Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question How many bottles of fragrance can you 'handle'?

As I was getting acupuncture'd today I was doing my usual mental laundry list, and I was thinking about how many fragrances I have in my wardrobe, and how ridiculous it seems to have so many! I can't keep track of them let alone give each one a proper wearing (for a few days at a time). And then there are the samples that I compulsively order like some of my friends over at Ernie Gallo's clinic! I have hundreds. I've decided I MUST get my collection down to a more reasonable number of scents, and that probably means cutting it in half or even by two thirds. I think the phenomenon I am experiencing may be more common with those of us who are relatively new to our fragrance obsession, but I don't know....?

So, I'm wondering, how do other perfume fanatics get a handle on their collections? Do you have a 'number of bottles/decants' limit that you try not to exceed? Do you clean house every so often? Do you just give in to the chaos? And how did you decide what limits, if any, to impose on yourself?

Thanks in advance for any and all tips! Liz

Default Re: How many bottles of fragrance can you 'handle'?

What a timely post, Lizzie J. I just finished placing orders of samples from two different sites. I have, while not perhaps hundreds of samples, close to that, and several full bottles of scent, as well.

Part of the reason I do what I do is that I look for scents to give as gifts at Christmas and birthdays. I live over two hours from any major department stores, and my local Macy's stocks only the mass market scents, so unless I buy samples, I have no way of testing anything of interest.

I teach theatre for a living and every winter I teach stage makeup. As a little bonus to the students after I give the first big quiz, they win grab bags of new and unopened makeup and skincare samples, and I offer those with the highest quiz scores, the scent samples I have bought and set aside. So eventually many of the scents find new homes, but I do admit that I don't need all these scents -- regardless of how I eventually recycle them. Sigh.

I looked at your wardrobe and it looks like you really like most of your stuff. I know the minute that I give one away I will regret it, and I will at least want it on hand to sample against a review or another scent. But if you really feel you must trim down, I would be happy to adopt your poor unwanted scent children, and I would promise to give them a good home.

I sometimes think I would like to streamline my wardrobe and cut it in half, but I truly appreciate everything I have, even if some of them might seem redundant. I don't clean house, but every so often, I'll look at a bottle and realize it should probably go to someone who will wear it a little more often. I'm comfortable with my current number, give or take 5 -- it's the samples that overwhelm me. They multiply like rabbits!

If you enjoy everything you have, just give in to the chaos.
    Last edited by tang; 26th October 2008 at 06:35 AM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Lizzie, you have a lot of perfumes, my wardrope can't be compared to yours,but I consider that I don't have as many fragrances as I would like to have! It's not a number that I have in mind. When I choose to buy I a fragrance, I must be sure that it somehow suits and represents me, consequnetly it takes me a lot of time until I make up my mind whether I buy it or not. Try to do the same, get through all of them and give away whatever does not 'feel familiar'. If you like them all, keep them; it's not chaos...collecting fragrances is a hobby, you don't have to wear them all in order to make them useful. Perfumes are not like clothes, for example, I get very angry if I happen to have clothes that I don't wear at all, but it doesn't happen the same with fragrances.
    Last edited by Lady M.; 26th October 2008 at 10:17 AM.

I think I might stop at 60, a lot of the FB I have in my wardrobe are almost empty though and that is a horrible feeling as well.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I am having that conversation with myself right now, as it happens. My perfume obsession is 9 months old and in that time I have accumulated several hundreds of samples, minis and small decants, plus 22 FBs or so, having previously only owned one rancid bottle of EL Intuition (no disrespect to Intuition - it was on a sunny windowsill gathering dust for 7 years). This collection will already last me 9-10 years, assuming the most optimistic shelf life projections.

So I have stopped my regular orders with Luckyscent and TPC, and will perhaps only allow myself 10 more samples between now and Christmas (bold aim, I know). Of the 22 bottles, a good half dozen are early, impulsively bought mistakes, both mainstream and niche. I have recently given one FB away, and could see me trying to find a home for a couple more, whose presence in my drawer I find slightly unsettling, such as CK Euphoria and several wasp-trap Jo Malones.

I would allow myself one more FB for Christmas - most probably Rose Kashmirie from the Rosines line - and then I really need to get using what I own. And inviting the female population of my entire estate (subdivision) to come over for wild spritzing sessions to lose some more product!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Also, I'm here for evryone who wants helps to make their collection smaller, if only more people would ship internationally Woe is me and all.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I'm hoping to get something like 20 bottles of fragrances that I really like and that suit me and will work for different occasions and moods. I have ten at the moment, but even though that's a lot fewer than some of you, there are still some that don't really work, and I should get rid of them.

Lian, I am not sure you would care for any of my rejects, but the international shipping aspect wouldn't faze me at all!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 26th October 2008 at 12:27 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Sweet, in that case ..yes everyone but me should stop at around 40 bottles

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    I would allow myself one more FB for Christmas - most probably Rose Kashmirie from the Rosines line - and then I really need to get using what I own. And inviting the female population of my entire estate (subdivision) to come over for wild spritzing sessions to lose some more product!
    Oh.my.god. I've just had an idea: You know of these parties where women bring clothes, handbags & accessories they don't want any more and swap them over the course of the evening? What if someone were to arrange a a scent-swap n' sniff evening where the point would be to share sprays AND to bring the "oopsies" from your wardrobe (our various threads indicate only too well that one girl's scrubber is another one's Holy Grail).

If only I lived in a bigger place! I would be already planning! (When we finally move house next year, maybe... ).

I have a good scrubbing tip, use whitening tooth paste and then some handsoap

And the swap could be done maybe at the big basenotes meet up?

About 140 bottles and 150 decants.
    And I'm not ashamed of it anymore.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

hmmm.... I have about 50 in my wardrobe, but that includes some large decants, not all are full bottles...samples are another story, at one point I had about 200 samples, and made a point of passing them forward ...

I just went through a paring down period where I listed and sold a few...I tell myself I'd like to get down to ten basic fragrances, but when I actually start to list the ones I can't live without, well, that plan goes out the window fast.

I think that for folks like us, there is a joy in knowing you can reach for a perfume that has transported you, even if it is only once in a while that you have a yen to revisit that, it is sure good to know it's only a spritz away.

I think for matters of the heart, you must go easy on yourself and when its time to let go of some of your perfumes, you will know. Enjoy them while they're with you!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    And the swap could be done maybe at the big basenotes meet up?
    That's true... Hmmm! Nice idea!

I don't really order decants. I usually sample and either pass or buy a full bottle. I have a friend in London that sends me a heap of samples every now and then. I have plenty of bottles in my collection, but I get plenty of wear out of them all. Although I have to admit that I do forget about some of them. It just makes it so wonderful when I discover them again. It's almost like getting a new frag all over again. I take into consideration that I only wear certain frags during the spring/summer and the same with fall/winter. I only have a handful that I wear year-round.

One thing is definitely for sure. I will never ever have too many bottles of perfume. I love it. I love getting a new bottle of perfume. I'm fighting myself now not to go out and get a new bottle today lol. I need to tighten my purse strings right now, but I'm just dying to try David Yurman again. If I like it, I know I'll whip out that plastic and yell CHAAAAARGE!!!!! I also want Dzongkha by L'Artisan and Zen by Shiseido. Will it ever stop?????

I hope not....*giggle*
    Last edited by Divatologist; 26th October 2008 at 02:02 PM.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I don't have much for the time being, less than 10 but I am a beginner!! I have many samples, and a few decants (around 15) and i love decants, it's such a good way to really have a try with a fragrance... but then, i wonder what it will be in 5 years...

Decants are something that will carry me through until I get filthy rich and I can get all the FB I want. Sometimes I swap decants if I think I'll like the perfume but often I try to get them if I have sampled them already and just can't afford a bottle or there are other , more worthy Fb contenders out there.

I still get anxious and into a saving mood when a sample runs out when I loooove the fragrance, I think it's my tell tale sign of ' I need a bottle' if I want to empty it but I'd regret it.

Samples for me are a good way to know houses better than just reading about them on paper, if you sample a few perfumes from a house you get a better feeling for it and when something is annouced you can imagine the fragrance a little better and know whether to get excited or not.

For Lutens I know I should go for the relative light fragrances because Arabie is way to strong, so is chergui..they both have something that makes it just too much for me. But if I read a review now on any serge lutens I can guess whether it would fall into my area of likeable lutens or..not so likeable.

hermes in general is too light for me, they are nice scents but just way too light ( all the jardin and merveillaux), terre being the exception So if an annoucement says it's heavier than any before I might give it a try..otherwise it's a pass for me.

I can´t handle too many it seems. If I feel I have too many bottles, I feel forced to wear scents I love less, just for the sake of it, and I don´t like doing that. When my collection has grown into too many impulse buys, or blind buys, I start regretting, and wanna start all over again with a new collection...
    I still have this silly idea of having a "small" (say 8 - 10 bottles) rotation of HG scents only, so when I find too many old bargains from Fragrancex hiding in my cabinet, I start cleaning out.
    Some of the scents in my current wardrobe are just decants; I usually buy the 5 ml size from TPC of scents I really think is for me. Samples have to be at least 1,5 ml for me to really make me decide about a scent.
    No, I guess I´m not a collector, just desperately seeking perfection.

I think I'm aiming for somewhere in the region of 40-50. My current wardrobe says 41, but it's deceptive. Some of the items on there are minis or large samples I've been hoarding because I intend to get the FB.

Out of the 41, 24 are keepers (that I intend to replace once they run out). The others - once they're gone, they're gone (and some I'm keeping almost for sake of occasionally studying them and then they don't get worn for a while again).

I seem to have rated all my "intend to replace" at 4 or 5 stars. All the 3 star ones I can live without.

If I currently have 24 keepers, that leaves some room for me to find new ones (some of which are already on my wish list) - and ones that make a journey through the 'drobe and get dropped in favour of new discoveries. I'd like to keep the wardrobe to a size that can reasonably be worn - but - I want to smell and test hundreds of fragrances already in existence and yet to come, which means sampling and decants can fulfil the study/obsession angle.

Talking Re: How many bottles of fragrance can you 'handle'?

Quote Originally Posted by ChantillyLace View Post
    I looked at your wardrobe and it looks like you really like most of your stuff. I know the minute that I give one away I will regret it, and I will at least want it on hand to sample against a review or another scent. But if you really feel you must trim down, I would be happy to adopt your poor unwanted scent children, and I would promise to give them a good home.
    Thanks! I'll keep you in mind! ^_^

Wink Re: How many bottles of fragrance can you 'handle'?

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    I sometimes think I would like to streamline my wardrobe and cut it in half, but I truly appreciate everything I have, even if some of them might seem redundant. I don't clean house, but every so often, I'll look at a bottle and realize it should probably go to someone who will wear it a little more often. I'm comfortable with my current number, give or take 5 -- it's the samples that overwhelm me. They multiply like rabbits!

If you enjoy everything you have, just give in to the chaos.
    Hmmmm this isn't helping, LOL! I looked at your wardrobe and found several I need to try! Good grief!

Smile Re: How many bottles of fragrance can you 'handle'?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady M. View Post
    Lizzie, you have a lot of perfumes, my wardrope can't be compared to yours,but I consider that I don't have as many fragrances as I would like to have! It's not a number that I have in mind. When I choose to buy I a fragrance, I must be sure that it somehow suits and represents me, consequnetly it takes me a lot of time until I make up my mind whether I buy it or not. Try to do the same, get through all of them and give away whatever does not 'feel familiar'. If you like them all, keep them; it's not chaos...collecting fragrances is a hobby, you don't have to wear them all in order to make them useful. Perfumes are not like clothes, for example, I get very angry if I happen to have clothes that I don't wear at all, but it doesn't happen the same with fragrances.
    I love that advice: "...you don't have to wear them all in order to make them useful." Gives me food (scent?) for thought....

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    ... Of the 22 bottles, a good half dozen are early, impulsively bought mistakes, both mainstream and niche. I have recently given one FB away, and could see me trying to find a home for a couple more, whose presence in my drawer I find slightly unsettling, such as CK Euphoria and several wasp-trap Jo Malones...

I suspect we could both find homes for these impulse buys on Basenotes!

Also, I'm here for evryone who wants helps to make their collection smaller, if only more people would ship internationally Woe is me and all.
    Lian, thanks for all of your comments. You'll be first on my list when and IF I clean house. !!

Sweet, in that case ..yes everyone but me should stop at around 40 bottles
    LOL! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    I think that for folks like us, there is a joy in knowing you can reach for a perfume that has transported you, even if it is only once in a while that you have a yen to revisit that, it is sure good to know it's only a spritz away.

I think for matters of the heart, you must go easy on yourself and when its time to let go of some of your perfumes, you will know. Enjoy them while they're with you!
    You are SO right. There are about 10 so far I can part with. The rest still have a hold on me!

I want to have around 12, but generally I have around 20.

A couple of times a year, I make a haul to St. Vincent de Paul, FB and samples, where the frags then get distributed to a women's shelter. It makes me feel better that they go to less fortunate ladies who may not have these small luxuries that I take for granted daily.

PS I go through frags the way I go through clothes. A few things I keep for years, otherwise, they get turned around / given away very quickly and with impunity.
    Last edited by seattlelight; 26th October 2008 at 08:20 PM.

Wink Re: How many bottles of fragrance can you 'handle'?

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post

One thing is definitely for sure. I will never ever have too many bottles of perfume. I love it. I love getting a new bottle of perfume. I'm fighting myself now not to go out and get a new bottle today lol. I need to tighten my purse strings right now, but I'm just dying to try David Yurman again. If I like it, I know I'll whip out that plastic and yell CHAAAAARGE!!!!! I also want Dzongkha by L'Artisan and Zen by Shiseido. Will it ever stop?????

I hope not....*giggle*
    You are SO not helping!
    On the other hand, you ARE helping by vindicating/validating my OCD perfume craziness. I mean really, the kids can eat beans and rice every day...healthy AND vegetarian, and good for limiting our carbon profile. And if I bike everywhere except work I can save on gas, and that would add up to at least one bottle every week or two......and Oh I can think of lots of other ways to cut back and buy MORE, not less....(as I immediately tab over to the Ernie Gallo thread....)

Quote Originally Posted by musse View Post
    I can´t handle too many it seems. If I feel I have too many bottles, I feel forced to wear scents I love less, just for the sake of it, and I don´t like doing that. When my collection has grown into too many impulse buys, or blind buys, I start regretting, and wanna start all over again with a new collection.
    I still have this silly idea of having a "small" (say 8 - 10 bottles) rotation of HG scents only, so when I find too many old bargains from Fragrancex hiding in my cabinet, I start cleaning out.
    Some of the scents in my current wardrobe are just decants; I usually buy the 5 ml size from TPC of scents I really think is for me. Samples have to be at least 1,5 ml for me to really make me decide about a scent.
    I think I'd like to have more than 8-10 but less than what I have.
    I completely agree with you about the wearing scents that you don't absolutely love, and I think I need to test some of my 4 star fragrances to make sure they are still 4 stars. If they've dropped to 3, then they go!

My FB "limit" keeps edging up. First, I figured I'd have a max of 10--that should be plenty for the seasons, evenings, etc. Then I realized that I was wearing fragrances according to mood and occasion, which exceeds ten, of course. My magic number is now 15 for full bottles. That way, I can see them all (on top of my dresser--I know, I know, but they only get indirect light). I'm disorganized, so if I can't see something, I'll forget about them.

That doesn't, of course, include minis and samples. I've fallen in love with minis, and they give me a very good sense of whether I want to buy a full bottle. Plus, you can fit more on the dresser, and they're cute!

Even though I'm not at 15, I've decided I need to cull down my collection. There are a few in there that I enjoy, but I'll never make it through a FB in several lifetimes, either because I don't reach for them often or because a little goes a long way. In that case, I'm thinking about decanting some for myself and then giving a nice discounted price for the partial bottle in a sales thread here. That way, hopefully I can ease the burden on my credit card for getting those on my wish list that are FBW.

Samples, I'm still struggling on how to organize them. It's close to chaos, and they certainly tend towards entropy. I have untried samples in one area, and tried-but-need-to-try-again samples in another. I'd love to hear how others organize samples.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Samples for me are a good way to know houses better than just reading about them on paper, if you sample a few perfumes from a house you get a better feeling for it and when something is annouced you can imagine the fragrance a little better and know whether to get excited or not.
    Well, put Lian. I have been able to educate myself about the different houses that way also.
    Last edited by Leesee; 26th October 2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: typos

Seattlelight, you and I have vaguely similar approaches to reducing our collections . . . LizzieJ, have you thought about donating them charitably, or giving them to your friends who have teen daughters?

In any case, with all the valid reasons for all of us to feel less than perfect, maybe we (are you hearing me LizzieJ?) should forgive ourselves for avidly pursuing this relatively harmless hobby.
    Last edited by Leesee; 26th October 2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Quote Originally Posted by musse View Post
    Musse, you realize the above would make a great quote for your postings, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post

A couple of times a year, I make a haul to St. Vincent de Paul, FB and samples, where the frags then get distributed to a women's shelter. It makes me feel better that they go to less fortunate ladies who may not have these small luxuries that I take for granted daily.
    That's a lovely idea and one I'll keep in mind if it comes to a time where I am in a crazy cat lady situation but then with perfume and samples.

I have cut back on other things since my perfume addiction kicked in full force, I buy less expensive clothes..because I can't tell the difference between how long a decent brand lasts me and a super expensive one...actually the really expensive ones are a pain to wash anyway. I've cut down on other cosmetics and beauty related stuff because my skin can't take all the scrubbing, polishing,hours of bathing. Oh and stopped boozing every night too So..in short..I feel like I deserve a bottle a month ( if I can afford it and its FB)

Lian I have also cut back on other things -- I wonder how many others make the same kinds of adjustments so that they can keep playing with scents?

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    About 140 bottles and 150 decants.
    And I'm not ashamed of it anymore.
    Love that. Shame is so toxic!
    How do you decide what to wear and how do you keep track? Meticulous organization? A photographic memory?

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    I think I'm aiming for somewhere in the region of 40-50. My current wardrobe says 41, but it's deceptive. Some of the items on there are minis or large samples I've been hoarding because I intend to get the FB.

Out of the 41, 24 are keepers (that I intend to replace once they run out). The others - once they're gone, they're gone (and some I'm keeping almost for sake of occasionally studying them and then they don't get worn for a while again).

I seem to have rated all my "intend to replace" at 4 or 5 stars. All the 3 star ones I can live without.

If I currently have 24 keepers, that leaves some room for me to find new ones (some of which are already on my wish list) - and ones that make a journey through the 'drobe and get dropped in favour of new discoveries. I'd like to keep the wardrobe to a size that can reasonably be worn - but - I want to smell and test hundreds of fragrances already in existence and yet to come, which means sampling and decants can fulfil the study/obsession angle.
    I like your system....it makes sense and to me 40-50 full bottles seems quite reasonable!

I have cut back on other things since my perfume addiction kicked in full force, I buy less expensive clothes..because I can't tell the difference between how long a decent brand lasts me and a super expensive one...actually the really expensive ones are a pain to wash anyway. I've cut down on other cosmetics and beauty related stuff because my skin can't take all the scrubbing, polishing,hours of bathing. Oh and stopped boozing every night too So..in short..I feel like I deserve a bottle a month ( if I can afford it and its FB)
    Right on!

It is a complicated issue, for sure.
    For me, wearing a fragrance is also about looking at the bottle, holding the bottle, applying the fragrance. I become anxious when I love the juice in a decant that it will "disappear." I have certainly slowed down my buying due to the economy and space constraints, but I am by no means finished. I can certainly let go of a few, but not enough to make a difference.

The magic number of FB's for me seems to be around 15-20. These cover most seasons, moods, occasions and then I have all the samples and decants for when I feel they don't. The sampling does get a little crazy as when I find that I have neglected a favorite because I'm so busy trying new and old scents.

We seem all to go through similar stages in our "addiction". Right now I've got 37 bottles, which is too much for me. My limit is 40, and if I ever cross it, I have to get rid of a bottle I don't like that much. Several members of my family smell very nice lately. I think my ideal number would be 15 bottles as my permanent collection + 5 more to try. As for samples, I try to have few. Most of the times there's so little juice it's hard to tell what it smells like. I only buy samples when I'm really very interested in something: the last I got was Dans Tes Bras, to see if it's FB worthy.
    Last edited by alba; 27th October 2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: typo

Every once in a while I decide I really don't like/need a perfume, so I sell or swap it (or if there are no takers, give it away). Other times I really like all the things in my collection but want to pare down. So what I often do is make myself a decant of something I don't wear a lot and swap/sell the bottle.....that way I still *have* it but don't have a bottle I don't need. In most cases, I never reach for the decant. But if nothing else it's there as a reminder of why I didn't reach for the bottle in the first place, so that I don't start regretting getting rid of it and want to buy it again!

I think I've been hovering around the 80-90 mark for the past few years. That's seems about right for me so far. I wear something different everyday, so around that mark, everything seems to get worn eventually in the year. I probably could bring that down slightly, but they are like children and I'd have a hard time choosing which to put up for adoption.

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    It is a complicated issue, for sure.
    For me, wearing a fragrance is also about looking at the bottle, holding the bottle, applying the fragrance. I become anxious when I love the juice in a decant that it will "disappear." I have certainly slowed down my buying due to the economy and space constraints, but I am by no means finished. I can certainly let go of a few, but not enough to make a difference.
    I have the same anxiety about my decants...that there won't be enough! Your wardrobe is magnificent!

Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    We seem all to go through similar stages in our "addiction". Right now I've got 37 bottles, which is too much for me. My limit is 40, and if I ever cross it, I have to get rid of a bottle I don't like that much. Several members of my family smell very nice lately. I think my ideal number would be 15 bottles as my permanent collection + 5 more to try. As for samples, I try to have few. Most of the times there's so little juice it's hard to tell what it smells like. I only buy samples when I'm really very interested in something: the last I got was Dans Tes Bras, to see if it's FB worthy.
    I agree with you about the samples...I'm slowly getting the impression that 1 ml vials are too small to adequately sample something that has possibilities. To determine if I really despise something (Vrai Blonde!! blechhhhh) 1 ml is more than enough.
    (Anyone want my Vrai Blonde sample?)

Quote Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
    Every once in a while I decide I really don't like/need a perfume, so I sell or swap it (or if there are no takers, give it away). Other times I really like all the things in my collection but want to pare down. So what I often do is make myself a decant of something I don't wear a lot and swap/sell the bottle.....that way I still *have* it but don't have a bottle I don't need. In most cases, I never reach for the decant. But if nothing else it's there as a reminder of why I didn't reach for the bottle in the first place, so that I don't start regretting getting rid of it and want to buy it again!
    decant some of the less loved fragrances...great idea....

I think I'd like a twelve to twenty bottle fragrance wardrobe eventually, composed of fragrances I not only love but want to wear regularly ( surprisingly not the same quality at all ), and have no upper limits for decants.

I have 22 bottles at the moment compared to around 30 this time last year. I deliberately cut back to 20 because I was adding to my collection carelessly with quite a few frags that were not 'full wear worthy' for me nevermind full bottle worthy - the two concepts are quite different I have since learned! Currently there are five frags in my wardrobe which will not be replaced, or missed very much when they are finished which allows room for some of my wishlist to be added and still keep to the 20-ish figure. I'm comfortable with around 20-25 I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    ....All the 3 star ones I can live without.
    Funny, I was just thinking about trying to trade or sell a few bottles I have that I've downgraded to three stars. It seems like I shouldn't waste space and attention on those that don't merit four or five stars.

I just counted my full bottles. There are 24. There are four or five that I really should eliminate.

The ultimate "just right" number for me? My ideal seems to be evolving. It used to be 16, but now I'm thinking 36. Or so.

One "problem" I have is that I'm not satisfied with decants. I like to see and hold the pretty bottles. Minis, when available, are one way to get around this. I could see going CRAZY with minis if more niche fragrances came that way. Right now, I just have a handful. My oh my, they are adorable!

I don't feel like I utalize more than 20 at a time. I give, swap, or sell unloved bottles so they don't go to waste.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

You guys are gonna hate me. I had a 20 bottle limit, and I exceeded it. And I hated myself because I could not use all of those perfumes fast enough. I started wanting new ones. And the old ones started losing their strength. So, I used them up, I swapped them, I gave them away until I got down to six---which I rotate. Now I only buy small bottles, even though the cost per ounce is higher, because I like using them up and buying different things. The result is that I always have six small bottles of fragrances I love and use up quickly. And I have room for variety. I even wear my samples--use them, share them, and write reviews. Nothing wasted, nothing hanging around. Maybe it's not the right method for everyone, but it makes me feel good to do it that way. Now, I have to admit, my good friend Kumquat lives nearby, and she has a huge collection, and I can satisfy my curiosity by going over to her Library of Fragrance. So you could say I have an unfair advantage... Still, I think it is a personality trait--are you a minimalist or a maximizer?

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Still, I think it is a personality trait--are you a minimalist or a maximizer?
    I feel I am a minimalist, but anyone who sees my collection would never believe it.

I actually go back and forth though. Some days I just want one fragrance to wear for a while, I don't want to think about choosing a fragrance. I want a signature to identify with myself. I try doing this and then within a few days I am so bored with the fragrance and can barely smell it. Then I want to pull everything I own out of their boxes so that I have a huge variety to choose from every day. After a few days of this I get overwhelmed and feel I am spreading myself too thin over all these fragrances, and nothing feels special anymore. At which point I put them back in their boxes again. Crazy, I know.

Having a select few to choose from is probably best for me (and keeping the rest out of view). But then I keep changing my mind about which few I should keep out. Hey at least my bottles are getting their exercise moving here and there.

You guys are gonna hate me. I had a 20 bottle limit, and I exceeded it. And I hated myself because I could not use all of those perfumes fast enough. I started wanting new ones. And the old ones started losing their strength. So, I used them up, I swapped them, I gave them away until I got down to six---which I rotate. Now I only buy small bottles, even though the cost per ounce is higher, because I like using them up and buying different things. The result is that I always have six small bottles of fragrances I love and use up quickly. And I have room for variety. I even wear my samples--use them, share them, and write reviews. Nothing wasted, nothing hanging around. Maybe it's not the right method for everyone, but it makes me feel good to do it that way. Now, I have to admit, my good friend Kumquat lives nearby, and she has a huge collection, and I can satisfy my curiosity by going over to her Library of Fragrance. So you could say I have an unfair advantage... Still, I think it is a personality trait--are you a minimalist or a maximizer?
    Yes, that distinction seems to be one way of classifying us perfume fanatics. Those that require fewer than 20 bottles, and those that relish having many more than that. I think I'm in the maximizer category, yet my current wardrobe of 80+ is simply too much. I love your very efficient technique in principal if not in my own practice!

Quote Originally Posted by plumeria View Post
    I feel I am a minimalist, but anyone who sees my collection would never believe it.

I actually go back and forth though. Some days I just want one fragrance to wear for a while, I don't want to think about choosing a fragrance. I want a signature to identify with myself. I try doing this and then within a few days I am so bored with the fragrance and can barely smell it. Then I want to pull everything I own out of their boxes so that I have a huge variety to choose from every day. After a few days of this I get overwhelmed and feel I am spreading myself too thin over all these fragrances, and nothing feels special anymore. At which point I put them back in their boxes again. Crazy, I know.

Having a select few to choose from is probably best for me (and keeping the rest out of view). But then I keep changing my mind about which few I should keep out. Hey at least my bottles are getting their exercise moving here and there.
    Now this is an interesting technique. I may have to try it. Pull out a dozen bottles, or less, from the 'drobe, and rotate these selections for a week, month or a season or whatever!

Purplebird, I don't hate you. I think your system is very clever! I do like to buy the smallest bottle size (those 30 ml. are just right!). I am definitely a minimalist at heart, so your solution has some real appeal. On the other hand, I can still picture having 24-36 absolute favorites, and not wanting to be without each one. As I learn more, I'm finding that I like so many different kinds of fragrances! This is causing me some stress (distress), but in a good way, LOL!

I started feeling queasy when I saw my collection was around 60, including lotions and minis. I have taken lotions and minis out of my count, reduced the number of bottles, lotions and minis, and now am around 40. I still want to go lower, though. I think I can settle around 24-36, but we'll see

Blog Entries

No limits here. At least, not yet. I'm somewhere over 50 I think. But I read that Luca and Tania had over 1500 or something like that, so I figure I'm good for at least 1000, being a fanboy of The Guide.

I'm a romantic at heart.. one true love and all that. Well, I don't think I could ever get my perfume collection down to one, and I love exploring new smells all the time, but I'd like to keep my collection to 20 bottles or less. Of course, I intend to sample everything, in due time. But I feel that there really are certain scents that best align with me and my moods based on the weather or the season or if I'm optimistic or pessimistic or whatever, and keeping a small and focused 'drobe further enhances those connections with the scents and my relationship with each keeps growing and is never subject to neglect. Out of the 13 bottles I own, I only wear about 4 regularly although I'm soon to add another one into the regular rotation. I've now become very picky about what I buy full bottles of as over the years I've begun to find out what scents really are me and not just 'what scents do I really like the smell of.' Of course, the latter quality is a necessity as well!

Now, I realize that I will change, I will grow as a person, and as such what seems to be the best scent for a mood will change, and my drobe will either need to grow to accomodate these changes, or old loves will have to be retired. That has already happened - hence why I wear so few of few scents I own. I'm not sure how to handle this yet, although I think making a 5 or 10ml decant of the scent and then parting with it is the way to go. I can revisit the decant from time to time and see if I still feel the same about it or if I've fallen back in love, and yet decants are like samples as they don't feel like a part of my 'drobe and I don't feel like I'm neglecting them if I don't wear them in ages. Silly psychology at play.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more