Code of Conduct

Thread: Four Leathers

Default Four Leathers

I have four leather frags on right now - two I own, and the other two I'm considering. Here are my thoughts:

L'Artisan Dzing!: I own this one and love it. I smell more interesting things every time I wear it. Cuddly animalistic leather, but the other day I thought I detected fennel (of all things) lurking in it somewhere. I also can see what those who say it smells like cardboard mean, although I would not have thought of that without provocation. I'll have this in my wardrobe forever.

Creed Royal English Leather: You've got to hand it to this one for going back to the 18th century. I own it and respect it, but damn those top notes are really bug-sprayish. After a few hours though, it is really nice, and without it we might not even have these other scents, which clearly owe it a debt of gratitude.

Parfum d' Empire Cuir Ottoman: This is one I'm sampling and seriously considering. It's midway between Dzing! and Creed's REL. It has the jasmine the Creed has, and some of the animal scent of Dzing! but it also has some incense that adds a warm softness. My question though, is do I need it when I already own Dzing! and REL? This is really the question I would like a response to.

Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia: Well, all artists should be judged by what they are attempting to do and this one really does smell like a car and, like REL, it is very nice after a few hours, but do I really need the humorously accurate Goodyear tire store opening notes which smell like gasoline and new tires?
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 24th October 2008 at 10:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Four Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I have four leather frags on right now - two I own, and the other two I'm considering. Here are my thoughts:

L'Artisan Dzing!: I own this one and love it. I smell more interesting things every time I wear it. Cuddly animalistic leather, but the other day I thought I detected fennel (of all things) lurking in it somewhere. I also can see what those who say it smells like cardboard mean, although I would not have thought of that without provocation. I'll have this in my wardrobe forever.

Creed Royal English Leather: You've got to hand it to this one for going back to the 18th century. I own it and respect it, but damn those top notes are really bug-sprayish. After a few hours though, it is really nice, and without it we might not even have these other scents, which clearly owe it a debt of gratitude.

Parfum d' Empire Cuir de Ottoman: This is one I'm sampling and seriously considering. It's midway between Dzing! and Creed's REL. It has the jasmine the Creed has, and some of the animal scent of Dzing! but it also has some incense that adds a warm softness. My question though, is do I need it when I already own Dzing! and REL? This is really the question I would like a response to.

Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia: Well, all artists should be judged by what they are attempting to do and this one really does smell like a car and, like REL, it is very nice after a few hours, but do I really need the humorously accurate Goodyear tire store opening notes which smell like gasoline and new tires?
    well, i feel that Cuir Ottoman and Nostalgia are just absolute SUPERSTARS.

Nostalgia is easily one of the most unique, interesting, creative, and outright magnificent scents i've ever known. As someone very much into cars----it never fails to make me smile. The hints of vintage leather, slight leakage of oil, and luxurious history is one that i've never experienced anywhere else. This scent was created with alot of imagination....for them to capture such a specific place...such a specific feeling----is truly commendable. The opening is GRAND...i love it. The dry down is even better.

Cuir Ottoman is a pretty pure leather scent IMO.....it has some petroleum in it as well, IMO...and it's got sort of a scent that a leather stain would have. it's a little bit chemical and synthetic---but to good effect i think. Very elegant though, and very wearable. I need to get a bottle of this stuff.

I'm not really a fan of Dzing....i don't think it's a good leather scent. It's more like animal skin or fur....kinda nasty.

i've only tried REL once, and wasn't too impressed. there are much better leather scents than this one...

EDIT: oops, i didn't realise til now that the 2 scents i do NOT like are the 2 that you own!! LOL. sorry....just an opinon i guess
    Last edited by everso; 24th October 2008 at 03:02 AM.

For me, Nostalgia smells more like glue and varnish than leather. You should give Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange a try.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 24th October 2008 at 04:37 AM.

Keep in mind I can't stand REL - it goes all soap on me. I'm a big fan of the other three though.

For me, it would be Cuir Ottoman hands down.

Nostalgia and Cuir Ottoman are both great fragrances. Why I'd choose it is based on a number of reasons.

Sillage and longevity are far better in Cuir Ottoman.

Wearability. Nostalgia is interesting and exotic, but the same olfactory portrait it can be proud of - Eau de Old Car - makes it less versatile in social situations. Metaphorically speaking... Cuir Ottoman is a leather jacket; Nostalgia is leather hot pants. The latter will make people go "What's that about," but being a talking point isn't always the object in wearing a fragrance.

Fatigue. This is personal, but for some reason, while I find it interesting, I find my nose tires of the boldly artificial notes in Nostalgia after an hour.

Obviously, YMMV.

I also own REL and DZing!, but I don't ever think you can have enough leather scents. REL is a nice 'proper' leather - I find it to be a little smoky and lasts a while, but overall it isn't particularly compelling. I find REL to be better than it's flacon-only brother, Cuir de Russie, which isn't nearly as smoky and didn't last as long. Dzing! isn't just leather...it's well... it's Dzing!

I'd love to own Cuir Ottoman, it's a very clean leather fragrance, but as someone mentioned, it doesn't last very long. I frequently promote Parfumerie Generale's Cuir d'Iris. It's my favorite leather scent - it's very dark and rich without being overpowering, and it lasts forever. Never tried Nostalgia, but it's on my 'to get a sample' list. I recently tried Heely's Fine Leather, and it reminded me a lot of the Cuir Ottoman... clean, 'new car leather' smell, but not much else. If you want daring, check out Montale's Oud Cuir d'Arabie. For fruit/leather PG's Cuir Venenum is brilliant. You could always spend a few extra buck on eBay and get yourself Helmut Lang Cuiron.

Allow me to restate - you can never have too many leather fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I frequently promote Parfumerie Generale's Cuir d'Iris. It's my favorite leather scent - it's very dark and rich without being overpowering, and it lasts forever. Never tried Nostalgia, but it's on my 'to get a sample' list.
    If you find Cuir Ottoman short lasting, you'll find Nostalgia a mere ghost. I second Cuir d'Iris. Here were my thoughts on how these two compared last year, when I first tried the two.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Allow me to restate - you can never have too many leather fragrances.
    Indeed.

Someone is selling Cuir Ottoman in the BS thread.
    I like Cuir Ottoman, very wearable. More like suede leather, smooth and soft.

Basenotes Institution

Nosalgia is wonderful, but not very easy to wear. If you're asking us for advice, seems like it's perhaps not the right scent for you. Lovers of this scent (me included) need no prompting as to whether we should own a bottle. I knew after smelling it just once, that I had to have it.

Never smelled Cuir Ottoman...it sure gets a lot of love here, though.

For whatever it's worth, every lover of leather owes it to themselves to try Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I loved the topnotes for Nostalgia, but once they fade, it gets a bit dull I find.

Seeing this is a leather thread I should mention to all that I have been using my new purchase, Knize Ten. I have been thinking about what makes a great fragrence. One of the criteria I believe is "instant recognizability". There are not many out there for me that I can instantly recognize. Two are Guerlain's Habit Rouge and Knize Ten. Once sniffed, somehow triggers a spot in the brain (mine) that can recall these two instantly. I started using Knize Ten in the 1980's and thought I had learned the paramont lesson as to its usage. One REPEAT one spray only (well, maybe two). I used two a couple of days ago, and today, put on a light flannel shirt-coat worn that day and what do you know, Knize Ten. Used prpoerly this is a masterpiece of a leather scent. Used improperly, well serious trouble. I appologize in advance if this comment does not fit the criteria of the thread.

ps the 3.5 oz refillable empty spray bottle supplied with the 36oz bottle of toilet water is a masterwork in glass.
    Last edited by richard d; 24th October 2008 at 11:56 PM.