Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,534

    Default Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder - a review

    I know what you're thinking guys...this is a woman's fragrance, right? Believe me. You guys can wear this one.

    All of you amber enthusiasts out there - check this out: This one starts out soft and cushiony amber, very toned down with just a hint of sweetness. The first time I tested it I expected much more spice from it, but I soon realized that this was just my scent association working in my mind. Amber Sultan has kind of made it easy to love an amber with a bucket load of spices added. When I smell an amber without it, my nose almost feels like there's an empty space in the air.

    The ylang ylang is almost undetectable - which is fine with me, since most of the time this note smells like cold cream to my nose. I do smell a light floral touch in the middle notes (rose?) but it's dusted with cinnamon. This part reminds me of Bois de Paradis by Parfums Delrae, just not so green. Then the scent ends on a blanket of sandalwood and vanilla.

    I think it's nice to see a department store brand like Lauder branching out in the amber category, even if it is a 'safe' amber. Even still, the blending and ingredients smell top notch. I could easily see me testing this blind and guessing that this was a L'Artisan Parfumeur release. It's quality is that evident. Lauder also has a parfum / extrait version of this, which I'd love to smell (and its likely more resinous) but it's slightly out of my price range ($300 / 1 oz)

    For fans of Blue Amber by Montale or Ambre Precieux by MPG who are looking for a more accessible amber for the fall/winter season - give PCAYY a try. No one will know that you're wearing a woman's fragrance.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    This one starts out soft and cushiony amber, very toned down with just a hint of sweetness. The first time I tested it I expected much more spice from it, but I soon realized that this was just my scent association working in my mind. Amber Sultan has kind of made it easy to love an amber with a bucket load of spices added. When I smell an amber without it, my nose almost feels like there's an empty space in the air.
    This is a fantastic observation! It's amazing how soon we begin to associate a particular rendition of a fragrance as the benchmark for others to follow...this illustrates how intertwined our noses and brains actually are! I think this is remarkable, and thank you Mike, for describing this phenomenon so eloquently!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder - a review

    Thanks Mike,

    I am fascinated by amber because it was an accord I initially struggled to detect. Reviews would mention it's "radiant warmth" and I just couldn't get it.

    Since testing Amber Sultan twice it's "burned" in my mind as "the" amber reference so I surely understand your association with it.

    With all the recent talk in the forums re: Black Orchid I'm keen to try "women's" frags with an open mind. BTW - I love NR for Her
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder - a review

    Cool mp23 .. to my nose Ambre Sultan is far from an amber benchmark, but this new EL with amber at the forefront cushioned by light florals and sandalwood/vanilla...is the amber note less forceful and resinous than in Ambre Precieux ?
    -

  5. #5

    Default Re: Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder - a review

    I was not crazy about this one. Maybe it is the testers.
    I absolutely love Amber Sultan and for a sweeter amber I would pick Ambre Fetiche by Annick Goutal.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder - a review

    I don't think I am smelling the same fragrance! I have a manufacturer sample, and it really smells like vanilla cake batter and hairspray on me. But then again, I had trouble with Sensuous--didn't get the sweet woods in that one, just a nasty cinnamon wax candle.

    I don't think my nose is broken, lol But it does make me wonder what's going on, especially given that I have good luck with many of the other EL scents.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder - a review

    Thanks for the review Mike - I'm a big time amber slut. Is it exclusive to one store, or can I find it at all Estee Lauder counters?
    Another day, another Easter egg hunt!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st October 2008 at 04:33 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder - a review

    This sounds pleasant... and perfect timing too, i'm on an Amber high as of now


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  9. #9
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,534

    Default Re: Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    This is a fantastic observation! It's amazing how soon we begin to associate a particular rendition of a fragrance as the benchmark for others to follow...this illustrates how intertwined our noses and brains actually are! I think this is remarkable, and thank you Mike, for describing this phenomenon so eloquently!
    Thanks ubu. It's always nice to shake up our olfactory associations now-and-then, I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Thanks Mike,

    I am fascinated by amber because it was an accord I initially struggled to detect. Reviews would mention it's "radiant warmth" and I just couldn't get it.

    Since testing Amber Sultan twice it's "burned" in my mind as "the" amber reference so I surely understand your association with it.

    With all the recent talk in the forums re: Black Orchid I'm keen to try "women's" frags with an open mind. BTW - I love NR for Her
    You're welcome jathanas. Try not to limit yourself to scent based on gender - just smell anything and wear what you like. If you like amber you might want to smell the new Agent Provacateur Strip, a woman's scent with a healthy dose of amber. Kind of hard to source, but I think Saks has it (?)

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Cool mp23 .. to my nose Ambre Sultan is far from an amber benchmark, but this new EL with amber at the forefront cushioned by light florals and sandalwood/vanilla...is the amber note less forceful and resinous than in Ambre Precieux ?
    Yes it it less forceful than the MPG. But then, foreceful is a MPG house style, IMO. Lauder has rounded all of the sharp corners off of this amber note, it slips right in your nose very comfortably. But it's not boring. Soft could be boring, but in this case its not. Plus the vanilla is not too sweet.

  10. #10
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,534

    Default Re: Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I was not crazy about this one. Maybe it is the testers.
    I absolutely love Amber Sultan and for a sweeter amber I would pick Ambre Fetiche by Annick Goutal.
    I haven't tried the Goutal. Maybe I have a sample...I have to check the pile.

    Only recently, have I branched out into testing other ambers, since Ambre Sultan had me so enraptured before I was happy with just that one. A sweeter amber is not necessarily what I think I am looking for, even though I think PCAYY is sweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I don't think I am smelling the same fragrance! I have a manufacturer sample, and it really smells like vanilla cake batter and hairspray on me. But then again, I had trouble with Sensuous--didn't get the sweet woods in that one, just a nasty cinnamon wax candle.

    I don't think my nose is broken, lol But it does make me wonder what's going on, especially given that I have good luck with many of the other EL scents.
    Your nose is not broken Asha, maybe there's a EL base that doesn't work with your skin chemistry.

    I remember your comments about this scent on the women's board, where we discussed the pros and cons of this and Youth Dew Amber Nude, the discontinued Tom Ford/Estee Lauder scent. IMO they are worlds apart, when it comes to amber.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder - a review

    Tried the parfum version at NM yesterday. Extremely smooth, slightly sweet, and well balanced - sort of a vanilla amber tea, a tea without any smoke, that is. The amber isn't syrupy and resinous; the ylang ylang adds a custard like richness, giving it a quality approaching niche. Perhaps it's similar to Yves Rocher's Voille de Ambre - a sheer take on amber, but without that slightly medicinal harshness that VdA opens with. Nice, if you find Ambre Sultan and Ambre Precieux too thick and you want something smooth. None of the Estee Lauder chemical warfare, house notes lurking anywhere, thank god.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 2nd November 2008 at 01:37 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder - a review

    I went to Nordstrom's yesterday, and they had a tester of the EDP, so I thought I would try it to be sure my sample wasn't off. Still got the vanilla cake batter at first, and the hairspray note didn't seem as bad this time. I tried to get another sample, but they were already out...

  13. #13
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,534

    Default Re: Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Tried the parfum version at NM yesterday. Extremely smooth, slightly sweet, and well balanced - sort of a vanilla amber tea, a tea without any smoke, that is. The amber isn't syrupy and resinous; the ylang ylang adds a custard like richness, giving it a quality approaching niche. Perhaps it's similar to Yves Rocher's Voille de Ambre - a sheer take on amber, but without that slightly medicinal harshness that VdA opens with. Nice, if you find Ambre Sultan and Ambre Precieux too thick and you want something smooth. None of the Estee Lauder chemical warfare, house notes lurking anywhere, thank god.
    OMG I'm jealous. Did the SA open up a box and let you smell it - they never have testers of the parfum at the Lauder counters??

  14. #14

    Default Re: Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder - a review

    NM had 3 different testers out. The perfume is the one with the jeweled top. Saks and NM always have testers of the Guerlain parfums out, too. But those are always in the squat, ugly, little bottles.

  15. #15
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,534

    Default Re: Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    NM had 3 different testers out. The perfume is the one with the jeweled top. Saks and NM always have testers of the Guerlain parfums out, too. But those are always in the squat, ugly, little bottles.
    Well, I'm going to check next time I'm at Saks or Neimans, but I'm not holding my breath.

    You lucky New Yorkers!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Private Collection Amber & Ylang Ylang by Estee Lauder - a review

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Well, I'm going to check next time I'm at Saks or Neimans, but I'm not holding my breath.

    You lucky New Yorkers!
    I was in NM Charlotte, North Carolina. We don't have a Neimans in New York City, Bergdorf Goodman is owned by Neimans. The Saks here is a zoo; the first floor is like Grand Central Station during rush hour. There seems to be a sales person for every tester they have. That's why I prefer going to NM and Saks at malls, they're often empty w/sleepy SAs.

Similar Threads

  1. Best Fragrance From Macys
    By leor_77 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 17th October 2012, 01:22 AM
  2. Parfumerie Generale Private Collection L'Ombre Fauve - Mini Review
    By Amit in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 9th October 2010, 02:33 AM
  3. More about Youth Dew Amber Nude.
    By cedriceccentric in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 13th July 2010, 11:35 PM
  4. Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder - a review
    By mikeperez23 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25th March 2008, 02:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •