Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Does anyone here wear Lauren (maroon square bottle) anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Evyan View Post
    Hi All--I'm kinda new here, but have read many, many posts and have great respect for you all. As a fellow
    perfume-lover, concerning Lauren, I own some original in the old maroon square bottle. Tho it's not a huge favorite of mine, it's one of the only fruity-florals I like. Too bad it's been changed, have to check it out, but I believe you. To answer a question here, IMO, Liz, the first fragrance (I think) by Liz Claiborne, is similar, perhaps somewhat stronger than Lauren. I like Lauren better, but for awhile I vacilated between the two.
    Anyway, give it a whirl. The minis are still around, at least. Occasionally Marshall's have it too.
    Evyan, I remember thinking that Liz Claiborne was sweeter and had more sillage than Lauren. Sort of a more sedate, green version of Ysatis.

Sucrose,
    I can also identify with the "specialness" issue with regard to overload. Guess I've got a number of things factoring into my perfume issues...!

Tried the pure white linen and am wearing it today. It is not as earthy and not as green as Lauren, but it is carefree, sporty, clean, and lightly floral. So, by today's standards, this indeed has a very similar feel as Lauren in the 70's/80's; I'd say it somewhat conveys an updated image of the same persona.

But, you know, PWL just lacks the underlying elegance of Lauren. I would be hard pressed to wear this for a special evening. Lauren would fit in anywhere....*sigh*....

(snapping out of nostalgiac revery)....did someone say green version of Ysatis?!...I'm a big fan of Ysatis...okay, I'm going to try out the Liz.... will report back.

Ivoire gets a bit "leathery" on me, especially the parfum. It's not as bright and fresh as I want, but agree it's a truly great, unique, elegant frag.

May need to go back to the older Vent Vert, but that's a little soft and spring-like. Sabi is too sweet; I wish they would toughen that one up - it could be wonderful. Perhaps the parfum version of Sabi is better?

Just received a compliment on PWL from a co-worker.
    Last edited by seattlelight; 23rd October 2008 at 05:57 PM.

Yes, I was the one who said I remembered thinking that Liz Claiborne was greener than Ysatis. Let us know what you think.

Also, a new favorite of mine is Le Temps d'Une Fete by Parfums de Nicolai. The Perfume Guide calls it a "green narcissus." Have you tested that one by any chance?

I have tested Le Temps. The Nicolai frags, with the exception of Eclipse, evoke something melancholy for me, not sure why. They do smell great initially, but I had probs with staying power throughout the line, even EDPs, so I have put my assessments on hold.

Just to be clear about the Claiborne scent that I'm going to try, it's the one in the triangle bottle ("Liz Claiborne"), is that right? Not the one in the tall rectangular bottle ("Liz")? It probably won't hurt to try both.

We need to do a Northwest BN get-together - either Portland or Vancouver, BC.

Oh, I'm going to feel so foolish if my characterization is supremely wrong, but yes, the Claiborne I was thinking of was the triangular one, originally released circa 1986-ish. I'll keep trying to think of green florals for you to try.

A Portland get-together would be pretty easy for me. I have not been to Vancouver BC, so that would be an adventure in itself.

Oh wow - great suggestion! I was stumped for something similar but when Evyan mention the original Liz in the triangle white bottle with red, blue and maybe yellow accents I immediately thought, "Yes, that's probably the closest that comes to mind." It's not quite as....fresh, maybe?... as Lauren, but it's the only scent that has a similar feel.

Count me in for a NW get-together. Someone might have to email me, though, as I'm not on BN often.

[email protected]

We should do a get together in spring, perhaps. The passes will be mostly navigable by then. Let us know, those of you who try the Liz Claiborne, what you think of it.

seattlelight and myself have done The Perfume House in Portland a couple of times. It's always well worth the trip, in terms of scent and amusement. They seem to have alot of things that are otherwise hard to find. Not so much in terms of nice scents, but discontinued and body products galore.

I wouldn't mind going before Christmas, but Spring would be nice also.

Quote Originally Posted by sharilstuff View Post
    seattlelight and myself have done The Perfume House in Portland a couple of times. It's always well worth the trip, in terms of scent and amusement. They seem to have alot of things that are otherwise hard to find. Not so much in terms of nice scents, but discontinued and body products galore.

I wouldn't mind going before Christmas, but Spring would be nice also.
    Yes, a before-Christmas trek to Perfume House would be fun. I went there in the summer of 2007 and had a great time, although I wanted to stay much longer than my friend wanted to. So I would be up for that, as well.

I guess the thing about spring is that we could plan ahead more, and have something to look forward to after the snow starts to clear. Seattlelight also mentioned Vancouver, BC, which I have never visited, so I admit that one sounds pretty tempting, too.

Maybe we could go to Portland before Christmas and Vancouver in the Spring. TPH is totally amusing - I have enjoyed our time there - and we generally play for several hours at a time.

Leesee, am I correct in assuming you need to cross a pass to get to either city? I understand not wanted to do that in late Fall / Winter; Sharilstuff has seen my "snow fear" first hand.

I managed to try the Liz Claiborne and liked it so much I got a bottle. I prefer it to the PWL; it is not as shrill on me.

Also, I tried Pure Turquoise for the first time, and that has a similar feel as well. It's not a green floral as I would define one, but it has the same easy, clean personality as Lauren, IMO. Those of you who know that one, would you agree?

Glad to hear you liked the Liz Claiborne. It used to be my everyday fragrance for a long time in the 80s.

I read about the Pure Turquoise just the other day, and I wondered if it would be similar to Lauren -- and you have indeed confirmed that it is similar. I would like to try that one, myself.

A before-Christmas trip to TPH could work. I teach in Yakima (now you know how shopping and generally deprived I am) so yes, the passes are an issue, but mostly because I am a scaredy-cat. I used to live in GA so driving in this part of the country scares me year round.

If some of us do end up making the trip to TPC, will it be an overnighter for anyone else?

Leesee,

There is a famous perfume place in Yakima - they carry a lot of discontinued and hard to find items. Do you know about it?

PT is only similar in style, not in smell, to Lauren.

Generally TPH is a one day trip for me, but I'm pretty flexible about that.

Yakima?:bounce: Are you kidding me? Do tell!

If we end up doing TPH I can combine trip with a visit to my friend, so we can do whatever, however.

No way! My daughter and I were just in Yakima last month picking up her new horse. Would have loved to go sniffing but didn't know where to look.

Seattlelight needs to tell, tell, tell all.

It's in Walla Walla, not Yakima - so sorry for the mistake!

For some reason, I remembered it as Yakima, but I'm quite a few miles off.

It's called The Fragrance Factory. They're online as well - very reliable. Highly recommend.

Oh, yes, The Fragrance Factory. I used to purchase online from them when I lived in GA. I did not realize they were in Walla Walla. My cousins have this great restaurant near Walla Walla. I can combine a trip to The Fragrance Factory with a meal at my cousins' restaurant. Here's to you, seattlelight!