Code of Conduct

Talking Rive gauche pour homme-my best blind buy ever.

I have just recently purchased(blind) Rive gauche pour homme.It really is an outstanding fragrance-smells like an 80s powerhouse but with an updated and modern smell.Its easy to see in its creation the influences for Rive gauche were obtained from,i can smell azzaro pour homme,a touch of tusacany,and a very slight wiff of dune pour homme.Despite these influences eminating through Rive gauche i can say it can easily stand on the shoulders of those classic 80s powerhouses with confidence and assurity.I love wearing Rive gauche,its such an enjoyable fragrance to wear and for me it is the very finest fragrance for men the late great yves saint laurent has ever created.

Default Re: Rive gauche pour homme-my best blind buy ever.

and do you also think now that it is an relative safe blind buy recommendation for someone here who looks for an versatile, classy and cool frag ?

I could buy Rive gauche after i did try it 3x and recognized that i had to try it at my skin and not at a card.
    Last edited by sanatik; 26th October 2008 at 08:52 AM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

I think if your looking for a fragrance that is classy,cool,and quite versatile then give Rive gauche a go.

the longevity of rive gauche on me lasts for over 16 hours,infact i would say its quite possibly the longest lasting fragrance i own.

a brilliant creation, I love it, sophisticated masculine, formal and elegant yet happy.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Howie.......Enjoy.....Rive Gauche rules.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to try the Rive Gauche Intense if you want to be a little bolder!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

i bought it blind also. But I can't see any association with 80 or 70's Frag. It does smell modern to me and all of my friends I asked. So it has to be in the category timeless!! It doesn't has this old powdery note like azzaro ph or jean patou ph has. Like. One said it is the levis 501 of fragrances! Timeless. And everyone can wear it from 16-99 at any daytime any any season. And it still stands out as one of the best smelling fragrances ever!! You will be shining like a star anywhere you go!
    good another one joining the RG club!

I received it as a 'blind trade' and have always been glad. I think it's more 'in the spirit' of an 80s style fragrance than a fragrance that would have actually fit in back then. Although it's never discussed, I personally like the 'RG Light' version, which allows me to enjoy RG at the office without all my coworkers having to experience it.

Thumbs up Re: Rive gauche pour homme-my best blind buy ever.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I received it as a 'blind trade' and have always been glad. I think it's more 'in the spirit' of an 80s style fragrance than a fragrance that would have actually fit in back then. Although it's never discussed, I personally like the 'RG Light' version, which allows me to enjoy RG at the office without all my coworkers having to experience it.
    I will have to give this one a shot !

As far as Rive Gauche Pour Homme being your best blind buy Howie , it is mine as well :wave: Great Choice !

On my list, plan to buy it next week.

It might belong to the group of scents designed in the 80's because of its strength, however, notes are typical of fragrance styles in line with such as Old Spice, Canoe and other scents dating from that time, of which nule longevity is a main trait - brands regarded as low quality because of this and the fact they are sold in drugstores. Thus, I guess that if you are fond of this fragrance style, it is your chance of buying a quality version of "barbershop scents", as many reviewers from the USA and the UK describe it.

As reviews in the BNFD says, it is amazing that a scent dating from 2003 could be done in line with a style that is not actually in fashion. I guess that is the reason why even though it was launched fo years ago, local stockists are not replacing it - a SA working in a big dept store told me customers prefer brands which have been recently launched through massive advertising campaigns. This leds me to think that it can be regarded as a brand suited for fragrance hobbyists.

Guys? many thanks for all your comments about the great Rive gauche.i have never tried the intense version but would love to.not sure if it is available in the uk-but i will try and search for it.i still feel that Rive gauche is ysl"s best male fragrance ever-and it just goes to show what a pioneer he was-to create a fragrance that tributes the classic 80s powerhouse"s but at the same time making the fragrance updated for the millenium.standing on the shoulders of classic powerhouse fragrances from the 1980s is what Rive gauche is all about but having its own identity.

I always appreciate coming back to this scent. So classy and smells so nice when you smell it wafting off of your skin. I love the sheer freshness of the original, and if you can handle the patchouli in Intense, get the Intense--better longevity.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Basenotes Institution

I rarely blind buy. But I also bought RGPH blind, a year or so ago, from a Basenoter. I made a good choice. Once my bottle's up I plan on owning the Extreme.

It is one of the few fragrances that I have in my too large wardrobe, that if I'm rushing late somewhere and I don't have the time to take to ponder which SOTD I'm going to wear, I just grab the RGPH and it always works.

I'm a fan of this also....and the Intense version too....It's time to get this one out of storage since the weather is turning a bit colder or I should say cooler.
    Gary

Blog Entries

great scent, and a great blind buy!

add me to the list of RGPH blind buyers.....i had it stand around for over 8 months before i began using it and now truly appreciate this straight ahead, masculine, barbershop classic
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 27th October 2008 at 04:02 AM.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Not familiar with intense or light version, but RGH is great. I got this 2 weeks ago and it's very versatile, interesting and smells great.

Love this scent, need to wear it more...

I also purchased this blind but I didn't think it was that great. It is nice and barber show. Nothing wrong with it. But overall I didn't feel that it was this over the top winner that I wanted to own.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I bought this blind in addition to YSL M7...both worked fantastically for me.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    the longevity of rive gauche on me lasts for over 16 hours,infact i would say its quite possibly the longest lasting fragrance i own.
    I second that! I too blind bought RGPH and it was truly love at first sniff. Longevity is as you stated; 'longest lasting fragrance'.
    Bravo YSL!

What is up with all these zombie RGPH threads being revived? If one of these threads starts eating the other's face, I'm outta here.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldini View Post
    What is up with all these zombie RGPH threads being revived? If one of these threads starts eating the other's face, I'm outta here.
    Funny!