Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Burberry London problem

Hello basenoters,

I guess there is something wrong with me;i bought a bottle Burberry Londen blind without smelling it.
    After reading so many good stories about London I was almost sure I could'nt go wrong buying it.
    I made a mistake;on me its a very weak and shortlasting scent.I really cannot understand the happiness about it;i can hardly smell anything.Good lesson again for me;no more blind buys;even if there are hundred positive reviews about a scent......

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Burberry London problem

I think that's what I like about it...but I may be weird, lol. I like how it's a very rich scent that you can't make the mistake of over-applying. I actually just bought my bottle this past weekend & I just alter the amount of sprays I use.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

It may not be the longest lasting...6 hours or so..but it still get little whiffs from clothes and everywhere else. I'm not sure how this scent can be classified as "weak." It comes out spicey/peppery and strong to me but settles in wonderfully.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I work for 6 hours. I wear it to work. Perfect for that. I find I get more out of it using the shower gel and after shave. The aftershave balm is really good.

I do smell something (that I like) but find it lacking in longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

London is not particularly weak, but it does have somewhat short longevity. It lasts best for me if I apply beneath my clothing. The clothing then disperses scent throughout the day. On exposed skin it only lasts a couple of hours at most. This is not abnormal with quite a few of the frags I own.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it's not weak. You probably just get used to it. Olfactory fatigue. Make sure your palate keeps clear and you don't overload on the fragrance, or else you will surely get used to it.

Spray on your chest then throw on a shirt so the smell seeps into the shirt. Then put some on your wrist or forearm area. Four hours later, smell your forearm/wrist. Still smell it? Smell your shirt. Smell still? I think so. Try your forearm again if you didn't smell it before.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same problem. I'm wondering whether some of us are anosmic to a major ingredient.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sniff View Post
    Hello basenoters,

I guess there is something wrong with me;i bought a bottle Burberry Londen blind without smelling it.
    After reading so many good stories about London I was almost sure I could'nt go wrong buying it.
    I made a mistake;on me its a very weak and shortlasting scent.I really cannot understand the happiness about it;i can hardly smell anything.Good lesson again for me;no more blind buys;even if there are hundred positive reviews about a scent......
    That is unfortunate. I have heard a few others complain abou this issue with London. It is honestly my fav. bottle in my meager collection. I go 3 sprays ( one on neck and one for each arm) and I get 8 hours from it. I do find it projects well and lasts well. For me, longevity is very important. I also find I can trust the scent not to shoot out and hit others with it ( scent wise). I have had compliments a few hours into wearing it.

Hope it works out for you. The only advice I can give you is stay away from John Varvatos. Some have stated them as "comparable", so one would think you could go for JV instead ( reviews say it can last 8 hours). But no way, JV has horrible "wear" and longevity. But the smell is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

You know what is odd I find it very powerful if I spray more two sprays, I am choking myself

it lasts about 6 hours on me which I think is fine

Post Thanks / Like

Burberry London is a lovely fragrance but it just doesn't last on me. I find it "comparable" to John Varvatos and I get much better longevity and sillage out of JV. It just depends on your skin I guess.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Post Thanks / Like

I wore it on scent sync day and thought I hasd the same problem but then I left the room I was working in and came back and it was loud and clear in the air. I think there are two things with this frag - first olfactory fatigue and second the huge contrast between the wonderful loud cherry top notes and the more subdued floralish heart and drydown.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 29th October 2008 at 10:24 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion,

1) Quick-burning topnotes
    2) Olfactory fatigue, and
    3) Humidity

plague this fragrance. Some people claim it burns right off. While I think the candied topnotes do burn off quickly, all those yummy woods do stick around for quite a while.

It is an awesome fragrance. Fall and Thanksgiving and Christmas in a bottle. Some people have issues with it, though. I'm glad I'm not one of them.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Post Thanks / Like

This is far from weak on me, but the longevity isn't great. On the lower side of average on me.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Try Cuba Red. It's very similar but much cheaper, so you can keep reapplying and not feel you are getting "ripped off" by a weak frag.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, I squirted an entire sample on myself one time and 2 hours later I could detect nothing. I really want to like this but its longevity deep sixed the idea.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

I get about 6 hours per wearing out of this which isn't too bad IMO.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

It's no sillage monster but the longevity is there.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

This is bizarre to me. I have 'anosmia' issues with Bulgari PH and to a lesser extent with Gucci II. Bulgari is undetectable to me almost instantly and Gucci II after about 30 mins. My 'theory' is I have a reaction to tea scents. I think they act as olfactory blockers with me. Being a foul smoker probably doesn't help.

London, though. Different story altogether. I find it a powerful, yet gentle, fragrance. A few sparse sprays last me all day. It reminds me somewhat of a toned-down, lighter, more up-to-date version of VC&A PH.
    Last edited by Trufflehunter; 30th October 2008 at 03:54 AM.

I easily get 8-10 hours out of this and anything more than 3 sprays is too much. I'm thinking olfactory fatigue or anosmia are at play here.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Two or three sprays last at least six to eight hours on me which I think is more than adequate.

Lol on me london lasts untill i wash it off.. I overspray with more than 1 spray on this..

Post Thanks / Like

Same problem here--4 sprays of it were detected for only 4-5 hours, and then I had to reapply. I guess it's the BKK heat that shorten its life.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto