Code of Conduct

Default Borneo 1834 at Barneys

I got the Barneys catalogue today and the new Serge is Borneo 1834. Great news!

Default Re: Borneo 1834 at Barneys

Great news for some not so great for others.... now I have to decide between a bottle of Borneo 1834 or Serge Noire.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I decided to have someone ship a bottle of B1834 from Europe and when I told my SA at my favorite Barney's, she was most upset! She wanted me to cancel my order because I had to get it from her. I'd been asking about it for months with "we'll never get it" as the response even though I knew it wasn't true so that's how the cards fall I guess.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

It just went straight to the top of my Christmas list, thanks for the heads-up tmp00!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Great news for some not so great for others.... now I have to decide between a bottle of Borneo 1834 or Serge Noire.
    This was the 1st thought that popped into my head too.

My solution: I'm getting both.

I'm not super impressed with my Serge Noir sample, but I have a feeling I'll be in the minority on this.

RE the Borneo, what is the item # in the Barney's catalogue? It's not on their website yet and I'm pretty anxious to get my hands on a bottle.

bbBD re the B1834: just type in lutens in the search field of their website and you'll get it immediately. I was very underwhelmed by my sample of Serge Noire and gave it away after one sniff. We might constitute that minority together, though
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    bbBD re the B1834: just type in lutens in the search field of their website and you'll get it immediately. I was very underwhelmed by my sample of Serge Noire and gave it away after one sniff. We might constitute that minority together, though
    I think I'm missing something - I still don't see Borneo listed as a product on the webpage. The picture of Borneo is still the photo for the Serge Noir listing, but you can't actually order the Borneo online.

Is it in the physical catalog?

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    It's in the catalog that was mailed out; I know it's not in the stores yet since I was in Barneys on Sunday and the SA didn't know which one was coming yet.

jrd4t- don't cancel that bell jar. It's going to be not a lot more expensive than the much smaller bottle will be at Barneys

Quote Originally Posted by tmp00 View Post
    It's in the catalog that was mailed out; I know it's not in the stores yet since I was in Barneys on Sunday and the SA didn't know which one was coming yet.

jrd4t- don't cancel that bell jar. It's going to be not a lot more expensive than the much smaller bottle will be at Barneys
    I figured it would $140 like Vetiver Oriental - is it going to be more?

I think I'm missing something - I still don't see Borneo listed as a product on the webpage. The picture of Borneo is still the photo for the Serge Noir listing, but you can't actually order the Borneo online.

Hmm, I see what you mean. I just saw the big image of B1834 and didn't bother to look further...
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I got a call a little while ago from my SA at the Vegas Barney's... she said they just got it in today and she called as soon as she got in to work. It'll probably show soon on the site, but if you want to order it from the Barney's in Vegas, PM me and I'll give you her info.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Basenotes Institution

Can't a big company like Barney's fix their friggin website to show the right photo with the right fragrance? Weird...

After reading this I went to my local Barney's and my SA new exactly what I was there for. They did get it but she was down to her to her last bottle. She was also out of Serge Noir and Fumerie Turk.

As for Boneo, I was expecting something more exotic. I thought it smelled a lot like Nasomatto's Hindu Grass which I already own.....not sure if tis worth getting something else that is so simillar to my nose.

I thought that Serge Noir smelled too much like a combination of Rousse and Louve.....didn't find it different enough.

Anyone else have a simillar opinion?

I've had a small decant of Borneo for a while, so I know that I'm pretty excited for it. It's not quite as good as Chanel Coromandel, IMO, but it's a very close second.

Quote Originally Posted by josechan1 View Post
    After reading this I went to my local Barney's and my SA new exactly what I was there for. They did get it but she was down to her to her last bottle. She was also out of Serge Noir and Fumerie Turk.

As for Boneo, I was expecting something more exotic. I thought it smelled a lot like Nasomatto's Hindu Grass which I already own.....not sure if tis worth getting something else that is so simillar to my nose.

I thought that Serge Noir smelled too much like a combination of Rousse and Louve.....didn't find it different enough.

Anyone else have a simillar opinion?
    Wait - they're already out in Boston? I'm from Boston and was going to have my mom stop in to buy one.

Wait - they're already out in Boston? I'm from Boston and was going to have my mom stop in to buy one.
    I was there yesterday 10-28-08 at about 6:30 pm. She pointed to her stock which is kept in the glass case and, if I recall correctly, there was only one bottle left of Borneo.

I got caught up in the Byredo line that she has just started carrying.....and the The Different Co. ....and she had the new Malle Dans Tes Bras.

I picked up Borneo today at the San Francisco Barney's. It costs $140 for the 50ml bottle. They also had Chene surprisingly. I didn't know it was part of the export line.

How much do the bell jars cost? isn't shipping to the US ridiculously expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    How much do the bell jars cost? isn't shipping to the US ridiculously expensive?
    A bell jar retails in Paris for 105Ä, the size is 75ml.

I also saw it at Barneys when I was testing SL. Its a great scent if you like patchouli. I hate patchouli.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I retried my sample last night deciding if I should buy this before it's too late. Smells like heavy patchouli which comes off smelling like hay and some chocolate.

Couldn't get into it.

How does it compare to Chanel Coromandel and original Prada?

It's closest to Coromandel - same perfumer - but more chocolatey. It's nothing like the original Prada, which is very sweet. 1834 is perhaps one of the driest patchoulis out there. I slightly prefer Coromandel, but owning Coromandel won't keep me from owning 1834 also.

It's closest to Coromandel - same perfumer - but more chocolatey. It's nothing like the original Prada, which is very sweet. 1834 is perhaps one of the driest patchoulis out there. I slightly prefer Coromandel, but owning Coromandel won't keep me from owning 1834 also.
    Thank you! I like Coromandel. I'll give 1834 a try.