Code of Conduct

Default Light Soapy Perfume for Women?

I really like both Chanel no. 5 premiere, Prada Infusion d'iris and Dior J'adore and I would like a few more recommendations along the same genre as both of the ones above are rather expensive. I find the original Chanel no. 5 to be too heavy and mature for me, and it's the same for many of the other ones I've tried, especially the really widely recommended scents like Guerlain Shalimar and YSL Opium. Moreover, I really can't seem to figure out what anything is supposed to smell like from the notes listed online. Please help me. Thanks.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Light Soapy Perfume for Women?

Pure White Linen Light Breeze by Estee Lauder
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th October 2008 at 06:00 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Thierry Mugler Cologne is a great unisex scent, fresh and green. Many people find it has a pleasant soapy quality.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Prada Amber Pour Homme is pretty soapy, I wonder if there's a female equivalent?

dkny woman, pure white linen are both soapy to my nose, and reasonably priced.

Hi Moople - nice to meet you and welcome to Basenotes.
    I don't know why, but I find Ivoire de Balmain happily soapy and fresh.
    I just checked the directory here in case you could search for soap as a note, but unfortunately you can't. (It's always worth a try though, as it's a great database.)

I find Madame Rochas wonderfully soapy in the middle - but I suspect it might be too 'perfumey' for your question (worth a smell though, if you spot a tester, as are a lot of Rochas perfumes).

Actually, dynendal's suggestion of Prada Amber Homme reminds me that Prada's recent release Infusion d'Homme was designed to smell like soap, according to Chandler Burr. Here's a quote from his review:

"When Daniela Andrier was speaking with Fabio Zambernardi, Miuccia Prada’s right hand, about possible directions for the new Prada men’s fragrance they wanted to create, Zambernardi proposed a somewhat unusual idea. In 2007, Andrier had created a women’s scent for Prada called Infusion d’Iris; he told her that he had been fascinated by the Prada bath soap scented with the perfume. He proposed a masculine fragrance that smelled like this soap — or, to be more precise, like the skin of a man who had, say, found the soap in a woman’s bath and washed his body with it. Andrier thought about it and went to work."

You'll find the whole review, and lots more here:
    http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/author/nytburr/
    Last edited by Wordbird; 24th October 2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Remembered the Burr thing
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

For a light soapy scent for women, I personally like Carriere by Gendarme.

It has ~20% of oil content too so that's always a plus.

Moople, can you define the soapy note ? What kind of soap ?

Have you tried Chanel N°5 in EDT or EDP ? What do you like in it, which notes and when do they appear ?
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Guerlain "Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica" has a big soapy note, but this is not an advantage to my nose.

Estee Lauder's "Pleasures" is not soapy but makes you smell clean as though you had just showered with a floral soap.

I would suggest EL Pleasures.

Yes, the Prada men's is a good one. I did a swap with a woman who was also looking for a "soapy" frag a couple of months ago, and she was very happy with the "men's" Prada.

Bvlgari - Blv

Wow, a lot of Romanians around here!
    A light perfume is Chance by Chanel, I recommend it.
    Last edited by Lady M.; 5th November 2008 at 08:08 PM.

I always thought Dolce e Gabbana for women was soapy. Loved the sensual freshness of it when I used it all the time in my partying days.

Arpege, Givenchy Le De

Bvlgari Blv is soapy (dont mind the ginger opening, it passes)
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.

I second EL's Pleasure.

May I also suggest EA's 5th Ave or 5th Ave After Five?!

I've also always thought White Shoulders was soapy, but I remember it as an "over-the-top, yucky, old-lady kind of soapy" that made me gag. (My ex-MIL, who I loved dearly, had this as her signature scent. I tried to steer her away from it, but she just loved it way too much for me to succeed. She also doused herself with it constantly.)

Prada homme is soapy and could be unisex? Really? (Gotta stop by Sephora to sniff that one, next chance I get!)
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

Basenotes Institution

How about Pearl Musk by Ava Luxe? It's light soapy floral musk to me . I love it.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Dior Escale a Portofino is extremely soapy but it's along the budget of the others you mentioned...

the Grace series in the Philosophy line
    Chanel Beige
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Just thought of another.... EL's Beautiful. Just saw a giftset of this (1.7oz EDP + .5oz mini EDP + 3oz body lotion) at TJMaxx, for $35.
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

Blog Entries

PURO LINO, by Puro Lino from LuckyScent is light fresh and actually has weight although it smells of fresh linen.