Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Wednesday 22 October-08

Good morning everybody. Today seems to be a whole lot better than yesterday even though it's still insanely early! I'm off to work and it' still dark! i'm in the gorgeous Egoiste.Unfortunately I think this scent will be the closest I ever get to Bois des iles : / Well, a nice scent on its own terms non the less! Hope you all have a great day!
    Sote is Aromatics Elexir.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 22nd October 2008 at 03:55 PM.

Smile Re: SotD Wednesday 22 October-08

EDITIONS DE PARFUMS FRÉDÉRIC MALLE

Default Re: SotD Wednesday 22 October-08

Cinnabar by Estee Lauder.
    I even this out a little by wearing The Body Shop Satsuma Body Lotion underneath.
    The orange note makes Cinnabar sing.

I'm trying Jicky today. The sample is one with a little stick, rather than a spray, and I always find it difficult to get the right amount onto my skin with those things.

Long frustrating day today but wearing the gorgeous Love's True Bluish Light. It's starting to wear off so I'm wondering which comfort scent to apply as SotE. Also trying to avoid getting suckered into comfort food.

Twolf, all the best of luck for Oath Day. I'm sure you'll be great and the best smelling person there! We are right behind you!

ComDiva, hope everything is fine and that the mammogram went smoothly.
    Last edited by jillsy; 22nd October 2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: grammar failure

Oh, Jillsy- I know just what you mean.

Scentsister mayner- are your tsitskelech OK ?
    Much more fun to have Senor Husband squoosh 'em instead, alas.
    The tittiyfairy sends kisses !

I'm a-weary.
    To MGH I go- am nearly packed for tomorrow...need birthday presents, little gifties for my sweet hostesses, etc.

I'm in Neil's Dervish- one glorious rose/ patch/amber/vanilla.
    What's NOT to like ???
    Purty, purty.

Hope you're all taking care of yourselves, my dears.

Chaya Dervish sounds lovely and I´m sure it well go well

Today I´m in Lolita Lempicka L
    I´m trying to find a perfume that has a lot of presence and doesnt fade soon and smells nice to the majority.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Basenotes Institution

Eau de L'Occitan by L'Occitane (frst time from a sample - thanks Comdiva!)

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Angel today ... I have to go to traffic court later I got a speeding ticket last week.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Plus

L'Or de Torrente: Citrus, pink pepper and rose with a dollop of coffee. An intoxicating mix, elegant and sensual.

Have a great Wednesday, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

For one of those beautiful bright autumn days: Divine L'Homme de Cœur
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Gonna be CHIWWY today...so breaking out my teeny decant (from TPC - from TPC!) of the smoky, tarry, unbeatable...

...oh! I wish someone would step forward and offer to share a $240 bottle of this totally unique (to me) "Essence of distilled scotch, vetiver root, birch bark" (from LuckyScent)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

chaya, tittyfairy, dervish sounds divine...
    shades, do you really think that angel is going to help you drive more slowly????
    me, second full wearing of Ta'if...LOVE this stuff...I am utterly infatuated.
    have a lovely day,
    blessings from the buttfairy
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

There are way too many anatomical fairies floating around today.
    shadesofbleu, is going to court on your first full day of being a moderator any way to set an example?
    chaya have a splendiferous time at the Fall Ball.
    Today I am wearing:

Guerlain Derby

I've been waiting a while to try this one and what is nice is it isn't disappointing. Since this is the new formulation I was worried it wouldn't be so good. No worries as this is right up there with Knize Ten as an excellent leather scent on me. What is nice about Derby is there is a little more complexity in the top which is quite powdery but has a hint of mint to it as well. The transition from rose into leather as we move from heart to base is seamless and eye-opening. I will now be very interested to try the vintage formulation and see if I think it is better. This one is so good I'm hard pressed to believe the vintage can be that much better.
    Have a great day everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Derby sounds wonderful, SMM. I wish I could get my husband interested in fragrances. He would smell great in my SotD:

Montale's Boisé Vanillé, from a sample. Not a foody, sweet vanilla, this is a woodsy spicy incensy sexy composition with just a hint of sweetness. If you like Estee Lauder's Sensuous but find it too sugary, you will definitely like this one. It's a tad too manly smelling for me, but it smells too good to resist. Dangerous for me to try these Montales! Notes: lemon, geranium, bergamot, lavender, cedar leaves from Canada, Jamaican pepper, iris, patchouli, vanilla, tonka bean.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Ricci Club - Nina Ricci

Showered off and feeling less stressed now so decided to try the new Avon Bond Girl 007. I'm not a fan since there's a synthetic in the middle-base that I dislike which is also in NR for Her, SJP Lovely, Tous Touch, Ramon Molvizar Musk Goldskin Oriental (and others I've forgotten). I hazarded a guess at this being Cashmeran, and seeing "Cashmere woods" as one of the basenotes only reinforces this belief in my mind. The small amount of sillage it produces, however, smells rather caramelly and yummy.

SL Cedre today.

Need help.

Tomorrow evening, I am meeting up with an ex-boyfriend who has had a really important influence in my life. This is the guy who encouraged me to go to graduate school and who I was supposed to marry when I got out. The story would take a novel.

We've been communicating off and on since we last saw each other (about 6 years ago). The last meeting was.....uncomfortable. He wants to see me while I am in town.

I haven't been this nervous since my last blind date (which was probably 5 years ago).

What the hell do I wear!?!?!?! HELP!!!!!!
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Parure edt BLEH!! It's just not for me!

Twins with Jillsy in LOVE'S TRUE BLUISH LIGHT

Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque

Ooooh Sakecat! Well, what message do you want to convey? Need just a tad more info...

There is a light frost on the lawn this AM, and the thermometer reads at only 34 degrees (F)!
    Time to break out the winter faves....I will be basking in the yummy comfort of Luten's Un Bois Vanille!

SMM, I still remember your picture-puzzle for Derby. I am surprised that you've not tried it before. I guess, with seeing that puzzle, I thought you'd had it in your repertoire for a while.

Ailuros, I prefer sprayers over dabbers as well.

Wearing Rose-Oil-Without-A-Name again.

sakecat: Bandit but if you don´t have that I´d go for anything that makes you feel confident and assertive.
    Clothes wise, anything that feels like you and maybe a little assertive
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Ailuros, we're scent twins in Jicky! (Tell me, am I your first twin? I'd be honored.)

Sharing the house with SMM. (Hey, guy, funny story: While walking through the industrial yard next door, we saw a handwritten sign on a dead-ended piece of equipment: BAD HOSE. Ha, now the song's stuck in your head.)

Today: Laundry, housekeeping, suitcase packing. :wave: Bye
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

SotD is Aramis.

Top Notes
    Bergamot Oil.

Middle Notes
    Clary Sage, Myrtle Oil, Clove Bud Oil.

Base Notes

Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Tree Moss.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quarry, yes, you're my first twin . Nice to meet you :wave:.

Bois des Iles on a chilly cloudy morning. This evening I'm eating out so I'll sample "Dans tes Bras"; I'm looking forward to it.

Ubu: that may be my problem. I'm in a happy relationship now. Don't particularly want to go back to him. But I still want to be seen as desireable.

We've got a long history of "Mexican Hat Dancing".

I guess for more info - his signature scent for me was Hypnotic Poison. For whatever reason, I'm not entirely sure I want to wear that because I feel like a pretty different person from the one who wore that at that time (though I still wear and love the scent).

Like the idea of Bandit - but I haven't worn the decant Taolady was kind enough to send yet. Not so sure how it's going to react on my skin. I think I want to go with something a bit more predictable.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Try it out a little now, just a drop. Dont wear Hypnotic Poison, that might seem to him that you are wearing it for him..you can be confident and attractive but you dont want to give the guy the idea that you are still available for him right?

How I love our SotD threads, where our fragrances are truly a part of our lives, with tittifairies and other fairies, laughs about setting good examples ( with SMM here), facing the music of seeing an ex (wear something smooth, to make you feel good and to show him what he is missing in his everyday existence without you, sakecat! Not Bandit, please, which you are certainly NOT), going on a long scented trip (kisses to Q).

Ambers are calling my name today. Cooler temps require warmer scents! Now it is a toss between IPdF Ambra del Nepal and Il Profumo Ambre d'Or. Both -- yumissimo!

Triplet for Love's True Bluish Light. First time sampling it, and I'm slightly disappointed given the huge hype.It's that way with all my eagerly awaited samples this time round: Poivre Piquant, Musc Ravageur AND Love's True Bluish Light are somewhat of a disappointment. It's pleasant enough, but too sweet for me. Maybe musks just aren't me? I do hope I'll still find something to fall in love with among my sample order.

Sakecat how about Serendipitous? Suggesting this for the name as much as the fragrance, I''ve only read descriptions of it btw but it sounds delish.

Testing Pink Sugar today and really enjoying it. It's as if the makers took the chocolateyness out of Vanille Noire Du Mexique and added strawberry/cotton candy instead. The bergamot and vanilla notes in both fragrances seem identical to me. Pink Sugar is so yummy in its own right that it has to go my wishlist. Thanks Taolady!

Sakecat, I guess the Serendipitous isn't the look you're going for? If he's a chocolate fan it might make him really sorry he lost you (though maybe unsure as to why.)

I'm wearing Alien. I think,

Quote Originally Posted by chaelaran1008 View Post
    Sakecat how about Serendipitous? Suggesting this for the name as much as the fragrance, I''ve only read descriptions of it btw but it sounds delish.

!
    I can't believe we both had the same thought at the same time. Was I channeling you, or were you reading my mind?

Quote Originally Posted by sakecat22 View Post
    Need help.

Tomorrow evening, I am meeting up with an ex-boyfriend who has had a really important influence in my life. This is the guy who encouraged me to go to graduate school and who I was supposed to marry when I got out. The story would take a novel.

We've been communicating off and on since we last saw each other (about 6 years ago). The last meeting was.....uncomfortable. He wants to see me while I am in town.

I haven't been this nervous since my last blind date (which was probably 5 years ago).

Here's my advice ScentSis from my male persepctive.
    When I've run into my old flames especially the ones where embers are still burning it is the new version that is interesting to me. The version from the past and I went our separate ways for whatever the reason.
    So my advice is for you to wear something that you feel says something about the person you are today. Not the person who needed encouraging to go to grad school but the confident, successful product of that schooling and your career.
    When thinking about what to wear think about the image you have of yourself today and dress to that standard.
    When deciding what scent to wear, wear one of your favorites. In fact wear your favorite fall scent. This is more emblematic of who you are.
    If he is any kind of a man he will be impressed with the person whom he encouraged along the way to her success. Also maybe he'll be a little wistful at the one that got away, too.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 22nd October 2008 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    I can't believe we both had the same thought at the same time. Was I channeling you, or were you reading my mind?
    OMG. That is AMAZING!

The incomparable Tenaz by Daniel de Fasson
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 22nd October 2008 at 02:27 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    When I've run into my old flames especially the ones where embers are still burning it is the new version that is interesting to me. The version from the past and I went our separate ways for whatever the reason.
    So my advice is for you to wear something that you feel says something about the person you are today. Not the person who needed encouraging to go to grad school but the confident, successful product of that schooling and your career.
    When thinking about what to wear think about the image you have of yourself today and dress to that standard.
    When deciding what scent to wear, wear one of your favorites. In fact wear your favorite fall scent. This is more emblematic of who you are.
    If he is any kind of a man he will be impressed with the person whom he encouraged along the way to her success. Also maybe he'll be a little wistful at the one that got away, too.
    As usual, Somerville Metro Man has great advice. I agree with all of the above 100%. Sakecat, you are wonderful as you are in this moment. Let your fragrance be an expression of that.

WOW! Love the guy perspective SMM!
    Sakecat: Good luck. I like to believe that the story never ends, but there can be many pauses as we go through life. But I'm a hopeless romantic.

Wearing Bois des Iles today, perfect for this fab fall day. I'm wearing the parfum today, but I think I prefer the EDT. It's brigher.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Sharing the house with SMM. (Hey, guy, funny story: While walking through the industrial yard next door, we saw a handwritten sign on a dead-ended piece of equipment: BAD HOSE. Ha, now the song's stuck in your head.)
    I knew you were a secret member of the Evil League of Evil.
    I await news of the chaos you will spread for the next week as you travel.
    Have a great time and don't forget to pack your Freeze Ray.
    Ha!! now that one's stuck in your head.

Josef Statkus for me today ~ jasmine, patchouli, coriander, incense, amber, cashmere wood, vanilla, benzoin, musk

That is such sage advice, SMM. I agree.

This conjures up such old memories. . . .

SMM: Truly excellent advice.
    Sakecat: Good luck, and remember even if you had help along the way you are the one who made the decision to go on with your education and did the hard work. I agree that you just need to be proud of yourself and be in your skin today. I hope you'll tell us what you decide to wear and how it made you feel.

----------
    So far, I'm wearing Gucci Rush sprayed straight from the box.

Hi Sakecat,

I went through similar things ages ago. I believe incense has a calming effect and usually has a calming effect and doesn't provoke much emotions. I would suggest Incense Tibet by Ava Luxe. I read your blog and you seem to have a positive association with it. Good luck with the meeting!

Wearing Luctor et Emergo today, a sample from a generous basenoter. Praised by my reception and I like it a lot. It is smoky, incensy and very easy to wear. I would love to get a bottle!

Yup: what he said. And isn't it nice to get the male perspective? But having looked at your blog, can I suggest Bois des Iles? It's beautiful and calm and wise somehow.

I await news of the chaos you will spread for the next week as you travel.
    Have a great time and don't forget to pack your Freeze Ray.
    I now have a vision of Quarry dressed in a white coat with goggles, spreading mayhem across the nation. Have a great time, Joy! And for all readers who are saying 'whuh?' Quarry got me into watching a hilariously silly online scifi musical by Joss Whedon, (who wrote Buffy and Angel and Firefly) about a mad doctor who wants to control the world with his Freeze Ray. (So maybe I'm not nuts, just a screaming geek.)

On a less nerdy note, today I had to get up at what we Brits call 'sparrow's fart' and what polite people call 'before dawn', to take The Small One to the children's hospital in Zurich for a check up (nothing serious and it turns out she's in tip top condition). So we organised a little treat for afterwards of a posh haircut in the children-only hairdresser's. We had half an hour to kill and found ourself on Bahnhofstrasse, THE shopping street in Zurich, so I girded my loins and took my daughter into the Chanel boutique. I'd been too scared before, as I'd been into Hermes and the SAs were fearsomely snobby and snotty. But you had all said the Chanel Girls were honeys, so...

In we go, me in cordoroy and tweed trying desperately to look like I could afford to buy something in the shop, Small in a lurid ski jacket, eating a buttered pretzel as big as her head. (She was warned on the doorstep 'no touching or ELSE!!!!') You were all right! The SAs were lovely! I got a spritz of No. 22 on one wrist and Cuir de Russie on the other. Small held up her hand and asked for a spritz too, and the SA - bless her! - gave her some No 22. (If she doesn't grow up to be a perfumista, I'll be astonished.). So I'm standing there doing the basenotes salute with alternate wrists in turn, almost gurgling with pleasure when I see a movement behind me... Small has escaped!

The Chanel boutique has mirrored walls and pillars everywhere - very smart and chic, obviously all pristine and perfect. So Small (who loves mirrors) is standing in front of one, gazing admiringly at herself, buttery pretzel in hand. Then, before I could grab her, she kissed her reflection. Leaving a big, buttery smudge on the glass! I was aghast! I expected to be thrown out on my ear, but no, the Chanel ladies were laughing! I was mortified but they were really sweet and said 'it's fine! don't worry!' and were lovely.

So there you go. Proof that the SAs in Chanel are fantastic. I will be back. And (after some saving) I will probably be shelling out the huge amount of money that a bottle of an Exclusif costs. And a lot of it is down to them being lovely.

Well, OK, actually, it's mostly down to the perfumes being drool-worthily gorgeous. I have been smelling myself all day. OK, SMM put me down as No 22 for SOTD and I hope everyone is imagining me sitting here as I write, breaking off frequently to sniff my wrist and make that 'glahgl glahgl' drooling noise Homer Simpson makes.

Excuse me please, I really need to lie down now. *gurgling happily*
    x
    Last edited by Wordbird; 22nd October 2008 at 04:12 PM. Reason: mae spellung isss bard
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Jean PatouPatou Pour Homme Privé

Benefit's Maybe Baby

Goodnight, guys.(It's 24.00 here....zz.zz..z...z)
    You all have a great day tomorrow!

Wordbird your story made my day. That's just adorable.

Mmmm, everyone smells lovely. I love fall fragrances.

Today I am also in a Montale, mine's Black Aoud for a chilly grey day.

Wordbird, I love that story! So sweet! I'm glad the Chanel SAs were lovely.

I'm wearing my 2nd SotD now, Prada edp (picked out from the bucketload of samples sent by Musse - thank you Musse!), which I thought I had tested a few years ago, but I don't remember being this blown away by it. Holy smokes! This is gorgeous stuff. I'm smelling way too elegant for myself today.

I'm in NRFH edp today, with the body lotion as well. I'm sharing an office this week and visiting lots of meetings so I've been playing safe thus far, but tomorrow I might let loose a blast of tuberose or spicy amber.

Patch 24 -- its verging on burning leaf weather today in New York and I need something big and furry to ward off the dentist.

Sakecat, love your blog. I kind of like Wordbird's Bois des Iles idea. It's meditative and not too come-hither, with a retrospective vibe.

SMM: You are absolutely right, dear.
    Sakecat: Wear what feels good. Another unsolicited bit of advice. Do tell your current partner about the meeting, if you haven't already. It may add clarity to your fragrance and clothing choices.

I am wearing Bois d'Armenie today. As I held my bottle for the first time this fall, I noted how much I used this fragrance last winter. Once I walked out into the cold morning, I remembered why. So perfect.

Thank you all for the moral support and sage advice.

And ScentBro - thank you for the male perspective. Though I often wonder if there is really that much difference between the girl he met 20 years ago and the slightly older girl he'll encounter now
    Sakecat's Scent Project

Ubu: that may be my problem. I'm in a happy relationship now. Don't particularly want to go back to him. But I still want to be seen as desireable.

We've got a long history of "Mexican Hat Dancing".

I guess for more info - his signature scent for me was Hypnotic Poison. For whatever reason, I'm not entirely sure I want to wear that because I feel like a pretty different person from the one who wore that at that time (though I still wear and love the scent).

Like the idea of Bandit - but I haven't worn the decant Taolady was kind enough to send yet. Not so sure how it's going to react on my skin. I think I want to go with something a bit more predictable.
    Then I say, choose your fragrance only for YOU! Spritz on the one that makes you feel your very best! You have some lovely ones to choose from, I'm certain you'll make a perfect pick! (def. skip the hypnotic poison - this time, anyway!) Afterward, I hope you'll share some juicy bits with us! You know how we love good scoop!

I'm at home with a bad sore throat, feeling sorry for myself, and wearing one of my comfort scents - Sensuous.

Wordbird - I love your story about the Small One - it made me smile, and today that's quite a feat.

Leave it to my ScentKids to be so darn thoughtful and insightful about Life, the Universe, and Everything (and thanks to Quarry for hooking Joss Wheden's claws even further into me with "Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog... Not to be missed).

Sakecat, I say wear (both clothing and scent) what makes you feel most beautifully, ridiculously, and sublimely your SELF, regardless of who your ex is expecting. Revel in what he's given you, and where you have surpassed his expectations. SMM's advice also seems spot-on to me. Above all, HAVE FUN. I had the shock of my life just before I married my DH (more than 20 years ago now!): Got a call from my first serious boyfriend out of the blue, who informed me that I'd been on his mind, and in all the years since we'd been together, he'd never found anyone who'd love him as thoroughly and well as I had. Would I think about getting married? I replied, "As a matter of fact, I AM getting married. To the right guy. Not you." Evil of me, but honest. Take anything that's useful from my experience and pitch the rest.

Sigh. Got a call today from the radiology folks. There is a "questionable" section of yesterday's mammogram. Must go to Boston proper for a detailed reading Friday morning. I am a horrible coward, and have so many things planned... May well be nothing, but I am frightened stupid.

Chose Possets Gingerbread Crackhouse today to bolster my spirits and rally my BN support network.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

ComDiva, dear, I'm with you in thought and virtual support....come on, smile, it won't be anything.
    I've got a half-day long business meeting with two lovely guys from the US today (BTW, one of them was from a town near Boston and obviously I thought of you, Bostonian clan!) and completely bedazzled them with my Cuir de Lancome. Well, at least I hope so
    The meeting had a positive business result, that's for sure!
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 22nd October 2008 at 05:56 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

layered YR Pur Desir de Rose and LLPs Anarchy