Code of Conduct

Default Sephora SA goes NUTS

So Saturday my wife and baby and I all went to Rice Village here in Houston to shop and enjoy the weather and grab some lunch. It is basically streets of stores and restaurants...outdoor arcade style. One of the stops was Sephora. So my wife picks up one thing and the fun, over the top SA gets her to sign up for some thing because my wife had used a b-day gift card. The SA then said, over at the door there are little door prize bags with little samples of perfume and all. I asked, "how about cologne?" She said yes, they were in there and she would help too. So we start to leave and on the way out she opens EVERY drawer of samples on the way out and just starts filling the bag. She was like, "Merry Christmas." They aren't top ones that everyone loves but are all designer. My jaw dropped. So basically I got these samples

(2) Kenzo Power
    D&G PH
    D&G Light Blue
    (3) D&G The One
    (2) Armani Attitude
    Hugo
    (2) Chrome
    AdG
    (3) Gucci by Gucci--new one
    Gucci PH II
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche
    (2) Dirty English
    Diesel Fuel for Men
    (2) Hanae Mori
    Lacoste Essentials
    Bvlgari PH
    Angel Ice
    (2) Givenchy Pi Neo
    Givenchy Pi
    Hugo Boss Essentials
    (2) Clinique Happy
    Tommy Hilfiger
    Lacoste Style in Play
    (2) Chanel No. 5
    Last edited by ToughCool; 27th October 2008 at 03:48 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Sephora SA goes NUTS

Oh yes, there is nothing sweeter than when you unexpectedly receive a huge booty of samples!

I've had friendly Basenoters just send me a big fat envelope full of top quality niche stuff, totally unannounced. Your jaw drops and you just want to yell "YESSSS!!!"

Just last week, I requested 2 samples and got 20! They're still all out on my coffee table, begging me to sniff them yet again!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Damn... That's enough samples to fill up a 747!

Anyway, I've always found Sephora SAs to be some of the best. Too bad the nearest one is 80 miles away, near South Bend, even though Fort Wayne is the second-biggest city in Indiana. (Fortunately, I hear that we're finally going to get a Sephora here sometime next year.)
    Last edited by MFfan310; 27th October 2008 at 11:58 AM.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Merry Christmas, indeed!!

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Damn... That's enough samples to fill up a 747!

Anyway, I've always found Sephora SAs to be some of the best. Too bad the nearest one is 80 miles away, near South Bend, even though Fort Wayne is the second-biggest city in Indiana. (Fortunately, I hear that we're finally going to get a Sephora here sometime next year.)
    Yeah, I have a Sephora bag at home that already had samples they made and other ones in it. It is literally filled to the brim and bulging now. It is crazy.

the only warning I got was from my wife..."don't wear the girlie ones that smell sweet."

I also forget to add

(2) Chanel No. 5 and some stuff for my wife including this lotion bottle that was huge. They were giving Saturday.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 27th October 2008 at 12:38 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

So cool that is...Wow.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Wow.....a positive post about a SA.....maybe they do read Basenotes......if they are not.....they should that's for sure.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Wow.....a positive post about a SA.....maybe they do read Basenotes......if they are not.....they should that's for sure.
    Gary
    She was the happiest SA I've ever met. She just wanted to give people things and get them to sign up for things and be happy.

I almost askd her as she got to the end of the scent drawers.."why don't you just throw in a bottle?"..lol
    Last edited by ToughCool; 27th October 2008 at 01:21 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

I've always had great experiences with Sephora SAs.. they're not on commission so their tactics are totally different. They're generally just young people who enjoy their job - glad you had a great experience too! (and I'm a bit jealous, too. )
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

TC is going to be out go-to-guy for opinions on the mainline market high-end designer scents. Someone will ask "I'm aware of the fine line of scents by the house of D&G, and I wonder which one I should buy blind?" TC will then give depth analysis comparing them.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    TC is going to be out go-to-guy for opinions on the mainline market high-end designer scents. Someone will ask "I'm aware of the fine line of scents by the house of D&G, and I wonder which one I should buy blind?" TC will then give depth analysis comparing them.
    . Heck with my stock now I can supply it like Scent-TC-aments.

BTW, props to D&G for making the sample card books a fine, felty material..at least for D&GPH and Light Blue. Just a nice touch.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 27th October 2008 at 04:02 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Thumbs up Re: Sephora SA goes NUTS

All you need is an atomizer or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    All you need is an atomizer or two.
    Too bad I've used all the ones I had from Sally at Essentials for Fragrances. I need to order more.
    --Ben Hogan

She was on excatsy, it looks pretty obvious when reading your description
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    She was a little wide eyed and a little too excited to be there!
    Last edited by ToughCool; 27th October 2008 at 06:50 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

She probably mistook you as me right after I was ROR'd. It was in Jacksonville, right?

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    She probably mistook you as me right after I was ROR'd. It was in Jacksonville, right?
    LOL. Sorry, Houston...hmmm..777 posts. Good luck. Maybe I should stop there today.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 27th October 2008 at 07:06 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

My wife would say "please wear the sweet and powdery ones first..."

People are so different! My wife hates citrusy aquatics!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    My wife would say "please wear the sweet and powdery ones first..."

People are so different! My wife hates citrusy aquatics!
    I'm not sure she likes those either..besides Bvlgari Aqua. Overall, since she loves Burberry London and it has special meaning and she hasn't complained about Polo Modern Reserve, I think she just likes spicier/peppery/manly type fragrances and doesn't want anything that falls into the D&G Light Blue/Versace Man Eau Fraiche/Straight to Heaven/Taste of Heaven.....just put in any fragrance that might have a feminine side to it and she will cringe. So I'm learning. In fact I really had been liking my wearings of Versace Pour Homme but now I'm thinking she will find it too light and AdG like. She is pregnant too so I'm having to walk a fine line..lol. I'm starting to think she would love something like TdH, since I'm starting to come around a little on it.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 27th October 2008 at 07:36 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Thumbs up Re: Sephora SA goes NUTS

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Too bad I've used all the ones I had from Sally at Essentials for Fragrances. I need to order more.
    Sephora sells them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    Sephora sells them.
    Yeah but they are more expensive and they have less to chose from...they don't sell the testers they make for people. The online order you can get alot of them for a good price and she throws in extras.
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    Coke, not MDMA.

Jeez, that is tremendously exciting... How come stuff like this never happens to ME?? Great story.

I went to a Saks a few weeks ago, and the nice sales associate gave me 19 bond 9 samples, and I didn't even purchase anything. I was just talking about my love of fragrances, and he pulled out a huge container with all of the bond 9 samples, and he gave me 19 of the .20 oz bon bons. It was crazy, and my wifes jaw dropped, because they sell 18 samples, in a spiffy box for $250. He hooked it UP! I must say, if I ever need to purchase a fragrance from Saks it will be from him.

OMFG SERIOUSLY-(JAW ON THE FLOOR) YOU LUCKY PERSON.
    I can't wait for the day that it happens to me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    I went to a Saks a few weeks ago, and the nice sales associate gave me 19 bond 9 samples, and I didn't even purchase anything. I was just talking about my love of fragrances, and he pulled out a huge container with all of the bond 9 samples, and he gave me 19 of the .20 oz bon bons. It was crazy, and my wifes jaw dropped, because they sell 18 samples, in a spiffy box for $250. He hooked it UP! I must say, if I ever need to purchase a fragrance from Saks it will be from him.

Actually I just remembered, that happened to me too this past weekend but not 19 samples. more like 9. But like your story, I also talked to the SA about my new passion for fragrances as well as my major in college which just happened to also be the major that her daughter was trying to get into. Nursing! All I know is that if I ever want samples of Bond 9, I know exactly where to go!!! Yippee!

Quote Originally Posted by Delia View Post
    Coke, not MDMA.
    I Say Speed!
    Last edited by heymynameismark; 28th October 2008 at 02:38 AM.

I had a similar experience with Diptyque where I was given a 2.5ML sprayer of each fragrance in their line. Pretty amazing, I still have a bunch left. Like L'Eau the best so far.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 28th October 2008 at 02:36 AM.

Sephora has always had excellent customer service. No one is on commission, which is the way it should be. Enjoy the Eau fraiche, that musky dry down is to die for.
    Last edited by leor_77; 28th October 2008 at 04:01 AM.

My favorite Nordstrom SA also hooked me up with this.......free of charge. She called me up the night before and said she had a gift for me. I went in the next night and she hooked me up.

What an awesome, uplifting story all around. - (sorry I'm a little late to the party, but I'm glad I made it.)

My favorite Nordstrom SA also hooked me up with this.......free of charge. She called me up the night before and said she had a gift for me. I went in the next night and she hooked me up.
    both are very super nice, your SA and the gift
    especially the shower gel

Now that's is aweome. the most have recived out of them is 5 and I thought that was awesome and very generous. That should be your go to guy!
    --Ben Hogan

Nice haul!
    The stores down here in Aus are pretty stingy in my experience with samples (I wouldn't blame the SAs as I know we've had excellent ones, eg when Dimitri was at David Jones)

One exception was the girls at Lancome in Myers Karrinyup... I was looking for a present for my girlfriend 'just because,' she mentioned 'in passing that she wanted a sunscreen + moisturiser for her face. The Lancome ladies said they had nothing with SPF and moisturiser, but because they felt I was so 'nice' they gave me a little bag with a whole bunch of different Lancome moisturisers and a sample of Hypnose. My girlfriend was pretty stoked

In saying that, there was that time I spend about half an hour trying to help a SA get her EFTPOS machine back up and running at a small fragrance store (unfortunately to no avail), after which she said 'for all your help, pick any bottle you want.' My jaw nearly hit the floor!
    Last edited by Anthony87; 28th October 2008 at 01:18 PM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

BTW, and this wasn't the purpose of this and I know not the right forum...I won't be able to wear all the stuff...that I know of. So if anyone is really craving to try any of this stuff, just PM me.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th October 2008 at 02:19 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by CX827 View Post
    both are very super nice, your SA and the gift
    especially the shower gel
    Thanks, I thought it was very nice of her as well. I absolutely love prada, and I am going to love using the shower gel and after shave. I also love the fact that the .5 oz sample of the fragrance(the smallest box) is refillable. Looks like I won't be touching my Prada cologne in the wine cooler for a long time. :-)
    Last edited by Maz24; 29th October 2008 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heymynameismark View Post
    OMFG SERIOUSLY-(JAW ON THE FLOOR) YOU LUCKY PERSON.
    I can't wait for the day that it happens to me too.
    Thanks, my jaw hit the floor as well when he took a bag out and starting filling them with bond 9 samples. I am sure your day will come soon. :-)

Morning Star

I went to a Saks a few weeks ago, and the nice sales associate gave me 19 bond 9 samples, and I didn't even purchase anything.
    OK, now that's a feat. I've never been able to pull anything like that off at Saks Fifth Avenue of Beverly Hills ... and I don't know anyone who has. (Maybe TheAttorney, since he knows someone there. )

Wow, well done! I envy Americans with their Sephora and Saks and BG and....

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Nice haul!
    The stores down here in Aus are pretty stingy in my experience with samples
    So much so that when I bought a bottle and they gave 5 samples (after being asked) I thought I had hit the jackpot!
    Last edited by jillsy; 29th October 2008 at 07:05 AM.

Last friday I went to Nordstroms and scouted the male fragrance section. We quietly made it to the department and began testing. The sales lady then approached us and asked if we were doing alright. I said that we're good and continued vigorously testing whatever caught my interest. She noticed what we were looking at and what we tested. Soon she began engaging in conversation with my friend and me and complimented that we have sophisticated tastes and that most people just go for the Gio. I felt a bit proud since I'm fairly new to researching fragrances and my interest only started in late-August of this year. I said that I don't want to smell like everyone else when I was targeting lesser known fragrances that aren't that mainstream which she took as us having sophisticated taste. I also told her how I first tried Gio when I was 13 and whatnot. We then tested the Prada Amber pour Homme and my friend said that it smelled like a purple marker. To me it smelled like some kind of grape soda. This of course was from the test strip. She said that it smells completely different on the skin but I didn't care enough to try it. She then made a reference to Joop when we were discussing the Prada fragrance. I learned that it was pronounced Yo-p and not Joop like I've been calling it. She spelled it out so that how I knew what she was talking about.

So we chatted a bit about the various fragrances like Hanae Mori H.M. and Rocabar and some others. This time we engaged in conversation with the sales lady and got good results. She asked if there are any fragrances that we would like to get samples of. I didn't want to be too greedy so I asked for Terre D'Hermes, Hanae Mori H.M. Parfum and Dirty English by Juicy Couture. She went and filled new vials with these requested fragrances except Dirty English which she already have available. She also said that she would throw in extra samples. This is a welcomed change from how we're usually perceived by the sales people. We usually say that we're just looking and then go about spraying different fragrances like maniacs while almost ignoring the sales people. Hey, I get in the zone and block them out. I'm researching and they're bothering my study!

Once we were asked to conserve the test cards at a different Nordstroms and maybe think about spraying the fragrances on ourselves since we gave the impression that we're not interested in buying anything and just came to test things and waste their test strips. I brushed off her remark and barely noticed her comment until my friend pointed it out. I still didn't care. It wasn't as bad as my friend and I being told days earlier by some older female worker at Marshalls to not open any fragrances. She was accusing us of planning to open a fragrance. That kind of shocked me. My friend and I are in our early-20s and this was an insult. Then again, I bet adults are the ones that open those fragrances and not some kids. I should have asked, "Are you going to tell this to everyone?" We were hanging around that section for a bit since my friend has internet on his cell phone and was checking for reviews of B*Men at the time. That comment shocked me. Anyway, back to my Nordstrom score. Here are the samples that I got.

Requested the following:

Terre D'Hermes (Sprayed into new vial)
    Hanae Mori H.M. Parfum (Sprayed into new vial)
    Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Friend requested:

Hugh Parsons (blue)

Willingly gave me and my friend:

Dirty English by Juicy Couture (Gave my friend this one as well)
    Gucci by Gucci
    Versace PH
    Narcisco Rodriguez
    Ferre by Gianfranco Ferre
    Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue pour Homme (Gave mine to friend so he has two now)

Altogether I got all of these samples:

Terre D'Hermes
    Hanae Mori H.M. Parfum
    Gucci by Gucci
    Versace PH
    Narcisco Rodriguez
    Last edited by Ronin; 29th October 2008 at 07:50 AM.

At first i thought this thread had something to do with a disgruntled Sephora SA and an AK-47
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Lucky you. In my experience, no one would give me samples, even after a purchase. "We don't have any samples" they say. Yeah right, a huge fragrance store that has no samples whatsoever. Cheap, unfriendly bastards.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Nice work, that is great!
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Last friday I went to Nordstroms and scouted the male fragrance section. We quietly made it to the department and began testing. The sales lady then approached us and asked if we were doing alright. I said that we're good and continued vigorously testing whatever caught my interest. She noticed what we were looking at and what we tested. Soon she began engaging in conversation with my friend and me and complimented that we have sophisticated tastes and that most people just go for the Gio. I felt a bit proud since I'm fairly new to researching fragrances and my interest only started in late-August of this year. I said that I don't want to smell like everyone else when I was targeting lesser known fragrances that aren't that mainstream which she took as us having sophisticated taste. I also told her how I first tried Gio when I was 13 and whatnot. We then tested the Prada Amber pour Homme and my friend said that it smelled like a purple marker. To me it smelled like some kind of grape soda. This of course was from the test strip. She said that it smells completely different on the skin but I didn't care enough to try it. She then made a reference to Joop when we were discussing the Prada fragrance. I learned that it was pronounced Yo-p and not Joop like I've been calling it. She spelled it out so that how I knew what she was talking about.

So we chatted a bit about the various fragrances like Hanae Mori H.M. and Rocabar and some others. This time we engaged in conversation with the sales lady and got good results. She asked if there are any fragrances that we would like to get samples of. I didn't want to be too greedy so I asked for Terre D'Hermes, Hanae Mori H.M. Parfum and Dirty English by Juicy Couture. She went and filled new vials with these requested fragrances except Dirty English which she already have available. She also said that she would throw in extra samples. This is a welcomed change from how we're usually perceived by the sales people. We usually say that we're just looking and then go about spraying different fragrances like maniacs while almost ignoring the sales people. Hey, I get in the zone and block them out. I'm researching and they're bothering my study!

Once we were asked to conserve the test cards at a different Nordstroms and maybe think about spraying the fragrances on ourselves since we gave the impression that we're not interested in buying anything and just came to test things and waste their test strips. I brushed off her remark and barely noticed her comment until my friend pointed it out. I still didn't care. It wasn't as bad as my friend and I being told days earlier by some older female worker at Marshalls to not open any fragrances. She was accusing us of planning to open a fragrance. That kind of shocked me. My friend and I are in our early-20s and this was an insult. Then again, I bet adults are the ones that open those fragrances and not some kids. I should have asked, "Are you going to tell this to everyone?" We were hanging around that section for a bit since my friend has internet on his cell phone and was checking for reviews of B*Men at the time. That comment shocked me. Anyway, back to my Nordstrom score. Here are the samples that I got.

Requested the following:

Terre D'Hermes (Sprayed into new vial)
    Hanae Mori H.M. Parfum (Sprayed into new vial)

Friend requested:

Hugh Parsons (blue)

Willingly gave me and my friend:

Dirty English by Juicy Couture (Gave my friend this one as well)
    Gucci by Gucci
    Versace PH
    Narcisco Rodriguez

Altogether I got all of these samples:

Terre D'Hermes
    Hanae Mori H.M. Parfum
    Gucci by Gucci
    Versace PH
    Narcisco Rodriguez
    That's awesome. I do find that if you chat them up a bit and talk in details about certain fragrances they know you are serious and will help you.
    --Ben Hogan