Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What have been your biggest fragrance exploration surprises? Notes? Perfumes?

For me, it's how things change so often. I'm trying to figure out what's going on, but I think the human sense of smell may have just such "variance" built into it for a reason. Though I can distinguish much more than a year ago, that doesn't seem to relate to what I find pleasant or satisfying, which is what changes so much.

Default Re: What have been your biggest fragrance exploration surprises? Notes? Perfumes?

Pleasant surprises for me have included:

1) Appreciation of the older Guerlains, formerly written off for being too Mrs Thatcher-y and fuddy duddy. Now, it's complete and utter respect all the way.
    2) The joys of wearing gentlemen's scents
    3) Becoming bolder and more multifarious in my tastes

Disappointments have included:

1) Not liking the mighty Bal a Versailles, in spite of its superlative reviews
    2) Natural perfumery in general, with the exception of a few Andy Tauers

Chestnut mentioned wondering if people even notice the scents she wears. I wonder the same thing. Back in the day (gosh I sound old) I almost always got comments on what I wore (usually along the lines of "You smell good," but not always). Lately, I think I would have to molest someone in order to get them to notice my scent. Is it due to air pollution? Have we become so inured to our noses being assaulted by unpleasant scents that we consciously or unconsciously block out the pleasant ones as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    Chestnut mentioned wondering if people even notice the scents she wears. I wonder the same thing. Back in the day (gosh I sound old) I almost always got comments on what I wore (usually along the lines of "You smell good," but not always). Lately, I think I would have to molest someone in order to get them to notice my scent. Is it due to air pollution? Have we become so inured to our noses being assaulted by unpleasant scents that we consciously or unconsciously block out the pleasant ones as well?
    Do you think its because its no longer acceptable to comment on how someone smells? If its positive, it can be construed as a come-on or insincere flattery? Lately, when I get compliments, they fall into one of about three categories: close friends, who want to say something complementary. These are the same people who often comment on a new haircut, jewelry or blouse; coworkers currying favor: I have a coworker who lays it on pretty thick in the compliment department, and he frequently comments on my fragrance; my significant other: he rarely compliments my fragrance (he's got a rather poor sense of smell) but will say something if a new scent catches his nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    Do you think its because its no longer acceptable to comment on how someone smells? If its positive, it can be construed as a come-on or insincere flattery? Lately, when I get compliments, they fall into one of about three categories: close friends, who want to say something complementary. These are the same people who often comment on a new haircut, jewelry or blouse; coworkers currying favor: I have a coworker who lays it on pretty thick in the compliment department, and he frequently comments on my fragrance; my significant other: he rarely compliments my fragrance (he's got a rather poor sense of smell) but will say something if a new scent catches his nose.
    Yes, that could easily be the reason, or at least another reason, for this particular phenomenon (or is it phenomena? so tired right now!). Certainly we have witnessed a trend toward redefining what is socially acceptable and not acceptable. Maybe people really think another person's scent is too personal a matter to comment on.

Blog Entries

Finding Florals was the biggest surprise. I've always loved Orientals most, and when I got more serious about scents I learned to love many Chypres, too. But Florals were the most difficult olfactory group for me. I guess finding roses and vetiver (notes I used to dislike) sort of paved the way for them. Also the magic touch of Annick Goutal played its part. It's still the group I like least, but at least I enjoy wearing some Florals, it was a big step for me!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."