Code of Conduct

Default Let's agree on one fragrance!

It seems impossible to find a fragrance with no negative reviews.. But Is there one fragrance that ALL Basenoters at least won't mind wearing? Not necessarily have it on their top list or anything, but like it just enough to wear.

I was thinking Chanel Egoiste or YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme, but then there are reviews that are bashing both.

Does such fragrance exist?
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Default Re: Let's agree on one fragrance!

A frag that all would wear (even without much enthusiasm) must be inoffensive; perhaps HERMES D'ORANGE VERT?
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

I think this has to be the "safe" inoffensive type of fragrance.
    I don't know why I have Pi Neo on my mind. It might not be what you expected, but I honestly can't see how anyone wouldn't like the way it smells. If we exclude those who give thumbs down for unoriginality or disappointment because they were expecting something much better, wouldn't everyone else agree that it at least smells good?
    Last edited by Mostapha; 29th October 2008 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    A frag that all would wear (even without much enthusiasm) must be inoffensive; perhaps HERMES D'ORANGE VERT?
    Yes. Exactly what I meant. How could anyone dislike that?
    So there are indeed fragrances that all Basenoters can agree on?

Blog Entries

ALL is a pretty strong word. Someone will eventually come along and say "nope."
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Why?

Well, perhaps the way to phrase it would be the least offensive frag you can think of, knowing that others might not share you tastes. I'm thinking a light fougere type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Why?
    Curiosity I guess. So that next time when someone asks for your advice on what fragrance to buy and you need a quick answer, you know you can't go wrong with that one.

Yes, Bigsly, maybe I should have phrased my question like that. Maybe I was thinking of something that is not just inoffensive and non-controversial, but also good!
    Last edited by Mostapha; 29th October 2008 at 11:03 PM.

I'm tempted to say Creed GIT. The only main reason I see hate for it is the popularity factor.

No.

Some like niche and some prefer design
    Some don't mind if it's light and fades, but others want their's to smell from five to nine
    Some will sing the praise of ISO-e-super and Hedione
    Which will make the nature lovers groan and quickly apply some soothing old fashioned Eau de Cologne
    Dirty musk may make you feel real, but others will reel and squeal while there jasmine and honey
    makes your nose all runny.
    So while we all feel the need to bow before the allmighty perfume deity, that luckily won't cure us from our bewildering heterogeneity,
    As we greed for Creed or search for Serge and spend our money on Armani or more Dior.
    D'accord?

Anyone else here like Ogden Nash ?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Take a bow friend, sensational!

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    No.

Some like niche and some prefer design
    Some don't mind if it's light and fades, but others want their's to smell from five to nine
    Some will sing the praise of ISO-e-super and Hedione
    Which will make the nature lovers groan and quickly apply some soothing old fashioned Eau de Cologne
    Dirty musk may make you feel real, but others will reel and squeal while there jasmine and honey
    makes your nose all runny.
    So while we all feel the need to bow before the allmighty perfume deity, that luckily won't cure us from our bewildering heterogeneity,
    As we greed for Creed or search for Serge and spend our money on Armani or more Dior.
    D'accord?

Anyone else here like Ogden Nash ?
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    I'm tempted to say Creed GIT. The only main reason I see hate for it is the popularity factor.

Just No.
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Blog Entries

Acqua di Gio!

Seriously, I doubt that we could ever get 100%, but there has to be a "least offensive" fragrance for Basenoters. But at the risk of demonizing the poor fragrance, perhaps it's best if we not find out which one it is. However, we could always have a....POLL!

I'm hesitant to make a recommendation, but uh...

How about CK1.

I don't really particularly care for it, but...

It was popular, but not SO popular that we can't even take it seriously, like Polo or Drakkar. (yeah, I know, both awesome scents...)

It was distinct, but not boisterous with personality. It DOES sort of have a "mid-nineties" nostalgia vibe to it, but thats just because that is when it had it's big run. I could probably learn to love Penhaligons' Quercus (which is virtually identical as far as I can tell), and NOT have that association, so that being said - CK1 holds it's own.

And it is a simple white musk, so it should work with just about any skin type, occasion, outfit, etc.

Just throwin' it out there.

------------------

Oh and one more thing - If I could assume that everyone had tried it, I'd say Selection Verte. If you don't like the smell of Selection Verte, then something is wrong with your nose.
    Last edited by Scentronic; 30th October 2008 at 12:28 AM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Our differences are what make us unique... The world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things... Show me a scent that the entire board would enjoy, and I'll show you a very boring frag...

Scooby doo for men...Get the EDT... Well, it depends on the year....

Funny, most of the suggestions so far are nowhere near my favorites and several are big turn-offs for me. I would like to find something suitable for everyone, but am afraid the posts about "All" being impossible may be more correct than I'd like. I mean, sure, we know that we can't really "All" be in agreement as an absolute, but I'm shocked at the diversity of scents mentioned as "least offensive". I wondered if a clean scent might work since we "All" shower. Then I figured if I suggested one, someone is bound to say that it's too soapy.

Given all that, I'll pick Penhaligon's Lords/Douro or anything that smells similar enough to be a sibling.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Just as an aside, I was investigating Chanel Coromandel, an "I must smell this soon" for me, because I'm a patchouli fanatic, and I noticed that the reviews are all thumbs up. I have also read very high praise in the perfume blog community. I'd read this post just before looking it up on the board and thought I'd mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    It seems impossible to find a fragrance with no negative reviews.. But Is there one fragrance that ALL Basenoters at least won't mind wearing? Not necessarily have it on their top list or anything, but like it just enough to wear.

I was thinking Chanel Egoiste or YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme, but then there are reviews that are bashing both.

Does such fragrance exist?
    Ya know, I am really considering buying Egoiste, but people seem to be head over heals in love with the platinum version. I have a sample of the regular one, and I like that one just fine. Have you tried the platinum version, and is it in fact better? I'm dying to try the platinum.
    btw-I'm sure somebody either has or will mention that damn Creed GIT, is nothing more than an overpriced Cool Waters. And CW really ain't that hot either. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Ya know, I am really considering buying Egoiste, but people seem to be head over heals in love with the platinum version. I have a sample of the regular one, and I like that one just fine. Have you tried the platinum version, and is it in fact better? I'm dying to try the platinum.
    btw-I'm sure somebody either has or will mention that damn Creed GIT, is nothing more than an overpriced Cool Waters. And CW really ain't that hot either. *shrugs*
    I own both Egoiste and Platinum Egoiste.

There is no contest in my opinion - Egoiste wins by a landslide.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post

And I'm th opposite. PE beats the heck out of Egoiste.

As for thread,,,,not sure a fragrance can be found, even if you take soso to great reviews. Its the nature of the personal nose
    Last edited by ToughCool; 30th October 2008 at 03:24 AM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    And I'm th opposite. PE beats the heck out of Egoiste.

As for thread,,,,not sure a fragrance can be found, even if you take soso to great reviews. Its the nature of the personal nose
    And I'm the opposite again:

Egoiste > PE for me

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    I do not like it. Too raw and green for me. Moreover, I can barely shake off the sterotype of fruit picking/lawn mower driver mexican (not that I actually try too hard ) to wear that scent. I guess it just reminds me of my fruit picking/lawn mower driver summers.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Why?
    exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    i would prefer to wear stardust.

Mugler cologne? no...
    One of the Jazz by ysl

No, and thank God for our different tastes. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have very interesting debates here and every day would be a Scent Synch Day.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post

I believe you. I did a search and found a poll thread with the two pit against each other, and more than 70% of voters went with the regular one. THing is though-it seems as though PE is talked about more. *shrugs*

The very idea of this endeavor is a non starter!

Even the suggestion that a scent that would be wearable and enjoyed by all would have to be "inoffensive" is not correct. There are many here that dislike inoffensive fragrances and would much rather wear an avant garde or experimental fragrance. They cringe at the inoffensive and generic.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye