Code of Conduct

Question Fragrance for gentlemen

Greetings.
    I am looking for a[I]signature [I]fragrance. I have been looking into Creed's and Truefitt and Hill. The thing is, I am 26 and want a classic gentleman scent, for those special evening occasions. Can anyone give some advise please?
    PS. The particular fragrances I have been looking into are T&H Spanish leather, Trafalgar, and West Indian Limes; Creed's Royal English Leather; Geo F Trumper's Spanish Leather; Floris # 86 (I believe this is the number).
    Thanks!

Default Re: Fragrance for gentlemen

I say good work to be looking in this direction.
    I don't like leather scents so I won't comment on them.
    I've tried all of the Truefitt and Hill scents. I like Trafalgar (spicey wood) and also Grafton (dusky green). West Indian Limes is a classic, very citrus-y.
    I've tried most of the Geo F. Trumper line. I like Marlborough, Astor (both spicy woods), and Curzon (dusky green).
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Allo --
    I'm copying and pasting from something I posted, a bit ago....
    I've just puchased Spanish Leather (Truefitt & Hill), which is altogether comforting. No surprises. A new, safe favourite; and Grafton (Truefitt & Hill), which is very barbershop-y, and only very slightly fresh. Not cloying. If you're interested in T & H, they do offer cologne samples via post (in the USA, anyway). I've yet to try Taylor scents, Trumper scents, and Knize scents.
    Also, JHL (Estee Lauder) is a wonderful old favourite. Very warm and spicy, and excellent for winter. R (Revillon) reminds me of a hybrid offspring of Polo (Ralph Lauren) and JHL (Estee Lauder); mellower than the former, and fresher than the latter. Without any sharp edges. 1903 (J. Peterman) is perfection. Pour un Homme (Caron) seems to be a classic fragrance for gentlemen, but I'm still growing accustomed to it. It's like a lavender storm, followed by a vanilla haze.
    Regards,
    WTT

GF's Spanish Leather is frigging amazing. Love this stuff.

For me its
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    GIT
    Bond Bleecker Street
    maybe even Aqua Di Parma Colonia
    The critic has to educate the public; the artist has to educate the critic.

For me it is Creed Bois du Portugal. Reeks of Gentlman

Geo F Trumper's Eucris
    "Dont try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by WTT View Post
    Also, JHL (Estee Lauder) is a wonderful old favourite. Very warm and spicy, and excellent for winter. R (Revillon) reminds me of a hybrid offspring of Polo (Ralph Lauren) and JHL (Estee Lauder); mellower than the former, and fresher than the latter. Without any sharp edges. 1903 (J. Peterman) is perfection. Pour un Homme (Caron) seems to be a classic fragrance for gentlemen, but I'm still growing accustomed to it. It's like a lavender storm, followed by a vanilla haze.
    Regards,
    WTT
    I didn't know both Estee Lauder and Aramis marketed JHL? Thanks for the info

Wasn't JHL (Joseph Harold Lauder) her husband's name?
    Last edited by silverbullet; 21st October 2008 at 10:51 PM.

I can't give any suggestions - apologies for being an ignoramus on the subject - but there was a very good review on PST today (tuesday) of Montale's Greyland that specifically described it as the scent of a gentleman: http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot.com/
    I quote from the review:
    "Notes from Luckyscent: cedar, teak, sandalwood from Mysore, Sri Lankan pepper, elemi and cardamom, musk, rock rose and benzoin. Over at Fragrantica, the listed notes are cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, guaiac wood, ginger, pepper, leather, musk and rose. (I am not really getting any ginger from this, but the leather, oh yeah.)"

It sounds beautiful.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

When I sampled Platinum Egoiste, I thought that it was a very classy gentlemans scent. It's slightly sweet, woody, and a bit smoky.

Chanel PM and Givenchy Gentleman are two more suggestions that I enjoy.

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Heritage. Class in a bottle and perfect for special evenings.

Also, Third Man if you're looking for a louder, more funky, but still gentlemanly fragrance. Also great for evenings.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

It's unfortunate that two of the fragrances I find the most gentlemanly are also discontinued - Helmut Lang's Cuiron and Patou pour Homme.

That being said may I suggest the inappropriately titled L'Anarchiste. This is a refined blend of mandarin, cedar and musk and is just the thing I'd wear if I wasn't sure who I wanted to impress.It's interesting without being heavy and pervasive - something the admittedly gentlemanly Knize Ten can't really say ( especially given Mexican weather! )

Of course, there's always Givenchy Gentleman, but like others, I find that more hippie than gentleman ( patchouli BOMB ).

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    I didn't know both Estee Lauder and Aramis marketed JHL? Thanks for the info

Wasn't JHL (Joseph Harold Lauder) her husband's name?
    Allo --

I had to check my bottles of JHL! You're absolutely correct, silverbullet--Aramis distributed it. The blurb on the back of the fragrance box mentions that it's Estee Lauder's custom-blended fragrance for the most important man in her life. The bottles that I have are from 1992-1996, but I do believe that I've read on Basenotes that the stuff is still occasionally found at Nordstrom's and such places.

Regards,

WTT
    Laura: What's that smell? It's sort of like something that's trying to be cologne.
    Dr. Katz: Oh, you know what that is? It's a fragrance for men.
    Laura: Oh--oh, and you're wearing it! I get it.
    Dr. Katz: What do you think? It takes some getting used to.
    Laura: Oh--that's a good name for it.
    --from Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist (Season 2, Episode 8)

yeah chanel fragrances are great for gentlemen, none are primarily based at at a younger age range, or used by many. allure, egoiste, platinum egoiste, pour monsieur, antaneus, plus others all eldue class and charisma and maybe the only one aimed at a yougner audience is allure homme sport. so yeah try all chanel fragrances and you might like something. hope i helped.

hey I have a couple of questions for you.

Do you live in Mexico? if so, where did your first hear about creeds an T&H are there any stores selling those brands?

I am not a big fan of T&H and Creed. T&H is a little bit overpriced (and WIL has no longevity at all). IMO the only full bottle worthy (FBW) Creed is Acier Aluminium.
    BdP has a lot of fans here, but I will recommend Heritage instead. Much more complex and cheaper.
    Other gentlemanly fragrances are classy citruses like Signoricci, Chanel pour Monsieur and Aqua di Parma Colonia. I also favor Rive Gauche and I am becoming a huge fan of Domenico Caraceni, though this one is somewhat hard to find. Egoiste and Commes des Garcons 2 Man are good too.
    Last edited by irish; 22nd October 2008 at 06:21 PM.

Off-Scenter

A few "gentlemanly" fragrances that come to mind are Heritage, New York, and Jaipur Homme (orientals), Caron Pour un Homme (lavender), The Third Man, Ungaro III (fougeres), Encre Noir (vetiver), and, if your're feeling daring, Eau d'Hermes (lascivious leather).

If you're willing to explore niche scents, I'd also recommend Santal Noble and Iris Bleu Gris by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, Eau Lente by Diptyque, French Lover/Bois d'Orage and Vetiver Extraordinaire from Frederic Malle, and Gris Clair, from Serge Lutens.

These are what you want...

GFT (Trumpers)
    Endymion (Penhaligons)
    Douro (Penhaligons)
    Traditional (Hugh Parsons "blue")
    Original Vetiver (Creed)
    Selection Verte (Creed)
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Because of your age, I would recommend Anvers original or Nomad by D'Orsay (if you can find it!).

I would go with Truefitt & Hill's 1805 but also Aramis. They have a "gentlemanly" feel to them, more "men's suit" than jean and a tee-shirt.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th December 2009 at 12:57 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I sampled few years ago BOSS Number One,and I remember been a very classy fragrance.

Apart from the fragrance names previously mentioned, most or all of them being great, you will probably like Loewe para Hombre and Esencia Loewe, Monsieur de Givenchy, Spazio Krizia, Versace L'Homme, Boucheron pour Homme, Guerlain's Mouchoir de Monsieur, Rocabar by Hermes, La Martina Hombre, anything by Hugh Parsons, Knize Forest and Armani Eau pour Homme

For me it would be Creed Acier Aluminium or Creed Bois du Portugal.

Wow, thank you very much for a female input! Greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    hey I have a couple of questions for you.

Do you live in Mexico? if so, where did your first hear about creeds an T&H are there any stores selling those brands?

I am not a big fan of T&H and Creed. T&H is a little bit overpriced (and WIL has no longevity at all). IMO the only full bottle worthy (FBW) Creed is Acier Aluminium.
    BdP has a lot of fans here, but I will recommend Heritage instead. Much more complex and cheaper.
    Other gentlemanly fragrances are classy citruses like Signoricci, Chanel pour Monsieur and Aqua di Parma Colonia. I also favor Rive Gauche and I am becoming a huge fan of Domenico Caraceni, though this one is somewhat hard to find. Egoiste and Commes des Garcons 2 Man are good too.
    Very hard. I heard of them in the US, not in Mexico. My guess is try to find someone who lives in the US, so you can purchase the fragrance and have it sent to that person, who would mail it to you in turn. Good Luck!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Kudos to your choice for this is by far, my favorite style of fragrance. My top picks:-

Esencia de Loewe
    1725 by Histoires de Parfums
    Domenico Caraceni 1913

hmmm, Knize ten maybe? Not a dilligent gentlemens scent though is courteous when applied lightly, also polo green is very suarve!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Monsieur de Givenchy
    Ah, yes, how could I forget MdG. I second this one.

Creed's Royal English Leather; Geo F Trumper's Spanish Leather; love these

Creed GIT and BdP
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Floris Santal
    Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

i want a gentleman fragrance now! maybe caron ph or anarchiste

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyPepper View Post
    i want a gentleman fragrance now! maybe caron ph or anarchiste
    Either one is a good choice.

I envision a gentlemans signature scent as a brisk citurs/chypre in the lines of:

Chanel pour monsieur
    YSL pour homme
    Eau Sauvage
    Annick goutal Eau d'Hadrien

They all smell similar with the exception of Eau Sauvage