Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which one of the Colonia line do you prefer?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colonia (the original)

20 35.71%
  • Colonia Assoluta

19 33.93%
  • Colonia Intensa

17 30.36%

Default Acqua di Parma Colonia, which one?

And why?

PS: I know there have been many threads on this before, but no polls so far!

Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia, which one?

Assoluta, of course.

Why ?

Because it s simply way more elegant and complex than the other ones.
    imo you can forget the original one, because of its poor longevity and sillage.
    Intensa is nice but way too common and simple for what i m looking for in a fragrance.

Assoluta is very nice .
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

I find to the original to be a perfect scent - the composition, the ingredient quality, the balance, there's simply nothing to add. Assoluta & Intensa are OK, but much less satisfying. Still better than the overly synthetic Mediterraneo stuff, though.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia, which one?

The original, speaks of a different place, and time. They seem to have captured pure class in a bottle. Perfect accords top to bottom. Nothing, not a single note is out of place. IMHO
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Assoluta.

1. I don't know the original
    2. I don't like Intensa
    3. I have Assoluta and I'm completetely satisfied with it.
    Last edited by Sandy; 26th October 2008 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    The original, speaks of a different place, and time. They seem to have captured pure class in a bottle. Perfect accords top to bottom. Nothing, not a single note is out of place. IMHO
    Exactly. I cannot judge AsD C objectively, without thinking about its history.

Can't go wrong with any it's a subjective thing. Assoluta for me.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Assoluta all day everyday....

I've tried them all and Intensa is the best for me. I use the after shave of the original though. I enjoy the Intensa scent and aura much better than the other two (and got loads of compliments today when I wore it! )
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Hate to be the lone dissenter but I've tried all three and the best word I can come up with for them is "classic". I personally don't find anything modern about any. I'm not saying they're bad or wouldn't call them "old man" scents, but I find them a variation of many, many citrus type scents I've tried over the years. My preference is for more up to date "today" scents and doubt I would wear any of these even if I was given a bottle.

Again, I think they're very well made and have a lot of respect for AdP as a perfumer, but these are just not to my liking.

No poll on this already? Gee, I coulda sworn...

Assoluta for me. Colonia is perfectly acceptable, but there are other citrus fragrances that I like better. It's been too long since I tried Intensa for me to give specifics on it; all I recall is that I liked Assoluta much better. As Ziffy321 said, none of the three could be accused of being 'modern' scents, not by a long shot.

Sorry I'm not more objective on this one. But I do know one thing: I love Assoluta and wear it often.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 27th October 2008 at 12:46 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Assoluta for me also.....Gary

I just know the original, which I like verymuch, and the intense, which is good but it shouldn't wear the colonia tag since it's no intense version of the classic cologne formula but something else alltogether. I would rather describe it as a aromatic. Going to try the assoluta today!

The Assoluta is a very fine colonia classica. But there have been so many others of equal quality in the past that I consider this newer one as almost redundant.

It's the addition of rosa damascena which raises Acqua di Parma Colonia beyond the usual level of a colonia classica. I think it's a stunner among Italian fragrances, but the riddle was solved for me when I learned that this was originally created by an Englishman living in Italy. The cologne also has a vicinity to traditional rose waters, and I recommend for fans of the (original) ADP Colonia to also try Sanrta Maria Novella's 'Rose' a light cologne that serves the same purpose by reversed emphasis: here we have sweet citrus notes added to rosa centifolia which is lighter than damascena. I happen to prefer the combination to the one in ADP's Colonia, but both are impressive indeed!

(I cannot comment on the Intensa.)
    Last edited by narcus; 27th October 2008 at 06:59 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Narcus, thanks for the excellent insight into the AdP colonia lineage. I'm sure I'm not the only one who misses your posts.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Well, the even split among the three imdicates how well LVMH knows how to cover a market.
    Narcus, do you know anything more about this English originator of AdP?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I smelled them all on my wrist and i dont get the hype..i just smell soap that you get in hotelrooms, had to wash it off cause it was making me gag. After all the good things i heard about these colognes on this board i almost did a blind buy, good thing i found a store were i could test them out first..

Its in my top 3 worst colognes ever.
    The critic has to educate the public; the artist has to educate the critic.

I have only tried the Colonia, so I did not vote in the poll.

In view of the relatively close distribution of votes, I want to try Assoluta and Intensa too.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I've tried them all and Intensa is the best for me. I use the after shave of the original though. I enjoy the Intensa scent and aura much better than the other two (and got loads of compliments today when I wore it! )
    I got with Intensa too. I think Intensa has a little more oomph to it than the others.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Tried the colonia and the assoluta today. This has been 6 hours (and one shower) since. Assoluta on my left and Colonia on my right wrist. I detect a slight vetiver based drydown on my left and on my right, this can't be, this smells very much like the drydown of Kouros to me. Is there any civet in there?

The original.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 27th October 2008 at 04:02 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    ...Narcus, do you know anything more about this English originator of AdP?
    From the start I had been suspicious of the fact that a new perfume brand came up with two products that were said to have been in existence since 1919 (Colonia) or 1932 (Profumo). Nobody I knew seemed to have heard of their existence before 2004/05, but there were Hollywood movie stars mentioned to have worn them (we all know the pattern from Muelhens, Creed, Parfums d'Empire, and others). That's when I began googling for ADP, and I think I came across statements made by an Italian who had been involved with ADP before some previous owners went out of business. I may even have posted about that, but my own records of 2003 - 2005 are unfortunately no longer complete. But BN member Nacht reports essentially the same core facts (plus a whole lot more) in his review of ADP Colonia (it's just above your own, TGL):

<< As for the fragrance's history... Several years ago I became acquainted with an ex-employee of italian firm "Magnani Glans", the last brand's owner before Luca Cordero de Montezzemolo and Diego Dalla Valle. He told me, that the fragrance was composed by an englishman, named Rose (I'm not sure for his surname spelling), who lived in Parma that time. He made two fragrances: "Style" for the italian market and "Acqua di Parma" as an export product. The local perfumes factory "Adams" was the manufacturer. At early 70's "Magnani Glans" went broke eng sig. Luigi Magnani sold the brand to the shirt factory, named "Pizzarotti", who continued to produce "Acqua di Parma" till late 70's. Ultimately the name was bought by two friends and successful brand developers L.C. De Mentezzemolo ("Ferrari") and Diega Dalla Valle ("Tod's")>> -30 April 2007

Interestingly enough, Turin mentions an Edwardian feel in his own review of the original Colonia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Narcus, thanks for the excellent insight into the AdP colonia lineage. I'm sure I'm not the only one who misses your posts.
    Thank you for the flowers, Snafoo, they are lovely ! By the way, I am not retiring yet. It's just that I am sometimes tired of hearing myself on the same old subjects again and again. Some of the initial enthusiasm comes back after taking occasional breaks. A BN age of five years (lurking included) is rare now, because many old friends have left for good by then. I don't want to leave for any of the sad reasons we heard from others. Being dismissed would even be worse. So maybe I'll die the slow death of boredom !
    Congrats to your thousandst post, Snafoo!
    Last edited by narcus; 28th October 2008 at 10:10 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Smile Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia, which one?

Assoluta

Im a strong supporter of Intensa.
    Though the Assoluta body products are phenomenal.