Code of Conduct

Default If I Like Vetiver Extraordinaire, then I would also like

I like Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire. It is crisp, clean, earthy and vetiver-y. I dont normally like vetiver scents, but the little sample of VE changed everything. I used to have a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver, but the lemon/tobacco put me off.

So, what scent is close to VE, but doesnt cost an arm (or a leg)?
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Default Re: If I Like Vetiver Extraordinaire, then I would also like

I haven't smelled anthing close to VE. I find most vetivers are paired up with citrus and such.

Yeah there's nothing really close to VE... Comme des Garcons 2 MAN cames really close for me but it's smokier.

Vetiver de Puig is another grassy/earthy one I know of and have tried. It's not as pointed and jarring as VE but it's fresh and clean like you describe it. It's also fairly inexpensive.

The recently reissued Givenchy Vetiver is damned amazing. Fresh and grassy. Might actually be perfect for what you are looking for.

If you're looking for something completely different and to get the other end of the spectrum, try MPG's Route de Vetiver. Dirty and potent stuff though not for everyone.

Lalique Encre Noir is almost an exact replica of the same...only Encre Noir is slight bit woodier...bu the overall smell, feel and approach is pretty much the same.

I guess I will start saving up. I'll try to get a sample of Encre Noire, though. Thanks a lot!

Blog Entries

i have a couple samples of Vetiver Extraordinaire and i have a full bottle of Encre Noire.

i'm sorry, but i think Encre Noire blows VE away! it's so much cleaner, more industrial, sharper, and just more interesting overall.

VE is a nice scent for sure though.....and i must admit these two scents are VERY similar in some ways..
    Last edited by everso; 29th October 2008 at 03:24 AM.

I second Encre Noir. It's less expensive than VE but is quite comparable in effect. You might also consider Route du Vetiver, which is earthier than VE - quite an up-front, raucous vetiver as I recall.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I read some reviews of Encre Noir and there seems to be an ink note, if I am not mistaken. Does it draw away from the vetiver, because I'm not a huge fan of the ink note in Silver Mountain Water. As for the Route du Vetiver, does it retain any of the clean, vetiveriness(sp?)/floralozones of Vetiver Extraordinaire or is it like buying Indian vetiver oil straight?

To sum it up, do these two scents have a bright and clear vetiver note, or are they bogged down by other, weird notes?

One more question, does anyone have any experience with Haitian/Indian vetiver oil?

Thanks in advanced.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by supracuhz View Post

To sum it up, do these two scents have a bright and clear vetiver note, or are they bogged down by other, weird notes?
    i think the vetiver note in Encre Noire is actually clearer than in VE, imo......it is much sharper though---it has almost a cold bitterness to it, which is a part of the whole ink cascade. The vetiver is STRONG though, very strong....and very dry. Definitely worth trying if you're into pure vetiver scents...

You might be able to get lucky on ebay with Vetiver de Puig. Now that I understand frags a lot better, I'm really impressed with this juice! Just took a look and noticed it on amazon for $20 + shipping (1.7 ounces).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 29th October 2008 at 04:25 AM.

Of the vetivers I've tried, I think perhaps Royall Vetiver is closest to V.E., but I've never smelled some of the others mentioned above. The Royall is a lot less concentrated, but of course a lot cheaper. In any case I find it a worthy scent in its own right.

Quote Originally Posted by d4 View Post
    Of the vetivers I've tried, I think perhaps Royall Vetiver is closest to V.E., but I've never smelled some of the others mentioned above. The Royall is a lot less concentrated, but of course a lot cheaper. In any case I find it a worthy scent in its own right.
    How is the longevity with Royall Vetiver? My experience with Royall Lime and Musk is that they don't last very long. Considering their cost, I'm not surprised.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I found that VEtiver Extreme by guerlain uses the same vetiver note than Extraordinary. The overall scents though are a little bit more different, but you should try it.
    I think Yang is similar in character too.

Chanel Sycomore

It's not pricey per/ml, but the bottle is big. Find someone to split this with or buy a large decant.

I agree that Givenchy Vetiver is awesome.

I read some reviews of Encre Noir and there seems to be an ink note, if I am not mistaken. Does it draw away from the vetiver, because I'm not a huge fan of the ink note in Silver Mountain Water. As for the Route du Vetiver, does it retain any of the clean, vetiveriness(sp?)/floralozones of Vetiver Extraordinaire or is it like buying Indian vetiver oil straight?

One more question, does anyone have any experience with Haitian/Indian vetiver oil?

Thanks in advanced.
    well, there is no Ink in SMW, its just a reference or lets say a image it projects...i perceive the same note as mixture of woody spices, juniper berry and "earth note". so That reference/comparison of note doesnt come up in anyways.

Yes, Encre noir does have a "true" ink note, which smells anything but lovely and only adds to the beauty of this scent.... but, the overall picture it paints is that of vetiver & woods. lovely stuff.

There are many a scents in the niche domain which would fall into that category...but not many in the designer domain...Encre Noir is a gift to the designer world...it has all the qualities of being Niche

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Yeah there's nothing really close to VE...

The recently reissued Givenchy Vetiver is damned amazing. Fresh and grassy. Might actually be perfect for what you are looking for.
    Givenchy Vetyver is what you're looking for if you want anything close. And it is damned amazing! I hadn't gotten around to giving my recently arrived bottle (still in its original packaging) a wearing - until today. I was actually surprised at how similar it is to VE. VE is loaded with oakmoss and that is what sets it apart from - say - Encre Noir (of which I have a decant). I checked on the bottom of my GV box and, sure enough! There it was!: EVERNIA PRUNASTRI (OAKMOSS) EXTRACT !!!!!
    Last edited by Delmar; 29th October 2008 at 08:37 AM.

Where would one go about getting Givenchy Vetyver?

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I donīt agree. Givenchy Vetyver is damned amazing, but itīs not fresh and grassy. I would call it rather dark, smoky, waxy and mossy - and it screams GENTLEMAN!
    Itīs Pour Monsieur de Chanel in a black suit.

Smile Re: If I Like Vetiver Extraordinaire, then I would also like

Encre Noire!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sables View Post
    I donīt agree. Givenchy Vetyver is damned amazing, but itīs not fresh and grassy. I would call it rather dark, smoky, waxy and mossy - and it screams GENTLEMAN!
    Itīs Pour Monsieur de Chanel in a black suit.
    Not "fresh"?? Givenchy Vetyver (of the Les Mythiques reissue) comes across to me as "refreshingly fresh". I would definitely agree that it is "mossy" - but that kind of mossiness (which GV & VE possess) comes across to me like the smell of a primal forest. Definitely worth sampling (theperfumedcourt.com). I hope they keep this one in production!

Argh, how did I forget Encre Noire? n-thing Encre Noire!

Where would one go about getting Givenchy Vetyver?
    I remember a while back a thread here advised that they stock it at the Chicago Nordstroms... it may be at others by now, too.

edit: I found the Givenchy Vetyver to be more like Guerlain's then Malle's, and I've tried both the vintage and re-issued Givenchy.
    Last edited by bbBD; 29th October 2008 at 03:06 PM.

Sadly, I'm not yet familiar with Encre Noire; however, the closest scents to Vetiver Extraordinaire that I have experience with are

L'Artisan Vetiver
    Tauer's new Vetiver Dance
    Miller Harris' Vetiver Bourbon, and
    Etro Vetiver

not necessarily in that order. That said, VE is, imo, sufficiently unique as to be able to own with no fear of overlap with something else.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    ...VE is, imo, sufficiently unique as to be able to own with no fear of overlap with something else.
    I agree. I have smelled most of the recommendations above, and none of them fully replicates the effect of Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Don't forget Chanel's Sycomore. (the one in the exclusif line) Try it out, it really does conjure VE, but in a more woody direction. IMO, almost just as good, but far better value.
    Last edited by moltening; 29th October 2008 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree. I have smelled most of the recommendations above, and none of them fully replicates the effect of Vetiver Extraordinaire.

well, he is looking for somethin which doesnt cost as much...

however, i do agree, VE smells very very realistic and is subtle to an extent in nature...VE along with Carnal Flower, French Lover & Angeliques Sous la Pluie literally play with senses and are scents which could be extremely personal...

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    Don't forget Chanel's Sycomore. (the one in the exclusif line) Try it out, it really does conjure VE, but in a more woody direction. IMO, almost just as good, but far better value.
    Whether Sycomore will be an acceptable substitute for VE depends on how you react to the smoky note in it. VE presents as a raw green vetiver whereas Sycomore leans more toward the Guerlain model, as stated before. However, the smoky note in Sycomore seems closer to the birch tar (I think) smoke in Lonestar Memories than to the tobacco and smoke in Guerlain. Mind you, this is all based on a few minutes of testing Sycomore at NM in Dallas a couple of weeks ago, so I may be way off base (or blowing smoke up your behind, as the case may be). Question for note experts: is the smoky note in some vetivers produced from a separate ingredient or from a variety of vetiver that produces the smoky note?

Bottom line: I much prefer VE over Sycomore because I don't personally care for smoky notes. I also prefer VE over Encre Noir, but the distinction isn't nearly as clear cut.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 29th October 2008 at 05:23 PM.

If I like Vetiver Extraordinaire, then I would also like - Vetiver Dance by Tauer Fragrance and Vetyver by Givenchy. (can order Vetyver by Givenchy from Nordstrum, online). Also, you might like Encre Noire and Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver but both are earthier, woodier, darker and more mysterious - if you like that direction you may actually like these more than VE - I do. My all time favorite vetiver is Sel d' Vetiver from The Different Co. It is similar to VE but is a little more sparkling and oceanic while still being very much a great vetiver - an inspiring and uplifiting composition of notes.

You might indeed like Encre Noir if you like VE, as I do, because the vetiver is strong in both of them. But the two are not the same, they are not even close if you ask me. Givenchy is also good but miles away from VE.
    Last edited by Ender; 29th October 2008 at 06:41 PM.

The first time I tried VE it reminded me very much of Kenzo Pour Homme. The last time I smelled Kenzo was in the 90ies though, so my memory may betray me.
    Last edited by Ender; 29th October 2008 at 06:46 PM.

Thumbs up Re: If I Like Vetiver Extraordinaire, then I would also like

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    How is the longevity with Royall Vetiver? My experience with Royall Lime and Musk is that they don't last very long. Considering their cost, I'm not surprised.
    Royall Vetiver has much better longevity than Lyme, the only other Royall I've tried. I'd say R.V. has at least average longevity for a fragrance, though perhaps less than some other vetivers.

P.S. I'm wearing V.E. and R.V. on opposite wrists today. So far R.V. seems brighter, sharper, and V.E. a tad more mellow; but I expect this will change later in the day.

Update: About 4 hours after application R.V. has mellowed and the two smell remarkably similar. Stretching my ability to describe what difference I perceive, I'll say V.E. smells a bit "rounder."
    Last edited by d4; 29th October 2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: update

Anyone have any experience with Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez? How does it compare to VE?

Also, I asked before, but it wasn't really covered, but do any of you guys ever use Vetiver Oil. I searched the forums and apparently the one person I saw who used vetiver oil was banned.

Also, I asked before, but it wasn't really covered, but do any of you guys ever use Vetiver Oil. I searched the forums and apparently the one person I saw who used vetiver oil was banned.
    Madini Oils Vetyver is a very nice vetiver oil. I used to think it was the best smelling vetiver fragrance out there until I discovered some of the niche vetivers. It is very earthy and woody. Almost smells as if it was blended with a bit of patchouli and/or cedar. It has a slight bit of baked earth and dried wood scent to it. It is a great value too as it doesn't cost much and a little dab will go a long way. Also the vetiver oil from Soma essential oils is very nice too.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 30th October 2008 at 03:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Anyone have any experience with Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez? How does it compare to VE?

well, i have come across 4 types of vetiver prominent fragrances..

Soapy/fresh: Vetiver Hombre, Mugler Colgne, Gendarme Creed OV etc..
    Earthy types: Encre Noir, Vetiver Extraordinaire, B*Men, A*Men
    Oriental: Aramis, Equipage
    &
    Peppery dry: Terre Dhermes, Red Vetyver, LDdm etc...

so, Vetiver hombre doesnt come in the same genre as VE

I cant stop smelling the vetiver extraordinaire on my wrists. I guess I will seek out a bottle of that, a sample of Encre Noire and some haitian vetiver oil. Thanks for the help everyone!

Anyone know where I can contact the people who stole all those malle frags?
    Last edited by supracuhz; 30th October 2008 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    (can order Vetyver by Givenchy from Nordstrum, online).
    Unfortunately you can't, believe me I've tried.

I cant stop smelling the vetiver extraordinaire on my wrists. I guess I will seek out a bottle of that, a sample of Encre Noire and some haitian vetiver oil. Thanks for the help everyone!

Anyone know where I can contact the people who stole all those malle frags?

Good Choice

Quote Originally Posted by RubenC View Post
    Unfortunately you can't, believe me I've tried.
    Yea I looked everywhere but to no avail.

One more vote for Encre Noir. Oddly enough, Encre Noir was one hell of a trick fragrance for me, it took me 3 wearings to "get" it. The first 2 instances could've been my fault as I had tested other fragrances too and EN kind of got lost somewhere in the chaos of different scents clashing with each other.

The third wearing however was a much more intimate affair and I was able to fully appreciate Encre Noir. I couldn't get enough of its ultra-realistic olfactory portrayal of breathing into the aroma emanating from a wooden spice chest filled with exotic spices and seasonings.

If there's any issue I have with Encre Noire, it's about the longevity. I only get 3 hours tops per wearing, after which I must reapply.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Harrods has it, but they will not ship to the U.S., fortunately I have someone coming back from the UK with a bottle.

You have to call Nordstroms

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    You have to call Nordstroms
    Called customer service main line, called Nordstrom Chicago direct, no dice.

Adolfo Dominguez' (AD) Vetiver is very strong, pretty good as far as I can tell since I did not try many - IMO, similar to L'Occitane's and better than Puig's. Wile AD's and L'Occitane's are woody vetivers, Puig's ir far more floral. Of the three, Puig's is the cheapest, then comes AD and then L'Occitane. The two first ones have excellent longevity, L'Occitane... so so.

If you are looking for good value for money, try Zara'a vetiver: 6,6 OZ for USD 33. It is suspiciously similar to Adolfo Dominguez, but more contemporary: top notes are sort of acquatic, but it immediately turns into a classical vetiver fragrance with woody middle and basenotes. Zara reports:

Top notes: grapefruit / Middle notes: orange blossom / Basenotes: vetiver. Good longevity, but not overpowering.

BTW: AD, Zara's vetiver and Vetiver de Puig are all manfuactured by Antonio Puig.

I just had to add my two cents. Someone earlier recommended Tauer's Vetiver Dance as a similar fragrance to VE. What? I am wearing Vetiver Dance as my SOTD and they are nothing, NOTHING alike. The only time I smell vetiver in Vetiver Dance is upon first application. From then on it is more about "other things".

Listed ingredients:

Grapefruit, black pepper, green clary sage leaves, brilliant lily of the valley, dark vetiver from Java, crisp cedar wood and soft ambergris with a hint of cistus and Tonka beans.

It is a very classy fragrance but I wouldn't even classify it as a vetiver fragrance! I know there is some in there but it is so well blended that you can't smell it. If you want vetiver, I say save your money and just get a bottle of Malle's VE!!!

By the way you can order Vetyver, Givenchy from Nordstrom. I got my bottle that way. I called the Chicago store and asked for the fragrance dept. an erstwhile and very diligent sales clerk sent me a bottle. Thanks for the heads up to Petruccijc!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    By the way you can order Vetyver, Givenchy from Nordstrom. I got my bottle that way. I called the Chicago store and asked for the fragrance dept. an erstwhile and very diligent sales clerk sent me a bottle. Thanks for the heads up to Petruccijc!
    Do you remember who you spoke to there?

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    Do you remember who you spoke to there?
    And how long ago? Because as of today Oct.30th, they are sold out. The SA their took my name and number and said she would try to find one for me, but I'm not holding my breath.