Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default The Mysterious Missing Winter Star...

Tyler X just sent me this short email:

Hi!

I saw on basenotes a few weeks back you made a new batch of Winter Star. I was inquiring if it is available yet (or soon) and if I could order a bottle?

Regards,

Tyler

.................................................. ...............

Regrettably, this is how I had to respond:

Dear Tyler,

It's with intense chagrin that I spoke on Base Notes too soon about Winter Star's return. Namely, before I started to go look for its formula...

I have a serious problem in that I cannot find it absolutely ANYWHERE searching high and low throughout my house and my workshop. I swear I've turned EVERYTHING inside out! It is a true tragedy for me as a perfume maker because so many people have asked about and waited for this fragrance to come back. It's an utter mystery to me as (I think) I keep meticulous records of all the formulas I design. I have stacks of them dating back for years. I always do my original designing in pencil on index cards, then move my favorites to Excel spreadsheets so that I can easily plug in a couple of variables and change the batch quantity from my original test sample size to any new amount. I know I had to have done this with Winter Star in order to batch it up last year. In spite of this, I can find no trace of such a file on my computer.. even under alternate names I had thought up. The original index card is strangely missing as well. Any record of it at all has simply vanished in thin air. I have been putting off announcing this for several weeks in hopes that it would show up somehow, but I guess I have to admit defeat now.

All I have left of Winter Star is one tiny tester vial. I sold every last drop. I have considered trying to recreate it "by nose", but from past experiences I know that the result would somehow just not be the same and I'd just as soon let Winter Star remain as it was. Besides, I can't fool you people and don't have the heart to try. It is at once both highly embarrassing for me that I could have been so careless and at the same time an unpleasant financial setback as there are a number of people like yourself who have been eagerly asking and waiting to wear it again.

It seems like I've been beset with a whole little series of oddball setbacks lately. It almost makes me believe in astrology. All of us fragrance lovers know that perfumes hold deep mysteries. Well, this is truly one of those. Should it somehow pop back up on its own accord as deftly as it vanished, you'll be the first to know. In the meantime, all I can say is that I'm very sorry.

.................................................. ........

I'm wondering if I dare bother to concoct a new and different holiday fragrance... Does anyone fancy peach and/or mirabelle, perhaps? Something else gourmand?

All my best,

Michael Storer
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

Default Re: The Mysterious Missing Winter Star...

Wow. I'm really sorry to hear this - I'm down to the last few drops of my tester vial and was thinking of seeing if I could order a bottle for the cool season.

I'm not one for gourmands, but if the Winter Star formula ever turns up, let us know.

Blog Entries

Something just occurred to me. My old computer died right after Christmas and I had to buy a new one. I suppose it's possible that Winter Star's formula never made it to my new Mac. I still have the old one. If I can find a techie who can dig around in there...

Michael Storer
    www.michaelstorer.com

Wow, that must be horrible. Maybe it will turn up. I know many of us would have liked to try this.

Definitely get a techie to look at the old computer!
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

I'm just praying that you find it. I'm so sorry to hear this. I see that I'm not the only one who wrote you about Winter Star. Good luck Michael!!
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Michael, do what I do. Email yourself a zipped and password protected copy of any formulas you make and enjoy. This way, even in the event of a fire or other catastrophic loss, you'll still have them.

Sorry to hear about the loss. I can only imagine how devastating that must be.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 24th October 2008 at 01:13 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Also, perhaps you could send out a tiny portion of what you have left to get GC'ed, and then use those results to help reconstruct it as closely as possible.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Michael,

PM me If you need a larger sample to work with.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Anxiously awaiting the results of the techie search.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Oh Good Lord!

Michael, if all else fails, I would try a session or two with a highly competent and ethical hypnotist to see if the memory of the formula or where you placed the paper it is written on can be teased from your unconscious. They are both imprinted in there somewhere.

Good luck in finding a hard or eCopy of it though.
    Last edited by kbe; 24th October 2008 at 12:33 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Blog Entries

I have good, good news! It turned out that Winter Star WAS INDEED on my old hard drive and I have RETRIEVED IT with the help of a computer-wise friend.

I shall begin compounding immediately. OH HAPPY DAY! You guys don't know how good this makes me feel as I thought I must be losing my mind and it was such a successful fragrance. I'll report when I have it ready for those of you who are interested.

I want to thank all of you who cared enough to write and offer ideas and support!

Your friend in perfumery...

Michael
    www.michaelstorer.com

Great news Michael. So, do we all get a free sample now?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

HURRAH!!! Michael, I was preparing to offer the bottle I bought from you last year for deconstruction... SO pleased to hear the formula's been recovered.

For anyone who's uninitiated, "Winter Star" is one of those rare seasonal creations that successfully blurs the lines between and among gourmand/spice/indescribable. Remarkable and delicious.

Enjoy, especially all of you who have a first sniff to look forward to!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Micheal, although I've never smelled it until now, I'm quite anxious and eager to do so if you ever decide to send out free samples

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Great news! Hope I can get a bottle this time around.

I am subscribing to this so I can be updated. I never got to try this, never heard of it until this past couple of months. I have Piper Nigrum that I love in Winter, and I am primarily year-round based (Fumerie Turque, LDDM by Tauer, Red Vetyver - maybe not RV in deep winter), so this one sounds great. I see there is not a listing in the fragrance directory. Any reviews that one can link me to? How much was this the last time around for how big of a bottle?