Code of Conduct

Has anyone tried to find one of each perfume type that you like? I am thinking of challenging myself to find a perfume in each category that I can actually enjoy and wear. I think this would give me the greatest range to choose from and break me out of the 'buy what you already like' easy road, especially since I do not own many yet and can easily direct myself into this quest.

Here is what I own:

Armani Mania for Women (gift, nondescript but nice)
    Betsey Johnson Parfum (bought because it was cheap, reminded me of HanaeMori and puts me in a holiday mood)
    Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge (blind buy - like it pretty well)
    Laila (love it! I am told it "so" me)
    Miracle (gift, nondescript but nice)
    Omnia Crystalline (blind buy - inoffensive for work)

Now, here are what I am thinking are the various categories. Let me know if I have missed any or made any mistakes:

* Floral (Floral + Fresh Notes). Main notes include fresh-cut flowers.
    Mania would fall here, it is categorized as a Floral - Woody Musk.
    Miracle would go here, as it is a Floral - Carnation.

* Soft Floral (Floral Notes). Main notes include aldehydes and powdery notes.
    Poussierre by Parfums de Rosine would fall in this category. I do not own it yet... maybe for Christmas.

* Floral Fruity (Floral + Fruit Notes).
    Tracy by Ellen Tracy - I have not tested it yet, but thanks to Tang and the Pink Bottle Contest, I now have a perfume in this category!

* Floral Oriental (Floral + Oriental Notes). Main notes include orange blossom and sweet spices.

* Soft Oriental (Oriental + Floral Notes). Main notes include incense and amber.

* Oriental (Oriental Notes). Main notes include oriental resins and vanilla.

* Woody Oriental (Oriental + Woody Notes). Main notes include sandalwood and patchouli.
    Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge goes here, as it is a Oriental - Woody.

* Woods Main notes include aromatic woods and vetiver.

* Mossy Woods (Woody + Oriental Notes). Main notes include oakmoss and amber.

* Dry Woods (Woody Notes). Main notes include dry woods and leather.

* Citrus (Woody + Fresh Notes). Main notes include bergamot and citrus oils.
    Peace Comes From Within would fall here. I do not own it yet, but liked it and hope to order it eventually unless I find another I like better.

* Fruity
    I would put Betsy Johnson here, as it is a Floral - Fruity.
    I am guessing Laila goes here, as it is a Floral-Fruity... but could also go under Floral.

* Green (Fresh Notes). Main notes include galbanum and green notes.

* Water (Fresh + Floral Notes). Main notes include marine and aquatic notes.
    Omnia Crystaline goes here, as it is a Floral - Aquatic.

* Fougère - The universal fragrance family whose scent includes elements from different families: the freshness of from the Citrus family, floral notes of lavender, the spicy-sweetness of a Floral Oriental, the ambery depth of an Oriental and the Mossy Woods warmth of sandalwood and oakmoss.
    Belle en Rykiel - Moved to Fougere, as I know I can find another oriental that I like, never even heard of Fougere before coming here!

*aldehydic (thanks Wordbird). Any perfume with a strong Aldehydes note.

*leather (thanks Wordbird). Any perfume with a strong leather note.

*gourmand (thanks lilybelle). Any perfume that has decidedly foody notes.
    Betsey Johnson Parfum can also go here, since it has vanilla and praline notes.

I took the categories from the fragrance wheel by Michael Edwards. I know that there may be a category that is just impossible to like, but I can try!

Thoughts?
    Last edited by mamamia; 3rd November 2008 at 11:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Finding one of each perfume type that you like...

What a good idea, Mamamia.
    I'd add 'leather' to your list, if only because it has been a revelation to me and I now love leathers.
    Perhaps also 'aldehydic' since that's quite a wide category too and it includes some interesting scents.
    This idea of trying new things and stretching our noses (metaphorically) is on of the nicest things about the Sniff and Speak days - often it's the ones that you have to struggle to find a sample to wear that are the most interesting and lead to great new discoveries. (Who'd have guessed Lolita Lempicka for Men was so great on a woman?)

As well as thinking about Nukapia's thread, I shall think about this one too, as I have been collecting for a while and I'll see if I can put my own list together of my favourites in each category.

I wonder if anyone else will join this quest? I really hope so. It would be fascinating to see how different members tastes work across the different categories - for example, I know my mate Quarry is a Green girl, while I'm a gourmandy orientaly sort of bird. Makes life much more fun!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Post Thanks / Like

I'll join the quest. This is something I'm interested in doing, too. My goal is a small wardrobe of my favorite of various types of fragrances, though I'm still very much in the sampling phase. I'll be mulling this over. I tend to be rather scattered in my scent sampling and purchasing, but I'm beginning to take interest in a more directed approach. I would add a gourmand category for myself, as there are times when I really crave sweet/spicy/foody scents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've thought about this, and one difficulty is how subjective fragrances are on the skin, especially the floral scents. Something may smell "soft floral" to one person and "fruity floral" to another. I can't think of any aldehydes that smell "soft" for the first couple of hours! I am keen on having one gourmand scent, and will likely be getting a bottle of Daim Blond soon, as the apricot and spices combine to a gourmand-y feel on me. But then there's the incredible suede note that wants to nudge it toward leather; however, others have pointed out that it is clearly a suede not leather note, and the difference is striking. Michael Edwards classifies it a "DRY WOODS Classical" scent, but goes on to say, "[it is] a fragrance whose soul reveals its true nature in an array of leather splendor. Ethereal leather." <sigh>

I also like the Haarman & Reimer fragrance poster, which places J'adore squarely in the fruity floral category, but Michael Edwards says, "FLORAL Fresh Citrus fruity." There are minor classification discrepancies between ME, H&R, Fragrantica, Osmoz, and probably others. I find it challenging to choose a classification for the many perfumes that seem to fall on the border or contain many facets (Chanel Allure, anyone?). And if you think the 17 categories listed in mamamia's initial post aren't enough, here are the Société Française des Parfumeurs forty-five classifications of scent. Here also is an English translation (a little choppy, but one should be able to figure it out).

I've decided to choose and organize my wardrobe based on occasion-- season, weather, mood, time of day, event. This might seem even more murky than sincere attempts at putting a round peg in a round hole and calling a spade a spade, but I think it is what will work best for me.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I'm pretty sure I have fragrances from most if not all of the categories that I enjoy. The category I most recently acquired and love is the Fougère, with my acquisition of Belle en Rykiel. I'll have to think about what my favorites are in each category.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a great idea -- namely to always be open to new things, to challenge one's preconceived notions, to deliberately find ways to learn and grow.
    At the same time, I honestly find that there are certain things I just don't like. Vanilla being one. (I love vanilla in baking, just can't stand it as a fragrance on my skin.) Ozonic notes also leave me cold -- they always smell "cooked up" in some laboratory.
    So I'm on the horns of a dilemma -- something I need to think about, and learn about myself.
    (a) Open to new experiences, change, growth, movement
    (b) "To thine own self be true" which implies a centre, a fixed point.

Hah -- the modern dilemma. Of course the sensible answer is a + b. The q is just how to negotiate that.
    Lotsa rambling here. So I thank you for your post, it has definitely pushed a hot-button issue for me.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have fragrances from most if not all of the categories that I enjoy. The category I most recently acquired and love is the Fougère, with my acquisition of Belle en Rykiel. I'll have to think about what my favorites are in each category.
    You would put it into the Fougere category? I thought it would be straight up Oriental... ?

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia View Post
    You would put it into the Fougere category? I thought it would be straight up Oriental... ?
    Look at the definition of Fougère: The universal fragrance family whose scent includes elements from different families: the freshness of from the Citrus family, floral notes of lavender, the spicy-sweetness of a Floral Oriental, the ambery depth of an Oriental and the Mossy Woods warmth of sandalwood and oakmoss. I think Belle en Rykiel has enough of these elements that it fits the description, in fact its the only feminine I know that does. Of course you can categorize it according to how you perceive it. For example, I'm listing Beyond Paradise as my favorite "aquatic" - its not just aquatic of course, but its my favorite (at the moment) with aquatic notes.

My favorites (at the moment!)

Floral - Odalisque
    Soft Floral – Calandre
    Floral Oriental - Nahema
    Soft Oriental - Chanel Coco
    Oriental - Must de Cartier
    Woody Oriental - Bois des Iles
    Woods - Ormonde Woman
    Mossy Woods - Mitsouko
    Dry Woods - Aromatics Elixir
    Citrus - Bvlgari Eau Parfumee
    Fruity - Juste un Reve
    Green - Private Collection
    Water - Beyond Paradise
    Fougère - Belle en Rykiel
    Leather - Rykiel Woman
    Gourmand - Lolita Lempicka

Floral - Sa Majeste la Rose, or Amoureuse
    Soft Floral – Chanel no. 5, or Ta'if
    Floral Oriental - Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens
    Soft Oriental - Vamp
    Oriental - Madame X, or Jasmin Impeatrice Eugenie
    Woody Oriental - Ambre Sultan or Divine L'Inspiratrice
    Woods - Bois de Violette
    Mossy Woods - Mitsouko or Ormonde Woman
    Dry Woods - Bandit or Paestum Rose
    Citrus - Habit Rouge
    Fruity - Bois de Paradis, Attrape Couer (its the peaches)
    Green - Chanel no. 19, Eau de Camille
    Water - New York (PdN)
    Fougère - Jicky or Third Man
    Leather - Cuir de Russie (Chanel) or Tabac Blond parfum, Daim Blond is also good
    Gourmand - Love's True Bluish Light, or Musc Ravageur
    Salty - Dans Tes Bras
    Incense - Sacrebleu, Parfum Sacre
    Last edited by rtamara41; 4th November 2008 at 12:20 AM. Reason: thought of a few more
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia View Post
    Has anyone tried to find one of each perfume type that you like? I am thinking of challenging myself to find a perfume in each category that I can actually enjoy and wear.
    I had to think about this one for a while. Initially, I saw that some people had favorite scents from every category, and I thought I could never be one of those people. Why? Because I always kind of pictured myself as someone who hates florals. Well, sample enough of them, and I find that I do like some florals. I also didn't think I'd like any leathers, but again, I found myself liking something leathery. It's crazy!

But I love it!

So, now, I can actually say I have favorites in four categories, whereas before I only had ones in the foody or oriental category.

Spicy = Rose 31 (but is it floral, too?)
    Floral = Prowl (but is it musky too?)
    Fruity = Woodland Strawberries (but maybe it's more woody than fruity)
    Leather = Bandit EdT (but it's kind of sweet/foody too!)

Now, my problem is can I really categorize them as one thing, because really, they're combos of things?

Post Thanks / Like

My ambition is definitely to accumulate an all-purpose multi-fragrance wardrobe at some point, though I'm terribly indecisive.

To use citrus as an example, it took me ages to decide between Caron's L'Anarchiste, FM's Citrus Bigarrade and CdG's Anbar. I eventually went for L'Anarchiste, but only because I find Citrus Bigarrade only smells good on me above 20C, and Victoria has a cool and rainy climate. If I lived in some place hot, I would have chosen differently.

Yet despite this, when warm weather hits again I'll probably sample a ton of Eau de Colognes and see if something catches my fancy. Call me fickle.

I'm still looking for my Holy Grail leather fragrance, though I've found some loves along the way. Every time I read a gushing review of a masculine leather I get the "Oh, I just HAVE to sample that even if a bottle is totally out of my financial league," impulse.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree about the subjectivity of classifications.

Ellen Tracy Tracy is NOT a classical example of a Floriental fragrance. It is more like fruity floral (plum plus white flowers), somewhat pretty nontheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Agree about the subjectivity of classifications.

Ellen Tracy Tracy is NOT a classical example of a Floriental fragrance. It is more like fruity floral (plum plus white flowers), somewhat pretty nontheless.
    Really? I took the classifications from Osmoz. But I can recategorize.

Great categories and great thread mamamia.

hmmm. Perhaps I can edit and pare down my collection to cover my favourites within these categories and I can be all set and don't have to buy anymore. NOT!

I'll respond with my faves later on today. Rushing off to work now.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You're thinkin' the way I think, mamamia. I strive to plug a favorite into each category and then keep trying to trump the the current lead with a new find. Ain't it great how this hobby never has to get boring?

Post Thanks / Like

Not even sure I've got my "types" right, and I know I'm forgetting some of my favorites, but here goes...

Floral - Neil Morris Fragrances Storm, Paloma Picasso Mon Parfum
    Soft Floral – Rosa Flamenca, Sonoma Scent Studio Velvet Rose
    Floral Oriental - Cedre, Rose D'Homme, Poivre
    Soft Oriental - Fissore Cashmere
    Oriental - Coco, Opium, Parfums Historique Georges Sands
    Woody Oriental - Guerlain Bois d'Armenie, Borneo 1849, Ava Luxe Sweet Amber Wood
    Woods - Profumum Santalum, Un Bois de Sepia, Sonoma Scent Studio Bois Epices
    Mossy Woods - Moss Breches, Neil Morris Fragrances Dark Earth
    Dry Woods - Different Company Sens et Bois, Santal Noble
    Citrus - 4711 (yes, 4711)
    Fruity - Guerlain Parure
    Green - Molinard de Molinard, Hermes Vetiver Tonka, Ivoire de Balmain
    Water - Neil Morris Fragrances Midnight Sea
    Fougère - Encens et Lavande, Eau Illuminee
    Leather - Scandal, Vero Kern Onda, Tabac Blond, Knize Ten, Parfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris
    Gourmand - Bond No. 9 New Haarlem, Possets Gingerbread Crackhouse
    Amber - Profumum Fiore d'Ambre, Ambre Sultan, Ambre Precieux
    Musk - Musk Ghazelle, Kiehl's Original Musk, Musc Kublai Kahn
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

This is an interesting exercise. At this moment, here are my top fragrances in each category. I changed the categories a little bit to suit myself.

Rose Floral – Frederic Malle Une Rose, Parfums de Rosine Ecume de Rose
    Light Purple Floral – Frederic Malle En Passant
    Dark Purple Floral – The Different Company Bois d'Iris, Miller Harris Terre d'Iris, Ava Luxe Midnight Violet
    White Floral – Estee Lauder Tuberose & Gardenia
    Tropical Floral – Saffron James 'Ume, Punono, Le'a, Nani
    Woody Floral – Keiko Mecheri Genie des Bois, Gres Cabaret
    Floral Oriental – Boucheron Boucheron or Miller Harris Fleur Oriental
    Fruity Oriental – Mauboussin Mauboussin
    Big Oriental – Ormonde Jayne Ta'if
    Forest/Woods – Ormonde Jayne Woman
    Citrus – The Different Company Divine Bergamote
    Fresh – Cartier Eau de Cartier
    Green – Diptyque Philosykos
    Leather – Parfumerie Generale Oiseau de Nuit
    Spice – L'Artisan Safran Troublant
    Gourmand – Parfumerie Generale Aomassai
    Tea – Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan
    Salt – Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel
    Incense – The Different Company Un Parfum des Sens et Bois, L'Artisan Dzonghka, L'Artisan Timbuktu
    Musk – Sonoma Scent Studio Opal, Lea St. Barth Lea
    Amber – Montale Blue Amber, L'Artisan Ambre Extreme
    Vetiver – The Different Company Sel de Vetiver
    Novelty – Bulgari Black, L'Artisan Dzing

Of course, these lists are always subject to change. I hope to add Aquatic and Fougere when I have more experience! Also, my ideal would be to have two in each category – one for warm weather and one for cool weather.
    Last edited by Haunani; 15th December 2008 at 05:03 AM. Reason: New favorites!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    You're thinkin' the way I think, mamamia. I strive to plug a favorite into each category and then keep trying to trump the the current lead with a new find. Ain't it great how this hobby never has to get boring?
    Exactly! I cannot say it better.

I love these threads because it helps me find my "twins" & "cousins", etc. so I know where to direct my need to enable. I'll give this a try:

Floral - Saffron James Nani, Saffron James 'Ume, Kai
    Soft Floral – Malle En Passant, Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia
    Floral Oriental - Lumar Aphrodisiac, Juliette Has a Gun Lady Vengeance
    Soft Oriental - Susanne Lang Midnight Orchid, Armani Code
    Oriental - Carthusia Ligea La Sirena
    Woody Oriental - Dior Hypnotic Poison, Tocca Cleopatra
    Woods - Chanel Bois des Iles, Estee Lauder Sensuous
    Mossy Woods - Narciso Rodriguez For Her edp, Sage Machado Pearl
    Dry Woods - POTL Luctor et Emergo, Tauer L'air du dessert marocain
    Citrus - Jo Malone Orange Blossom, Apothia If
    Fruity - L'Artisan Ananas Fizz, Profumi di Pantelleria Nica,Penhaligon's Artemisia
    Green - L'Artisan L'ete en douce, DelRae Amoureuse (base is very green)
    Water - Antonia's Flowers Sogni del Mare, CSP Aqua Motu, Mazzolari Marina
    Fougère - Tauer Reverie au jardin
    Leather - Lubin Idole
    Gourmand - Carnival Wax Sugarwitch, Sinfonia di Note Amande Sucree
    Salty - Different Company Sel de Vetiver
    Incense - Michael Kors, Hors la Monde Shiloh, Comme des Garcons Ouarzazate
    Musk - Sarah Horowitz Perfect Veil, Mûre et Musc Extrême
    Aldehyde: No. 5 Eau Premiere, Clinique Wrappings
    Last edited by Tovah; 6th November 2008 at 03:46 AM.

Floral - Carnal Flower, En Passant, Fleur de Cassie
    Soft Floral – La Chasse, Ensoleille Moi, Chantecaille Frangipane
    Floral Oriental - Guet Apens
    Soft Oriental - Shalimar Eau Legere
    Oriental - Profumum Confetto (chewy, spicy Oriental), Hypnotic Poison
    Woody Oriental - Borneo 1849
    Woods - Profumum Alba
    Mossy Woods - Sous le Vent
    Dry Woods - Padparadscha, Idole de Lubin (this is not my favorite category)
    Fruity - Bare Escentuals Escentual (discontinued), Delices de Cartier EdP
    Green - No. 19, Heure Exquise, Givenchy III
    Water - REM
    Fougère - Encens et Lavande, Jicky (PdT), Belle en Rykiel
    Leather - Tabac Blond, Cuir Beluga (this is a bit of a cheat; the scent is largely vanilla on me)
    Gourmand - Amour de Cacao (YOU BETCHA!), Iris Ganache, Profumum Dulcis in Fundo
    Amber - Ambre Sultan, Laura Mercier Amber
    Musk - Clair de Musc (the softer the better; I am reeling from cheap 1970s white musks), MKK

Where does Chypre Rouge go? RESINOUS GOURMAND? How does one find the confluence of pecans and pine? And what of the mish-mash that can be Bond No. 9? Just what is Coney Island? GIDDILY DRUNKEN GOURMAND? (To which we can add many BPAL scents.)

I am going to add the category of FABULOUS BEASTS. The beast does not refer to animalic notes, but more towards anomalies, like Coney Island above and also, I would argue, Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    I love these threads because it helps me find my "twins" & "cousins", etc. so I know where to direct my need to enable.
    So true! It's really interesting to see where we collide with others, and where we differ. There are so many fragrances I've yet to try, and yet I'm already indulging the urge to share the ones I love.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Where does Chypre Rouge go? RESINOUS GOURMAND? How does one find the confluence of pecans and pine? And what of the mish-mash that can be Bond No. 9? Just what is Coney Island? GIDDILY DRUNKEN GOURMAND? (To which we can add many BPAL scents.) I am going to add the category of FABULOUS BEASTS. The beast does not refer to animalic notes, but more towards anomalies, like Coney Island above and also, I would argue, Angel.
    LOL, Orion!!! That's why I put "Novelty" as one of my categories when I didn't know what to do with Bulgari Black. But your labels are waaaaay better!
    Last edited by Haunani; 6th November 2008 at 04:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Floral - Sa majeste la rose,Fracas
    Soft Floral – Bois d'iris
    Floral Oriental - Crystal Noir,L'heure bleue.
    Soft Oriental - Trouble
    Oriental - Coco,Madame X
    Woody Oriental - Le baiser du dragon,Feminite du bois
    Woods - Chene
    Mossy Woods - Mitsouko
    Dry Woods - Aromatics Elexir maybe
    Fruity - Not my favourite family...but maybe Nahema would fit into this cathegory.
    Citrus:?
    Green - L'ombre dans l'eau
    Water - Eau de Merveilles
    Fougère - Jicky
    Leather - Cuir de russie
    Gourmand - Musc Ravageur.Hypnotic Poison.
    Amber - Chergui
    Musk - Narciso Rodriguez and Rasa.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 6th November 2008 at 10:08 AM.