Code of Conduct

Default Creed Original Vetiver vs. Mugler Cologne

Before a business meeting yesterday I stopped by the Neiman Marcus inTopanga and tested the Creed line. They had no samples to give because they claimed the setup was still new and they were waiting on merchandise to come in.

Their selection was not very big considering the circumstances, but they had almost the complete line of Creed to showcase. No Bois du Portugal though, but they did have Millésime Impérial and Original Vetiver. My first impression of the Vetiver was "Mugler Cologne" but a bit more intense citrus, and longevity was I'd say about 8 hours for me.

I really liked it, but not the price tag, $210. I told the SA that I could get it online for less, of course I was thinking Mugler was a even less expensive about $58 for a 3.4 oz. spray at Nordstrom. But then the SA gave me her direct number and extension and said, "Give me the price you find online and I will match it and have it shipped to you for free".

So Perfume.com has it for $126.99, now my question to everyone here is: Creed Original Vetiver or Mugler Cologne?

What would you choose and why?

Default Re: Creed Original Vetiver vs. Mugler Cologne

She will most likely tell you that unless you are quoting her a price from an authorized Creed retailer, that she is unable to match the price.

Then she will probably tell you about how most of what you'll get online is fake or old (and she's right, for the most part).

I'll tell you one thing - she's not going to match scentiments' price. If she does, then she's doing something fishy.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I had Mugler Cologne and sold it(It lasted an hour on me). I have OV and I love it. It last a long time on me. So for me the difference maker was longevity. And OV has a better drydown IMO.

Your probably right, I'm waiting for her to come in today and see if she follows through. Otherwise, if I do go with the Creed Vetiver then Sentiments or Fragrance.net are my two choices.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    I had Mugler Cologne and sold it(It lasted an hour on me). I have OV and I love it. It last a long time on me. So for me the difference maker was longevity. And OV has a better drydown IMO.
    Actually, I've had the same experience, short life span for the Mugler Cologne, but you can't beat the price.

I love TM Cologne, and it lasts all day for me, 12 hours easily. It has a fresh, lively and yet mellow green/musk smell.
    I don't really see the similarity to the Creed, but I admit I don't know that one very well. I have only sampled it a few times. Whereas I own TM Cologne and use it regularly. I'll have to try the Creed again with this issue in mind.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I love TM Cologne, and it lasts all day for me, 12 hours easily. It has a fresh, lively and yet mellow green/musk smell.
    I don't really see the similarity to the Creed, but I admit I don't know that one very well. I have only sampled it a few times. Whereas I own TM Cologne and use it regularly. I'll have to try the Creed again with this issue in mind.
    I agree TMC is very nice, a bit softer in scent than the COV, but the longevity for me anyway is not very long, about 4-6 hours max. And even at that point I can't smell it anymore.

I tried Creed Vetiver sample other day I was given when I purchased Himalaya, and I did not like it at all, I felt like I was smelling soap on me all day, very strong soap. Is that how all Vetivers are?

Is Mugler Cologne similar? Maybe I will give it another shot but I had to wash it off after a few hours

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    I tried Creed Vetiver sample other day I was given when I purchased Himalaya, and I did not like it at all, I felt like I was smelling soap on me all day, very strong soap. Is that how all Vetivers are?

Is Mugler Cologne similar? Maybe I will give it another shot but I had to wash it off after a few hours
    On me it was not soapy at all, very citrusy and clean, Mugler similar but a tad weaker.

OV isn't soapy for me either. Longevity is a concern. OV really only lasts about 3 hours on me. I love it while it last though.

Well, I just got off the phone with Neiman Marcus' SA and suddenly her tune had changed. Not price matching but rather match Neiman Marcus' pricing and they ship for free.

It sounded too good to be true, however on the bright side, FragranceNet has COV for $118.98

OV lasts forever on me. Mugler not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by RubenC View Post
    On me it was not soapy at all, very citrusy and clean, Mugler similar but a tad weaker.

Hmm maybe i will try it again in another week or two, i like it on the card
    Last edited by denec; 24th October 2008 at 09:02 PM.

Before a business meeting yesterday I stopped by the Neiman Marcus inTopanga and tested the Creed line. They had no samples to give because they claimed the setup was still new and they were waiting on merchandise to come in.

Their selection was not very big considering the circumstances, but they had almost the complete line of Creed to showcase. No Bois du Portugal though, but they did have Millésime Impérial and Original Vetiver. My first impression of the Vetiver was "Mugler Cologne" but a bit more intense citrus, and longevity was I'd say about 8 hours for me.

.What would you choose and why?
    I live 5 minutes from there!

I own both. They are only superficially similar but OV is the better of the 2. It lasts longer on me, although neither is a longevity champ. And the dry down is more complex and warm.

By the way, you could drive down to the Fashion District in LA and buy a 4.3 OV for less than $100 (I got mine about 6 months ago for $90) or Muglar Cologne for about $40.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 24th October 2008 at 09:06 PM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

YATOVVSTMCT??! (translation: "Yet ANOTHER OV vs. TMC thread??!")

Perhaps Nieman Marcus has fallen on hard times and is taking a page from desperate car dealership promos ( "We will beat ANY price!!").

My standard reply to OV vs. TMC threads is to buy both. Then you'll be assured you won't have buyer's remorse, and you'll have two very wearable fragrances and plenty of time to make up your mind as to which is better. For my part, I give a slight edge to OV because 1) it's longer lasting, 2) it has a better drydown, and 3) it smells more luxurious, as opposed to just clean. Neither is my favorite vetiver, though - Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 24th October 2008 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    YATOVVSTMCT??! (translation: "Yet ANOTHER OV vs. TMC thread??!")

Perhaps Nieman Marcus has fallen on hard times and is taking a page from desparate car dealership promos ( "We will beat ANY price!!").

My standard reply to OV vs. TMC threads is to buy both. Then you'll be assured you won't have buyer's remorse, and you'll have two very wearable fragrances and plenty of time to make up your mind as to which is better. For my part, I give a slight edge to OV because 1) it's longer lasting, 2) it has a better drydown, and 3) it smells more luxurious, as opposed to just clean. Neither is my favorite vetiver, though - Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    Vetiver Extraordinaire is on my list too. Guerlain is still my favorite vetiver BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    By the way, you could drive down to the Fashion District in LA and buy a 4.3 OV for less than $100 (I got mine about 6 months ago for $90) or Muglar Cologne for about $40.
    That would be great! Do you have the name or street location?

I live 5 minutes from there!

I own both. They are only superficially similar but OV is the better of the 2. It lasts longer on me, although neither is a longevity champ. And the dry down is more complex and warm.

I am not aware of a 4.3 oz. Creed.

That would be great! Do you have the name or street location?
    There's plenty of shops down there!

The area to go to is between Olympic on the north and Pico on the south, Los Angeles St. to the west and Maple St. to the east. There's about 5 shops on Maple, another 5 in the "infamous" Santee Alley, 3 or more on Santee St. and at least another 10 scattered around. These numbers are probably on the conservative side. The shops vary in size, but most are pretty large. Saturday is the best day to go, but expect a crowd. Sunday is less crowded, but not all shops are open. Many shops close early, like 3:00.

Not all of them carry Creed, but the majority do. There's one particular shop in Santee Alley between 11th and Olympic on the west side that always has a good selection of 4 oz Creed testers. You won't find much other niche down there, although I've seen quite a bit of Annick Goutal and some CdG.

Along with most new designer fragrances (except the very newest releases), you will find quite a good supply of discontinued fragrances and most of the older classics from designers. I've seen classic Gurelains, Carons, Hermes, Rochas and more.

Prices are about the same as internet or lower, there's plenty of new testers and some shops sell partially filled bottles. In fact, my current bottle of Muglar Cologne was a 75% filled 4 oz tester for $12!!! Go down there with plenty of $$

There's $3 parking at the corner of Pico and Main, but there's plenty of other parking.

I've been there quite a bit as you can tell, but I haven't been there in about 4-5 months. But I can't believe anything has drastically changed.

Just go down and start walking. Zig-zag up and down Los Angeles, Santee St., Santee Alley, Maple. Here's a map - www.fashiondistrict.org/page.aspx?id=126

Have fun! I'm sure going down there will become a habit.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 25th October 2008 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    I am not aware of a 4.3 oz. Creed.
    Sorry. I meant 4 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    She will most likely tell you that unless you are quoting her a price from an authorized Creed retailer, that she is unable to match the price.

Then she will probably tell you about how most of what you'll get online is fake or old (and she's right, for the most part).
    Your probably right, I'm waiting for her to come in today and see if she follows through. Otherwise, if I do go with the Creed Vetiver then Sentiments or Fragrance.net are my two choices.
    You know, from reading a lot of the feedback on this forum, it seems that the cheaper Creeds found at scentiments are genuine and usually not old. Doesn't seem like a bad idea

There's plenty of shops down there!

The area to go to is between Olympic on the north and Pico on the south, Los Angeles St. to the west and Maple St. to the east. There's about 5 shops on Maple, another 5 in the "infamous" Santee Alley, 3 or more on Santee St. and at least another 10 scattered around. These numbers are probably on the conservative side. The shops vary in size, but most are pretty large. Saturday is the best day to go, but expect a crowd. Sunday is less crowded, but not all shops are open. Many shops close early, like 3:00.

Not all of them carry Creed, but the majority do. There's one particular shop in Santee Alley between 11th and Olympic on the west side that always has a good selection of 4 oz Creed testers. You won't find much other niche down there, although I've seen quite a bit of Annick Goutal and some CdG.

Along with most new designer fragrances (except the very newest releases), you will find quite a good supply of discontinued fragrances and most of the older classics from designers. I've seen classic Gurelains, Carons, Hermes, Rochas and more.

Prices are about the same as internet or lower, there's plenty of new testers and some shops sell partially filled bottles. In fact, my current bottle of Muglar Cologne was a 75% filled 4 oz tester for $12!!! Go down there with plenty of $$

There's $3 parking at the corner of Pico and Main, but there's plenty of other parking.

I've been there quite a bit as you can tell, but I haven't been there in about 4-5 months. But I can't believe anything has drastically changed.

Just go down and start walking. Zig-zag up and down Los Angeles, Santee St., Santee Alley, Maple. Here's a map - www.fashiondistrict.org/page.aspx?id=126

Have fun! I'm sure going down there will become a habit.
    Simon WOW!

This is incredible, right near home!!

Great information! I am definitely going today (Saturday) or tomorrow, will keep you posted.

Thanks again!!

Creed ALL THE WAY!
    First time trying Mugler Cologne, I thought it was going to be good and a probable next purchase but longevity wasn't too good and there are others that I can most likely get that are even better.

The breakdown in my opinion (as owner of both):

Mugler Cologne: Sexier, but more synthetic, more youthful

Creed OV: More soapy, less musky, more natural, more mature

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 25th October 2008 at 09:37 PM.
    Sales thread here

Mugler Cologne is good before sleep or after late shower cuz it last 2h max
    so I would go for Creed
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    You know, from reading a lot of the feedback on this forum, it seems that the cheaper Creeds found at scentiments are genuine and usually not old. Doesn't seem like a bad idea
    I would give them 2 thumbs up. I ordered my MI from them and it was pretty damn perfect.

-Akshay

Quote Originally Posted by akshay03 View Post
    I would give them 2 thumbs up. I ordered my MI from them and it was pretty damn perfect.

-Akshay
    Sentiments is on my list if I don't find a deal in the L.A. fashion district.

Made a very quick visit to the Fashion District in L.A. this weekend, due to some unexpected guests who showed up, I had virtually a half hour to zip through the area.

Unfortunately had no luck in getting a deal on the Creed OV, they were not budging on price. I hit about a dozen perfume shops, and only about 1/3 had the Creed OV.
    Nobody wanted to go below $140 for a 4oz. bottle, and Fragrance.Net has it for less. Tried to find other gems like Guerlain Heritage, YSL M7, and Derby, no luck.

Oh well, gave it a try.

I'm in concert with everyone here. OV tends to last longer on me, but not by much. Their openings, at least to my nose, are indistinguishable. Mugler, however, tends to go out shorter and "saltier." Though, you cannot beat the price. It depends on if you really love the scent.

Sigh. I really like the "soapiness" in Mugler and OV. But I'd never buy them. I wish Williams would come out with an aftershave that smells like this stuff because to me, that's what it should be IMHO.

But it seems like you've got a great deal going on with the Creed consultant at Neiman's. If she is true to her word and you love OV, I say go for it. I on the other hand would be more inclined to purchasing a Creed that is stronger, with a bit more silage, like Bois du Portugal or Epicea.

But de gustibus non est disputatem. Go with your nose.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    But it seems like you've got a great deal going on with the Creed consultant at Neiman's. If she is true to her word and you love OV, I say go for it. I on the other hand would be more inclined to purchasing a Creed that is stronger, with a bit more silage, like Bois du Portugal or Epicea.

But de gustibus non est disputatem. Go with your nose.
    As posted above, the deal at Neiman's was never materialized, just a smoke screen. And after a trip to a local fashion district it looks like the online merchants are the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by akshay03 View Post

-Akshay
    Excellent. Thank you. I've been debating whether or not to get Himalaya or Bois du Portugal from scentiments. It kinda bothers me that they rub out the date on the box and bottles. I wonder if anyone has tried asking them how recent the bottles are before buying.

Made a very quick visit to the Fashion District in L.A. this weekend, due to some unexpected guests who showed up, I had virtually a half hour to zip through the area.

Unfortunately had no luck in getting a deal on the Creed OV, they were not budging on price. I hit about a dozen perfume shops, and only about 1/3 had the Creed OV.
    Nobody wanted to go below $140 for a 4oz. bottle, and Fragrance.Net has it for less. Tried to find other gems like Guerlain Heritage, YSL M7, and Derby, no luck.

Oh well, gave it a try.
    I'm sorry you didn't find the great deals!

I've never seen any Creed for that much down there. Hell, I even saw some bottles of Vetiver (1948) for around $110.

A friend of mine just picked up a brand new bottle of GIT for $100 about 2 weeks ago, so I know the deals are still down there.

I hate to think the great deals are no more! Looks like I have to make a trip down there this weekend jsut to see what's up.