Code of Conduct

Thread: Ciel dHerms

Default Ciel dHerms

No, I don't have any insider information! There is no such thing to my knowledge. But what if there were? It would seem a logical progression from the 'earth' of Terre dHerms to the 'sky' of my imaginary "Ciel dHerms".

Here's your task, should you choose to accept it! Imagine you're J-C Ellena and the good people at Herms are demanding a follow-up fragrance to the magnificent TdH. How would you reformulate it given the brief that we're replacing 'earth' with 'sky'?

Being the violet whore that I am, I would try replacing the orange (but leaving the grapefruit) with sharp, ethereal violets, re-working the pepper and flint notes but definitely keeping them relatively intact. But that's just me. J-C Ellena's take on Grey Flannel or Narciso Rodriguez.

With Tdh, I get a mental picture of a mechanic in greasy overalls with a wrench in one hand and a freshly peeled orange in the other. I want to replace the orange with a bunch of violets in "CdH" !!!

Now I've opened the flood-gates of revolt! But I'd love to read your ideas.

Default Re: Ciel dHerms

I think this is a great thread question. I like the concept.
    I wonder what you are saying about violet -- do you mean violet leaf predominantly, or violet flower. Violet leaf to my nose is quite piercing, an ethereal note I suppose but one I'm still struggling to understand and like.
    I would suggest a very pure incense/resin combination. As you say, less orange and more grapefruit, maybe some lemon. Keep the pepper. Keep the florals to soften. Less benzoin. No cedar (too earthy, although I love it). Vetiver in a grassy mode, not soapy.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Yes - I think this is an interesting question. TdH already has an Earth/Sky duality, heavy on the Earth, with a touch of Sky. I would say that the task is to flip it - mostly Sky with a bit of Earth. I think that Neil Morris Red Sky pretty well does that, but not in the light and purely transparent Ellena style. So I would say that it needs an ozonic component and a fresh component, but with JCE's minimalism.

I agree that violets could work here. Spectral Violet is a very airy violet, and fits the image, but it is very damp and dank. This one needs to be dry, or at most very slightly aqueous. I agree that the cedar must be lost, and the vetiver of a high enough quality to show the airy aspect of Sel de Vetiver, and not the rooty earthiness of many darker vetivers.

Man, this sounds good already!

I've been rethinking this... the violets are wrong, it pains me to admit! As it stands, it reminds me of Gucci II or Burberry Touch. Unless Redneck's "Spectral Violet" is a very different beast to the powdery pseudo violet used in GII and BT (although I like them both). Where can I smell "Spectral Violet"? My curiosity is extremely piqued!

I'm thinking... cactus flower!

It would work in with the 'desert' theme in the current TdH advertising.