Code of Conduct

Thread: Mitsouko

Blog Entries

Default Mitsouko

I recently bought Mitsouko and really like it but, it doesn't last but two or three hours on me (edt). Is the edp the answer? I am a little disapointed. Is L'heure Bleue longer lasting?

Default Re: Mitsouko

The EDP and the extrait of Mitsouko smell a bit different than the EDT. They also (especially the extrait) are much longer lasting than the EDT. There are many threads on the scent differences between the various Mitsouko formulations.

L'heure Bleu is a bit of a different genre than Mitsouko. Where Mitsouko is a Chypre/Fruity scent, L'heure Bleu is an Floral/Amberic scent.

I find that the EDT of L'heure Bleu stays truer to its EDP and extrait than Mitsouko does, but has similar longevity issues to the EDT of Mitsouko. Hope that helps a bit.

Blog Entries

Yes, that does help. Thank you. I will give the edp a try.

Mitsouko EdP (new version) lasts and lasts on me. Its peachy opening is very, very pungent, beautifully so, almost rubbery/heliotropin-like in my nose, maybe a heavy burst of the cinnamon? - and one has to be more patient with the wonderful drydown of vetiver and tree moss. On me, it takes about a whole day to evolve fully.

Basenotes Institution

You need the EdP. IMO, the EdT of Mitsouko isn't 'full' enough.

I think you've raised some interesting questions--here are my two cents:

1. If you bought Mitsouko EdT already but find it too fleeting you can layer the fragrance with a higher concerntration: I find the combination of Mitsouko EdT and a few drops of extrait works well so you may want to give that a try. (At least then the EdT is not a total lost.)

2. When it comes to Guerlain I find the EdP to be the best options if I can only buy one edition: depending on the fragrances the EdT editions can be very thin. (Never again with the L'Heure Bleue EdT!)

3. Yes, L'Heure Bleue is quite different from Mitsouko even through they were only 7 years apart. I have L'Heure Bleue extrait and it smells like high-quality talc powder on my skin--soft, reassuring. (I always wear it when I have insomnia: somehow the amber, tuberose and the jasmine help me destress.) Mitsouko, on the other hand, is angular with just the right plush. I'm still shocked by the slightly plastic-like opening in the latest editions but thankfully it fades away after about 15 minutes...

Anyhow, good luck and hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Mitsouko EdP (new version) lasts and lasts on me. Its peachy opening is very, very pungent, beautifully so, almost rubbery/heliotropin-like in my nose, maybe a heavy burst of the cinnamon? - and one has to be more patient with the wonderful drydown of vetiver and tree moss. On me, it takes about a whole day to evolve fully.
    So I take it the EDP has finally made it onto the reformulation table? Last I heard, only the EDT had been played with (which turned out not-so-bad). Should I stock up on the older EDP? Ha...more than the 3 bottles I already have that is...

N-Tesla - I have a bottle of the older EDT (in the gold stripped box), and it lasts very long on my skin, much longer than the latest version. Something you might also want to try.

Was going to purchase it but according to Guerlain it is listed as a woman's fragrance, so will pass.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Was going to purchase it but according to Guerlain it is listed as a woman's fragrance, so will pass.

IMHO It is no more feminine than many "masculin" scents such as Dior Homme, Givenchy Incense Jaipur Homme etc. they could easily have called it Mitsouko pour homme and it would seem perfectly masculin.

So much is to be learned my child.

The eventual gender of this perfume is - if you ask me - a dull detail. Mitsouko needs to be sniffed and owned.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    So much is to be learned my child.
    To each, his own. If you want to smell like a woman, knock your self out. I choose not to. As for your sarcasm, it is neither appreciated, nor warranted.

The eventual gender of this perfume is - if you ask me - a dull detail. Mitsouko needs to be sniffed and owned.
    Mr. Guerlain makes a valid point here.

I also recall reading somewhere that Mitsouko was a favorite of the great Charlie Chaplin.

Any truth to that?

I have yet to smell this.....but would love to someday.

Last edited by Richie_B; 1st November 2008 at 04:21 AM.

I agree, there is nothing inherently distaff about this scent, IMO.

Yes, the "classic feminines that work as masculines" tight rope.
    I have to say the Guerlains: Shalimar, Apres l'Ondee, L'Heure Bleue and Mitsouko, to name the obvious, are the ones that truly transcend gender and don't end up making you smell all mumsy.
    I wish I could say the same about Arpege, Joy, 1000 and so many of the others that Luca Turin recommends to the guys.
    IMO, there was a huge period of gender designation between the genderless era of turn-of-the-century Paris until the Great Depression and the rebirth of sexy in the 60's/70's - when those Boho feminine orientals and musks appeared and broke down all the forced, military industrial complex, gender rules.
    IMO, there is nothing sexier than the feminine designated Opium on a confident man, or for that matter, Cinnabar.
    Please guys, forget about those Lois Lane, green and leather, feminine chypres. After all, Bandit and Cabochard are basically, birch tar disappearing acts over vetiver - if you have the urge for a leather chypre, just grab a bottle of Aramis and if you want a vetiver grab the Guerlain - if you want both: LAYER.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 1st November 2008 at 06:28 AM.

To each, his own. If you want to smell like a woman, knock your self out. I choose not to. As for your sarcasm, it is neither appreciated, nor warranted.
    This might be an unimportant post but heres a question I was pondering out of the blue and just felt like posting:

With the entire world changing and the line of what it is to be male or female shrinking;

What actually defines a "womens" scent or a "mans scent."

With fragrances such as Mitsouko or L'Heure Bleue directly targeted for the female community but enjoyed by men as well and vice versa; I think that it is getting harder everyday to place a gender on a fragrance.

Hednic, im not trying to target you or anything on purpose but I use Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue on a regular basis because I like the smell of the fragrance and not because I want to smell like a girl.

Reminds of Sociology Class when the Topic Was "Blue and Toy Guns for Boys and Pink and Dolls for Girls"
    Last edited by heymynameismark; 1st November 2008 at 05:44 AM.

I tried a spray of Mitsouko EDT. I thought you said this not long lasting?

I sprayed one spray on my wrist. I didn't care for it so I washed it off. I could still smell it, so I washed again. Still could smell it. I rubbed alcohol on my wrist. I could still smell it. I finally sprayed a healthy does of Obsession over the spot where I sprayed Mitsouko and finally I couldn't smell Mitsouko anymore.

After a nights sleep, I woke up and could smell Mitsouko. Not long lasting? C'mon!

Finally after a shower, it was gone.

I find the EdT very long lasting too. But a lot of BN'ers not only want longevity, but also a fierce, far-reaching sillage-cloud going with that longevity.

I nice detail I've noticed lately: Many (Guerlain) scents smells slightly STRONGER on the arm the next morning than the night before - OR perhaps the nose is more sensitive in the morning (after a long sleep with no impressions?) than in the night (after a long day with loads of impressions?). Last time was this morning: I had Cologne du 68 on, when I went to sleep it was very much dried down, but in the morning, the first thing I noticed was a quite strong spicy, floral, resinous smell coming from my arm...

I wear both the EDT and the EDP (and sometimes the extrait). The EDT is "lighter", but I find it lasts all day on me. The EDP is much richer, and is my preference, but sometimes you don't want to overwhelm the room.

All those who get caught up in the male/female roles don't know what they're missing...saves more for the rest of us.

Many (Guerlain) scents smells slightly STRONGER on the arm the next morning than the night before - OR perhaps the nose is more sensitive in the morning (after a long sleep with no impressions?) than in the night (after a long day with loads of impressions?).
    This certainly goes for me. I even tend to have difficulty smelling some sillage monsters like Lorenzo Villoresi Garofano or Nasomatto Duro in the evening. When I wake up in the morning I can smell them just fine.

I wish the above held for Mitsouko EDT though... I get about 10 mins of pleasure out of that one... Haven't tried the EDP or extrait but I'm not holding my breath... I couldn't detect Jicky extrait about 1 hour after I sprayed it on from a tester
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    I couldn't detect Jicky extrait about 1 hour after I sprayed it on from a tester
    Jicky extrait IS quite subdued (but in an intense, long-lasting way) compared to the EdP or an older bottle of EdT - the latter is extremely manly-pungent-fougre-lavender-y (but only in the vintage form I think).