Code of Conduct

Thread: Black Orchid

Default Black Orchid

Just bought my first women's fragrance, Black Orchid, for myself. To me, this does not smell very feminine and is a unisex. However, every online retailer that I encountered categorizes it as a women's scent.

I like having this women's scent because I am going to make a few decants and give them to my ladyfriend so we can coordinate how we smell. LOL. You guys ever do this?

Default Re: Black Orchid

It's in my top ten and I definately considered it unisex. IMHO.

I gave it a wearing a while back and have been hunting it since and, simply put, it smells pretty damn masculine. It opens up with an almost mediceny/cough syrup sweetness but that quickly disappears and begins to get much much better.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 21st October 2008 at 06:23 PM.

Youre definitely not the first male BNer to sing Black Orchid's praises... heres a related link:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ack+orchid+men

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 21st October 2008 at 06:52 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Welcome to the Black Orchid Appreciation Club.

I was at a charity fundraiser a couple weeks ago, and an adorable and well dressed young man was wearing this and its such a strong and recognizable scent, his whole table smelled of it when you approached it. I rarely come up on someone wearing it, and it made me fall in love with the scent all over again.

I no longer have it in my wardrobe, so currently I am hunting for (at a good price since it's $45 retail) the Cleansing Oil. Bascially it's like a soapy oil based shower gel. The SA at Neimans says that when he showers with it, it leaves his skin so heavily scented he doesn't need to use the fragrance. This had me intrigued, so I think this will be my next version of Black Orchid my wardrobe.

Oh and a kind soul sent me some Black Orchid perfume (extrait) as a sample - that I am waiting for a special occasion to test. I can't wait!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st October 2008 at 08:44 PM.

I have a bottle and enjoy it quite a bit as well. I don't find myself wearing it terribly often, but I definitely reach for it regularly to just smell. It's great stuff! It's certainly unique and like nothing else I have. I tried it for the first time from a Neiman SA that told me that it was only marketed to women but that it was absolutely wearable by men. I think they're removing it from the 'for women' frame of mind anyways.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I thought the florals and fruit were a bit lush in the beginning, but for the most part, it definitely has overt masculine notes at the bottom. Lots of vanilla to go along with it as a comfort scent for me.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I thought the same about most of Tom Ford's Private Blend Line. Noir de Noir, Japon Noir, Black Violet, etc etc...all very wearable by a man, and I'm the type to be careful of gender associations. Now if Black Orchid lasted more than ten minutes, I'd be styling.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Now if Black Orchid lasted more than ten minutes, I'd be styling.
    TNMA
    I seem to can't get Black Orchid to quiet down after 6 hours. A small spritz the size of a dime goes on and on for me.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I find it to be really tenacious, too. IMO: "A little dab will do ya."

I like the smell of many "traditionally" female notes e.g. violet, iris, orange blossom. I bought my wife NR for Her & AdP Iris Nobile (spelling), I find both to be beautiful and would happily wear them.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

I love it as well. Feel totally confortable when wearing it.

Also it lasts well for me as well.

Not as beautiful as Carnal Flower, but a great one for sure.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

You guys are killing me. A few weeks ago, I went out seeking a sample of Black Orchid. My first stop at Neiman Marcus, did not yeild me the female Black Orchid that I so desired, but the "brand new", Men's version, which I did not particularly care for. It seemed weak, and common. I eventually ended up trying the female version in Nordstrom's and instantly dismissed it as weird and feminine. But all of this praise has put it back on my radar, and now I want to get a sample so that I can give it its own time and not make a rush decision.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    You guys are killing me. A few weeks ago, I went out seeking a sample of Black Orchid. My first stop at Neiman Marcus, did not yeild me the female Black Orchid that I so desired, but the "brand new", Men's version, which I did not particularly care for. It seemed weak, and common. I eventually ended up trying the female version in Nordstrom's and instantly dismissed it as weird and feminine. But all of this praise has put it back on my radar, and now I want to get a sample so that I can give it its own time and not make a rush decision.
    They have a men's version??? Sure it wasn't Tom Ford for men, which has almost the same bottle as Black Orchid? (http://www.barneys.com/Fragrance/FRA...d%20Fragrances)
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 22nd October 2008 at 05:49 PM.

Two sprays is plenty. That did me just fine the other day. Any more and I would have smothered in it.

Count me as another Black Orchid fan. Incredibly sensuous and tropical, with a gourmand twist. Looking through the BN reviews, it seems like everyone reports a new note or two - chocolate, coffee, slightly rotten flowers, truffles, vanilla - the list goes on. I believe this is a hallmark of a great fragrance, sort of a Rorschach test for the nose. It's way feminine on me, which limits my use of it, but I had to have it in my collection.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 22nd October 2008 at 08:08 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    They have a men's version??? Sure it wasn't Tom Ford for men, which has almost the same bottle as Black Orchid? (http://www.barneys.com/Fragrance/FRA...d%20Fragrances)
    I was quite surprised too. I am well aware of both the Tom Ford for men and Extreme versions and he seemed very knowledgeable emphasizing that this was new. It was in the same bottle as the Tom Ford men's line. I remember reading a while ago somewhere that there was a planned Black Orchid for Men which caused some to raise eyebrows considering how many men already wear the women's version. Unfortunately I have no other info on it but from smelling it, I'm pretty sure that it was different than the regular Tom Ford for Men. I'm at work right now, but when I get home I'll give a call to Neiman Marcus to see what's up and post the info here afterwards.

So, I just got off the phone with my local Neiman Marcus and heres what they had to say about the Male/Female Black Orchid dilemma. She informed that yes infact there is a Male Black Orchid that has not been officially released yet. They have the tester in and it is available for pre-order so that may be why it can't be found online yet, but yes if anyone wants to know there is a Male Black Orchid and you can probably test it out at your Neiman Marcus.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    So, I just got off the phone with my local Neiman Marcus and heres what they had to say about the Male/Female Black Orchid dilemma. She informed that yes infact there is a Male Black Orchid that has not been officially released yet. They have the tester in and it is available for pre-order so that may be why it can't be found online yet, but yes if anyone wants to know there is a Male Black Orchid and you can probably test it out at your Neiman Marcus.
    Wow, really cool. Thank you for the excellent follow-up.

Morning Star

If there is a male version coming out, I'll be very interested in trying it. I'm a little upset that Tom Ford For Men Extreme can no longer be found in any of the department stores, since I like it quite a bit more than Tom Ford For Men. I did find Black Orchid to be a little too strong and floral for me, and would not feel comfortable wearing it in an office setting. But then I often work in an overly testosterone-charged environment, so my comments need to be taken with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 22nd October 2008 at 11:03 PM.

Guys if you have access to a Neiman Marcus I highly recommend giving them a call to see if they, too, have the tester available. It may have been my nose being tired that day but I distinctly remember being disappointed in how weak it was. It may be something I need to retry though.

Basenotes Institution

Very interesting. Thanks for the heads up mtgprox05!

Sorry, I am ariving late to the Tom Ford party. I just ordered my sample two days ago....

But this new TF BO... is it the same as Black Orchid Voile de Fleur?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Sorry, I am ariving late to the Tom Ford party. I just ordered my sample two days ago....

But this new TF BO... is it the same as Black Orchid Voile de Fleur?
    No.

There is Black Orchid, which is the subject of this thread. Then there's Black Orchid Voile de Fleur, which is a leaner BO, with a huge white floral note stuck in the middle. And now, apparently, there's Black Orchid for Men, which is mentioned above. Oh...and there's Black Orchid perfume also, which was only ever released as a limited edition (Lalique bottle, etc).

Do anybody detect any similarities between BO & Opium (ladies)? I do and have been tempted to get one or the other. Also, can anybody enlighten me on the differences on the various BOs?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    No.

There is Black Orchid, which is the subject of this thread. Then there's Black Orchid Voile de Fleur, which is a leaner BO, with a huge white floral note stuck in the middle. And now, apparently, there's Black Orchid for Men, which is mentioned above. Oh...and there's Black Orchid perfume also, which was only ever released as a limited edition (Lalique bottle, etc).
    Thanks for the response Mike. I did see the perfume... waay too expensive for me

Did anyone ever get an almost cough mediceny note in opening of BO, almost surepy?

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I'm a little upset that Tom Ford For Men Extreme can no longer be found in any of the department stores, since I like it quite a bit more than Tom Ford For Men.
    I gotta agree with you, I prefer the extreme version. It has not been discontinued. It might be a little hard to find but Saks does have it online.

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...=1224742173993

My Tom Ford SA suspects its been reformulated. He said "they lessed the stink" and went on to explain that he didn't care for it originally. But that he noticed the new one was more agreeable. I was not able to notice a difference. If they did tweak it, not much was changed.

back on topic:

When I spoke to my TF SA he hadn't heard of a male Black Orchid but that he will ask his boss about it.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I'm a little upset that Tom Ford For Men Extreme can no longer be found in any of the department stores, since I like it quite a bit more than Tom Ford For Men.
    I gotta agree with you, I prefer the extreme version. It has not been discontinued. It might be a little hard to find but Saks does have it online.

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...=1224742173993
    There goes Ben Franklin again, walking away from me ...
    Sorry to take it off topic again. My bad.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 23rd October 2008 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    back on topic:

When I spoke to my TF SA he hadn't heard of a male Black Orchid but that he will ask his boss about it.
    Yea, definitely try to follow up with him. I think it was on a review on one of the perfume blogs that mentioned the proposed men's version so I'm not completely off base. I wish I had more info but I live an hour away from the Neiman Marcus, so all I can do is call.

Got my 30ML bottle today in the mail from a fellow BN'er, ummmm this is amazing! Going to wear it Sat night. It is really strong, much more than I remember.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 24th October 2008 at 08:54 PM.

UPDATE: Wore BO on Friday evening and as I was entering my GF’s apartment community this guy opened the door for me and stated “Man, that cologne smells good gotta get me some of that.” Also, the GF liked BO a lot on me. I told her that it was unisex so when we got up Sat. she put some on her skin bc I was curious to see how it smelled on her. Suprisingly, it did not smell feminine on her whatsoever. She even stated that she would not wear it bc it was not feminine enough. This pleased me and made me less worried about this whole dude buying women’s perfume idea. Guys it's safe, so don't worry. LOL.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 27th October 2008 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Guys it's safe, so don't worry. LOL.
    LOL! I dont think many of us are TheAttorney!
    Im pleased you too have joined the Men's Black Orchid Glee Club.