Code of Conduct

Default Encre Noir in Australia

Hey, people. New to fragrances. I tend to wear Platinum Egoiste, CK One and Opium.

Anyway, I'm quite taken with Lalique's Encre Noir - purely from reading reviews and scent profiles, and of course the packaging. I'm prepared to buy blind but haven't found it on any e-store, let alone department stores. Should I just ask D stores if they can order in a bottle or what?
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; 24th October 2008 at 11:05 AM.

Default Re: Encre Noir in Australia

Welcome to basenotes!

I dont know if stores like DJs or Myer will be able to order in a scent that they do not already have on their books.
    Your best bet is checking some reputable online resources such as strawberrynet.com that ship to Australia. Theres also a very comprehensive list of online retailers in the City Shopping Guides forum, and many of them offer scents at greatly discounted prices.
    Im sure other members will also be able to advise you of other places you may be able to try.

Here's a few links just to get you started:
    http://www.thebeautyclub.com.au/disc...e/Encre-Noire/
    http://www.aedes.com/product.php?product_id=2091
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 24th October 2008 at 11:31 AM.

Ta for that, mate.

No worries fella.

One more Australian online retailer link:
    http://www.artofman.com.au/store.php?idstring=37,13

Advice from an Ancient Fragrance Mariner: consider not buying this stuff blind. Instead order a number of samples that have in common whatever it is that draws you to Encre Noir. It's good stuff but it's got a harsh scorched earth note that you might hate. Sample, sample, sample (keep saying it to yourself, while I finish this post.) It's great for your fragrance education and it'll save you money in the long haul.
    On the other hand, I've made several blind purchases that have been great. But then there's the ones that explain this skinny hand, this glittering eye. Arrrrr.

Encre Noir is carried in Canada by Holt Renfrew, a high-end fashion store (men's and women's). E.g., Prada, Paul Smith, etc. I don't know what the equivalent is where you are, but check with that sort of store if you haven't already.
    I haunt that store on a regular basis.
    The sampling advice is very good. That being said, I love Encre Noir. And it comes in product as well (bath etc.).
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    On the other hand, I've made several blind purchases that have been great.
    Well that's just it - I've got a feeling about EN. And is this scorched-earth element something sour? Astringent?

If you're anywhere near Melbourne, you can go and test it or buy it at Paint'n'Powder in Royal Arcade, just off the Bouke St Mall.

The scents are full price in that shop, but they carry a lot classics and some new ones that you just don't see anywhere else.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 24th October 2008 at 01:58 PM.

I was just there two days ago! Thanks a tonne.
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; 24th October 2008 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hide & Reason View Post
    Well that's just it - I've got a feeling about EN. And is this scorched-earth element something sour? Astringent?
    In my memory the topnotes are bitter/scorched. Reminds me of a milder version of the annual kudzu fires near my childhood home in Tennessee. It's a note that several of the more aggressive vetivers share: Villoresi, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, to a lesser extent L'Artisan. The topnotes do settle down, though, and I love the whole ride. Just think it's not the kind of thing everyone will like. If you're looking for a scent will a bit of rawness, though, you might love it. Best of luck! And please report back when you've given it a shot.

Off-Scenter

Encre Noir is a great scent, but it's miles away from Platinum Egoiste, CK One, and Opium. I'll echo the advice you've gotten here already and urge you to test first. According to Renato, it sounds like you actually can get to it locally, and there are plenty of online sources!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 25th October 2008 at 05:00 AM.

Got down to PnP on the one day it was closed...

Nevertheless, I was at DJs checking out the stands, and I happened across Givenchy Gentleman. That opening has to be considered a form of physical assault, but Christ it fascinated me. Something the wishy-washy D&G/Gucci releases hadn't managed. I loved it so much I plonked down $77 for the 50ml EDT. Soon after I realised just how much I got shafted - I'm convinced that Australian retail is one giant criminal rort in general - but I don't care enough to return it.

Also, regarding PnP, I hear they're apparently uptight over samplings? Can I check EN out in-store, or will I have to take a leap of faith (I'm certainly willing)?
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; 10th November 2008 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hide & Reason View Post
    Got down to PnP on the one day it was closed...

Nevertheless, I was at DJs checking out the stands, and I happened across Givenchy Gentleman. That opening has to be considered a form of physical assault, but Christ it fascinated me. Something the wishy-washy D&G/Gucci releases hadn't managed. I loved it so much I plonked down $77 for the 50ml EDT. Soon after I realised just how much I got shafted - I'm convinced that Australian retail is one giant criminal rort in general - but I don't care enough to return it.

Also, regarding PnP, I hear they're apparently uptight over samplings? Can I check EN out in-store, or will I have to take a leap of faith (I'm certainly willing)?
    You NEVER buy any designer scent from David Jones without first walking around the corner to Elisabeth St going towards Flinders St, and checking whether the item is either on sale, or being sold as a tester at Perfume Connection or the two My Chemist stores (but both these stores often don't carry the full range their bigger suburban stores carry). Also check out the big fragrance selection at Priceline a couple of doors down from DJs, going towards Swanston St - although that store more often seems to carry more women's fragrance specials than men's relative to their suburban stores.

Paint n Powder are okay with sample sprays - it's just that you can't help yourself to them, and sometimes they may not have a tester. Just say you'd like some sprayed on your arms to test out. I've never had a problem with them. That's a shame that they were closed, as they really carry some interesting scents - especially if scents like Givenchy Gentleman are your thing.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 11th November 2008 at 05:21 PM.

Just in support of PnP. I'm in Adelaide, and am usually in Melbourne 2-3 times a year. PnP have never scrimped or shirked on testing when I've visited; and you're bound to find something you love that you've never heard of, particularly as you're starting out. The older lady who works there is a very reliable guide to fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Just in support of PnP. I'm in Adelaide, and am usually in Melbourne 2-3 times a year. PnP have never scrimped or shirked on testing when I've visited; and you're bound to find something you love that you've never heard of, particularly as you're starting out. The older lady who works there is a very reliable guide to fragrance.
    Equally as good is PnP on High in High St, Armidale. They used to be owned by the same owner, but the latter was sold to someone else, who generally maintains the range of uncommon scents, together with a few Creeds not stocked by Harrolds in Melbourne. I don't know if he has Encre Noir though.
    Renato

The Good: It's bloody brilliant! Earthy-rocky-smoky-vegetal-inky wonder.

The Bad: Four hours and it's all but lost its sillage. Seven hours and I can only just catch the last legs with my nose pressed against my inner wrist. C for longevity.
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; 17th November 2008 at 10:00 AM.