Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Exclamation All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, November 1, 2008 ★★★ SPICY

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance -or- Fougere
    ("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Jan. 2007~Orientals Feb. 2007~Animalics March 2007~Chypres April 2007~ Florals May 2007~Fruity June 2007~ Citrus Sept. 2007~Fougere Oct. 2007~ Amber Nov. 2007~Spicy Dec. 2007~ Gourmand Jan. 2008~Orientals Feb. 2008~Animalics March 2008~Chypres April 2008~Floral May 2008~Fruity June 2008~Citrus July 2008~Green Aug. 2008~Fresh/Aquatic Sept. 2008~Opposite Gender or Fougere Oct. 2008 ~ Amber

For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    Last edited by Quarry; 21st October 2008 at 01:00 AM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, November 1, 2008 ★★★ SPICY

Count me in with Ayala Moriel's Razala.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, November 1, 2008 ★★★ SPICY

I'll be in total bliss wearing Timbuktu !

Oohh..I'm thinking Five O'Clock Au Gigembre....Love love love it.

Blog Entries

My first thought was, "What! It's the end of the month already!" No, no; not this weekend, next weekend. Whew! I'm thinking I'll resample Daim Blond (been waiting for fall to do so), but I can't wait to see what else is mentioned by others.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Plus

I'm in! Contenders include Poivre Piquant, Coup de Fouet, Youth Dew, Gucci Envy for Men, Kingdom, Parfum Sacre...Love them spices!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

This is what I said last year...

"Oh man!!!

Will it be Kingdom? Cristobal? Initial? Ambre Russe? Parfum Sacre? Coco? YOUTH DEW?? Tea for Two?

Decisions decisions. :bounce:"

...still got the same problem!!!

(Another problem - my browser won't recognize whatever it is that comes before the word "Spicy" in the leader!!. All I get is little squares with numbers in them. Waaaah. Could somebody explain?)
    Last edited by TaoLady; 21st October 2008 at 01:27 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    My first thought was, "What! It's the end of the month already!" No, no; not this weekend, next weekend. Whew! I'm thinking I'll resample Daim Blond (been waiting for fall to do so), but I can't wait to see what else is mentioned by others.
    Hee-hee-hee. What with Lian's early jump on Thursday last week and my posting SnS a week early, plus Daylight Saving Time coming up, we've got you in a whirl, eh girl?

Just wanted to get SnS up and running cuz I'm not sure if/when I'll have 'net access during my vacation.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Yeah lets not mention Thursday..I can be such a mess in the mornings

Ill go for LArtisan Massacrante I think, only spicy and peppery perfume I have I think. Its not really my type of fragrance.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

MMMMM, YUM. I'm so there. Probably a choice of Noir Epices, Ginger by Lush or Coco...

I love spicy scents, some of my favorites: Theorema, Parfum Sacre, Chaos, Organza Indecence

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Remember, kids--Saturday's SnS!

I am planning to wear Caron's Poivre on one arm and Serge's Arabie on the other.
    Yipeee!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Uh, oh. I had tried a sample of L'Artisan Fleur d' Oranger and wasn't sure how I felt about it. I was going to wear it again tomorrow to find out, but that certainly won't do. Now I'll have to look through my other samples for something more suitable. Frapin Caravelle d' Epice sounds spicy, and I know I have a sample of that lying around....but it sounds a bit masculine. I'll have to sort through my box of (over 100) unsniffed samples for a new, spicy one to try.

I'm a complete novice here, but I'd like to join in - would l'Air du Desert Marocain be spicy enough? Or Incense Rose or Incense Extreme?

This will be interesting, because although I love spicy, woody, incensy smells, I haven't liked any perfumes from that part of the spectrum yet.

I'll be attending a Halloween party, and had already decided that Messe de Minuit would be my scent.

I'm so glad that one of my new loves fits the bill. I'll be wearing Parfums de Nicolai's Sacrebleu. Here's a paragraph from a marvelous review of it at Now Smell This by Angela.

Sacrebleu is a spicy, fruity mlange with a thick body of buttery flowers and a warm incense drydown. The Parfums de Nicola website lists Sacrebleus topnotes as mandarin oil and red fruits; its heart as carnation, tuberose, jasmine, and cinnamon oil; and its base as frankincense, patchouli, sandalwood, peru balsam, and tonka bean absolute. read the rest of the review here:
    http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...2/3404478.html
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Wow SNS weekend already? That was quick. Today I'm in Tea for Two.

I'm trying out Lalique White, which just came out for men here in Europe. It is delightful and very unisex! Cardamom, bay, juniper, too many spices to name. It reminds me of an old-fashioned bay rum cologne from the Caribbean. Invigorating and warm! My only complaint, the same one I have for most colognes, is longevity. But it lasts about 3 hours, which is much better than my Chanel EdC.

For me, it's the incomparable Caravelle Epicee by Frapin.

It is a rich soft-oriental with notes of coriander, nutmeg, hot pepper, pepper, thyme, Gaiac wood, patchouli, amber, tobacco and sandalwood.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I went to bed in Poivre and Kretek-
    But I'm trying not to aggravate my patients at work [yes, I'm going to work today...I think it might be good for me]-
    So I'm in Liz Z 's Ginger in Love today- a true ginger, truer than any other [ sorry, 5 O'Clock !], and fuzzy.

Me loves spicy month !
    So many choices...

I changed my mind and went for Tea for Two, third day I'm wearing it..I just love it
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    I went for Tea for Two, third day I'm wearing it..I just love it
    ditto!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

I wasn't feeling adventurous today, and I remembered that I had a sample vial of Czech and Speake's Frankincense and Myrrh. I have never tried it, but at one time used the matching burning oil (the sort you put in a ring on a light bulb) quite often, so it seemed safe and familiar .

The card says that, "The oriental depth of Frankinsence with its smooth balsamic freshness, has been enhanced by the bitter citrus notes of Myrrh, reinforced by orris root, chamomile and lavender."

There are some citrus notes at first, though they seem to be disappearing fast. There's an underlying warm smell that's more like the idea of how incense should smell, rather than the way it really does. I don't quite have the labels for what I can smell yet. It doesn't have obvious culinary spice notes, but there's an earthy-woody-spicy smell - sandalwood, maybe.

I don't dislike the smell, but it feels odd to wear it. I don't really feel connected to it.

NOIR EPICES.

It has the most amazing clarity on opening: peppery notes add a glass-like "bright" element to scents that I find incredibly beautiful.

A sweeter, cola-like, note warms on my skin shortly after applying.

It's like the spicy elements of Coco shaved off and amplified with all guns blazing.

Unapologetically spicy, blended to perfection. I find it so gorgeous! Might need to consider a full bottle one day... (have my precious 5ml spray still; this stuff is so potent it will last for a while yet).

My first ever S'n'S!

By happy coincidence, I am swathed in the spicy mysteriousness of Dzonghka.

*I* think I smell hot to trot, but my girlfriend hates the stuff. She just told me that I smell (and I quote): 'Like an old vicar who lives by himself and doesn't wash enough and who wears mouldy old after shave.'

Well, that's me told, then

Hello, Soirdelune, it's my first S'n'S too .

How do you find your Andy Tauer's, Ailuros? Incense Rose makes me smell like a rancid hippie, though I kinda like the smell (just not on my person). Haven't tried Incense Extreme, but on the basis of the aforementioned I've a feeling we wouldn't work out
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

I haven't tried them yet. I did sniff some Air du Desert Maroccain on a piece of paper, but not on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    [yes, I'm going to work today...I think it might be good for me]
    It will! I always find that when things are down on the homefront, it's nice to be reminded that I work with a great group of people who were eagerly anticipating my return. Plus, things run so much smoother when I'm there. I guess that's just the control freak in me! Or maybe it's just nice to feel needed!

Today I'll be bold.
    For Spicy Sniff 'n' Speak Day
    I'll try Jaipur Homme.

Edit: I tried Jaipur Homme EdP at the recommendation of someone who knows I like vanilla. It really is a spicy scent, mostly in the first few hours. Cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, maybe coriander, too? Like spices I'd use for moussaka, almost. Lots of heliotrope too (bitter almond-like smell). But after 4 hours, the spices kind of calm down, and this musky vanilla smell comes out. With the EdP, it lasted for a good 12 hours, and it probably would have lasted longer had I not needed to take a shower. Sillage was pretty good too.

Some day, I'll compare the EdT with the EdP.
    Last edited by Aiona; 2nd November 2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Notes about testing

Scrummaging around for a sample of PdN Sacrebleue for today's SnS...I encountered my teensy sample of the DIVINE....

....about which Victoria has this to say:...."The warmth of spices is layered over the vibrant richness of woods, making Idole de Lubin one of the most voluptuous and darkest fragrances composed by Olivia Giacobetti. .... the fragrance burns with the passionate intensity of sweet spices. A hot flame of clove accented by pepper slowly spills into the heart of the composition .....into smooth folds of orange sweetened leather. The base is filled with..caramel ...redolent vapours of rum.... their warmth imbuing the darkness of woods with appealing sweetness. Against the backdrop of dark rosy sandalwood, a whisper of incense smoke lends an ethereal touch."

Whooo boy! When The World straightens itself out I am investing in a QUART of this voluptuous, sumptuous... sexy stuff.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I love these SnS days but I've missed the last two, so it's nice to participate again with the Spice day.

My choice is Ambre Topkapi by Pierre Bourdin for MDCI. The notes are bergamot, grapefruit, pineapple, melon, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg ginger, basil, thyme, lavender, oak moss, vetiver, sandalwood, rosewood, leather, Darjeeling tea, amber, musk, vanilla, jasmine and violet.

I have worn Ambre Topkapi before, albeit briefly, and it is unutterably lovelier today than on any other occasion. I'm sure it is not classed as a spicey scent, but it contains sufficient spices - cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger - to lure me in. After the hint in the immediate opening, I am waiting for them to make their presence felt. I applied the scent about twenty minutes ago and the blend is as smooth as silk. It softened very quickly to reveal the fruits and herbs. Memory tricked me into expecting more lavender. Though my nose can detect it there, it is subtler today than I recall of previous wears. I am glad of that.

Ambre Topkapi is marketed towards men. If I smelled it on a man, I would follow him anywhere.

Update edit: it took me half an hour to send that post due to problems with my PC. That has given Ambre Topkapi a little more time to reveal itself. I can now detect a spicey note there. It would take a more sensitive nose than mine to do justice to this scent, but I think the ginger and cardamom have put in an appearance. They are warm without being overt. The notes in AT come and go with magical effect.

I'm so pleased I chose this beauty today.
    Last edited by Sestra; 1st November 2008 at 02:15 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Shout out to our two SnS newbies Ailuros and soirdelune :wave:

I'm playing three scents against each other: Amber Narguile, TBS Patchouli and L'Air du Desert Marocain, trying to take the apple pie out of AN. I am, um, interesting smelling.

Howdy howdy howdy to our SnS newbs - see, it's not so bad, is it?

I'm wearing Caron's Poivre (translates as 'pepper') on one wrist and Serge Lutens' Arabie on the other. I expected Arabie to be all spices and the smell of the souk but no, it starts out herbal and quite green and balsamic. As it wears in it's getting sweeter and rather woodier and a bit spicier. I quite like it but I'm not crazy for it. But wearing it stretches my perception of perfume and increases my knowledge - the reason I always try to join in with SnS - I learn a lot on these days.

Poivre, on the other hand, is an old friend. I know it got trashed by Turin and Sanchez, but I love this stuff. It has all the prickle and clovey spice of an intensified carnation, but still as sweet as a real flower. Not oversweet, but not dry at all. In my humble opinion, this stuff is magical and fabulous. I only have a little vial and I eke it out, but I'm lucky enough to have a bottle of the edt version, Coup de Fouet and think it's wonderful. It's not as rich, obviously, but it's pretty true to the amazing thing I'm currently wearing on my wrist. Please excuse me while I do the Basenotes salute* and make the Homer Simpson drooling noise...

*The Basenotes Salute is that deep inhalation from the wrist that marks you out as a perfumista or colognoisseur.

Tao, as a fellow fan of Ambre Narguile and Ambre Russe, (both very foody, spicy, sweet) how do you think Idole de Lubin compares? I remember trying and liking it last winter, but I don't know how it would compare to the others as I haven't smelled it recently.

And finally, I really hope SMM is wearing one of his gingerbreads today and gives us one of his immortal pieces of Ginger Noir prose...

Added the following day:
    Arabie proved to be very interesting as it travelled through the day. I will confess that the slightly astringent green herbs of the opening are not my taste, but I did enjoy the change and they worked surprisingly well with the Poivre, adding another dimension. As the evening wore on, the base developed a lovely deep woody accord which I liked very much. It lasted very well and while I enjoyed wearing it I can see it as tending slightly more towards the masculine side.

Today I wore Coup de Fouet to compare it to the Poivre. It's very definitely the little sister, being the edt to Poivre's edp, but it has the same spicy characteristics and sweetish floral underpinnings. I'd say the crack of spice is greater with this, even though the intensity isn't there, and the overall balance is less sweet and more spicy. I felt the top notes were a bit more lemony. It doesn't last as well as Poivre, but that's not surprising. I often wear this in the daytime in winter, as it's not too in-your-face. I think it would be fine for the office.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 3rd November 2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: more data
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Basenotes Plus

MPG George Sand for me. Lots of warm spices, a muted rose, and a healthy dose of a smooth, rich patchouli thrown in for good measure. Fits right in with things like Coco, Opium, and Cinnabar. Beautiful to wear at this time of year, but a sultry delight in warmer weather, too.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Great big basenotes "Hello" to our noobies!
    I'm testing the new Eau D'Italie Baume Du Doge from a sample I picked up at LAFCO during the Sniffapalooza weekend.
    Notes are:
    orange, cinnamon, cardamon
    frankincense, saffron, myrrh
    vetiver, vanilla, benzoin
    I need to let this settle down a bit & see how I like it.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

bleu autumn haze

So many choices for today's S&S ... but I reached for Opium.

Today is shaping up to be one of those last glorious days of fall, the weather is warm but there is still a bit of crispness to the air. The leaves have turned and are such a beautiful color. The trees are doing their best to hold on to them just a few more days. The carved jack-o-lanterns are still on our porch from last night, although they look a little tired and scorched in the sunlight. The sky is a clear bright blue color that makes a perfect backdrop for the leaves and there is an excitement as I get ready to watch a football game, the rival game Kansas vs Kansas State. And Opium is the perfect accompaniment to all of this.

The notes (from Osmoz) include:
    top notes: Cinnamom, Pepper, Orange, Pimento
    heart note: Carnation, Jasmine, Rose, Ylang-Ylang
    base note: Vanilla, Benzoin, Patchouli, Opoponax
    I've trademarked the color bleu

FIve hours after application, Sacrebleu's drydown is really satisfying. I am pretty fascinated by this composition of candied fruit and woody incense. These are notes I would not think of putting together, but I suddenly think of a winter carnival at a local historic village that I took the kids to years ago. There were candied apples, baked goods and crafts for sale, ice sculpture and wood fires. I suppose that Sacrebleu would be right at home at such a carnival, the aroma of good things to eat and a woodsy smokey atmosphere. A feeling of festivity.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 1st November 2008 at 04:54 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Smile Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, November 1, 2008 ★★★ SPICY

I'm in Five O'Clock Au Gigembre, which could also go into the gourmand category I think. Love love love it so far, but then again, I love ginger. It's warm and comforting...like a good cup of black tea on a blustery grey day. I'll get back with a more thorough review later, since I just put it on 30 minutes ago...^_^

I just put on Estee Lauder Cinnabar (thank you, Lushsoup).
    Yowsa, I do believe this qualifies as a 'Spicy!' It's all about spicy, peachy aldehydes right now, lots of cinnamon...looking forward to the clove and then seeing if I can detect the floral aspects. Will report later...

EDIT: Okay, yes, I did detect very faint evidence of jasmine and ylang-ylang, but it really is knocked out by the aldehydes and cinnamon. The combination of vanilla and vetiver in the drydown made me think of Habanita, but it's a much softer and less sweet blend in Cinnabar. I did not detect at all any orris or amber.
    Last edited by turquoisewater; 1st November 2008 at 07:39 PM. Reason: progression

Another in Tea for Two, here. I'm wearing it from a sample, and for the first time, and so far I am loving it - possibly full bottle worthy.

I don't really think of myself as someone who likes smoky scents, but I like the smokiness here. I get bits of cinnamon, ginger and clove, but I don't find this to be an in-your-face spicy scent - it's smoothed out and well rounded. I also get a faint hit of fruit (bergamot?) that's more like an after-taste (after-smell?) than anything. An impression of fruitiness, if you will.

My boyfriend likes it, too - he keeps picking up my arm to smell my wrist!

Yet another in Tea for Two. As the day moves on I've decided it belongs on my wishlist. Yes kayedawn, I agree it is FBW. I love SnS.

(turquoisewater: Cinnabar and I have been arguing. Evidently her aldehydes and the back of my throat have had words. I hope she behaves well for you.)
    Last edited by lushsoup; 1st November 2008 at 06:25 PM.

I wasn't in the mood this morning for anything super spicy, but I wanted to participate in Sniff 'n Speak so decided on Bourbon French Perfumery's Kus Kus, which is a warm, soft, powdery, slightly spicy fragrance. Their website doesn't list the fragrance notes, but I definitely get a soft amber, something sweetish like vanilla, and just a touch of spice (whatever it is). This is the cologne version, which is surprisingly long lasting, but the parfum is richer and deeper. If you're ever in New Orleans you should check out Bourbon French Perfumery. They make some nice fragrances.

Yes, Lushsoup, those aldehydes are a killer - I think I'll call them relentless! I read foetidus' review think it may be true that the cinnamon is enhancing the aldehydes.

I don't dislike Cinnabar, but it is quite sharp for a while.

I'm in Chanel ~ Coromandel for now. Very spicy and a tiny bit medicinal on top. The mid notes have some of the flowers peeking through. And I am getting the chocolate note that everyone talks about in the base notes. It gets smoother and creamier as time goes by.

Pulled out the discontinued Montana Just Me for today - my all time fave industrial spicy powerhouse oriental, created by Francoise Caron, who also created Escada Collection. I'm afraid it was too extroverted since it hasn't been on the market for a long time...sigh...

Just put on Ayala Moriel's Razala - I'm a bit of a late-starter today!

Strong, sweet and peppery opening, with black pepper, myrrh and dose of rich white florals - hello tuberose - sweetening and bulking it. I get some citrus and neroli, which added to sweet spices gives a raisiny mulled-wine effect. My nose swears its getting a touch of jasmine in this, though it's not listed in the notes.

All in all a heavy, rich, oriental feeling to the blend. The medicinal, rubbery side of myrrh is evident but well-covered by the sweetness of the other notes. Sniffed on my wrist directly it's a bit strange and strong - there's an inherent discord from the diversity - but in the air around me it's smoother and sweeter.

I'm now in one of my fav's Chanel ~ Coco. I love this spicy loud frag!

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    .....Tao, as a fellow fan of Ambre Narguile and Ambre Russe, (both very foody, spicy, sweet) how do you think Idole de Lubin compares? I remember trying and liking it last winter, but I don't know how it would compare to the others as I haven't smelled it recently......
    Hmmmnnn.

Can't speak for Ambre Narguile which...if I tried it, I don't remember anything about it.

BUT - as anyone unfortunate enough to be within earshot knows - I ADORE Ambre Russe, which on me is all Cossack-y leather and Turkish cigarettes over a crystalline amber swirling through an incensed church.

Idole - on the other hand - is cloves and oranges and has a jungle growl of rum and sandalwood and caramel.

Both are - um - masterpieces (In my never-humble opinion) but not at all like each other. I'm not good at making comparisons between frags anyway - still too much of a new-ie!! But I would venture to guess it is veryYOU.

Givenchy Organza Indecence

Notes: (from Givenchy)
    Top: Cinnamon, Tangerine
    Heart: Jacaranda Wood, Plum
    Base: Amber, Patchouli

I bought Organza Indecence when it first came out, so my bottle is the feminine one with the open, flowing gown, and the fragrance is EDP strength. At the time, I was already a lover of the Original Organza, and OI was having a special on gift sets, so I also got a cute mini, some body lotion and shower gel. It appears they no longer make the body products, and I am not sure if the fragrance is the same juice, but I read on the Givenchy site that the re-release is also an EDP. The new bottle is blocky, a tall rectangle like the Serge Lutens export line.

I am not generally very keen on fragrances that emphasize spices (eg, Serge Lutens Russe or Arabie), but for some reason, I never really noticed the cinnamon in OI. Spraying it now, I do smell the cinnamon more (since I am paying attention, probably), but it is not an edible cinnamon or part of a spice melange. Rather, it blends initially with the other top and mid notes to give a sort of tart fruit and light wood effect. In some ways it reminds me of a holiday potpourri, but it definitely does not have a cheap candle quality. Still, the combination of citrus, spice and wood is very reminiscent of wintertime holidays. In fact, OI is a great cool weather scent either by association, or by the depth and relative heaviness of the composition.

As the top notes burn off, I notice the patchouli much more. Sandalwood is not mentioned in the notes, but I smell something that could pass for sandalwood--it is a dusty, sweet wood smell with no cedar notes that I can detect. It compliments the cinnamon and patchouli very nicely--the patchouli becomes more rounded and the cinnamon helps the fragrance retain just enough sharpness to keep it from becoming fuzzy. Another note which is not listed is Vanilla, but I am sure it is in there (it could be in the amber accord), pulling the whole composition together. One of the mid-notes that becomes more apparent is a sort of preserved fruit note--either dried fruits or fruits steeped in brandy.

Further into the development, the cinnamon is still present, the sandalwood becomes more strong and the fruits fade. The sandalwood is a bit more powdery at this stage. Sometimes it seems like the cinnamon comes out more, but then a later sniff smells more like sandalwood. The patchouli is also still there, but quiet and earthy. Smelling the fragrance close to my skin, I can smell distinct notes, Smelling it further away, it is a gorgeous blend. The combination is creamy, not what one would expect given the notes. At the same time it still has a pleasant "bite", like a kind of tree wood that does not exist in nature.

I think the deep drydown is what most people associate with this fragrance, and it is well worth the wait. The creamyness amplifies as the sharper top and mid notes soften. The result is a beautiful creamy vanilla sandalwood with light cinnamon spice. It is still not edible-smelling, but it is incredibly voluptuous without being pretentious, and gracefully soft without being girly. It is really a difficult scent to describe--I find my self resorting back to the individual notes, but again, their combination is what makes this one special.

Overall, the fragrance is complex and deep, but is not extreme in its development. In fact, I would say it is mostly linear except that different stages highlight different parts of the scent quite well. I always used to think it had very strong sillage, but now it seems more moderate. Compared to a fragrance like Mugler's Angel, OI is mild mannered and genteel. It is not light by any means, but not a shrinking violet, either. Longevity is excellent--after 10 hours I can still smell it. It is light at this point, but not so light to be a skin scent.

As I write this, I am struck by the similarity of OI to Shiseido Feminite du Bois. Both are orientals built primarily on a woody base with spices and dried fruits. Where FdB focuses on cedar and cumin, OI highlights sandalwood and cinnamon. In either case, there is a comforting quality that makes me want to be enveloped in the scent. With OI, the fragrance hints at being edible without turning into candy or cake. I love the contrast of sharp and soft, sweet and dry or dusty. I love how the all the ingredients work together so that the cinnamon becomes part of the fragrance composition rather than taking over (a very common problem with some spices). Mostly, though, I love the blend that is more than the sum of its parts.

Basenotes Institution

Well everyone knows that spicy scents are some of my favorites - so it was extremely hard to pick scents to wear today, since I have so many spicy scents and samples.

I went in the AM with Cinnamon (Series 5: Sherbet) by Comme des Garcons. This is the perfect warm weather cinnamon fragrance. Nose tickling spices, with a watery effect when sniffed. It's not very sweet, more like cinnamon sticks in a vase full of cold water. However when it warms on the skin, the faint smell of cinnamon rises from your skin. This happens to also be the 1st fragrance I ever bought from Scent Bar in Los Angeles, when I visited a couple years ago. It's a scent, most likely I will always have in my wardrobe.

The afternoon was Comme des Garcons EdP. Two sprays - no more, or this stuff gets cloying. I'm starting to love this more and more. In the beginning, the medicinal top notes were a little frustrating to wear, but now my nose has become attenuated to the scent and it's quite fascinating to wear. If I had to think of an olfactory association, I think it smells like a combination of clove oil (you know, that oil that you can apply to in the inside of you gums, when you have tooth pain?) and nitrous oxide. It also happens to be a favorite of my husband's. It never ceases to gain me a compliment, when I apply it and he smells me. Which is kind of nice too.

In the evening, it was Jubilation XXV by Amouage. Just the perfect marriage of spices, frankincense, smoke and sweetness. It makes me smile everytime I spray it on. I think the effect I get is gingerbread cookie, initially. But this gourmand effect fades and then all of the spices and resins combine to create the unique accord that is JXVV. The new Aedes scent by L'Artisan smells similar to JXVV, in the top notes, but then kind of falls flat and sour on my skin after a while. The JXVV just develops perfectly and I always feel extremely comfortable in it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd November 2008 at 04:47 AM.

Thumbs up Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, November 1, 2008 ★★★ SPICY

Late to the game but must comment on Five O'Clock Au Gigembre. It stayed close to the skin all day though not quite a 'skin scent' (almost!) on me, and it lasted about 6 hours. I reapplied vigorously. I know the reviews on Basenotes have not been terribly positive, but I just love this warm and elegant scent. The ginger part was rather linear and constant, but about halfway in, the ginger rested on a bed of vanilla (with a touch of honey), and being a total vanilla freak, that was fine with me. Heavenly.

Blog Entries

Okay, I've temporarily lost my bottle of new Chaos. I'm assuming it's temporary. I took a few bags of things to Goodwill last month, but I don't think it accidently ended up in one of them. And I did temporarily lose my bottle of Gucci Envy for a couple of months after a vacation last June, so it's somewhere I'm sure. But I didn't have it for SnS today. I have lots of new sample smellies, but none are spicy. However, I'm very good to go for chypres, leathers, and gourmands! So I went thru old samples that I had been neglecting and rediscovered Ormonde Jayne Orris Noir. Oh, geez am I glad I ignored this all summer! It is so, so perfect for this cool, rainy, fall day! I love the initial blast of brash pepper and spices that makes my nose tingle! Then later, the drydown, with the touch of incense and dry patchouli! Wow! This is so beautiful. Someday, when I'm feeling fat in the wallet, I want a bottle of this. In the meantime, I will continue to indulge sparingly, and keep looking for my d@mn Chaos!
    Last edited by Heartwood; 2nd November 2008 at 06:53 AM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

My favorite sinus-clearing spice is CdG Original-the pepper runs through to drydown, matched with a full spice box of sharp and smooth favorites: notes of labdanum, cedarwood, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, honey, clove, nutmeg, and sandalwood. Mmmm.

Also love Spezie de Medici for the holiday time.

Asha,

thanks for that great review, I even smell the scent by reading it

I recently tested the new release in the blocky bottle, and at least on the paper strip, it smelled the same. I was more than happy to discover it was available again. Btw, I also get a similarity to FdB.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Givenchy Organza Indecence

Notes: (from Givenchy)
    Top: Cinnamon, Tangerine
    Heart: Jacaranda Wood, Plum
    Base: Amber, Patchouli

I bought Organza Indecence when it first came out, so my bottle is the feminine one with the open, flowing gown, and the fragrance is EDP strength. At the time, I was already a lover of the Original Organza, and OI was having a special on gift sets, so I also got a cute mini, some body lotion and shower gel. It appears they no longer make the body products, and I am not sure if the fragrance is the same juice, but I read on the Givenchy site that the re-release is also an EDP. The new bottle is blocky, a tall rectangle like the Serge Lutens export line.

I am not generally very keen on fragrances that emphasize spices (eg, Serge Lutens Russe or Arabie), but for some reason, I never really noticed the cinnamon in OI. Spraying it now, I do smell the cinnamon more (since I am paying attention, probably), but it is not an edible cinnamon or part of a spice melange. Rather, it blends initially with the other top and mid notes to give a sort of tart fruit and light wood effect. In some ways it reminds me of a holiday potpourri, but it definitely does not have a cheap candle quality. Still, the combination of citrus, spice and wood is very reminiscent of wintertime holidays. In fact, OI is a great cool weather scent either by association, or by the depth and relative heaviness of the composition.

As the top notes burn off, I notice the patchouli much more. Sandalwood is not mentioned in the notes, but I smell something that could pass for sandalwood--it is a dusty, sweet wood smell with no cedar notes that I can detect. It compliments the cinnamon and patchouli very nicely--the patchouli becomes more rounded and the cinnamon helps the fragrance retain just enough sharpness to keep it from becoming fuzzy. Another note which is not listed is Vanilla, but I am sure it is in there (it could be in the amber accord), pulling the whole composition together. One of the mid-notes that becomes more apparent is a sort of preserved fruit note--either dried fruits or fruits steeped in brandy.

Further into the development, the cinnamon is still present, the sandalwood becomes more strong and the fruits fade. The sandalwood is a bit more powdery at this stage. Sometimes it seems like the cinnamon comes out more, but then a later sniff smells more like sandalwood. The patchouli is also still there, but quiet and earthy. Smelling the fragrance close to my skin, I can smell distinct notes, Smelling it further away, it is a gorgeous blend. The combination is creamy, not what one would expect given the notes. At the same time it still has a pleasant "bite", like a kind of tree wood that does not exist in nature.

I think the deep drydown is what most people associate with this fragrance, and it is well worth the wait. The creamyness amplifies as the sharper top and mid notes soften. The result is a beautiful creamy vanilla sandalwood with light cinnamon spice. It is still not edible-smelling, but it is incredibly voluptuous without being pretentious, and gracefully soft without being girly. It is really a difficult scent to describe--I find my self resorting back to the individual notes, but again, their combination is what makes this one special.

Overall, the fragrance is complex and deep, but is not extreme in its development. In fact, I would say it is mostly linear except that different stages highlight different parts of the scent quite well. I always used to think it had very strong sillage, but now it seems more moderate. Compared to a fragrance like Mugler's Angel, OI is mild mannered and genteel. It is not light by any means, but not a shrinking violet, either. Longevity is excellent--after 10 hours I can still smell it. It is light at this point, but not so light to be a skin scent.

As I write this, I am struck by the similarity of OI to Shiseido Feminite du Bois. Both are orientals built primarily on a woody base with spices and dried fruits. Where FdB focuses on cedar and cumin, OI highlights sandalwood and cinnamon. In either case, there is a comforting quality that makes me want to be enveloped in the scent. With OI, the fragrance hints at being edible without turning into candy or cake. I love the contrast of sharp and soft, sweet and dry or dusty. I love how the all the ingredients work together so that the cinnamon becomes part of the fragrance composition rather than taking over (a very common problem with some spices). Mostly, though, I love the blend that is more than the sum of its parts.

Annette-
    I'm so thrilled to see you here again !!!!
    MWAH !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Scrummaging around for a sample of PdN Sacrebleue for today's SnS...I encountered my teensy sample of the DIVINE....

....about which Victoria has this to say:...."The warmth of spices is layered over the vibrant richness of woods, making Idole de Lubin one of the most voluptuous and darkest fragrances composed by Olivia Giacobetti. .... the fragrance burns with the passionate intensity of sweet spices. A hot flame of clove accented by pepper slowly spills into the heart of the composition .....into smooth folds of orange sweetened leather. The base is filled with..caramel ...redolent vapours of rum.... their warmth imbuing the darkness of woods with appealing sweetness. Against the backdrop of dark rosy sandalwood, a whisper of incense smoke lends an ethereal touch."

Whooo boy! When The World straightens itself out I am investing in a QUART of this voluptuous, sumptuous... sexy stuff.
    Oh, man - I'm sitting on a sample of this stuff, which has just been languishing. Once I found out that Olivia did Fou d'Absinthe, which I adore, I could not resist hitting the "Add To Basket" button. Thanks, Taolady - I shall break out the Idole this week!

But yesterday, it was...

L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two

For SnS Saturday (spicy), no better choice than a spicy cup of tea with the girls! My initial impression of this one was excellent, and this latest wearing was even better. Although it appears two-dimensional (tea and spice crackers), there is something else in between, which I detected this time. The only reason I didn't buy this one is that there are other L'Artisan scents that I love better, and I'm not ready to buy the entire line. Notice that I am not strictly ruling out such a purchase!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    I'm not good at making comparisons between frags anyway - still too much of a new-ie!!
    We're not buying that line from you anymore, lady!

Asha, thank you for taking the great deal of time that's required to compose all the thoughts and words for your palpable reviews.

RHM, any more thoughts on Baume Du Doge? That's one I've wondered about since I read of its release.

Zzings! Welcome, welcome, welcome. So glad to have you join in the dance.

Gotta get back to work, but just had to tell every single one of you how much I enjoyed reading this thread. You're all so wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I went in the AM with Cinnamon (Series 5: Sherbet) by Comme des Garcons. This is the perfect warm weather cinnamon fragrance. Nose tickling spices, with a watery effect when sniffed. It's not very sweet, more like cinnamon sticks in a vase full of cold water. However when it warms on the skin, the faint smell of cinnamon rises from your skin. This happens to also be the 1st fragrance I ever bought from Scent Bar in Los Angeles, when I visited a couple years ago. It's a scent, most likely I will always have in my wardrobe.
    That sounds like something I would love. I'm going to try it next time I order samples. I love reading everybody's reviews. They give me such ideas!

Greetings to all our SnS newbies!!! :wave:

Started to write this yesterday, then got pulled away... A day later, I'll finally post!

For the Sniff n' Speak, I was playing with Les Nerides Oriental Lumpur and Comme des Garcons Cinnamon from the Sherbet series.

Oriental Lumpur was a delightful surprise to me... The sweet, rendolent spices were expected, and thankfully were not overly reminiscent of curry or Thai food... But the intense powdery undertone, and the fact that I love it, were a shock! Generally I am not a fan of powdery fragrances at all. This one kept me doing the Basenotes salute all day. A real winner in my opinion, especially for cool weather.

Oriental Lumpur notes: Saffron, curry, nutmeg, sandalwood, vanilla, patchouli.

The CdG Cinnamon I need to wear more... I found it extremely light (probably due to the fact that I was wearing the uber-sillage Oriental Lumpur on the other side), and not at all sweet. I usually find that even freshly ground cinnamon has a touch of sweetness to it, but not this scent. How did they manage that?!? Then again, this could have been due to the arm-by-arm comparison with the OL. I did love the classic CdG "sheer-ness" of the fragrance, which once again I found surprising in a spice-based scent. Suspect the CdG Cinnamon is something I will need to wear more, and will likely really love in the warmer weather. A warm weather spice scent! Cool!

CdG Cinnamon notes: Cedar, bergamot, cinnamon, saffron, carnation, benjamin (aka benzoin, a resinous balsam), vetiver, teak wood, white musk.

EDIT: Just saw my brother MikePerez's comments on CdG Cinnamon... So nice to know we're still sharing a scent brain!!!!
    Last edited by ComDiva; 2nd November 2008 at 02:54 PM.
    Its thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. Theyre confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, Something is just around the corner, what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers Something is just around the corner, something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...