Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Exclamation All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, November 1, 2008 ★★★ SPICY

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance -or- Fougere
    ("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Jan. 2007~Orientals Feb. 2007~Animalics March 2007~Chypres April 2007~ Florals May 2007~Fruity June 2007~ Citrus Sept. 2007~Fougere Oct. 2007~ Amber Nov. 2007~Spicy Dec. 2007~ Gourmand Jan. 2008~Orientals Feb. 2008~Animalics March 2008~Chypres April 2008~Floral May 2008~Fruity June 2008~Citrus July 2008~Green Aug. 2008~Fresh/Aquatic Sept. 2008~Opposite Gender or Fougere Oct. 2008 ~ Amber

For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    Last edited by Quarry; 21st October 2008 at 12:00 AM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, November 1, 2008 ★★★ SPICY

Count me in with Ayala Moriel's Razala.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, November 1, 2008 ★★★ SPICY

I'll be in total bliss wearing Timbuktu !

Oohh..I'm thinking Five O'Clock Au Gigembre....Love love love it.

Blog Entries

My first thought was, "What! It's the end of the month already!" No, no; not this weekend, next weekend. Whew! I'm thinking I'll resample Daim Blond (been waiting for fall to do so), but I can't wait to see what else is mentioned by others.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Plus

I'm in! Contenders include Poivre Piquant, Coup de Fouet, Youth Dew, Gucci Envy for Men, Kingdom, Parfum Sacre...Love them spices!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

This is what I said last year...

"Oh man!!!

Will it be Kingdom? Cristobal? Initial? Ambre Russe? Parfum Sacre? Coco? YOUTH DEW?? Tea for Two?

Decisions decisions. :bounce:"

...still got the same problem!!!

(Another problem - my browser won't recognize whatever it is that comes before the word "Spicy" in the leader!!. All I get is little squares with numbers in them. Waaaah. Could somebody explain?)
    Last edited by TaoLady; 21st October 2008 at 12:27 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    My first thought was, "What! It's the end of the month already!" No, no; not this weekend, next weekend. Whew! I'm thinking I'll resample Daim Blond (been waiting for fall to do so), but I can't wait to see what else is mentioned by others.
    Hee-hee-hee. What with Lian's early jump on Thursday last week and my posting SnS a week early, plus Daylight Saving Time coming up, we've got you in a whirl, eh girl?

Just wanted to get SnS up and running cuz I'm not sure if/when I'll have 'net access during my vacation.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Yeah lets not mention Thursday..I can be such a mess in the mornings

Ill go for LArtisan Massacrante I think, only spicy and peppery perfume I have I think. Its not really my type of fragrance.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

MMMMM, YUM. I'm so there. Probably a choice of Noir Epices, Ginger by Lush or Coco...

I love spicy scents, some of my favorites: Theorema, Parfum Sacre, Chaos, Organza Indecence
    Currently wearing: Naturelle by Yves Rocher

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Remember, kids--Saturday's SnS!

I am planning to wear Caron's Poivre on one arm and Serge's Arabie on the other.
    Yipeee!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Uh, oh. I had tried a sample of L'Artisan Fleur d' Oranger and wasn't sure how I felt about it. I was going to wear it again tomorrow to find out, but that certainly won't do. Now I'll have to look through my other samples for something more suitable. Frapin Caravelle d' Epice sounds spicy, and I know I have a sample of that lying around....but it sounds a bit masculine. I'll have to sort through my box of (over 100) unsniffed samples for a new, spicy one to try.

I'm a complete novice here, but I'd like to join in - would l'Air du Desert Marocain be spicy enough? Or Incense Rose or Incense Extreme?

This will be interesting, because although I love spicy, woody, incensy smells, I haven't liked any perfumes from that part of the spectrum yet.

I'll be attending a Halloween party, and had already decided that Messe de Minuit would be my scent.

I'm so glad that one of my new loves fits the bill. I'll be wearing Parfums de Nicolai's Sacrebleu. Here's a paragraph from a marvelous review of it at Now Smell This by Angela.

Sacrebleu is a spicy, fruity mlange with a thick body of buttery flowers and a warm incense drydown. The Parfums de Nicola website lists Sacrebleus topnotes as mandarin oil and red fruits; its heart as carnation, tuberose, jasmine, and cinnamon oil; and its base as frankincense, patchouli, sandalwood, peru balsam, and tonka bean absolute. read the rest of the review here:
    http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...2/3404478.html
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Wow SNS weekend already? That was quick. Today I'm in Tea for Two.

I'm trying out Lalique White, which just came out for men here in Europe. It is delightful and very unisex! Cardamom, bay, juniper, too many spices to name. It reminds me of an old-fashioned bay rum cologne from the Caribbean. Invigorating and warm! My only complaint, the same one I have for most colognes, is longevity. But it lasts about 3 hours, which is much better than my Chanel EdC.

For me, it's the incomparable Caravelle Epicee by Frapin.

It is a rich soft-oriental with notes of coriander, nutmeg, hot pepper, pepper, thyme, Gaiac wood, patchouli, amber, tobacco and sandalwood.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I went to bed in Poivre and Kretek-
    But I'm trying not to aggravate my patients at work [yes, I'm going to work today...I think it might be good for me]-
    So I'm in Liz Z 's Ginger in Love today- a true ginger, truer than any other [ sorry, 5 O'Clock !], and fuzzy.

Me loves spicy month !
    So many choices...

I changed my mind and went for Tea for Two, third day I'm wearing it..I just love it
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    I went for Tea for Two, third day I'm wearing it..I just love it
    ditto!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

I wasn't feeling adventurous today, and I remembered that I had a sample vial of Czech and Speake's Frankincense and Myrrh. I have never tried it, but at one time used the matching burning oil (the sort you put in a ring on a light bulb) quite often, so it seemed safe and familiar .

The card says that, "The oriental depth of Frankinsence with its smooth balsamic freshness, has been enhanced by the bitter citrus notes of Myrrh, reinforced by orris root, chamomile and lavender."

There are some citrus notes at first, though they seem to be disappearing fast. There's an underlying warm smell that's more like the idea of how incense should smell, rather than the way it really does. I don't quite have the labels for what I can smell yet. It doesn't have obvious culinary spice notes, but there's an earthy-woody-spicy smell - sandalwood, maybe.

I don't dislike the smell, but it feels odd to wear it. I don't really feel connected to it.

NOIR EPICES.

It has the most amazing clarity on opening: peppery notes add a glass-like "bright" element to scents that I find incredibly beautiful.

A sweeter, cola-like, note warms on my skin shortly after applying.

It's like the spicy elements of Coco shaved off and amplified with all guns blazing.

Unapologetically spicy, blended to perfection. I find it so gorgeous! Might need to consider a full bottle one day... (have my precious 5ml spray still; this stuff is so potent it will last for a while yet).

My first ever S'n'S!

By happy coincidence, I am swathed in the spicy mysteriousness of Dzonghka.

*I* think I smell hot to trot, but my girlfriend hates the stuff. She just told me that I smell (and I quote): 'Like an old vicar who lives by himself and doesn't wash enough and who wears mouldy old after shave.'

Well, that's me told, then

Hello, Soirdelune, it's my first S'n'S too .

How do you find your Andy Tauer's, Ailuros? Incense Rose makes me smell like a rancid hippie, though I kinda like the smell (just not on my person). Haven't tried Incense Extreme, but on the basis of the aforementioned I've a feeling we wouldn't work out
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

I haven't tried them yet. I did sniff some Air du Desert Maroccain on a piece of paper, but not on skin.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    [yes, I'm going to work today...I think it might be good for me]
    It will! I always find that when things are down on the homefront, it's nice to be reminded that I work with a great group of people who were eagerly anticipating my return. Plus, things run so much smoother when I'm there. I guess that's just the control freak in me! Or maybe it's just nice to feel needed!

Today I'll be bold.
    For Spicy Sniff 'n' Speak Day
    I'll try Jaipur Homme.

Edit: I tried Jaipur Homme EdP at the recommendation of someone who knows I like vanilla. It really is a spicy scent, mostly in the first few hours. Cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, maybe coriander, too? Like spices I'd use for moussaka, almost. Lots of heliotrope too (bitter almond-like smell). But after 4 hours, the spices kind of calm down, and this musky vanilla smell comes out. With the EdP, it lasted for a good 12 hours, and it probably would have lasted longer had I not needed to take a shower. Sillage was pretty good too.

Some day, I'll compare the EdT with the EdP.
    Last edited by Aiona; 2nd November 2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Notes about testing