Code of Conduct

Default Does anyone here wear Lauren (maroon square bottle) anymore?

This fragrance is seriously on its way out in most department stores, but I did see a bottle of it recently at Macy's. I sprayed it on a paper strip, and it smells fresh, young, and classy - and outdoorsy - I cannot think of a current scent that could replace that fresh, outdoors but classy feeling. It is not anorexic and high pitched (anorexic and high pitched ...yikes....I am describing frags, not people....please don't take offense....) in the manner of those scents that aspire to be synthetic-laudry-soap-clean (I would place something like Pure Poison or Diesel for Life in this category- they're good, but not in the same category, IMO).

I'm somewhat surprised it's popularity is significantly waning. Although, probably by now, most of the younger girls Mom's wore this in junior high or high school - or perhaps even their grandmothers!

Do any of you wear this with regularity? To office? On weekends? As a signature? Have you outgrown it? I procured the parfum version a few years back and, as that is finished, I've been without Lauren for two or three years now.

What do you think of Lauren by today's cultural standards? Dated? Classic? Fresh and fun? Old and musty? Who cares about the juice, the bottle's beautiful? Does it convey "easy and outdoorsy" to you, like it does to me?

What would you replace it with that is currently available?
    Last edited by seattlelight; 19th October 2008 at 11:27 PM.

Default Re: Does anyone here wear Lauren (maroon square bottle) anymore?

I just picked up a 1 oz bottle at Marshall's for $10. I had been wanting to try it, had never smelled it before. I like it ok, but it smells alot like others that I have. To my nose I would place it with, Ivoire, Sung, Palona Picasso, RL Safari, and Yeves Rocher Vie Privee. To me it's green and fresh with some white flowers. And of those my favorite is Ivoire and then Vie Privee. Its nice but I have so many others. I dont know those other scents, but it sounds like your nose is picking up something different than mine. And no, I dont think its old lady or musty,,,,but I bet we are around the same age I will be 45 next month. I would call it more a classic scent

Quote Originally Posted by ChantillyLace View Post
    I just picked up a 1 oz bottle at Marshall's for $10. I had been wanting to try it, had never smelled it before. I like it ok, but it smells alot like others that I have. To my nose I would place it with, Ivoire, Sung, Palona Picasso, RL Safari, and Yeves Rocher Vie Privee. To me it's green and fresh with some white flowers. And of those my favorite is Ivoire and then Vie Privee. Its nice but I have so many others. I dont know those other scents, but it sounds like your nose is picking up something different than mine. And no, I dont think its old lady or musty,,,,but I bet we are around the same age I will be 45 next month. I would call it more a classic scent
    I agree -- it is a classic. I don't have it in my collection these days but loved it when I was younger (I am 47 now). I remember thinking it had lemony-rosy overtones, but your description would fit as well.

I didn't even think to look at Marshall's - agree that you have a lot of good greens to choose from, this would be a little redundant. I'm familiar with all that you mention (used to love Ivoire) except the Rocher, and I have kind of forgotten what Safari smells like - to my memory it more floral chypre?

Also, I didn't mean to imply that Mdnt Poison and Diesel smell like Lauren, I meant they are trying to be clean and fresh, and they are nice, but do not smell as natural as Lauren to my nose - they smell more high pitched and synthetic.

Yes, we are the same age. Perhaps that's why we gravitate to those greens - we're children of the 70's/early 80's when that type of scent conveyed fresh and natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    I agree -- it is a classic. I don't have it in my collection these days but loved it when I was younger (I am 47 now). I remember thinking it had lemony-rosy overtones, but your description would fit as well.
    It is floral, but it is difficult for me to pick out the notes.

Cruising Marshall's, T.J. Max and Ross have become a guilty pleasure for me Some of the prices are so good I just buy unsniffed. I run to my car, rip open the box and sniff right in the car. I feel like a junkie. But it is a cheap high and It's kind of fun not knowing what your going to get

Red face Re: Does anyone here wear Lauren (maroon square bottle) anymore?

Seattlelight, back to your original post, if I were to think in terms of trying to replace Lauren, I would be stumped. I'm not saying it is the most unique scent of all time, but it does not really remind me very much of current scents. I used to think that Geoffrey Beene's Red had things in common with Lauren but that scent is surely bye-bye for many years now.

ChantillyLace, I love your description of running to the car and sniffing your latest purchase like a junkie. I have done that, but I never really thought of it in that way -- but I will now!

I wore Lauren back in the day. I loved it. And I loved the bottle too. I just looked in Michael Edwards' fragrance library and Lauren is categorized as "floral, crisp, citrus fruity". He lists the notes as "wild marigold, rosewood, pineapple, rose, lilac, violet, jasmine and lily of the valley with cedarwood, vetiver and carnation." Lauren was distinctive and original smelling when it first came out, yet fresh and pretty at the same time. I loved the pineapple in it. I haven't smelled it in years, but Tania Sanchez in Perfumes The Guide notes that it's been changed (not for the better). Hate when they do that. I think it it were released today in its original form it would be well received. I'm not sure what would be a good replacement. For fruity florals, I rather like DK Delicious (green apple fragrance), Annick Goutal's Eau de Charlotte. There is a lot of fruity floral stuff out there, but I think it would be hard to find one that is as crisp and clear as the original Lauren.

I grabbed a bottle at Marshalls many months ago - probably more than a year ago. Indeed, it was not as I remembered it, so perhaps Macy's had the original formula for it's tester. The revamped version was very heavy in...I want to say lilac or hyacinth and extremely linear and unrelenting. It lacked any nuance and the elegant sportiness that made Lauren a classic. Agree that the original was very nice.
    Last edited by sharilstuff; 25th October 2008 at 02:10 PM.

I was going to purchase a bottle about two year ago. It was a favorite of mine in high school (I'm 41 now) so I thought I'd revisit it. I tried it on at Macy's and it just wasn't the same. I can't remember my impressions now except that it smelled different - perhaps not as fresh and green, and a bit sour. I thought I must have outgrown it until I read with with disappointment (in 'The Guide') that it had been reformulated. No Lauren for me.

I can't think of a replacement, but I'm interested to hear what others say. I really loved this scent before it changed.

I sprayed this on tonight to check the notes, and I am getting a pretty strong pineapple. The white flowers are there but are so faint. Much fruitier than I had originially thought. But still nice. Gres Cabotine was one of the others that I was thinking of in that same scent type.

Sharil!! I've been wondering how you are!! Will email.

Chantillylace and Leesee - are you both in the Seattle area? If so, it would be nice to get together.

With the old Lauren as my standard for "green floral", what, by current standards of cost management and restrictions on ingredients, could possibly replace it as something I'd like to wear?

I thought the original formula First was a grown up Lauren, but I'm hard pressed to find another comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    Sharil!! I've been wondering how you are!! Will email.

Chantillylace and Leesee - are you both in the Seattle area? If so, it would be nice to get together.

With the old Lauren as my standard for "green floral", what, by current standards of cost management and restrictions on ingredients, could possibly replace it as something I'd like to wear?

I thought the original formula First was a grown up Lauren, but I'm hard pressed to find another comparison.
    I'm about two hours from Seattle (a get together would be possible and fun). I will really have to think about your replacement of Lauren question, and repost when I have an answer.

Cheers!

hey fun chat! i wore and adore Lauren in the 80's (i am 42) and am a true lover of green florals. i must say i agree with the Ivoire de Balmain comparison. have you tried this one? it is one of my HGs! Vent Vert might also appeal, it is a sweeter green with touches of floral. these are so easy to wear and comforting. funny, i have been considering getting a bottle of Lauren. i loved everything about it, the bottle is gorgeous as well as the scent.

i am in the process of revisiting the older beauties- Niki de Saint Phalle, Silences, L'Arte di Gucci, Diva. love them even more now i think. Safari is another beauty!

I'm about 45 to 60 minutes from downtown. Yeah, a Northwest group

Hi All--I'm kinda new here, but have read many, many posts and have great respect for you all. As a fellow
    perfume-lover, concerning Lauren, I own some original in the old maroon square bottle. Tho it's not a huge favorite of mine, it's one of the only fruity-florals I like. Too bad it's been changed, have to check it out, but I believe you. To answer a question here, IMO, Liz, the first fragrance (I think) by Liz Claiborne, is similar, perhaps somewhat stronger than Lauren. I like Lauren better, but for awhile I vacilated between the two.
    Anyway, give it a whirl. The minis are still around, at least. Occasionally Marshall's have it too.

I was wondering, based on descriptions I have read, if Diorella or Givenchy III would make worthy substitutions for Lauren. Have any of you tested those, and if so, would you say they are enough like Lauren (or not like Lauren) for seattlelight to at least sample?

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    I was going to purchase a bottle about two year ago. It was a favorite of mine in high school (I'm 41 now) so I thought I'd revisit it. I tried it on at Macy's and it just wasn't the same. I can't remember my impressions now except that it smelled different - perhaps not as fresh and green, and a bit sour. I thought I must have outgrown it until I read with with disappointment (in 'The Guide') that it had been reformulated. No Lauren for me.

I can't think of a replacement, but I'm interested to hear what others say. I really loved this scent before it changed.
    This is exactly the conversation two of my coworkers had a few weeks ago. One was gifted a bottle of Lauren and she tried it on and was disappointed that it had changed. She brought it in for another co-worker to smell and she agreed it was different.

They were trying to show me that my Rosines smell the same as Lauren...

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    I was wondering, based on descriptions I have read, if Diorella or Givenchy III would make worthy substitutions for Lauren. Have any of you tested those, and if so, would you say they are enough like Lauren (or not like Lauren) for seattlelight to at least sample?
    Diorella might be a good one to try, though it is a lemon/vetiver/peachy scent. Givenchy III is greener. To me, it is the pineapple/muguet that made Lauren distinctive. And I still can't think of anything that would compensate for its loss. I'm still thinking though...
    Last edited by lilybelle; 22nd October 2008 at 11:54 AM.

Leesee and Lilybelle:
    Diorella is meaty - on me, anyway. I simply can't abide it with my chemistry; same reaction with La Parfum de Therese (same nose).

Givenchy III, the original, was a strident green chypre and absolutely gorgeous - I have a mini. The new Givenchy III is not as full of character as the original, I remember the newer version as more floral, but I need to re-sample that one.

Evyan:
    Regarding the Claiborne frag: is it Liz or LizSport I should try?

Mamamia:
    Please elaborate on which Rosine smells like Lauren. Did you agree they were similar?

Last evening, I went to a dept store to ask for help looking for a Lauren substitute. The SA announced that Lauren is a floral and then she quickly grabbed the Michael Kors for me to sniff as a Lauren replacement. Me: "....that really doesn't bear much resemblance to a sporty green floral, but thank you...."

I did a little research last night.

On Michael Edward's website, Azzura is listed as one of the similar frags to Lauren. Reading the descriptions of Azzura, I am skeptical. Eclat d' Arpege and Marilyn Red (by Warhol) are also listed as similar frags. I don't think Eclat smells like Lauren. Marilyn Red, never heard of it.

Word on the street is that Pure White Linen smells very similar to Lauren. Because it was advertised with some celebrity, I ignored its release. Now that I have this information, though, I'm going to sample them side by side today and will report back.

Other ideas from perfume sites:

Les Copains - anyone know that one?
    Montana Blu - how about this one - anyone familiar with it?

PS We need to do a Northwest basenotes get-together!
    Last edited by seattlelight; 22nd October 2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: forgot to mention

Word on the street is that Pure White Linen smells very similar to Lauren. Because it was advertised with some celebrity, I ignored its release. Now that I have this information, though, I'm going to sample them side by side today and will report back.
    Yes! That's the one! I remember testing Pure White Linen when it came out and it did remind me very much of Lauren. I thought it was a nice fragrance, not terribly long lasting, but my recall may be faulty. Gwyneth Paltrow is the celebrity you're thinking of (she's also the model for Pleasures now, too). I think you definitely should try PWL. I don't always get Michael Edwards' recommendations either. If I were in the Northwest I'd love to join you (but I'm in Virginia).

Lauren was the first "real" department store perfume I bought -- I must have been in middle school or high school -- and I purchased the body oil spray because it was cheaper and came in the most beautiful frosted pink bottle. Like most scented things I loved back then, I'd use it *very* sparingly and probably only went through a quarter of the bottle at most. I must have thrown it away at some point years later (wish I'd kept it!). I think my current overload of perfumes is making up for all that stinginess I've seen Lauren at discounters but to me the nostalgia of the scent is really wrapped up in the feel of the body oil. I'd love to find another bottle of that!

I was wearing Poussiere on that day. I did not think they smelled alike, but they were showing me the new Lauren and they said it did not smell the same, that the old version smelled like what I was wearing. Since I do not remember the fragrance, I cannot say whether that is accurate or not.

I have Azzura and it is nothing like the Lauren that I have. Azzura is more of a warm oriental with a cummin like B.O. note, IMHO.

I have Azzura and it is nothing like the Lauren that I have. Azzura is more of a warm oriental with a cummin like B.O. note, IMHO.
    I am so glad you warned me, I can't wear those cumin heavy scents.

Will procure a sample of Poussierre - thank you!

Sucrose:

I think the perfume overload situation for most of us in this age group, who mostly grew up wearing frags with depth and quality regardless of whether it was sporty green or oriental or musk found in the drugstore or department store - is due to a continual search for that quality and distinctness we remember and experienced. It really isn't there with most of today's frags - after about the mid 90's. If that's the level of quality you grew up with, it's virtually impossible to replace with current offerings, but we are certainly trying, aren't we? JMHO.

My sister in law gave me the used bottle of Azzua and I dont like it. Its kinda stinky, on me anyway. And yes I have been revisiting frags from that era that I missed due to youth and lack of funds. Seems like they had alot of class and were well made IMHO.

Sucrose:

I think the perfume overload situation for most of us in this age group, who mostly grew up wearing frags with depth and quality regardless of whether it was sporty green or oriental or musk found in the drugstore or department store - is due to a continual search for that quality and distinctness we remember and experienced. It really isn't there with most of today's frags - after about the mid 90's. If that's the level of quality you grew up with, it's virtually impossible to replace with current offerings, but we are certainly trying, aren't we? JMHO.
    Seattlelight, that's an interesting point, although it's not the reason I'm personally on overload mode these days. Although I grew up with a few scented products I loved, I was never really "into" perfume until I discovered niche and unisex perfumes a couple of years ago -- before that I associated perfume with the stuff at department store perfume counters, which to me represented a type of femininity I never felt I belonged to (in fact, another first perfume of mine was Old Spice, I loved that stuff!). So I'm not familiar enough with perfumes of that era to appreciate them the way others do. I was more commenting on how I used to savor scented things and save them for special occasions. Although it kept me from enjoying what I had, I do sometimes miss how special each product seemed when I only had one or two things -- that's the overload problem!

Seattlelight--The one I was referring to is Liz Claiborne (often called Liz), NOT Liz Sport. Let us know what you decide.

I know what you mean about the lack of distinctiveness in fragrances these days. I have found only a hand-
    ful since the turn of the century, to tell you the truth, that hold "that magic". Not that I need anymore. But "the certain discovery" time after time has slowed up and as mentioned here a few posts previously, so many smell the same, or are at least too similar.

I am so glad you warned me, I can't wear those cumin heavy scents.

Will procure a sample of Poussierre - thank you!

Sucrose:

Seattlelight, I have to agree with your comment about the perfume overload, although I can also see where you were coming from when you replied to Seattlelight's observation, Sucrose. I just can't help feeling that many of the perfumes we could afford when we were young were of a higher quality than some of the perfumes we can (or at least I can) barely afford now. Availability of ingredients may be a factor, as well as restrictions on ingredients that used to be common in scents. Also, how many times can you reinvent the wheel?

Anyway as to the other issue, a Northwest chapter of BN is the best idea I have heard in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    hey fun chat! i wore and adore Lauren in the 80's (i am 42) and am a true lover of green florals. i must say i agree with the Ivoire de Balmain comparison. have you tried this one? it is one of my HGs! Vent Vert might also appeal, it is a sweeter green with touches of floral. these are so easy to wear and comforting. funny, i have been considering getting a bottle of Lauren. i loved everything about it, the bottle is gorgeous as well as the scent.

i am in the process of revisiting the older beauties- Niki de Saint Phalle, Silences, L'Arte di Gucci, Diva. love them even more now i think. Safari is another beauty!
    Ivoire de Balmain is a lovely scent. It seemed to me soapier than Lauren, though. But my mind is going, so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Evyan View Post
    Hi All--I'm kinda new here, but have read many, many posts and have great respect for you all. As a fellow
    perfume-lover, concerning Lauren, I own some original in the old maroon square bottle. Tho it's not a huge favorite of mine, it's one of the only fruity-florals I like. Too bad it's been changed, have to check it out, but I believe you. To answer a question here, IMO, Liz, the first fragrance (I think) by Liz Claiborne, is similar, perhaps somewhat stronger than Lauren. I like Lauren better, but for awhile I vacilated between the two.
    Anyway, give it a whirl. The minis are still around, at least. Occasionally Marshall's have it too.
    Evyan, I remember thinking that Liz Claiborne was sweeter and had more sillage than Lauren. Sort of a more sedate, green version of Ysatis.

Sucrose,
    I can also identify with the "specialness" issue with regard to overload. Guess I've got a number of things factoring into my perfume issues...!

Tried the pure white linen and am wearing it today. It is not as earthy and not as green as Lauren, but it is carefree, sporty, clean, and lightly floral. So, by today's standards, this indeed has a very similar feel as Lauren in the 70's/80's; I'd say it somewhat conveys an updated image of the same persona.

But, you know, PWL just lacks the underlying elegance of Lauren. I would be hard pressed to wear this for a special evening. Lauren would fit in anywhere....*sigh*....

(snapping out of nostalgiac revery)....did someone say green version of Ysatis?!...I'm a big fan of Ysatis...okay, I'm going to try out the Liz.... will report back.

Ivoire gets a bit "leathery" on me, especially the parfum. It's not as bright and fresh as I want, but agree it's a truly great, unique, elegant frag.

May need to go back to the older Vent Vert, but that's a little soft and spring-like. Sabi is too sweet; I wish they would toughen that one up - it could be wonderful. Perhaps the parfum version of Sabi is better?

Just received a compliment on PWL from a co-worker.
    Last edited by seattlelight; 23rd October 2008 at 05:57 PM.

Yes, I was the one who said I remembered thinking that Liz Claiborne was greener than Ysatis. Let us know what you think.

Also, a new favorite of mine is Le Temps d'Une Fete by Parfums de Nicolai. The Perfume Guide calls it a "green narcissus." Have you tested that one by any chance?

I have tested Le Temps. The Nicolai frags, with the exception of Eclipse, evoke something melancholy for me, not sure why. They do smell great initially, but I had probs with staying power throughout the line, even EDPs, so I have put my assessments on hold.

Just to be clear about the Claiborne scent that I'm going to try, it's the one in the triangle bottle ("Liz Claiborne"), is that right? Not the one in the tall rectangular bottle ("Liz")? It probably won't hurt to try both.

We need to do a Northwest BN get-together - either Portland or Vancouver, BC.

Oh, I'm going to feel so foolish if my characterization is supremely wrong, but yes, the Claiborne I was thinking of was the triangular one, originally released circa 1986-ish. I'll keep trying to think of green florals for you to try.

A Portland get-together would be pretty easy for me. I have not been to Vancouver BC, so that would be an adventure in itself.

Oh wow - great suggestion! I was stumped for something similar but when Evyan mention the original Liz in the triangle white bottle with red, blue and maybe yellow accents I immediately thought, "Yes, that's probably the closest that comes to mind." It's not quite as....fresh, maybe?... as Lauren, but it's the only scent that has a similar feel.

Count me in for a NW get-together. Someone might have to email me, though, as I'm not on BN often.

sharils@msn.com

We should do a get together in spring, perhaps. The passes will be mostly navigable by then. Let us know, those of you who try the Liz Claiborne, what you think of it.

seattlelight and myself have done The Perfume House in Portland a couple of times. It's always well worth the trip, in terms of scent and amusement. They seem to have alot of things that are otherwise hard to find. Not so much in terms of nice scents, but discontinued and body products galore.

I wouldn't mind going before Christmas, but Spring would be nice also.

Quote Originally Posted by sharilstuff View Post
    seattlelight and myself have done The Perfume House in Portland a couple of times. It's always well worth the trip, in terms of scent and amusement. They seem to have alot of things that are otherwise hard to find. Not so much in terms of nice scents, but discontinued and body products galore.

I wouldn't mind going before Christmas, but Spring would be nice also.
    Yes, a before-Christmas trek to Perfume House would be fun. I went there in the summer of 2007 and had a great time, although I wanted to stay much longer than my friend wanted to. So I would be up for that, as well.

I guess the thing about spring is that we could plan ahead more, and have something to look forward to after the snow starts to clear. Seattlelight also mentioned Vancouver, BC, which I have never visited, so I admit that one sounds pretty tempting, too.

Maybe we could go to Portland before Christmas and Vancouver in the Spring. TPH is totally amusing - I have enjoyed our time there - and we generally play for several hours at a time.

Leesee, am I correct in assuming you need to cross a pass to get to either city? I understand not wanted to do that in late Fall / Winter; Sharilstuff has seen my "snow fear" first hand.

I managed to try the Liz Claiborne and liked it so much I got a bottle. I prefer it to the PWL; it is not as shrill on me.

Also, I tried Pure Turquoise for the first time, and that has a similar feel as well. It's not a green floral as I would define one, but it has the same easy, clean personality as Lauren, IMO. Those of you who know that one, would you agree?

Glad to hear you liked the Liz Claiborne. It used to be my everyday fragrance for a long time in the 80s.

I read about the Pure Turquoise just the other day, and I wondered if it would be similar to Lauren -- and you have indeed confirmed that it is similar. I would like to try that one, myself.

A before-Christmas trip to TPH could work. I teach in Yakima (now you know how shopping and generally deprived I am) so yes, the passes are an issue, but mostly because I am a scaredy-cat. I used to live in GA so driving in this part of the country scares me year round.

If some of us do end up making the trip to TPC, will it be an overnighter for anyone else?

Leesee,

There is a famous perfume place in Yakima - they carry a lot of discontinued and hard to find items. Do you know about it?

PT is only similar in style, not in smell, to Lauren.

Generally TPH is a one day trip for me, but I'm pretty flexible about that.

Yakima?:bounce: Are you kidding me? Do tell!

If we end up doing TPH I can combine trip with a visit to my friend, so we can do whatever, however.

No way! My daughter and I were just in Yakima last month picking up her new horse. Would have loved to go sniffing but didn't know where to look.

Seattlelight needs to tell, tell, tell all.

It's in Walla Walla, not Yakima - so sorry for the mistake!

For some reason, I remembered it as Yakima, but I'm quite a few miles off.

It's called The Fragrance Factory. They're online as well - very reliable. Highly recommend.

Oh, yes, The Fragrance Factory. I used to purchase online from them when I lived in GA. I did not realize they were in Walla Walla. My cousins have this great restaurant near Walla Walla. I can combine a trip to The Fragrance Factory with a meal at my cousins' restaurant. Here's to you, seattlelight!