Code of Conduct

Default Storage of samples *with* the cardboard inserts

There are so many wonderful threads about sample storage:

Jan 2007 -- MsMuse's Great container to hold samples

Feb 2008 -- Quarry's The Ultimate Sample Vial Tray/Organizer

Sep 2008 -- TheAttorney's Sample storage

Oct 2008 -- 30_Roses' Figured out a way to store samples (poly-pellets -- my favorite so far)

But here's the twist. . . . What are the best ways to store/organize samples and still retain the cardboard information that comes with them? It would be easy if they were all the same size, because then one could just stick them in very elongated 3x5 index card drawers, but they're all different heights/widths/depths. Some of these cardboard inserts are 4 inches x 6 inches.

Default Re: Storage of samples *with* the cardboard inserts

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    There are so many wonderful threads about sample storage:

Jan 2007 -- MsMuse's Great container to hold samples

Feb 2008 -- Quarry's The Ultimate Sample Vial Tray/Organizer

Sep 2008 -- TheAttorney's Sample storage

Oct 2008 -- 30_Roses' Figured out a way to store samples (poly-pellets -- my favorite so far)

But here's the twist. . . . What are the best ways to store/organize samples and still retain the cardboard information that comes with them? It would be easy if they were all the same size, because then one could just stick them in very elongated 3x5 index card drawers, but they're all different heights/widths/depths. Some of these cardboard inserts are 4 inches x 6 inches.
    Interesting. I actually just throw them in a bag or even throw them out. Yea, you know what, most of the time I just toss them, never even occurred to me to store them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Interesting. I actually just throw them in a bag or even throw them out. Yea, you know what, most of the time I just toss them, never even occurred to me to store them.
    Yeah, me too. Most of the time I just throw them out. However, I'm kind of doing this for a friend, and I think there is some relevant information with the inserts, in that some of them contain notes or list information as to whether they are EdT or EdP (and is not imprinted on the vials themselves).

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Cardboard could be cut to size and stuck upright into the poly pellets next to the corresponding vial....

I like that idea, 30_Roses. As long as the container is not being jostled. But. . . let's say for example, if you needed to mail the samples to someone. Across the country.

I don't think the poly-pellets would stay in place very well, if there's air above them withiin the container being shipped. And I don't know how well the post would heed a "This End Up" sign.

I love your poly-pellets idea for stationary bowls/chests/tea cups! (I love that tea-cup picture!), though.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Actually, rethinking this...take a look at An_Aoud_Girl's post on my thread-- she has a list inside the lid of her chest. What if you were to make/glue a pocket to the inside of the chest lid, and place the cardboard inserts into the pocket?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

We cross posted. I need to think on this a bit....

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

OK-- what need is there for the vials to stay upright en route?

Let's say you buy a chest like an_oud_girl's chest. Bag the poly pellets in a ziplock bag and tuck them into the chest. Bubble wrap the vials together and tuck them in too. Make the inner-lid pocket and put the inserts there. Fill all the space in the chest so the contents don't rattle around. Pad/pack the chest in a box for mailing.

Recipient unpacks everything and sets it up.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 29th October 2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    What if you were to make/glue a pocket to the inside of the chest lid, and place the cardboard inserts into the pocket?
    I saw Oud_Girl's picture with the list. I like that as well. I shall be thinking about it as well! (and awaiting more of your brilliant brainstorming results)

OK-- what need is there for the vials to stay upright en route?

Let's say you buy a chest like An Aoud Girl's chest. Bag the poly pellets in a ziplock bag and tuck them into the chest. Bubble wrap the vials together and tuck them in too. Make the inner-lid pocket and put the inserts there. Fill all the space in the chest so the contents don't rattle around. Pad/pack the chest in a box for mailing.

Recipient unpacks everything and sets it up.
    I like that idea, as well. (We keep cross-posting!) However another thing worries me about poly-pellets. Accidents. And clean-up. Say for example, you accidentally knock over the container. Ugh! polypellet hell. And if you lived in a place. . . say, that didn't have easy access to a vacuum cleaner. . . you'd have to wait for someone to come and clean it up. . . that's going to be kind of sucky. And say you didn't have any way to buy *new* poly-pellets after such an accident.

(This is a lot of if's. I apologize. It's just I don't want to make *more* work for the person I'm doing this for. I want it to be EASIER to maintain, not harder. Lighter weight is also important.)

I simply throw mine in a drawer... I didn't think anyone else wanted to save their cards so I saved mine!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

My husband had his samples on top of his dresser in a lidless ceramic container our daughter had made. The day after I set up his box with poly pellets, he knocked it off the dresser (opened a drawer too fast and the box slipped off the back of the dresser...pellets all over the floor... (ceramic box got stuck between dresser and wall and did not break, *whew*!)

I swept the pellets up with a brush/dustpan. They were easy to sweep up. I wanted to know if they could be washed and reused so I put them in a bowl with a little dish soap (they don't absorb water.) Pellets float, dirt sinks. I I skimmed them off, laid them on paper towels on a cookie sheet and left them to dry. They are now in use again, and the ceramic box is safely inside a drawer!

And the pellets are very light.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 29th October 2008 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I simply throw mine in a drawer... I didn't think anyone else wanted to save their cards so I saved mine!

Eegad, that's a lot of samples. (Do I see Paul Smith in there?)

(they don't absorb water.) Pellets float, dirt sinks. I I skimmed them off, laid them on paper towels on a cookie sheet and left them to dry.

. . . .

And the pellets are very light.
    Sweet!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

You could also send a spare bag of pellets. 32 oz. were $6.99 at Michaels and with the 40% off coupon they put in their flyer every other week, it's even less.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

For the slightly less obsessive amongst us ('if such there breathe, go, mark her/him well') a simple copy on paper and notebooked or scan into computer and THEN toss the cardboard.

But for me, there is nothing like keeping the original.
    Last edited by kbe; 29th October 2008 at 11:35 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I got for the compact route. I take all my cardboard cards and put them together. They fit together really well. After putting an elastic around them, they aren't bigger than a pack of cards.

As for the vials themselves, I keep them in a Dior Parfums leather bag that I got one time, buying Dior Homme Sport. I keep all the shower gel tubes / aftershaves in there, too.