have mentioned that is THE amber.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Quote Originally Posted by pellen View Post
    I wear it when I want to relish in my "alone-ness."
    I was reading this as ALONE-ASS Time to put on the readers!

I only wear the spicy scents in winter, and love them for the holidays: Opium (in all of its many incarnations, the most recent being Poesie de Chine), KL, Parfum Sacre, Coco, Asja, to mention just a few.

Ayala Moriel's newsletter tells of a new and limited edition fragrance for the holiday season. It is called "Sahleb" and it is based on a comfort-food beverage of the same name popular in the Middle East. Scents of rosewater and spices, and a luxurious base. Here is the info on this foody treat.
    http://www.ayalamoriel.com/index.cfm...s&PerfumeID=58
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I absolutely love the Fall/Winter season!! I prefer to wear scents that are woody/spicey/oriental like. I think that those types of scents smell wonderful in the cool crisp air. I use to only wear these frags in the cool months, but for the 1st time I experimented with wearing them during the Spring/Summer months. They didn't smell too bad in the hot sun, but I prefer to smell them in the cooler months. My favs......

Angel
    Alien
    So In Love
    Ange Ou Demon
    White Patchouli
    Delicious Night DKNY
    Belle En Rykiel
    Prada
    Crystal Noir
    L'Instant Magic
    Magical Moon
    Black Orchid
    Omnia
    Trouble
    Badgley Mischka
    Coco Mademoiselle
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I only have one scent that was actually brought out just for Christmas, from Dawn Spencer Hurwitz, which is 'Noel' and it is a spicey pine, cumin, vanilla and and some musk, I think. It is discontinued but I still have over 90% left, as I do not wear it tons. It is hard when you have 350 perfumes and they are stored in various locations, to look at all of them and decide. I always seem to go back to same ones or the new ones I just got. I love them all, and it depends on my mood.

I wouldn't wear this, as it turns bad on my skin.....but Alien is awesome. It reminds me of incense sticks, cold night, spookiness. I sometimes spritz a little on my scarf or sleeve though when I'm in a store. It definately a bonfire night/haloween smell in my mind.

Gaultier2 is a scent I can only imagine wearing in cold weather. It´s supposed to be built of vanilla, amber and musk only, not very complex, but sure snuggly, sexy, addictive and - WARM.

Un Bois Vanille is terrible stuff in the summer, when it smells sour, winter's crispness offsets the richness of the vanilla and makes the woods crackle. It's a completely different scent then, as is the pissoir that is otherwise Miel de Bois.

Gris Clair is my favorite scent, period, but in winter it seems warmer and more enveloping; it is then that you grasp the orientalism in its relationship to the shorter day and darkening sky.

Trouble, Addict, Musc Ravageur, Imperial Opoponax, Patchouli Antique, Frapin, Ambre Russe, Ambre Sultan, Shalimar.

All amber scents, rich Gourmands, spicy scents, Classic Guerlains and Carons.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Y by YSL (for any Finns here; I swear it has a surprise note of "Sisu pastilli")
    I must say I've never noticed any resemblance. (I like to wear Y in early autumn)
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post

I must say I've never noticed any resemblance. (I like to wear Y in early autumn)
    Mmm, my husband doesn't get it either ... it must be just me!