Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Sunday 2 November

Good morning!

After the Spicy S'n'S Saturday, a Spicy Sunday in L'Artisan Piment Brlant - red hot chili peppers, chocolate etc.

Enjoy your Sunday, all!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Sunday 2 November

Sun, Moon and Stars for me today. Last night I wore Anglomania, a nice spicy rose Craving Tea for Two again. This might actually be FBW!

Parfumerie Generale Querelle for me

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Test-running Le Labo Poivre today; stunning, and it almost gets through my full stuffy nose!

Prada Infusion D'Iris.
    THis is a truly gorgeous scent.

Zinggsieleh-
    Kisses to your pretty Semitic Schozz...

JavaGreen- I adore Querelle.

Kewart- agreed.

Up early for work- in a flurry of Bois Des Iles.
    I sprayed it even in places I didn't remember I HAD, LOL.
    Oh so comforting.

Folks at work were really terrific yesterday- thank goodness.
    I was a weepy turd.
    Much better today- but I want a nap.ALREADY, lol....
    Who'd like to join me ?

Magical GRIS CLAIR..
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Coromandel...so delectable

I'm continuing my weekend with Ambre Topkapi from MDCI for the second day. Yesterday its longevity was disappointing, but I'm happy to keep company with it again today.
    Last edited by Sestra; 2nd November 2008 at 11:01 AM.

must work today
    need green after all the fruit and incense
    Chanel no. 19
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

To counterbalance spicy Saturday...cool Sunday in the sublime

.....the five-ingredient pyramid of this fume is deceptive. The fragrance itself is wonderfully complex...tres triste....iris and something slightly earthy, vaguely powdery...rounder than Mitsuoko but in the same reflective mood.... one of my all time faves.
    Last edited by TaoLady; 2nd November 2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Grammar
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Today I'm chillin', Ange ou Demon seems suitable enough.
    Have a great Sunday, everyone!

Stepped out of the house without a scent
    Blinded folded myself and randomly picked something from my sample box, it is Amouage Gold.

I'm ready to switch things up today...after last night's COCO!

I'm going for Guerlain's WITH LOVE ~ Rosey! (Thanks again to Tinker, for the great deal! )
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 2nd November 2008 at 11:51 AM.

Basenotes Plus

(((Chaya))) Nap, you say?? Move over!!

Creed's glorious Angelique Encens for me.

Have a lovely day, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

L'Heure Bleue - Guerlain

Caron's Les Pois de Senteur de Chez Moi

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Mechant Loup as SotD from a sample. Into the high 70s by afternoon. Lovely weather for wolves..
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Is there room for a third? I could use a nap too. My husband was awake in the wee hours chatting away to me. I'm testing F. Malle's Le Parfum de Therese this morning from a sample that just arrived. I'm loving it.

Have a good Sunday all!

Chene - nice & bracing for a day of running errands. Maybe a touch of BPAL The Schoolhouse or Katrina VanTassel to mellow it later. After all, how many people have a scent named after an ancestor? Back to work tomorrow after another vacation week tending the ill & injured.

Starting out the week here in 24 FAUBOURG.

Have a great day everyone!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Miller HarrisFeuilles de Tabac
    Last edited by Quixotiq; 2nd November 2008 at 01:51 PM.

When I was last at Sephora looking at Black Orchid the SA very forcefully insisted that I take a couple of samples of Angel. So, I'm trying to decide how I feel about it. Do I miss the flowers? I have been wearing it for about an hour, and I'm not sure if I miss the florals. So, I sprayed a little Jasmin de Nuit on it. Hmm.

Stephanie de Saint Aignan - Berberiades Extreme to start today
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I'm feeling really peaceful and wonderful in Hindu Kush*. Once I have a minute to myself, I'm going to devote a thread to the creations of Abdes Salam Attar, proprietor of www.profumo.it, and two other rare wonders that entered my life this past week.

*"The unforgettable fragrance of the Hindu Kush is made of the aroma of its forests, of its wood fires and the smells of the bazaars overflowing with oriental spices and things to eat."

I'm taking a break from trying new things, and wearing Guerlain's l'Heure Bleue.

sampled Tam Dao, it is pretty but i don't see myself wearing it very often and I'm trying not to buy any more bottles just to buy bottles. So while it's nice and good I doubt I'll get enough wear out of it.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I'm feeling really peaceful and wonderful in Hindu Kush*. Once I have a minute to myself, I'm going to devote a thread to the creations of Abdes Salam Attar, proprietor of www.profumo.it, and two other rare wonders that entered my life this past week.

*"The unforgettable fragrance of the Hindu Kush is made of the aroma of its forests, of its wood fires and the smells of the bazaars overflowing with oriental spices and things to eat."
    Oh yum! This sounds right up my alley. Looking forward to your thread.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

I also ended up scentless for work today...meant to bring a decant,but forgot it.Veery typical me in the morning.Yesterday's snowfall is now gone. SotE is a decant of Habit Rouge from a decant,first time I wear it.so far it smells like Shalimar's drydown with lots of lemon added to it.I rather like it

Quick impressions of some samples I sprayed before my morning shower...

Guerlain No. 68 (Cologne du 68)--a light scent which seems to morph as it dries down. Starts as a traditional cologne with citrus, maybe some petitgrain and bergamot, goes through an insipid floral water phase, then later turns more resinous. Not sure what I think of it yet.

Calvin Klein Secret Obsession--this is supposed to be super sexy, but I don't really get that right now. It starts as a charming tart and juicy apricot, and so far is progressing rather linearly. I can smell some florals, mainly a light tuberose. It is quite pleasant, actually.

Profumum Fumidus--starts with tobacco and smoke, with vetiver lurking below the surface. When the vetiver does come out more, it is definitely in "holy grail" territory. The smoke is a bit off-putting, but the vetiver seems very high quality.

Dior Jules (thanks to mudassir!)--citrus and civet to start, but definitely more tart and penetrating than the smooth citrus/civet of Jicky. Smells pretty much like pee for a few minutes. Later, smells like a smoky and peppery leather. I can see why many men like this one!

EDIT--welcome back MBDevine!
    Last edited by Asha; 2nd November 2008 at 03:09 PM.

Soapy yet skanky: Monsieur Musk by Houbigant/Dana

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Prada.

Serge Lutens Bois de Violette

Penhaligon's Violetta -- smells like Thompson green seedless grapes at first (is that the violets?); then after church it's all sandalwoody I like it!

Basenotes Plus

Make that four...move over y'all. Chaya, tdem, lillybelle & me for a nice snooze. We'll smell wonderful & rest like babes.
    SOTD: Roxana Villa's wonderful woodland "Q". I know
    Chaya would like this one, not sure about you tdem...it's a "maybe" for you. Lillybelle would like it & the intention behind it, besides I only put on a tiny daub.
    I'll make us some tea when we wake up.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Smile Re: SotD Sunday 2 November

Today it's finally cooling off and I'm celebrating by surrounding myself in a cloud of 21 by Costume National. Spicy, warm and comforting. My favorite type of scent. Nurturing!

Am luscious and limpid in Un Jardin Sur Le Nil. It smells of watercress and lily pads.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Busy, busy Saturday of stat counting, viewing parties for both of my alma maters. Plus I had to get a SotW and SotM out i totally missed posting to SnS yesterday.
    Even so I was participating in:
    Frapin Caravelle Epicee
    This scent was introduced to me by my Scentfather TwoRoads early in my Basenotes experience.
    Today I'm continuing the spicy theme in
    Montale Red Vetyver
    This is another top scent for me and I'll talk more about it in the SnS thread.
    Finally, I hate disappointing anyone Wordbird.
    I promise a visit to Candy Town sooner than later. There are a couple of ideas perking in my tiny little mind.
    Have a great Sunday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac
    YOU SMELL FUCKING AWESOME RIGHT NOW!

*cough*

One of my faves on a guy.

summer means fireflys

More spice today ... Ambre Sultan style!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Rich Hippie Bohemian Wedding today

Started today in Y by YSL (I've been wearing it a lot lately... it's just so perfect for crisp, cool days).

However, I was in London all day with husband & friend - and we did go via some perfumeries (Liberty's & Selfridges).

I tried Guerlain 68: thought it was lovely, but needs further testing. Sprayed some Terre de Hermes on husband. Several hours in and I've decided it's one of the best things I've smelled on him - like liquid understated style (without the sleazy playboy element) and, something I can only describe as bottled intelligence. I might get him some of this...

Guerlain Vetivert smells great on me (which I knew already; been on wishlist for a while) and turns to BO on husband. Whereas he can wear Exhale (a great, smoky vetiver) and Vetiver Extraordinaire extremely well. Hmm.

I tested Tea for Two on my skin for the first time today - and the first 15-20 minutes are a very accurate olfactory representation of loose roll-up tobacco (specifically: Golden Virginia, which is slightly honeyed).

It then dries to more of a gingery/sweet/perfum-y scent, which is very pleasant.

However, I find the roll-up tobacco element interesting and unsettling at the same time, so I have to say that Tea for Two is not "my cup of tea". (Haha).

Also tried L by Lolita Lempicka. I like it; a dusty liquorice with old coin purse and a bit of sugar. Probably not FBW... I think I would like to re-test though.

The new Rosine was available at Liberty's, but they didn't have a tester. Argh. ><. And they only seemed to have one bottle left...

Friend bought the new B Superworldunknown perfume, which is like lemon meringue pie layered with toffee/burnt sugar and cotton candy.
    Last edited by Nukapai; 2nd November 2008 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Make that four...move over y'all. Chaya, tdem, lillybelle & me for a nice snooze. We'll smell wonderful & rest like babes.
    SOTD: Roxana Villa's wonderful woodland "Q". I know
    Chaya would like this one, not sure about you tdem...it's a "maybe" for you. Lillybelle would like it & the intention behind it, besides I only put on a tiny daub.
    I'll make us some tea when we wake up.
    You are so sweet. I was just thinking I could go for a nice cup of tea. And now I need to check out "Q", too.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    Stepped out of the house without a scent
    Blinded folded myself and randomly picked something from my sample box, it is Amouage Gold.
    Finally, I have a scent twin. Like Coconut, I am in Amouage Gold -- although deliberately. That makes us fraternal scent twins, not identical scent twins.

SotD was BLACK CASHMERE by Donna Karan
    SotE is MILK by Ava Luxe

I was thinking just last night how much I adore L'Heure Bleue, and now I have seen at least two of you are wearing it today.

2nd scent of the day: Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'eau
    I'll give it time, but it kind of smells like a musky version of Finesse brand shampoo.

Shiseido Feminite du Bois

Notes: (from Bois de Jasmin) cedarwood, orange blossom, rose, violet, honey, plum, beeswax, clove, cardamom, cinnamon

I used to own Feminite du Bois EDP, the original release by Shiseido. It is actually a Serge Lutens/Christopher Sheldrake creation, and originally came in a gorgeous dusky purple bottle with a curvy smooth shape that reminds me of a Brancusi sculpture. I have read several conflicting reports that it has been discontinued, or has limited distribution in countries other than the US, or some such. I also read a Serge Lutens news story or interview in which SL explicitly stated FdB would be re-released through the SL export line (can't remember where I saw it, and now I can't find it). I hope this is the truth, and I hope they don't mess with the formula or strength!

I never knew about Lutens before I started exploring perfumes in depth here on BN and other sites. I bought FdB simply because I loved it, and nothing else I was testing at the time came close to the complexity, modernity and originality of FdB. I later found out that SL sketched out some other fragrances inspired by FdB, and these are currently in the non-export line. Of the ones I tried, the following come closest to FdB, especially in the drydown: Bois de Violette, Bois et Fruits, Bois et Musc. Bois Oriental and Un Bois Vanille are supposedly also based on the FdB structure, but to me, these did not seem as similar in tone. Another Sheldrake creation which has the FdB drydown is Christian Dior Dolce Vita.

Upon first application, FdB is immediately spicy, penetrating, sharp and woody. I can smell cinnamon and clove, cedar, and something that makes the wood seem sweet and creamy--could be the beeswax mentioned in the notes. I do smell something that seems a bit like the deeply resinous and vaguely honey-like beeswax I have smelled in pure beeswax candles. To my nose, the cedar is very well done, not like pencil shavings or hamster cage litter. I have read that FdB uses Iso E Super, so this could be the reason that the cedar note has the smooth quality it does. Also, in the past, I remember FdB going through a sweaty cumin stage between the top and middle notes, but I am not smelling that today.

As it dries, the violet and fruits come out. The violet is slightly floral, not overly sweet, and is definitely not the candied violet in Bois de Violette. The fruit seems dried, like prunes or raisins. I am sure listing "prune" in the notes is not very glamorous, but the scent of prune-plums is one of my all time favorites, and I always loved opening a can of prune-plums in syrup so I could get the first whiffs. So, plum it is, but definitely not like the plums you get from the produce section of the grocery store. The beeswax is also a bit more prominent now. It seems to be a wonderful alternative to using resins or vanilla to pull things together.

FdB develops fairly quickly, and the drydown stage is gorgeous--mild cedar and spice mixture, and the lingering sweetness of beeswax. I would say cinnamon is the dominant spice note, and it gives the drydown some bite. However, the cardamom and clove soften the edges a little bit, fade into the background, and seem to almost become part of the wood more than the spice mixture. I don't know why I never realized before that the beeswax was the resinous unifier in this fragrance. The FdB base is so different than the typical amber oriental base of labdanum, vanilla and benzoin (or other resins). Upon further reflection, if the amber base were broken into resinous, woody and balsamic parts, I think all of these roles are filled by the beeswax, cedar and cardamom. Perhaps this is what Luca Turin meant when he referred to this base as an alternative oriental.

One fragrance map I have seen places FdB in the fruity chypre family. I suppose if the definition of an oriental is something with an amber accord in the base, then this might not be the right category for FdB. However, it has the depth and complexity of an oriental, and in some ways also has the heavyness. I think it was ahead of its time, at least for US customers. And I can see why it might not do very well here--it is definitely not a superficial fragrance, and some may find it very challenging. Sillage and longevity are moderate, but since I love the creamy, woody, spicy drydown, I don't mind getting there quickly!

Messe de Minuit yesterday, and Belle en Rykiel today.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post

Quote Originally Posted by spicegirl View Post
    Oh yum! This sounds right up my alley. Looking forward to your thread.
    Me too!!!

Today I'm testing two Parfumerie Generale samples:

On the right hand, CADJMERE. This one doesn't quite track for me. Something jarring at first (maybe the coconut?), but it does smooth out a bit later. My husband liked it instantly, however.

On the left, L'OISEAU DE NUIT. I wanted to love this as the name is beautiful, and I'm happy to report that I adore it! This one is completely "me"!!! I think I've found my HG leather in this subtle and beautiful blend.

Basenotes Institution

Ormonde Man by Ormande Jayne (from a sample - thanks Ruggles)

The most unique use of oud and spices I've seen used in a man's cologne. It doesn't hit you over the head like Montale (or Tom Ford) does, and then there's that weird hemlock (herbal) vibe to it, that makes it quite mysterious in the drydown. This sample is haunting me.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Me too!!!

Today I'm testing two Parfumerie Generale samples:

On the right hand, CADJMERE. This one doesn't quite track for me. Something jarring at first (maybe the coconut?), but it does smooth out a bit later. My husband liked it instantly, however.

On the left, L'OISEAU DE NUIT. I wanted to love this as the name is beautiful, and I'm happy to report that I adore it! This one is completely "me"!!! I think I've found my HG leather in this subtle and beautiful blend.
    I just ordered a bunch of PG samples from Luckyscent when I fell off the wagon the other day, but failed to spot the charms of L'Oiseau de Nuit! Darn, another order may be in order!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Aveda Patchouli
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

A lazy Sunday has turned into bedtime. Hubby is still in the mountains, skiing and fishing, while I have been spending the day on the sofa, reading a good book, and eating all the leftover candy from Halloween. No proper food all day, just candy!
    Didnt bother to take a shower, so I just sprayed on some White Linen, to get a feeling of being clean...:bounce:

I wore Narciso Rodriguez For Her today as a complete contrast to the scents I'd been testing yesterday
    (Lolita Lempicka, Alien, Hypnotic Poison + HP Elixir). My bottle of NR will soon be empty and I wasn't going to buy it again but after wearing it today I've fallen right back in love again! My fave from yesterday was HP Elixir but am not sure about buying a bottle just yet. SotE for today is Crystal Noir, chosen by Ines. I guess I don't need HP Elixir when I have this beautiful fragrance. Thank you Ines, I know you love Crystal Noir too!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Aramis Tuscany as SotE
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Musse, you are a woman after my own heart! That sounds like a fantastic day and I have to say I really like to stew in my own funk every now and then. It's very mammalian and cozy in cool weather.

Zingss - howdy howdy howdy and can I just say the babe in your pic is gorgeous and making me rather broody again. (It happens quite a lot with me.)

SMM - hey, don't hurry it. Your 'Ginge Noir' is worth waiting for. I hope Fabienne from Possets has read your fantastic evocations of life with that naughty Gingerbread Man.

I think tomorrow will see me in L'Heure Bleu - the mentions of it today have reminded me of what a hauntingly beautiful scent this is and how perfect for this time of the year.

I have spent the day in Coup de Fouet, the little sister of yesterday's Poivre. Where that is a rich, prickling spicy clove carnation edp with the same sweetness as the flower itself, Coup de Fouet is the edt version. It's lighter, a little drier and more broadly drawn, but the spice is there and it seems to be backed up by something a little rosy in the heart. It lasts nicely over the day but you'd want to refresh your fragrance if you were going out to dinner. Ideally with Poivre, I suppose.

Asha - that was a stunning review, I hope you've added it to the directory. Just for your information, we still have FdB in the curvy plum bottle in the shops here in Switzerland, however Nukapia told me that it's not available in the UK. I also read that release that said it would soon be added to the Lutens line, in the rectangular Lutens bottle. Possibly the remaining stocks are being sold off here as there a lot of perfumery shops in Switzerland.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I so missed you all. I was away on one of my barbecue weekends. After unpacking, I sprayed myself with Love's True Bluish Light and have settled down to see what is new with my other great passion, perfume. I always get the feeling of so many fragrances and not enough time. I want to wear L'Heure Bleu tomorrow, no, after reading Asha, I want to wear my Feminite de Bois. Oh, life can be so delicious!

Morning Star

Default Re: SotD Saturday 1 November 2008

Saturday 1 November 2008
    Morning: Creed Bois du Portugal
    Afternoon: L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu (liking this more and more ...)
    Evening: Andy Tauer L'Air du Dsert Marocain

Un Lys