Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do you ever feel guilty about the number of fragrances you own?

whether it is other peoples' comments that might make you feel a bit guilty or perhaps your own realisation that maybe you have too many scents that get you feeling a little guilty. i know i get that way sometimes but then i justify it to myself by saying there are far worse 'vices'. i am not sure though how many scents is too many, i own about 27-30 but i know many on this forum own considerably more than that but i also know i am certainly going to add more to my own collection since i always seem to have a list of at least two or three 'must have' scents. i don't think i am addicted to buying fragrances but i cannot forsee any time when i won't be purchasing them. i think we all believe/hope that the next one we buy will be 'the holy grail' of fragrances and i suspect that is what drives/motivates many on this forum. am i right or wrong?

Default Re: Do you ever feel guilty about the number of fragrances you own?

The most prominent nation on here is a consumer culture. That is what motivates many of us. Consume and be happy.

I feel bad about having five bottles right now. Look at America's economy! I don't know whether to spend to feed it or to change currencies and get out of the country.

I do sometimes feel guilty, no question. I started to elaborate, but I think I'll leave it at that.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 30th October 2008 at 10:23 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Yeah, I've really got to stop buying stuff. I've accrued quite the bill in the last month. At first it was like, "Well, I need this scent for X event" and it's evolved into "whatever I smell for more than 5 minutes at one time."

Anyways, yeah, I wasn't looking for the Holy Grail. I already found mine. I just wanted to fill out my wardrobe. And eventually I found a dressy(Prada Amber pH), then even dressier(Guerlain Vetiver), and even MORE dressy(Chanel Antaeus), then finally the dressiest scent I could find, which is Montale's Steam Aoud. So I'm putting my foot down. I can't possibly dress up for Steam Aoud.

Yep, I do. Right now, I need roses petals, white aoud, Fleur du male la cologne and Domenico caraceni EDT, shaving cream and shampoo, but I already have too many bottles. As for looking for a Holy Grail, it is not my case. It is unrealistic and boring. what is wrong with having the perfect smal collection?
    Last edited by irish; 30th October 2008 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    Yeah, I've really got to stop buying stuff. I've accrued quite the bill in the last month. At first it was like, "Well, I need this scent for X event" and it's evolved into "whatever I smell for more than 5 minutes at one time."

Anyways, yeah, I wasn't looking for the Holy Grail. I already found mine. I just wanted to fill out my wardrobe. And eventually I found a dressy(Prada Amber pH), then even dressier(Guerlain Vetiver), and even MORE dressy(Chanel Antaeus), then finally the dressiest scent I could find, which is Montale's Steam Aoud. So I'm putting my foot down. I can't possibly dress up for Steam Aoud.
    Hey Dynendal - Where did u find the Guerlain Vetiver in Vancouver if you dont mind me askings?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

What's the point of feeling guilty? If I had, I wouldn't have bought them all, and if I did now, I would get rid of them. I have given some away, but only remnants of bottles for which I got fresh replacements.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Feeling guilty about owning non-essentials can be examined in many areas of possession in your life. Car, home, clothes, books, DVDs, food, TV viewing time etc. Some think even a single fragrance is excessive luxury. For others there will never be enough frags in their collection. As for me, I am grateful I can afford to buy what I buy. And no, I don't feel guilty about doing so. I just try not to make fragrances into something I would be miserable living without. I would certainly miss having them but if for whatever reason I coundn't have fragrances in my life it wouldn't be something I couldn't get over.
    Last edited by kbe; 31st October 2008 at 01:20 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingLotus View Post
    Hey Dynendal - Where did u find the Guerlain Vetiver in Vancouver if you dont mind me askings?
    PM'd.

Never. Not even when I temporarily had the market cornered on Nicole Miller for Men.

I did feel guilty when my purchases were impulse buys. These days I plan my purchases and test well before I splurge. I still have a large collection i.e. > 40.
    If you're spending within your means and you think carefully before you buy don't feel bad.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Nope; not even a little bit (and, at last count, I own 56). I'm divorced for years, no more paying child-support, and I buy for my twenty-something daughters, as well. I don't use (or have any) credit cards, so all my purchases are with cash or debit card. I've never been late with any regular payment; i.e., rent, utilities, cable-TV, etc.

Now, there are some fragrances which I bought early-on, that no longer give me the pleasure they once did (and I sell 'em at very reasonable prices to people on the B&B shaving forum). But these days I buy higher-end products, and I do test them before buying... sometimes.

Hey! If you're into guilt, go to church!
    Last edited by JBHoren; 30th October 2008 at 11:17 PM.

Nope! Not even a little. It makes me happier actually.

Kinda like playing Pokemon. Gotta catch smell 'em all!

Morning Star

Guilt is a waste of time. Screw it. The only important lesson is that there are actions and their consequences. If you can live with the consequences, it's all just fine. You're going to be dead a really long time. Enjoy yourself now.

Blog Entries

i never feel guilty.

but at the same time, i never wanna be someone with 100s of bottles....no offense, of course to people who do have 100s....i just feel that my enjoyment would be less with too many.

but i always enjoy my 'roster'...and i'm never ashamed of this hobby OR any of my other hobbies. live it large, if you can...i say.

Guilty? No. Bored of a scent? Yes.

Post Re: Do you ever feel guilty about the number of fragrances you own?

No never. I don't have much time for guilt. You only get one ticket on this ride, so I'm busy enjoying the ride.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

never feel guilty about what you do or like in life, because if you start feeling guilty then you shouldn't have started in the first place i think. got one life to live and thats it, i suggest we all live it to the fullest.

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    Nope! Not even a little. It makes me happier actually.

Kinda like playing Pokemon. Gotta catch smell 'em all!
    Exactly my point!!! Makes me sane from school, puts a smile on my face everytime I get a new bottle and especially when I get compliments that I smell good.

GOTTA SMELL EM ALL!!!
    Last edited by heymynameismark; 31st October 2008 at 12:51 AM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Do you ever feel guilty about the number of fragrances you own?

Nope!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Because I never use money on perfume that ought to have been used for more important things like food, bills etc.

We all have discretionary money-- if I choose to use it on perfume instead of on clothes or iPods or travel, that's my prerogative.

I have three full bottles and a couple of decants, so not really.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Because I never use money on perfume that ought to have been used for more important things like food, bills etc.

We all have discretionary money-- if I choose to use it on perfume instead of on clothes or iPods or travel, that's my prerogative.
    Yeah that is the key. This summer they raised my school tuition by 1000 USD per semester, so in theory I should not be buying fragrances. Moreover, other than perfumes, I am a man that enjoys certain level of frugality and moderation. I do not have an Ipod, I love my 4 year old cell phone, my 1 year shoes and my last century but ultra economic Toyota. I guess I should forget about grad school and just finance my EDT acquisition disorder .
    But one of the things that used to get me is that I am a privileged member of my family. Some of my close relatives earn as much money in a week than what I spend on fragrances alone. Now, I do not feel guilty about me, but I wish things were different for them .
    Last edited by irish; 31st October 2008 at 01:31 AM.

Blog Entries

We do not deny natures senses of hearing, sight and feel. I see no reason to deny myself any less the diversity of fragrance.

Blog Entries

Red face Re: Do you ever feel guilty about the number of fragrances you own?

It's art. We can live without it, but who wants to?

No, because my humble collection was recently lost in shipping when I moved from Europe to the US.

On the bright side I just received an order of Rive Gauche, Rochas Man, and Dolce and Gabbanna pH from Scented Monkey. Yahoo!

Wink Re: Do you ever feel guilty about the number of fragrances you own?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    It's art. We can live without it, but who wants to?
    "Man does not live by bread alone."

"Art is equipment for living."
    Last edited by Xephon23; 31st October 2008 at 02:16 AM.

Blog Entries

I don't feel guilty. What Astaroth said. However, if you feel bad about spending the money on a luxury, then I recommend some things that I do:

(1) Live poorly in another area of your life, or maybe even several, to help balance things. I find this to be a morally helpful thing in any case. I have old, rusty, and fuel-efficient wheels, and generally fix stuff rather than replacing it. This isn't for everybody, but it's not a big stretch for those of us raised by Depression and WWII survivors. It leaves more cash for everything, including fragrance, too.

(2) Give more to charity.

(3) Give away some of your fragrances, as samples or bottles.

(4) Only bottle on the stuff you really love, and get samples for the rest.

Finally, if people think it's weird that you own a lot of fragrance, and that's what's really bothering you, just be honest about it. You want to be a fragrance expert. You simply cannot become a real one without owning a lot more fragrance than most people (you could do it with only samples, but it's still a ton of fragrance). Firearms authorities, golf pros, craft teachers, whatever - if you don't own a boatload of crap associated with your passion, you will NEVER become an expert. Gun nut, golf fanatic, perfume freak, climbing bum - people will have names for you, but they are the ones who have no hope of ever gaining true expertise. You do. Pat yourself on the back. You're a colognoisseur (Quarry's term). The world needs a few. You volunteered.

I like the previous post by RP. Plenty of good sense in his comments.

I, for one, do not deal in guilt. With one exception: I feel bad when I hurt another living creature.

Now, I have felt a little *stupid* after a less-than-properly-researched fragrance buy! But as others have said, one can always give or trade or sell a no-longer-wanted bottle.
    Last edited by Haunani; 31st October 2008 at 02:21 PM.

I do not have any reason to feel guilty about owning anything, be it fragrance or other items. I am not taking anything away from anyone else by enjoying myself and purchasing that which brings great joy to me. If everyone on this earth had a little more joy and a little less guilt we would have a very different experience here. If buying fragrance makes you feel guilty there are several choices that I posit for you to consider. You can either:

1. feel guilty and do it anyway;
    2. stop buying fragrances;
    3. buy fewer fragrances at a time, or less frequently, or
    3. realize that you are doing something that you love which makes you feel good and are harming no one in the process. Enjoy yourself.

If, however, you are compulsively buying and are doing so by spending beyond your means, then that is a situation that you might consider addressing; but I suggest that if that is the case then it ultimately has nothing to do with fragrance buying per se. It is my experience that people who compulsively spend beyond their means will continue doing so until the spending compulsion itself is dealt with directly. It ultimately has nothing to do with the thing being purchased. If it wasn't this it would be something else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    ...realize that you are doing something that you love which makes you feel good and are harming no one in the process. Enjoy yourself.
    Hear, hear!

I also agree about the shopaholic component. If it's not this, it's something else. One must deal with that issue, not fragrance buying per se.

Not in the least

Hell No - I Need More!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Yes, I do feel guilty at times . But I also "...Live poorly in another area of your [my] life..." , so it does balance out. Guilt keeps me in check.

Sometimes i feel guilty...but then i feel guilty about feeling guilty.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Guilty of course! And that's good, because it will stop me from ever owning 200 bottles.
    I also know that I have a one way ticket only, but I also enjoy traveling with little baggage.
    Last edited by narcus; 31st October 2008 at 10:51 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    No never. I don't have much time for guilt. You only get one ticket on this ride, so I'm busy enjoying the ride.
    Exactly

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Sometimes i feel guilty...but then i feel guilty about feeling guilty.
    That would be called meta-guilt. :bounce:

It's also important to consider that guilt is an emotion, and it tends to get triggered by something tangible. There are all kinds of intangible things in our lives which do not easily trigger guilt, but could do so if allowed to. Examples:

(1) I am probably losing much less money per month buying fragrances than I lose by not being more aggressive in my contract work and investment portfolio choices. It's not tangible ... until I look back over the course of my life after retirement.
    (2) One of my cars depreciates by about $800 per month, even if I don't put any miles on it. Not tangible ... until I go to sell it someday or trade it in for something better.
    (3) I should take better care of my health now, while I am young. Not doing so will incur much greater health costs in the future. It's not tangible now, since I am healthy. But some hefty price will be paid later on, probably. Hell, just breathing the air in Los Angeles is a bad decision I could feel guilty about!
    (4) Not rigorously policing how I spend my free time undoubtedly creates bad thinking habits that cost me money, peace of mind, other opportunities lost, etc. Not tangible ... but still having serious implications.

Ultimately it's a balancing act. Put the clamps on yourself too much, and you'll be miserable feeling as if you are in a self-designed prison. Loosen them completely and you'll probably be miserable sitting in a real prison.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 31st October 2008 at 08:59 AM.

Great comments, all.

No guilt here. I've always considered a bad frag purchase a learning experience and moved on.

Thankfully, I really don't make bad frag purchases anymore, after many years of learning!

The exploration process is fun, and I can afford the hobby easily (after several decades of being a poor student) at this time. When I had less income, I owned frags, but only one or two, and those bottles were from the department store and got completely used up. I would purchase frags on credit years ago (again, a dept store bottle of Coco, for example), but that would be a special treat, not a habit. Kind of like McDonald's used to be when I was a kid - a once every five or six months treat.

No because I told myself 5 would be the total and I have just switched in and out to stay within that number.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 31st October 2008 at 05:43 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

no never...

however the guy in the mirror does remind me ocassionally...i just show him the finger- spray the SOTD and leave

I don't feel guilty at all about my fragrance wardrobe, but then I only have sixteen full bottles at the moment, which is a lot but not so much when compared to others here.

Im often told its a waste of money but no , I dont feel guilty

Sometimes. Then I usually sell some or give some away. I gave my Mom a bunch of stuff from my wife last night, and I give my Dad scents sometimes. I also give away tons of clothes to friends and family. I also give...aww crap, I'm just a very generous guy, to be blunt about it. I gave my Dad two drivers and a hybrid (golf clubs).

I've had the same TV for 16 years. We drive used cars. I pay my tithes to the Lord. I buy new suits for less than $150 off ebay. I buy almost everything I own on clearance.

To be honest, I'm pretty freakin' hard on myself. Scents are really my sole extravagance. So...I'm tired of feeling guilty about it!!

I dont really feel guilty, I do think I could have better spent my money on some of my purchases though. I need to often remind myself quality over quantity...

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by merseyboy View Post
    whether it is other peoples' comments that might make you feel a bit guilty or perhaps your own realisation that maybe you have too many scents that get you feeling a little guilty. i know i get that way sometimes but then i justify it to myself by saying there are far worse 'vices'. i am not sure though how many scents is too many, i own about 27-30 but i know many on this forum own considerably more than that but i also know i am certainly going to add more to my own collection since i always seem to have a list of at least two or three 'must have' scents. i don't think i am addicted to buying fragrances but i cannot forsee any time when i won't be purchasing them. i think we all believe/hope that the next one we buy will be 'the holy grail' of fragrances and i suspect that is what drives/motivates many on this forum. am i right or wrong?
    I stopped looking for the grail already. I have found my hits and misses have not been in vain however. It is excellent to have a trimmed down rotation of the best of the best of the best.....and the only way you can do this is by trial and error via samples and/or bottles.

Guilt?

What is this guilt of which you speak?
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Guilt is a waste of time. Screw it. The only important lesson is that there are actions and their consequences. If you can live with the consequences, it's all just fine. You're going to be dead a really long time. Enjoy yourself now.
    perfectly put!!

it's kinda painful to see money flying outta wallet...but when thy postman cometh with thy parcel, you rejoiceth like theres no tomorrow!!

Absolutely not...however i do feel guilty about not enjoying this wonderful hobby of stopping to smell the roses earlier in life!

Yeah, I feel guilty... that I don't have enough.

No guilt here.
    I own just 5 fragrances and 4 of these wont be replaced once they're empty.

Guilty? No! Wasteful and foolhardy, yes! I'm like a rat that can't stop eating the rat poison, because it tastes so good.

I do feel guilty sometimes
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Not at all, everybody has a hobby. I like reading about perfume, I like smelling as many as I can and I like swapping for it. It keeps me off the street and makes me smile while I live far away from family. You need something to make you feel happy and sadly that often costs money.

If people call it an addiction..well it's healthier than smoking or drinking heavily. So screw ' em.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

No worse than a wine connoisseur, with a large collection of fine wines. Yet, strangely, this is not considered as excessive or guilt-worthy as collecting and enjoying fragrances. Our humble hobby is cheaper, healthier, doesn't take up as much space or have special storage considerations. And someone who smells nice is generally much more appreciated than someone who's drunk from sampling their vintages down in the cellar!
    I only get the guilts when I blind buy and make a mistake!

1. Buy the things you absolutely cannot live without
    2. Buy only one bottle per month (two bottles, three, four, whatever your money allows, but stick to the limit you put for yourself)

Keeps me looking forward to my next purchase, and makes me enjoy it more when I've bought it. And no guilt at all here because you know you've set your limits and you're working by a plan.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    No worse than a wine connoisseur, with a large collection of fine wines. Yet, strangely, this is not considered as excessive or guilt-worthy as collecting and enjoying fragrances. Our humble hobby is cheaper, healthier, doesn't take up as much space or have special storage considerations. And someone who smells nice is generally much more appreciated than someone who's drunk from sampling their vintages down in the cellar!
    I only get the guilts when I blind buy and make a mistake!
    Wine does not depreciate as much as fragrance.

I do in the sense that I feel as if I got into this the wrong way. When I decided to explore fragrances, I started by just buying anything I read about that I thought I would like. Then I impulsively “fell in love” with many of my purchases and started writing hasty, uninformed reviews about them. Now I realize that I really don’t know much about this at all and as a result have amassed a ragtag collection of things, some of which I like and some I don’t. Thus, I have decided to basically start over, step back a bit, learn, sample, and take things more slowly. With that approach, maybe I won’t feel as guilty about future purchases.

I feel guilty about not being able to use them all. I always feel that they will go bad before I can finish. I will never throw them out before they are done.

Mmmmm......honestly yes.....But now I didnt.....

I think...well, I m 30, I don t drink, dont smoke, dont spend much money, I m single....Why guilty?

I need some pleasure , and fragances gives me lot of pleasure.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never.