Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Casterly Rock and Roll
    Posts
    1,939

    Default Millesime Imperial

    Finally I got a bottle of MI.
    I sprayed this morning and lasted decently for 3 hours with 2 weak bonus hours of longevity.
    I have to agree with many of you that Unforgivable is a total imitation of MI, without the quality and that common denominator that all Creed fragrances I have tried have.

    Very fruity, the heart note seems to me watermelon, perhaps peach. I was not expecting the aquatic note though.. nice. Also there is a metallic touch in there, sublet but definitely there. This one is quite sweet but with some salt note.

    Unisex? definitely. Feminine ? hmm , perhaps in the border line. I don't like the floral aspect of the fragrance , I could pass without it.

    I am not sure about MI sillage, but I am not impressed.
    A cute and elegant summer fragrance, a "feel good".
    I wanted the Gold bottle to make it a little special but I got the clear bottle.
    I still like GIT better and makes BdP to look even more serious and classic.
    I give it a 6/10
    Last edited by Basteri; 30th October 2008 at 07:13 PM.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    I agree, MI longevity for me is about the same. I still like it very much, and Unforgivable is a weak imitation of the real thing. I would love to get a bottle, but my sights are set on Creed OV for the moment.

  3. #3


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,359

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    Finally I got a bottle of MI.
    I sprayed this morning and lasted decently for 3 hours with 2 weak bonus hours of longevity.
    I have to agree with many of you that Unforgivable is a total imitation of MI, without the quality and that common denominator that all Creed fragrances I have tried have.

    Very fruity, the heart note seems to me watermelon, perhaps peach. I was not expecting the aquatic note though.. nice. Also there is a metallic touch in there, sublet but definitely there. This one is quite sweet but with some salt note.

    Unisex? definitely. Feminine ? hmm , perhaps in the border line. I don't like the floral aspect of the fragrance , I could pass without it.

    I am not sure about MI sillage, but I am not impressed.
    A cute and elegant summer fragrance, a "feel good".
    I wanted the Gold bottle to make it a little special but I got the clear bottle.
    I still like GIT better and makes BdP to look even more serious and classic.
    I give it a 6/10

    Poor Basteri, I remember you were so excited about the Creed line a few months ago and, now, it seems like that have disappointed you a bit. Is this correct?

  4. #4
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Casterly Rock and Roll
    Posts
    1,939

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    Don't be sorry, I am not disappointed.
    In my fragrance journey Creed has been a point of inflexion. I still want to get few more. It is a question of my own expectations and admittedly an initial over excitement that I am sure many could relate to.
    In any case I am sorry to spoil your apparently joy.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    I don't know what it is about most Creeds (SMW, MI Erolfa, Taborone) but from what I've read they have similar notes or maybe the base is similar. Kind of like Guerlain (Guerlainade). What ever it is I really enjoy it and I find Creed to be one of my favorite houses. I just wish they were a bit cheaper.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    I wore Himalaya yesterday and remembered how much I like that millesime base - wonderful stuff . Each frag has a slight variation on it - Himalaya has some tonka I think and it holds some of the top/middle notes too. I find it extrememly long lasting and with suprising sillage too - I had to smell it on someone else to really realise this. I got a strong whiff of that musky sandalwood ambergris from my nephew as he walked past me well over 12 hours after applying. I think it is easy to underestimate or not really notice this base accord as it smells quite different to the top and middle notes; when those go, I could think the fragrance has gone because I'm sniffing for them and not the base.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  7. #7

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    It's a highly variable scent longevity wise, as far as I'm concerned.

    I've only ever tested MI from official sellers, and six years ago I could only get 2 hours out of it (which had me wondering why everyone was raving about a scent I wouldn't bother with), but earlier this year I easily got 7 or 8 hours out of it.

    You seem to have gotten a mid range version.
    Renato

  8. #8

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I've only ever tested MI from official sellers, and six years ago I could only get 2 hours out of it (which had me wondering why everyone was raving about a scent I wouldn't bother with), but earlier this year I easily got 7 or 8 hours out of it.
    It's interesting to me how different people are when it comes to something as subjective as fragrance.

    Longevity is way down on my list of reasons to appreciate about a fragrance or not. I'd much rather have a short lived fragrance that smells as good as MI (I get 4 hours), than a long lived one that smells as bad (to me) as Antaeus.

    If MI lasted 8 hours on me instead of 4, it would barely raise my appreciation of it.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 31st October 2008 at 02:47 AM.

    The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

  9. #9
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Casterly Rock and Roll
    Posts
    1,939

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    8 hours? wow that is very good. To me longevity is important, one of the 3 top requirements.
    Funny that you mentioned Antaeus, I have wore it in the past with pleasure; but I got a sample yesterday. I put some on my hand and smelled horrible on me......... perhaps it was the big difference in style from MI and Antaues. I wore MI yesterday while testing Antaeus.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    Was this a blind buy? If so, how big was the bottle? Don't worry though -- MI is very easy to go through a large amount of.

    If you still want to go through some more Creed -- be sure to check out the older ones. IMO... old Creed > new Creed. Just my .02

  11. #11

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    It's interesting to me how different people are when it comes to something as subjective as fragrance.

    Longevity is way down on my list of reasons to appreciate about a fragrance or not. I'd much rather have a short lived fragrance that smells as good as MI (I get 4 hours), than a long lived one that smells as bad (to me) as Antaeus.

    If MI lasted 8 hours on me instead of 4, it would barely raise my appreciation of it.
    To my mind, if a scent barely lasts as long as Brut underarm deodorant or Gillette aftershave balm, well it doesn't really deserve to be treated as a real scent. What's the point of spending big bucks on something that doesn't hold up against cheap supermarket stuff?

    Neroli Sauvage smells wonderful - for the 45minutes it lasts on me. No matter how good it smells, I just can't take it seriously, as it ranks right down there with 4711 longevity wise.

    There are just too many good scents out there with very good longevity to waste money on those with short longevity. However, I must admit to having always been puzzled by the praise heaped on Antaeus.
    Renato

    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 31st October 2008 at 03:50 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    Well ,here Creed House is very overrated,sometimes this forum have a mutation and call Creednotes,and the people is involved in a collective delirium,me was a victim too,but is possible to go out.
    Last edited by Dry_Martini; 31st October 2008 at 07:59 PM.
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

  13. #13

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry_Martini View Post
    Well ,here Creed House is very overrated,sometimes this forum have a mutation and call Creednotes,and the people is involved in a collective delirium,me was a victim too,but is possible to go out.
    What does this mean? I am lost

  14. #14

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    What does this mean? I am lost
    too many Creed,friend
    Last edited by Dry_Martini; 31st October 2008 at 08:16 PM.
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

  15. #15

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry_Martini View Post
    to many Creed,friend
    Still lost. that doesn't make sense. To many Creed, Friend?

  16. #16

  17. #17

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry_Martini View Post
    Well ,here Creed House is very overrated,sometimes this forum have a mutation and call Creednotes,and the people is involved in a collective delirium,me was a victim too,but is possible to go out.
    Again, I don't know what this means, but if you don't like Creed, why open a Creed thread and talk negative about it? Why can't you just move on to another thread?

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Miles away from ordinary.
    Posts
    573

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    While I understand the sentiment that Creed is overrated here, I wholeheartedly feel that no one should judge a scent based on whether it lasts on someone. Everyone's skin is different, and longevity might be easy to get for someone, but difficult for someone else trying the same scent.

    My Creeds (MI, Himalaya and GIT) all last 8-12 hours on me. It just so happens that MI and GIT are often lambasted for poor longevity. On the other hand, I get literally 10 minutes from MPG's Bahiana. I get 5-6 hours from Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts, when almost all of the reviews claim to get less than one. I could go on like this all day.

    My point is, skin type is very important and is grossly overlooked here.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    While I understand the sentiment that Creed is overrated here, I wholeheartedly feel that no one should judge a scent based on whether it lasts on someone. Everyone's skin is different, and longevity might be easy to get for someone, but difficult for someone else trying the same scent.

    My Creeds (MI, Himalaya and GIT) all last 8-12 hours on me. It just so happens that MI and GIT are often lambasted for poor longevity. On the other hand, I get literally 10 minutes from MPG's Bahiana. I get 5-6 hours from Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts, when almost all of the reviews claim to get less than one. I could go on like this all day.

    My point is, skin type is very important and is grossly overlooked here.
    You are right that skin type plays a part, but it's not grossly overlooked here. The classic example from the old days being Eau Sauvage with very many claiming it lasts two to three hours, while a few others claiming it lasts 12 hours. For the majority's skin type it's a short lasting scent, for the minority it isn't.

    On me, 95% of designer scents easily last 8 hours of more when worn under clothes. About 90% last that long on bare skin, albeit a bit more weakly. So I tend to use them as the baseline.

    But only around a third of niche scents last 8 hours or more long on me. The good thing about Creed is that unlike some houses, it does have quite a few scents with staying power in it's line up.

    The other factor is what we mean by "lasts". To my mind, if I have to stick my nostrils either on my hand, or stretch them down to my shirt where I've sprayed it, just so that I can detect the occasional molecules - it hasn't lasted because, even though it may still be there, it's not doing the job I bought it for.

    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 1st November 2008 at 12:40 AM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Millesime Imperial

    Both Neroli Sauvage and MI have a millesime ambergris-musk base which (on most people) can last 4-5 hours. Both are citrus fragrances (rich citrus, water-aquatic citrus) which by their nature are ephemeral in nature - thus the top middle notes should be expected to last 3-4 hours max. (or less if you have oldstock). Going by the above analysis, one should expect longevity of around 4-9 hours from these fragrances. If both these last on your skin for less than an hour, then your skin must really eat up the ambergris+musk Creed base. Proof complete.
    -

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th March 2008, 09:00 PM
  2. need something in between Millesime Imperial and Unforgivable
    By akenep in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12th February 2008, 07:38 PM
  3. A copy of a copy of Millesime Imperial at Target
    By CologneJunkie in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19th September 2007, 05:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000