Code of Conduct

Default Old Spice, or variations on an obsession theme - please help!

The start of this journey on Basenotes was simple: find something that was NOT Old Spice, but attracted my (non-perfume-obsessed!) dear wife (DW) with the same intensity as that run-of-the-mill-yet-somehow-weirdly-inhibition-stripping P&G wonder-drug, and was somehow... higher class. Not as common. Not as "cheap". And not as... powdery.

The list has been narrowed as of 10-20-08 (so far) to:
    1. M7 (still her favorite!) (as long as it's not "too much sprayed in one place")
    2. Burberry London (thanks, SirSlarty!)
    3. Carven homme (thanks, Bigsly!) (and yet not Envy, which per my DW is too "powdery")
    4. CDG2 man (thanks again, SirSlarty!)

If you really think about it, these four share a lot in common... it's almost like my journey into fragrance expanded, then collapsed again into "Old Spice But Better"...

with summertime appearances by:

5. Versace Baby Blue Jeans (she hates the name, but loves the frag!)
    6. Kenneth Cole Reaction (thanks breakbeatbmw!) ("smells like our baby boy!" per DW)

and repeated "office-wear" appearances by (not for my wife's benefit, but because I wake up in the middle of the night with undeniable cravings for it, and have tried FOUR TIMES to sell it but somehow can't let go...)
    7. Rive Gauche <Intense>. (dear wife says: "smells OK, clean, like soap, but nothing special!")

So, here's the deal. I and the wife are both getting a little exhausted with this search. Patou Pour Homme (+/- Prive), Mugler Cologne, Colonia Assoluta (+/- Intense)/Acqua di Parma, Nemo by Cacharel, Cuiron, Homme de Gres, Habit Rouge, Body/Sport Kouros, Black Aoud, Dior Homme... the list of untested-but-what-if-they're-my-Holy Grail?? fragrances goes on and on.

It's like holding a glass, and trying to choose between Johnny Walker Black and Woodford Reserve.

Complicated by this is my desire for the impossible - to save bottle(s) of "the best cologne ever" for my son, who is currently only five months old. I picture him the lady-killer of his generation, armed with only the finest olfactory aphrodesiac(s)...

("hey, imagine how much a sealed bottle of M7 will go for in 2028!")

So here is my plea: assume money is no object. Assume "Old Spice, Intense" is the goal.

Please, please help my find the Cologne to End All Colognes.

Remember: I don't want to smell like soap, I don't want to smell like "clean", I don't want to smell like "fresh" (AdG, L'eau D'issey), I don't want to smell stinky (anything "musk"), and I don't want to smell like grandma (KOUROS according to my wife, believe it or not!)

Nor do I want to smell like the candy-of-the-week (Rochas Man, New Haarlem - DW loves the smell, but keeps thinking the odor is a candle lit somewhere, instead of a fragrance I'm wearing!)

Nor do I want to smell French (GIT, SMW - although somehow Himalaya is OK...)

I need dark, romantic, spicy, mysterious, yet somehow OK for work, NOT tobacco (ie: Michael by Michael Kors), NOT "trendy" (Hollister et al), NOT necessarily leather (DW used to be vegetarian, but she's been 95% converted thanks to me!),

NOT Heritage. Tried and failed as wonderful, but "passe".
    NOT Giorgio Red. again, too "old man".
    NOT Guerlian Vetiver. Too "green".
    NOT Polo Modern Reserve. Too "flowery" (believe it or not!)

There's nothing worse than my wife's unimpressed looks of "oh, another perfume?" and her insistence on "why don't you just wear Old Spice?"

Rather than investing on a stockpile of M7 (literally the only fragrance EVER that has invoked a "you smell nice!" from my wife!) I'd like to find a perfume that we can BOTH agree on as the Best Thing Ever.

Please... suggestions?

your humble student,

-olafurson

Default Re: Old Spice, or variations on an obsession theme - please help!

Creed Bois du Portugal-- Old Spice on steroids. Awesome juice....

Well, I can make a couple of suggestions.
    Thierry Mugler Cologne is nothing, absolutely nothing, like Old Spice. It is not spicy. Rather, it is a lovely fresh green scent.
    I think that CdG 2Man may be as close as you are going to get.
    Rive Gauche pour Homme is more powerful, clove-y, barbershop-y. Deliberately retro in style.
    If you want some new suggestions as to gentle spice:
    Roger & Gallet L'Homme or Open
    Geo F. Trumper Marlborough or Astor.
    These are all manly, sturdy yet classy scents.

And... a final thought. Keep the door open for variety, it is the "spice" of life.
    Scents totally different from the above style will be a break from the routine, and make you appreciate it all the more when you return.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Havana Aramis
    Cuba C&S

That is what you need.
    I have never seen the resemblance BdP and OS, but if you do not like heritage, then I am not sure you will like BdP (I think heritage is the better of the two).
    Last edited by irish; 21st October 2008 at 02:59 AM.

First knee-jerk reaction is... Old Spice is so different than what it used to be. I'm not sure how it fares against things now.

Old Spice is a powdery oriental, Envy is a ginger oriental. Looks like you'll need something less Envy, more spicy, not so sweet yet has an oriental base. Wow, nothing jumps out at me right away.

2 MAN (btw, you're welcome ) is a excellent smokey vetiver with some incensed woods. Perhaps go that route?

Have you tried Declaration or L'essence Declaration? They're spiced woods (with a not so sweet skeletal structure of an oriental if you look at it funny).

Actually the new old spice is a pretty good update for a newer fresher Old Spice kind of scent without being anything like the old Old Spice.

I always thought that L'Homme Sage by Divine was kind of like a modern day Old Spice. It is spicey and sort of sparkling but has a great incense note as well.

Some others that kind of fit what you are talking about are New York by Parfums d Nicholai and Le Labo Rose 31. Rose 31 is more incensey and sexy smelling with a bit of oud like M7 has in it. New York has the same warm spice orange opening that new Old Spice has but has much more complete and hypnotic drydown.

Diptyque's Eau Lente reminds me of Old Spice (without powder). I've noticed there are fans of EL here on Basenotes.
    Last edited by Delmar; 21st October 2008 at 05:32 PM.

Creed BdP
    Idole by Lubin

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

My 2 cents:
    • Bois d'Orage/French Lover (the DW should love that name). It's been called green in other threads, but there's also spice enough to satisfy your requirements list.
    • Gucci Pour Homme
    • Aramis Tuscany - perhaps a bit old fashioned, although not quite as stodgy as some you mentioned.
    • Diesel Fuel for Life - gets a lot of love on BN and quite easy to find.
    • Bois du Portugal - I don't care for it myself but I can see the comparison to OS. On me, it seems to try too hard to be a "gentleman's" fragrance, if that makes any sense.
    Or you could defer to your wife's wishes and stick with the tried-and-true. Sounds like it's working for you pretty well already!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Wow! Good morning, and thank you everyone for your tips.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    BdP: tried it, DW still thinks it smells too French, too froo-froo, too perfumy. Like Snafoo said, it's "trying too hard".

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Havana Aramis
    Cuba C&S
    I've debated trying Havana, but am often turned off by tobacco... although DW really likes Michael Kors, which I can't stand. I consider London to be my Kors replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Old Spice is so different than what it used to be...a powdery oriental
    I went through a brief "old Old Spice is better than new Old Spice" period, and learned that what happens with aged bottles is the powdery top note disappears, leaving only the middle and base notes. If you take new Old Spice and old Old Spice and apply both, they'll smell identical after an hour. I promise.

Plus, if your "old Old Spice" is TOO old, it just smells "old".

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    [*]Gucci Pour Homme
    Too much cedar. Did I mention DW doesn't like cedar?

She does LOVE Sandalwood, though... as long as it's not JUST Sandalwood. (Tam Dao et al)

Neither does she like soapy (Idole de Lubin?). She wants my cologne to smell like cologne, not soap. That's how Rive Gauche lost out in this search.

So... now I've got the requirements down to:

1. Clean and cologne-y, but not soapy (no barbershop, retro or otherwise)
    2. Sandalwood, but not cedar, and the wood mustn't predominate (a la Gucci Homme)
    3. Aoud, but not musk (musk says "old man" to her)

and yet another list to try:
    Havana
    Cuba C&S
    Declaration
    Rose 31 (if she can smell the cedar, or if it just smells like roses, she won't like it - thoughts?)

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Looks like you'll need something less Envy, more spicy, not so sweet yet has an oriental base. Wow, nothing jumps out at me right away.
    Exactly. Nothing jumps out at me (her) either.

Opium EDP maybe?
    Rochas Lui?

How come no one has said it if you want old spice why not try Paul Sebastian.

Quote Originally Posted by tbp82 View Post
    How come no one has said it if you want old spice why not try Paul Sebastian.
    Tried it, DW said smelled like it was trying too hard (see: BdP). "Too much cologne".

Although, speaking of Paul Sebastian.... when I do a search for agarwood and sandalwood, the ONLY male frag I come up with is PS Onyx. Maybe I should stop passing by that one in Marshalls and pick up a bottle to try....

(well, "only" except for Dirty English which was also "too much cologne", and Aoud Attar which is $$$)
    Last edited by IndianapolisVet; 21st October 2008 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by olafurson View Post

She does LOVE Sandalwood, though... as long as it's not JUST Sandalwood. (Tam Dao et al)

Neither does she like soapy (Idole de Lubin?). She wants my cologne to smell like cologne, not soap. That's how Rive Gauche lost out in this search.

So... now I've got the requirements down to:

1. Clean and cologne-y, but not soapy (no barbershop, retro or otherwise)
    2. Sandalwood, but not cedar, and the wood mustn't predominate (a la Gucci Homme)

Rochas Lui?

In terms of Sandalwood my wife really likes the the Sandalwood scent from The Art of Shaving. I believe it's a synthetic but it works for me.

I've also been pretty happy with Terre D'Hermes.

Tried it, DW said smelled like it was trying too hard
    Maybe you should just get a Divorce. Then you could wear what you wanted to.

Art of Shaving Sandalwood --- a great sandalwood thats creamy and striking, with hints of eucalyptus and pine needles..........my favorite sandalwood

Geo F. Trumper Curzon --- manly, bold but not overpowering, seems to me like something an Old Spice guy would like.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people"
    "You can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know that I'm mad?"
    "You must be, or you wouldn't have come here."

You also might try Halston Catalyst for a spicy fragrance with woody undertones.

Ah, and if you want a creamy, elegant, and in my opinion, very sophisticated Sandalwood, you should definitely get Creed's Santal Imperial.

In fact, that would be my first suggestion.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people"
    "You can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know that I'm mad?"
    "You must be, or you wouldn't have come here."

[QUOTE=Jestersinthemoon;1337187]Ah, and if you want a creamy, elegant, and in my opinion, very sophisticated Sandalwood, you should definitely get Creed's Santal Imperial./QUOTE]

I second that!!!! I love it

Well, I'm not exactly looking for a Sandalwood fragrance. That's my point - if it smells like Sandalwood, then she'll recognize it as Sandalwood and nothing else.

It could CONTAIN Sandalwood, but should not SMELL LIKE Sandalwood. Does that make sense?

Sandalwood is lovely. As an extra, not as the star of the show.

Old Spice does not smell like Sandalwood.

Show me Old Spice + Sandalwood +/- Tobacco - Powder, and I'm sold.

Hmm... that does sound like Havana, doesn't it?

I'm wondering if you have tried Habit Rouge yet. It seems like it may fit the bill.

Of the many fragrances mentioned here, I have tested just a few. I can only attest as to the fact that Rive Gauche pH does share an old fashioned style in line with OS.

"Old" Old Spice after shave is being sold in India - http://www.razorandbrush.com/barberiaaftsha.html
    It is actually imported by a man established in Florida.

A local manufacturer of essential oils sells the basis oil of old Old Spice.

Show me Old Spice + Sandalwood +/- Tobacco - Powder, and I'm sold.

Hmm... that does sound like Havana, doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I'm wondering if you have tried Habit Rouge yet. It seems like it may fit the bill.
    I second that recommendation, Habit Rouge fits the bill, with a bit more Powder to my nose. BTW, have you tried AOS Sandalwood? if not, give it a test run, then decide.

Allo --
    I think that I've figured out why Old Spice (in its after shave iteration) is so popular. The scent is mellow, from the initial application; there's no need to fight one's gag reflex over alcohol fumes, or anything else. My resistance to it comes from the fact that this is achieved by such an overwhelming presence of the powder aspect, and what little interest exists comes not until drydown, at which point I find that there's a distasteful, cloying aspect to the spice mixture. I'd like to find an older bottle of the stuff (i.e., Shulton, pre-Proctor and Gamble), to sample; perhaps the reformulation, alone, disagrees with me.
    I'll recommend a few scents which have been vetted by feminine noses, and have passed with flying colours....
    Spanish Leather (Truefitt & Hill): Altogether comforting. No surprises. A new, safe favourite.
    Grafton (Truefitt & Hill): Very barbershop-y, and only very slightly fresh. Not cloying.
    JHL (Estee Lauder): A wonderful old favourite. Very warm and spicy.
    R (Revillon): Reminds me of a hybrid offspring of Polo (Ralph Lauren) and JHL (Estee Lauder); mellower than the former, and fresher than the latter. Without any sharp edges.
    1903 (J. Peterman): Perfection. Perfection.
    By the way, Truefitt & Hill seems to have cologne samples (they have seven scents) for those who politely request them. JHL might be available again, but if not, there are always a few bottles available via eBay. R is very inexpensive; look around and you may find a 6.7 oz. bottle of EDT for US$10.00 or thereabouts. 1903 is pricier, but nowhere near the neighborhood in which either Creed or Knize reside....
    Regards,
    WTT

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Maybe you should just get a Divorce. Then you could wear what you wanted to.
    Although I've tried both Marriage and Divorce thrice, I cannot honestly recommend either....

Marriage
    Initial notes: bliss, and tenderness. Middle notes: boredom, suspicion, and resentment. Basenotes, at drydown: jealousy, anger, and burnt bridges.

Divorce
    Initial notes: civet, malice, and vengeance. Middle notes: dispepsia, attorney, and courtroom. Basenotes, at drydown: relief, ridiculous hopefulness, and utter bliss.

I would, however, highly recommend Love, and Shacking Up Together. Call me an optimist....

Quote Originally Posted by WTT View Post
    Although I've tried both Marriage and Divorce thrice, I cannot honestly recommend either....

Marriage
    Initial notes: bliss, and tenderness. Middle notes: boredom, suspicion, and resentment. Basenotes, at drydown: jealousy, anger, and burnt bridges.

Divorce
    Initial notes: civet, malice, and vengeance. Middle notes: dispepsia, attorney, and courtroom. Basenotes, at drydown: relief, ridiculous hopefulness, and utter bliss.

I would, however, highly recommend Love, and Shacking Up Together. Call me an optimist....

I've tried "In a baby carriage" and it was awful. The top notes reminded me of Kouros but it steadily progressed into Urine-smelling. It smelled like Indian Food and cheese spread. It's also extremely powdery.

But man, it's a real chick-magnet!

Back on topic though, does modern Old Spice still have Ambergris? I can't really tell. That might be a key to finding a new fragrance. If it were about the Ambergris I would recommend Azzaro pour Homme.
    Last edited by dynendal; 21st October 2008 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WTT View Post

Marriage

Divorce

This made reading this threat worth 100 %: beg your pardon, I will be keeping this post.
    Last edited by Pollux; 21st October 2008 at 06:19 PM.

Wtt: are you refering to Revillon pour Homme? The same one Basenotes database says it is doscontinued?

Have you ever tried the original Jack Black (silver mark, I think)? There's also Witness, which can seem too strong until it dries down (probably due to aldehydes), but DW might like the drydown. Victory League and Everlast Original 1910 are selling cheaply now. I think VL might be the one to try, if you seek a more oriental frag (sweet but not like candy). And what about Jaipur?
    Last edited by Bigsly; 21st October 2008 at 07:01 PM.

WTT: Thank you for your wonderful suggestions, and Welcome to Basenotes!

I'm honored to have prompted your first four posts.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Good idea; I second this. The Bently Continental of Old spice. Or try Bois D'Orage/French Lover by Frederick malle.. Spicy, then just you!
    Last edited by richard d; 21st October 2008 at 10:54 PM.

How about Viktor and Rolf Antidote? It's a lighter oriental that is a bit powdery.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Damn, Sculpture beat me to it... Antidote is very nice, close to Envy but less powdery.

PS/Paul Sebastion looks like it fits the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post

I've tried "In a baby carriage" and it was awful. The top notes reminded me of Kouros but it steadily progressed into Urine-smelling. It smelled like Indian Food and cheese spread. It's also extremely powdery.

But man, it's a real chick-magnet!

Back on topic though, does modern Old Spice still have Ambergris? I can't really tell. That might be a key to finding a new fragrance. If it were about the Ambergris I would recommend Azzaro pour Homme.
    Allo --

Hmmm--I don't know....

Probably the best way to test out new fragrances that come with resposibilities is to first borrow and return (e.g., "babysit," "dogsit," etc.) them. That way, you're not saddled with unflattering scents for years upon years.

I've also found that the only females attracted by child-shaped/sized accoutrements are those who have none; these types still naively think children to be "adorable." Those with children, already, typically only offer glances of commiseration...!

Regards,

WTT
    Laura: What's that smell? It's sort of like something that's trying to be cologne.
    Dr. Katz: Oh, you know what that is? It's a fragrance for men.
    Laura: Oh--oh, and you're wearing it! I get it.
    Dr. Katz: What do you think? It takes some getting used to.
    Laura: Oh--that's a good name for it.
    --from Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist (Season 2, Episode 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    This made reading this threat worth 100 %: beg your pardon, I will be keeping this post.

Thank you, Pollux...!
    Laura: What's that smell? It's sort of like something that's trying to be cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Wtt: are you refering to Revillon pour Homme? The same one Basenotes database says it is doscontinued?
    Allo --

Actually, this one:
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121341.html
    ...seems to be the one that I have. A few weeks ago, the company from which I'd ordered a bottle of Pour un Homme (Caron) sent along a spray bottle of "R"-scented deodorant.

May we post links to commercial websites? I didn't find anything prohibiting it on the FAQ. If so, then this:
    http://www.imaginationperfumery.com/p/1226
    ...is the firm from which I purchased, and which has good deals on the stuff. (If not, then I apologise in advance!)

Regards,

WTT

When I sniff Habit Rouge by Guerlain, I get Old Spice as well, or some variation on that theme. It reminds me of the old formulation of OS when it was sweeter and powdery.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain