Code of Conduct

Default Lorenzo Villoresi

My sample pack of 10 Lorenzo Villoresi scents arrived today. This is my first time smelling things from this house and I must admit I'm very inspired! I was at Barney's New York yesterday smelling all the latest and greatest of the niche houses. While there were some very nice things, nothing gave me a huge WOW response. I got that response from at least 6 of these samples so far. I can't wait to give them each a full wearing and share with you my experience. Just suffice it to say that my first impression is quite good with this house indeed!

My samples are:
    Garofano
    Sandalo
    Vetiver
    Yerbamate
    Uomo
    Dilmun
    Spezie
    Musk
    Incensi
    Wild Lavender
    Last edited by mrclmind; 22nd October 2008 at 07:41 PM.

Default Re: Lorenzo Villoresi

Where did you get the sampler pack, is the company providing them? If so, do they charge and how much? I couldn't find any retailer in Canada and 10 samples from The Perfume Shoppe would cost $30...

Basenotes Institution

My advice mrclmind: Don't be surprised when a few of them come off as very rough and edgy in the top notes, only to unfold, soften and widen out when they dry down. It's kind of a house style, of LV (and I believe, what Turin dislikes about this house).

I have only tried a few, and only own one (Spezie). But Villoresi scents never fail to make a lasting impression on me. I can't wait to own Vetiver and Yerbamate.

BTW - there's a limited edition scent he did a while ago named Tropicana, that a generous Basenoter shared with me. It's like an explosion of fruit punch, taffy and powder. Perhaps the most brutal fruit scent I've ever sniffed. Short longevity, but a surreal experience nonetheless.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd October 2008 at 07:52 PM.

Villoresi is a love or hate house and I love it. Great materials, daring compositions, he doesn't play by the rulebook. I love Sandalo, Incensi, Piper nigrum, Vetiver and Colonia and enjoy Spezie & Uomo as well.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I love many of them and wear them with pleasure.
    I like the author's sensitivity.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Where did you get the sampler pack, is the company providing them? If so, do they charge and how much? I couldn't find any retailer in Canada and 10 samples from The Perfume Shoppe would cost $30...
    I purchased them from The Perfumed Court

I think it's a great house. I own Yerbamate and Dilmun and would be happy to own any other one in the house except Piper Nigrum. I especially like the olfactory Sabattier effect he achieves with his presentation of the dominant accords.

I have been totally smitten by Yerbamate(my first Full Bottle of Villoresi).

what happened next? i have bottles of Piper Nigrum, Incensi & Musk coming in. cant wait to add, Vetiver, Uomo, Sandalo, Spezie & Dilmun to the list... simply incredible and a house that "clicked" with me..
    Last edited by jenson; 22nd October 2008 at 08:05 PM.

In Europe you can get samples from Aus Liebe zum Duft.
    Is there anyone here wearing Alamut ? What do you think of it ?
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Hello Night..i do have a sample of Alamut and i love it!! nice rose (agarbatti, incense)tops note soon melting into an amazing rosewoods....mid's is rounded of with touch of tuberose and rusty (white smoke) incense on a base of musk and amber....another lovely creation by Villoresi with definite progressions!!

. I've always wondered why this fragrance has been put onto the market as a feminine perfume. I find it so sexy and elegant worn by a man.

LV Uomo is one of my top-10 scents, it is a gorgeous, rounded vetiver.
    I also appreciate Incensi very much.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I own nine bottles of Villoresi's fragrances and love them all. I noticed that Piper Nigrum and Patchouli were not in the list of the 10 samples you got. You must try those, too! Piper NIgrum is one of his most popular ones (and rightly so). It changes for hours and goes from one interesting place to another. His Patchouli is one of the most unfairly neglected of his line. He coyly lists the notes as basically being lots of patchouli with just a few other notes, but give it a sniff and you'll find that there is more wonderful weirdness going on than he is letting on. There are a few other houses I'm really fond of (MPG and L'Artisan being two of my top examples), but Villoresi is still my favorite house.

How come no one has mentioned Wild Lavender? I haven't smelled it yet, but it was the one that I thought would be most appealing to me given the notes.

Quote Originally Posted by akshay03 View Post
    How come no one has mentioned Wild Lavender? I haven't smelled it yet, but it was the one that I thought would be most appealing to me given the notes.
    I really like the sample of it. It's definitely on my list of possible bottle worthy LV scents.

I think that probably the reason Wild Lavender and Colonia don't get talked about as much as some of the others is that they are not distributed in the US.

I noticed you were wearing Sandalo as you SotD. It will be interesting to know your impressions - and perhaps how it compares with MPG's Santal Noble.

Incensi and Spezie lover here

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Sandalo is one of my all-time favorites. It strikes a perfect balance between the dry woodiness of sandal (I doubt it is Mysore these days - perhaps a percentage, but it somewhat lacks santalum album's creaminess) , resinous florals of rosewood and rose and powdery oppoponax and musk. It's like a European intepretation of an Attar, a Real Alcazar of perfumes.
    I would need to retry my Santal Noble decant. Initially I did not like it too much, because the coffee-chocolaty notes drowned out the sandalwood rather than complementing it - for a gourmandized sandalwood I'd prefer Lutens Santal de Mysore. OK I just spritzed in and I actually like it better now than I used to, after an initial muddle. Darker, more toned down, but also more "perfumey" sweetness than Villoresi - Lorenzo suits me far better. SN could work beautifully on someone else, though.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 23rd October 2008 at 11:34 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I'm looking forward to wearing Sanalo today. I personally really like Santal Noble quite a lot. So we will see!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I'm looking forward to wearing Sanalo today. I personally really like Santal Noble quite a lot. So we will see!!
    i think ZZtop refers Sandalo as "glorified Tamdao!" now, how beautiful is that

Quote Originally Posted by akshay03 View Post

It used to be called Inglese and it was initially distributed in the States.
    It's a very nice, full bodied, spicy, lasting lavender.

The LAFCO store in NY has sold a spray sample pack of all the line: 16 scents, 2 ml each for $20!

The only thing is, I think it's just in the stores and only sometimes.

It would actually make a decent gift.

Just off my day of wearing Sandalo. It's really a gorgeous sandalwood. I can't say that I like it more than Santal Noble, but I do love it. SN is more of a composed perfume based around a strong sandalwood note. Sanadalo is a beautiful, long-lasting, rich and somewhat linear (in the best meaning of that word) sandalwood fragrance. It's got a creaminess to it that I like. Some sandalwoods are much too dry, where as this one strikes a real perfect balance. There are many sandalwoods on the market and this one is one of the best I've worn so far. I'll definitely be getting a bottle asap!

I've tried Uomo, Piper Nigrum and Patchouli and like them all. There is definitely the feel of quality to them. Lorenzo is an artist!

Just off my day of wearing Sandalo. It's really a gorgeous sandalwood. I can't say that I like it more than Santal Noble, but I do love it. SN is more of a composed perfume based around a strong sandalwood note. Sanadalo is a beautiful, long-lasting, rich and somewhat linear (in the best meaning of that word) sandalwood fragrance. It's got a creaminess to it that I like. Some sandalwoods are much too dry, where as this one strikes a real perfect balance. There are many sandalwoods on the market and this one is one of the best I've worn so far. I'll definitely be getting a bottle asap!
    Sounds awesome!

Can't wait to try it

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Sandalo is one of my all-time favorites. It strikes a perfect balance between the dry woodiness of sandal (I doubt it is Mysore these days - perhaps a percentage, but it somewhat lacks santalum album's creaminess) , resinous florals of rosewood and rose and powdery oppoponax and musk. It's like a European intepretation of an Attar, a Real Alcazar of perfumes.
    I would need to retry my Santal Noble decant. Initially I did not like it too much, because the coffee-chocolaty notes drowned out the sandalwood rather than complementing it - for a gourmandized sandalwood I'd prefer Lutens Santal de Mysore. OK I just spritzed in and I actually like it better now than I used to, after an initial muddle. Darker, more toned down, but also more "perfumey" sweetness than Villoresi - Lorenzo suits me far better. SN could work beautifully on someone else, though.

Thanks for sharing your impressions mrclmind & the_good_life! I just received a bottle of Santal Noble and I've heard some good things about Sandalo. These posts could well be pasted into the current sandalwood thread. It would be nice to have a tiny bit genuine Mysore Sandalwood just as a reference. Its hard to know exactly what one is smelling these days without prior experience with the real thing. Now I will definitely need a sample / decant .... hmmm or should this be a "blind buy"??
    Last edited by Delmar; 24th October 2008 at 06:04 AM.

I've yet to sniff any LV scents . It sounds like the style of composition is somewhat similar to MPG - is that right?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I've yet to sniff any LV scents . It sounds like the style of composition is somewhat similar to MPG - is that right?
    I would say they have a similar daring "no holds barred" vibe. I don't think any of the MPG's smell like any of the Viloresis, but they do perhaps have a similar sensibility. I can easily imagine that there are many other people, besides me, who are big fans of both houses (or who don't care for either one, for that matter).

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I would say they have a similar daring "no holds barred" vibe. I don't think any of the MPG's smell like any of the Viloresis, but they do perhaps have a similar sensibility. I can easily imagine that there are many other people, besides me, who are big fans of both houses (or who don't care for either one, for that matter).

exactly...no comparison between these two houses...MPG is not something everyone will take to liking immediately for it's bold releases...on the contrary, Villoresi is likely would appeal to most. Their styles are radically different, Yet, whats unique about Villoresi is that, well, It's unique!! it doesnt smell like any other scent out there and the quality and thought process behind is just top notch. I simply cant get enuff of it. MPG, Profumum, TDC, Creed, Villoresi, Ungaro, By Kilian, PDN, Serge Lutens amongst many others are really special for me now and have managed to keep my interest...

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    The quality is there in both houses. I only have Santal Noble so far from MPG, and it is an excellent sandalwood fragrance, but like I mentioned before it is much more "composed" than Sandalo. SN does dry down to an extremely gorgeous sandalwood fragrance, where Sandalo gets there very quickly on me and stays for hours. Both are excellent, but a bit different. Sandalo is one of my favorites by LV so far. I've sampled extensively but have yet to give a full wearing to anything from this house save Sandalo. I'll definitely share my thoughts when I do!

If I had to compare MPG to LV, then to me, LV has more of a unique take on composition that does MPG. Obviously, both houses use great ingredients and I find that for me, they tend to last on my skin. I love MPG Eau des Iles and Piper from LV. Now, not every scent from either house is to my liking, but of the most-loved scent for me from each house, Eau des Iles is more wearable in most occassions and Piper is more unique, more attention getting and more satisfying in that it makes me feel different, maybe superior (as in, I am wearing something that most in Memphis never heard from) and Eau Des Iles is more comforting

It's a great house with a pretty unique perspective, which is what I like. I will run out of Villoresi Uomo by the end of this year, and will buy again. I almost never do that.

This is a line I want to wear more but for some reason don't. Most Villoresis have a dense herbal lavenderish accord which I like to call the "caveman accord" and unlike the millesime base in some of the Creeds (which appears only during the drydown) is almost immediately perceptible the moment you spray a Villoresi on. I just retried my samples of Villoresi Patchouli and Vetiver ..yep there's that caveman accord with a fine quality patchouli and vetiver (respectively) oil in midst of this prehistoric wilderness.

L. Villoresi does use fine quality oils and although not a formally trained perfumer, his self gained knowledge of essential oils is vast. Olivier Creed, the late Annick Goutal and Lorenzo Villoresi (all proponents of "natural ingredients") used to gather at Villoresis' workshop (and at Creed) to discuss and perfume compositions leading to indepth exchange of use of naturals in perfumes.
    Last edited by zztopp; 24th October 2008 at 11:42 PM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    ...snip....

L. Villoresi does use fine quality oils and although not a formally trained perfumer, his self gained knowledge of essential oils is vast. Olivier Creed, the late Annick Goutal and Lorenzo Villoresi (all proponents of "natural ingredients") used to gather at Villoresis' workshop (and at Creed) to discuss and perfume compositions leading to indepth exchange of use of naturals in perfumes.
    zz - fascinating. What is your source for this?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

zz : Now that's some valuable info!

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    zz - fascinating. What is your source for this?
    It was an article on LV at Osmoz.com (I can't find it right now - has it been taken offline?) which I later verified from other sources.

EDIT: It was an article at Basenotes ( http://www.basenotes.net/articles/lorenzo.html ) , which I later verified from other sources.

On a side note, LV is a fan of woods, spices and galbanum, which may explain the woody herbal green accord I get in so many of his fragrances. Many of his fragrances start off in a chaotic mess before settling in; this disjointed perfume construction style may be a reason why Luca Turin calls him a perfume amateur/hack
    Last edited by zztopp; 25th October 2008 at 04:36 AM.
    -

For me Incensi is one of the greatest scents I know. Deep, evokes fantasy, long lasting. I don't own it, because I find it too serious to wear it. But from my sample I put it at home on my palm from time to time and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    For me Incensi is one of the greatest scents I know. Deep, evokes fantasy, long lasting. I don't own it, because I find it too serious to wear it. But from my sample I put it at home on my palm from time to time and enjoy it.
    I like incensi, but not enough to get a bottle. So far my two favorite incense scents are Avignon by Comme des Garçons, and Vanille Tonka by Parfums de Nicolai (to me that one comes up as the most gorgeous frankincense in the entire world).