Code of Conduct

Default Clueless on fragrances.

I'm new to this cologne thing and was wondering if you could help me out. I need a daily winter scent and have no idea where to start. Could you please recommend some? Any and all help is appreciated, thank you.

Default Re: Clueless on fragrances.

Burberry London
    The critic has to educate the public; the artist has to educate the critic.

While Burberry London smells nice, it just does not last. Perhaps this problem will be solved if you overspray. Go to department stores that carry fragrances and test them out yourself. I got into fragrances back in late-August of this year so I'm fairly new as well. It takes a lot of time and research on this site to round up what you think you'll like as well as going to various stores and testing them out first hand.

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...nter+fragrance
    About 700 suggestions right there.
    Personally what I wore during winter :
    D & G pH
    Bogart pour Homme (cheap too!)
    le Male (popular in the US tho, not so much down here)
    Burberry London
    Dior Homme
    Last edited by Anthony87; 20th October 2008 at 11:15 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

See what you think about Tsar. I think it is a fresh scent with some lemon and pine, I wear it year-round.
    Something a little darker (just a little) is Armani (not the newer stuff), the original in the green box. Lemon-moss.
    both of these are classics.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

For winter I always think something warm and spicy , cinnamon , clove and citrus

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    While Burberry London smells nice, it just does not last. Perhaps this problem will be solved if you overspray. Go to department stores that carry fragrances and test them out yourself. I got into fragrances back in late-August of this year so I'm fairly new as well. It takes a lot of time and research on this site to round up what you think you'll like as well as going to various stores and testing them out first hand.
    3 sprays and I get 10 hours , maybe your bottle is just "bad". Who knows, but I find London wears very well.

drakkar noir
    dolce and gabbana pour homme
    chanel allure could be a good winter scent

all great choices, best thing to do is go to your local store which stock lots of fragrances and just test and test. test 4, on inside and outside of each wrist. test the ones from the suggestions you have got and come back an hour later and smell them again. you will know which one you want, if not keep testing. the assistants know there stuff so ask them aswell. gd luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    3 sprays and I get 10 hours , maybe your bottle is just "bad". Who knows, but I find London wears very well.
    Maybe we have different ideas about this issue. People have noted about the weak longevity of this. I could still smell it but just barely after three sprays after a little while. It did not project at all and I have to get right next to my arm to smell it. I want something that has strength. I will try it again but I doubt it will be any better. It's a shame since the smell is great.

Maybe we have different ideas about this issue. People have noted about the weak longevity of this. I could still smell it but just barely after three sprays after a little while. It did not project at all and I have to get right next to my arm to smell it. I want something that has strength. I will try it again but I doubt it will be any better. It's a shame since the smell is great.
    I think they designed London with close-quarters in mind. I've sprayed a lot on myself, and it always sticks close to the skin. You have to ask yourself, do you really need to hit people you see everyday in the face with your cologne?

Allo --
    JHL (Estee Lauder) is very nice, for winter. Very warm and spicy--a classic for the cooler months. Spanish Leather (Truefitt & Hill) is also good, as is R (Revillon).
    Regards,
    WTT
    Laura: What's that smell? It's sort of like something that's trying to be cologne.
    Dr. Katz: Oh, you know what that is? It's a fragrance for men.
    Laura: Oh--oh, and you're wearing it! I get it.
    Dr. Katz: What do you think? It takes some getting used to.
    Laura: Oh--that's a good name for it.
    --from Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist (Season 2, Episode 8)

This is a tough one. I have this problem with John Varvatos on my skin. 3 sprays and it does to me what London does to you ( if that makes sense ) . London projects enough on me that I have actually gotten compliments from men about the nice smell of pipe tobacco. I also get constant wafts after several hours.

It is too bad, but perhaps there is another similar scent out there for you . Longevity is important to me most of all actually. How does Varvatos work for you ?

It's hard to suggest something without knowing your general preferences, but here goes:
    Creed Bois du Portugal for business. Sharp smoky-spicy, lavender, cedar, vetiver. Quite elegant in a seruious no-nonsense way, but also great for crisp winter walks.
    Cacharel pour homme for evening/romantic wear. Citrus top, warm, soft, spicy nutmeg and woods

I think there's something in Burberry London Men that lots of people are more or less anosmic to. I can hardly smell it.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Coco Mademoiselle
    If you can actually pull this off, let me know what kind of comments you get.

I vote D&G Pour Homme

I tend to go for spicy orientals and close families. Many of the classics are also excellent cold weather fragrances. A few to try are:
    Opium PH Edt (or EdP if you can get it)
    Guerlain Heritage
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Creed Green Irish Tweed and Bois du Portugal. Some would also include Himalaya.
    I like l'Artisan Voleur de Roses in the fall and winter.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Gucci Envy or Gucci Pour Homme would be high on my list of winter recommendations.
    If you want to go with something even less common (and the Guccis are not that common)
    then get Eau Lente by Diptyque.

But you could also go with a year-around scent like Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
    or Guerlain Vetiver -- two of my favorites.

For something bold, also consider M7, by YSL.

Well, I just bought myself decants of Sushi Imperiale and Tea for Two, for winter. So I like those.

Then again, I'm female, and I very tentatively interpret 'cologne' as meaning you're male? Then again again, both of those are unisex.

I'll also be ordering decants of Dzongkha and Dzing!, but those don't strike me as being as easily everyday.

Crayfish