Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: How many bottles of fragrance can you 'handle'?

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'm a romantic at heart.. one true love and all that. Well, I don't think I could ever get my perfume collection down to one, and I love exploring new smells all the time, but I'd like to keep my collection to 20 bottles or less. Of course, I intend to sample everything, in due time. But I feel that there really are certain scents that best align with me and my moods based on the weather or the season or if I'm optimistic or pessimistic or whatever, and keeping a small and focused 'drobe further enhances those connections with the scents and my relationship with each keeps growing and is never subject to neglect. Out of the 13 bottles I own, I only wear about 4 regularly although I'm soon to add another one into the regular rotation. I've now become very picky about what I buy full bottles of as over the years I've begun to find out what scents really are me and not just 'what scents do I really like the smell of.' Of course, the latter quality is a necessity as well!

Now, I realize that I will change, I will grow as a person, and as such what seems to be the best scent for a mood will change, and my drobe will either need to grow to accomodate these changes, or old loves will have to be retired. That has already happened - hence why I wear so few of few scents I own. I'm not sure how to handle this yet, although I think making a 5 or 10ml decant of the scent and then parting with it is the way to go. I can revisit the decant from time to time and see if I still feel the same about it or if I've fallen back in love, and yet decants are like samples as they don't feel like a part of my 'drobe and I don't feel like I'm neglecting them if I don't wear them in ages. Silly psychology at play.
    Well said, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Minis, when available, are one way to get around this. I could see going CRAZY with minis if more niche fragrances came that way. Right now, I just have a handful. My oh my, they are adorable!
    I agree - my minis of Daisy, Covet, Chloe and Vera Wang are straight out of a doll's house. I would probably still love them even if I disliked the scent!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Size matters, I need FB :P
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I thought I would catch a lot of flak for saying my collection was so small.
    Thanks for cutting me a break. You people are always so open-minded.
    It is interesting to hear how people with big collections can make "rotation" work, too.
    There seem to be two big deciding factors on collection size:
    1. How much money you feel comfortable investing in a collection
    2. How long you think perfumes "keep" without losing their strength or changing

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    2. How long you think perfumes "keep" without losing their strength or changing
    This is the biggie for me, and I am now on the cusp of curbing my restless desire to collect and get that "high" you get from continually trying new things. Instead, a more puritanical streak that hates waste is starting to kick in and urge me to enjoy what I have. This principle has always applied to the contents of my fridge, so I guess my perfume stash was due to be next!

This month is the 1st anniversary of my perfume collection, and I'm coming up to 20 different full bottles (not counting samples & doubles). This is not as many as some, but I'm starting to find it "hard" to choose what to wear.

I'm going to make a serious attempt at stopping there so I can start going through them & will only buy more (either a new fragrance or a repurchase) when I finish a bottle!

Wish me luck! It's going to be hard!!!!
    Last edited by KeLLsTar; 29th October 2008 at 10:42 AM.
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.

Smile Re: How many bottles of fragrance can you 'handle'?

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    Seattlelight, you and I have vaguely similar approaches to reducing our collections . . . LizzieJ, have you thought about donating them charitably, or giving them to your friends who have teen daughters?

In any case, with all the valid reasons for all of us to feel less than perfect, maybe we (are you hearing me LizzieJ?) should forgive ourselves for avidly pursuing this relatively harmless hobby.
    Actually I HAVE given away several bottles with good results. They've found much happier homes!

And I do forgive myself this relatively harmless hobby. (I COULD collect jewelry or watches like several friends and family members!). I'm just finding that keeping track of 'too many' fragrances (whatever that number 'too many' is...for me it's 90) is difficult and leads to neglect .

As I take inventory I'll put the orphans up for adoption on Basenotes! And some I'll give to Goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    This is the biggie for me, and I am now on the cusp of curbing my restless desire to collect and get that "high" you get from continually trying new things. Instead, a more puritanical streak that hates waste is starting to kick in and urge me to enjoy what I have. This principle has always applied to the contents of my fridge, so I guess my perfume stash was due to be next!
    This is BECOMING a biggie for me. That tension between wanting to expand the collection, and not wanting to 'waste' fragrance because it's getting old. ^_^

Smile Re: How many bottles of fragrance can you 'handle'?

Quote Originally Posted by KeLLsTar View Post
    This month is the 1st anniversary of my perfume collection, and I'm coming up to 20 different full bottles (not counting samples & doubles). This is not as many as some, but I'm starting to find it "hard" to choose what to wear.

I'm going to make a serious attempt at stopping there so I can start going through them & will only buy more (either a new fragrance or a repurchase) when I finish a bottle!

Good Luck! Let us know how you fare!

Yes, KeLLsTar, this is the right time to decide your style.
    It's a nice turning-back spot, 20 bottles is.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    Actually I HAVE given away several bottles with good results. They've found much happier homes!

And I do forgive myself this relatively harmless hobby. (I COULD collect jewelry or watches like several friends and family members!). I'm just finding that keeping track of 'too many' fragrances (whatever that number 'too many' is...for me it's 90) is difficult and leads to neglect .

As I take inventory I'll put the orphans up for adoption on Basenotes! And some I'll give to Goodwill.
    I know what you mean about keeping track and neglect -- I don't really know what I have sample-wise, and they are stored just everywhere. Plus, often the labels start to peel off and then I really don't know what I have. Okay, so now I am starting to not forgive myself this relatively harmless hobby.

As long as I dont hit 600 I think my collection is fine, remember the male thread of show pictures of your collection. I do worry about fragrances going off if I dont use them that often. It seems the newer the bottle the more I try to wear itm until it looks half empty then I get scared and wear it less. The more expensive the bottle the faster this happens.

Im terrified of running out of serge lutens
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    Good Luck! Let us know how you fare!
    Thanks lizzie_j! Will do

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Yes, KeLLsTar, this is the right time to decide your style.
    It's a nice turning-back spot, 20 bottles is.
    Thanks for the support..... I think so too.... not too many, not too little variety.... I've tried to get a few different scent styles for winter/supper.... should last me a while

This is a good thread!
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.

Consider me a minimalist!

I've always been one for collecting but, whenever I feel I may have more than necessary, I do start feeling guilty. As a result, culling my collections is usually the only solution to resolve the 'problem'.

Luckily, I was already aware of this personal issue before I joined Basenotes, so I've been extra vigilant when building my wardrobe. As purplebird7 and SculptureOfSoul already stated, a fragrance really has to be special to be FBW. Obviously, that's easier said than done but there's always the sales forum, I guess...

Currently, my limit is 15 (plus a couple exclusively for the office - substantial and nice but, ultimately, disposable) with space for just one more. One day, the limit may increase to 20 but anymore than that would really make me feel uncomfortable. But, hey, everyone's different...

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    It seems the newer the bottle the more I try to wear itm until it looks half empty then I get scared and wear it less. The more expensive the bottle the faster this happens..
    I used to be obsessed with all of the bottles being used down to the same percentage...

I have no control over my collection. I have stopped buying full bottles of new scents, except to replenish my stash of HGs. If I'm honest, I can probably only handle about 10 bottles, as I'd estimate that is the number of scents in my collection that I've worn regularly in the last year-- or longer. I've ordered samples lately, but none have moved me to purchase larger sizes. I need to head over to the clinic. Having so many scents around that I'm not using is causing me anxiety.

What I'm going to do is wear each scent in my collection; a different one everyday, going though them alphabetically. I will find new homes for the ones I don't love.
    Last edited by leffleur; 3rd November 2008 at 01:32 AM.

I've got about 40 or so (I think), and it's unmanageable. I don't really want any more, to be honest. I just want to wear the ones I have and enjoy them - and then when I find there are some that I don't enjoy as much as the others, I'll prune them out. I will probably get new ones, but only if I absolutely love them. I have some that I bought because I liked them, but that I'm now thinking I'm not as keen on. One of those, surprisingly, is Anick Goutal Songes. I adored it when I first got it, but there just seems to be something missing from it - I can't for the life of me say what it is. Also, it stains my clothes if I get it anywhere near - I do tend to wear a lot of white shirts and Songes is not good for them at all!

I'm wearing a white shirt tomorrow, so I imagine my perfume choice for the day will probably be Le Dix.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    I'm wearing a white shirt tomorrow, so I imagine my perfume choice for the day will probably be Le Dix.

Le Dix is a lovely white shirt choice! I impulse bought a 30ml bottle of YSL Nu Edt in T K Maxx today - well, for 12.99 it would be rude not to, I reckoned. It was technically an unsniffed purchase, as the sample I have turned out to be Edp. But I think the Edt is probably more wearable, so I am happy. And though I swore I would only buy Rose Kashmirie between now and the year end, this bottle is so THIN it surely can't count??

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    As long as I dont hit 600 I think my collection is fine...
    I couldn't agree more .
    Last edited by socalwoman; 3rd November 2008 at 08:43 PM.

I'm not an OMG person, but, OMG.... I look back at my post from 5 years ago & realise how innocent I was.

My "serious attempt" to stay at 20 full bottles obviously was not that serious. Heeheehee!

Quote Originally Posted by KeLLsTar View Post

Just curious, how many of you feel that you've had a fragrance "go bad"?

I have bottles that I've had 5 or 6 years and although they sometimes don't smell exactly as I remember, mostly they do, and none of them smells "off" in any way.

I also have a couple of very old bottles (25+ years) and while I don't know what they originally smelled like, again, there is nothing about them that suggests any deterioration.

I should point out that I keep them all away from light and the temperature here is moderate, so they are not exposed to light or heat, which would be the biggest dangers.

To the OP, I haven't found a limit. I did stop acquiring for a while but I've bought a few bottles recently, and haven't finished any of the old ones. I am not sure how many I have. Definitely less than 600, though.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

I'm in acquisition mode. Initial blind buys that I liked, but didn't adore have made me a systematic sampler. After jasmines, chypres and then roses, buying only loves. Then I'll stop, unless I happen to sample something so divine I have to have it. I have a feeling I'll collect well under 100, probably closer to 50. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    Just curious, how many of you feel that you've had a fragrance "go bad"?

I have bottles that I've had 5 or 6 years and although they sometimes don't smell exactly as I remember, mostly they do, and none of them smells "off" in any way.

I also have a couple of very old bottles (25+ years) and while I don't know what they originally smelled like, again, there is nothing about them that suggests any deterioration.

I should point out that I keep them all away from light and the temperature here is moderate, so they are not exposed to light or heat, which would be the biggest dangers.

To the OP, I haven't found a limit. I did stop acquiring for a while but I've bought a few bottles recently, and haven't finished any of the old ones. I am not sure how many I have. Definitely less than 600, though.
    Re.the 'going off' issue - the old Quadrille & Le Dix didn't seem to last too well for me for some reason - by which I mean that after about twenty or possibly more years they were dumped, despite having been kept in their boxes in a cool, dark place, as they were decidedly stale.
    I have found much the same with Joy parfum.
    These bottles were maybe over half-used.

A very early almost full Caleche parfum was recently revived a quite bit by adding a drop of oakmoss abs., but that probably only worked due to it's original nature.
    It's perfectly fine to wear now, if not totally exactly the same as before - it was a bit of a sad relic previously so it has found a new life!
    This one wasn't really 'off', although it was not wearable - just a sort of reminder of the past really.

The EdT's of Joy & Caleche of similar ages are fine.

It would be interesting to hear whether anyone else has had similar experiences.

Recycling in action!
    Last edited by lpp; 29th November 2013 at 06:53 PM.

No limits for me so far, at least no immediately/easily quantifiable ones. Haven't reached the feeling, state, mood, mindset etc. yet where "enough is enough" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    No limits for me so far, at least no immediately/easily quantifiable ones. Haven't reached the feeling, state, mood, mindset etc. yet where "enough is enough" for me.
    Well put Ken. Same for me.
    (883)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Oh, they will go off at some point. But I still keep acquiring more. I am leaning more toward niche, new rather than antique for that reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Though I do feel it is getting too many now it seems difficult to get rid of any. Even those FB I maybe love less, I still love them and want to keep them, be it in memory of the times I loved them more.
    I'm approaching 100 FB and that will definitely be the limit. I do have many decants as well (of which I love most, but not all as there are many blind buys). So all in all, if I wore every scent the same amount of time I would end up giving each one a wear only twice a year, which is not much for scents I love. Anyway, I don't think of them as useless as I love spraying myself through my collection in the evening at home and enjoy especially the scents that are not so wearable for work.
    Scent is not a 'consumable' for me like a shower gel, thus the 'when am I gonna use this up' rationale is irrelevant. I must accept that I'm a collector. And I don't see myself with only 10 bottles. These times are over.
    But as said 100 is my personal limit. Then I will force myself to start getting rid of bottles, maybe giving to friends.

I once would purchase 2bottles a month, until I noticing only but a few commanded my attention. At that moment I was at 50-60 bottles of cologne. I finally told myself to snap out of it!!! 20-bottles will be my new fragrance rotation and that's it.

Blog Entries

I always want more but I feel pressure to sell and downsize at about 20 bottles. The pressure is huge and stresses me out but every month I find something new I want to buy!
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Money is my only limit right now. It works pretty well.

I haven't yet given myself a limit. I'm at 54 FB's presently and can see 100 as a good limit potentially, but I haven't got a hard decision on that currently. I tend to wear two fragrances per day on average which would allow a pretty minimal number of wearings per fragrance so when I think of it that way, I think I've perhaps gone overboard. However, at this point, I'm in discovery mode. I'm learning what I really love, what I want to experience and I am ok with that for now.