Code of Conduct

Default A peppery sweet leathery fragrance

Im lookin for a A peppery sweet leathery fragrance. Can anybody give me some advice?

Yes still lookin for a replacement for BY Man

Default Re: A peppery sweet leathery fragrance

Histoire de Parfums 1740 (Marquee de Sade) might fit the bill. This is a sweet, spicy leather scent; however, I don't think it could be called peppery.

Top note : bergamot, davana sensualis;
    Heart Note : patchouli, coriander, cardamom;
    Base Note : cedar, elemi, leather, labdanum.

Source: http://www.histoiresdeparfums.com/10...php?produit=14
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

There are many great choices out there. Some of the first few that come to mind ( based on my own experience and others' recommendations ):

Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger
    Creed Royal English Leather
    Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne

My personal recommendations:

L'Artisan Dzing!
    Ayala Moriel Razala
    Elsha 1776 ( my top pick for what you describe )

Non-niche:

Polo Double Black
    Armani Code

Pascal Morabito OR Black is what you are looking for. I've never ordered it online but you can find it here:
    http://www.pascalmorabito.com/store/index.php?lg=en

or yu can get a decant from the perfumed court.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Blog Entries

the reformulated Bel Ami is definitely spicy/peppery with a bit of leather. the original Bel Ami was much more of a pure leather...while the recently reformulated one takes some clove, pepper, and spice....and throws it into a subtle leather fragrance.

it's not a bad scent, yet definitely not as striking as more pure leather scents.

thanks so far guys
    but Armani code, leathery??? i dont agree

Hard to find all three qualities in one fragrance, especially non-niche.

Burberry London is kinda smokey leather and sweet. I'm not sure about peppery though. Definitely a good one winter frag that is non-niche.

Penhaligon's Opus 1870

peppery, sweet, leather - sounds like a spanish leather. sometimes the leather plays a secondary role in these sweet spicey leathers. I recomend:

Odori Cuio - a ginger spicey sweet leather fragrance. Among the best from Odori.
    Elsha 1776 - very warm spice leather - very pleasant and easy to wear. (I have this up on my for sale post, btw!)
    Pinaud Special Reserve - spicey, honey spanish leather that dries down into warm rustic suede leather. Very Inexpensive fragrance that is @ $6 - $8 online from drustore.com and other sites and is probably my favorite of this bunch.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 26th October 2008 at 01:46 PM.

There is one i know: Varvatos

Its spicy, leathery and sweet.. The perfect oriental

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkf View Post
    There is one i know: Varvatos

Its spicy, leathery and sweet.. The perfect oriental
    i'd agree...although i'd probably choose Varvatos Vintage ahead of it, a more complex fragrance as a whole

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    i'd agree...although i'd probably choose Varvatos Vintage ahead of it, a more complex fragrance as a whole
    Nah dont agree.. Vintage smells like a pie or something.. makes me noches

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    +1 on the John Varvatos Vintage -- I just received a NIB bottle in yesterday's mail.

Also, I highly recommend Gucci Gucci Pour Homme -- strong pepper and leather, and sufficiently sweet, too. AND, it's reasonably priced.

Basenotes Institution

Try Poivre Samarcande (Hermessence) by Hermes. It's a subtle scent, and it took me about 3-4 wearings to finally 'get', but it encompasses all of your three requests, very stylishly. The only drawback, is it's expensive price tag.

And, I disagree with the Bel Ami recommendation. I don't think BA is sweet at all.

The three qualities - sweet, peppery, leathery - are somewhat discordant. There are plenty of fragrances with any two, but I can't think of nay with all three... it's getting peppery and sweet together that's the tough part.

DZing! probably comes closest, though it's not particularly sweet. Cuiron is leathery and sweet - as it PG's Cuir Venenum, but neither are peppery. Oud Cuir d'Arabie is peppery and leathery, but far from sweet. And so on. I can't comment on Bel Ami but now I'm curious to try it.

Blog Entries

Pascal Morabito Or Black---- musky peppery leather
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Try Poivre Samarcande (Hermessence) by Hermes. It's a subtle scent, and it took me about 3-4 wearings to finally 'get', but it encompasses all of your three requests, very stylishly. The only drawback, is it's expensive price tag.

And, I disagree with the Bel Ami recommendation. I don't think BA is sweet at all.
    well Poivre Samarcande is not a leather scent, mate! :P

Bel Ami (original) is not sweet, however Bel Ami (reformulated) has a very light sweet and spicy feel to it....definitely not very sweet, but mos definitely spicy (unlike the original)

Lately I've been touting Etat Libre d'Orange's leathers every chance I can get. Vierges et Toreros, which is described by Luca Turin as "peppery leather" might just be what you're looking for. I might add there is some sweetness in its amber notes as well. Right now it's my favorite new style leather scent.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

I can definitely smell sweetness in Bel Ami.

I second Or Black by Morabito.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

peau d'espange is by no stretch of the nostrils "sweet"

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    The three qualities - sweet, peppery, leathery - are somewhat discordant. There are plenty of fragrances with any two, but I can't think of nay with all three... it's getting peppery and sweet together that's the tough part.
    Agreed - hence my suggestion of Polo Double Black. In most cases, if a drag has all three of these qualities, one will be far subtler than the rest. DB is all of these, but not at the same time.

Originally Posted by bbBD
    Well there is one haha. To be honest I got "peppery sweet leathery" from the SirSlarty's review on BY Man.

I gotta give Double Black another chance. I tried it on paper, and it didnt satisfy me. But somehow i get the feeling, judging from the reviews and descriptions, that I'm goin to like this one if I spend more time with it.

Varvatos/V.Vintage , I really look forward on trying this ones. I hope i can find them in the store in The Netherlands, I did not see them at Douglas, but I'm going to try Ici Parix XL or De Bijenkorf.. I already was expecting to like this one, judging from the reviews, but now that they are named here on my topic I cant wait to try them.

I've spend too much money on fragances last month (8 new bottles, among wich 2 expensive By Man's), so a niche is out of my range.

WOW, I just saw on a Dutch website:
    John Varvatos 125ML (4.22 oz) for 55 Euro.
    John Varvatos 75ML (2.53 oz) for 50 Euro

Thats 5 Euro for a difference of 50ML (1.69 oz) !!!
    Last edited by brianroy; 27th October 2008 at 11:24 AM.

Go for it, varvatos is great..

Quote Originally Posted by uptownbondboy View Post
    peau d'espange is by no stretch of the nostrils "sweet"
    It's difficult to define sweet (salty or dry), cold and warm (soft, wet, etc.) in smells because these qualities actually are directly perceived by other human senses and only work via associations. I think it is quite possible that some people perceive Bel Ami and Peau d'Espagne as rather dry, while others, like myself, appreciate a certain amount of sweetness in them. I clearly pick up (unspecified) dried fruit in Peau d'E but little pepper, if any at all. I therefore find it sweet besides anything else that makes it beautiful, moderately sweet like pipe tobacco that has been stored together with dried fruit (apple slices, figs and orange maybe). Some describe Tauer's L'Air as smoky and dry, but I find it sweet to the point of becoming cloying after half an hour.

Daim Blond, Tabac Blond, Chanel's Cuir de Russie and Cuiron are all sweeter than those mentioned earlier. But they 'lack' pepper. - Have you tried layering, brianroy?
    Last edited by narcus; 27th October 2008 at 05:47 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

To name a few:

Equipage
    Allure Homme
    Cuiron
    Perry Ellis M
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976