Code of Conduct

Thread: Rose Petal Jam

Default Rose Petal Jam

This is a real treat for fragrance lovers - anyone every try Rose Petal jam? It's just like any kind of fruit jam, but the fruit is roses. It's especially wonderful if you cook up some porridge (oat bran, oatmeal, cream of wheat etc) and put a big spoonful in there.

It tastes like exactly like the scent Black Aoud leaves on your clothes the next day. It has a very three dimensional quality to it, you can really smell the flower in all it's aspects unlike many jams which are intensely sweet.

It sounds like an expensive gourmet luxury, but here anyways they have it for $4 for 500ml.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 28th December 2008 at 03:17 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Default Re: Rose Petal Jam

I love this stuff, but it's really hard to find where I live. I have to order it online when I want it. The best brand I've tried is a Greek one. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/K-Kloni-Rose-P...481374&sr=1-11

How funny that rose jam should come up on basenotes. I wonder how many other odd little things some of us have in common.

Never had rose petal jam, sounds good. I've eaten rose petals and squash blossoms in salads, and had lavender ice cream a couple times. With the ice cream it was, as you say, as much a smell as a taste. Very subtle but then lingering pleasantly so that you have sit and think about it for a couple seconds before you feel that you've tasted it. Doesn't this topic make you a little achy for spring?

I've never had this, but I'd love to! Rose is one of my favorite flavors - I've had it in criystalized petals, syrups, and chocolate truffles, some of which I've made myself. Rose syrup used to sweeten lemonade is a very tasty concoction.

Mmm, I've had lemonade like that!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Basenotes Institution

The jam sounds terrific. When I read the title, I thought rose petal jam was a reference to a note in a fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The jam sounds terrific. When I read the title, I thought rose petal jam was a reference to a note in a fragrance.
    So did I.
    Actually here in italy we use rose fruits to let them infuse with grappa (distilled from grapes) and tastes as a fruity yet dry rose note. We also have rosolio that smells a bit like attar hehe

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

In West Hartford CT you can find rose petal jam as well as rose flavored syrup and Turkish Delight at an international foods store on the corner of Prospect Street and Farmington Avenue, Tangiers International. I don't know if they ship but I believe it is a family owned business and they are friendly... one could ask... or just check out stores that sell Middle Eastern foods in your own area.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tangiers-int...-west-hartford

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    In West Hartford CT you can find rose petal jam as well as rose flavored syrup and Turkish Delight at an international foods store on the corner of Prospect Street and Farmington Avenue, Tangiers International. I don't know if they ship but I believe it is a family owned business and they are friendly... one could ask... or just check out stores that sell Middle Eastern foods in your own area.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tangiers-int...-west-hartford
    Yes I agree, Middle Eastern stores they all carry this jam. Also look for Orange blossom jam that is also very delicious

Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

Quote Originally Posted by farno View Post
    Yes I agree, Middle Eastern stores they all carry this jam. Also look for Orange blossom jam that is also very delicious
    despite not being a major fruit-jam fan, flower-based jams like these i adore - i use both rose water and orange flower water when making turkish delight too.

i also recently came accross a rose tea by made by a company called Brewhaha. the box suggests that the rose taste is from a 'natural flavour' rather than pieces of petal, but who cares - it's delicious. i recommend it to anyone in the UK, i think i bought it at Sainsbury's.

today's mission: a rosewater-based salad dressing! (i'm gonna be making rose-flavoured nachos by the end of the week, i can tell.....)