Code of Conduct

Default Miller Harris: l'Air de Rien - The Real Skank

Forget the search for that long lost 70's musk, this is the real thing: the smell of a greasy, suede jacket left in a 10th Arr., 1 star flea bag, circa 1973. Get the picture? I do and I love it! Now if I could only stop the mold from re-growing on the lining.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st October 2008 at 04:34 PM.

Default Re: Miller Harris: l'Air de Rien - The Real Skank

I ordered a sample of this on luckyscent awhile back and this is how my review went in my thread

Miller Harris L'Air de Rien--Back to disappointment. Went from Cool Water/GIT esque to within second a musky/airy smell that smells like a pair of wet jeans or wet dog. Just not pleasant at all.

I did edit it and said it went back to the CW/GIT type smell later but it still had the musk that I found ruined it.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 31st October 2008 at 04:40 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I'm with you Ruggles! It's such an incredible scent - It's a dirty little thing with just the right touches of amber and vanilla in the drydown. It's rough, sultry, and unapologetic. It'll stay with you for the entire day as well - it pops its head up just now and then for hours and hours on me. It really draws you in! This is one of the most unique, incredible scents from Miller Harris.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I have sample ( thanks jrd4t) and I have to agree. it's awesome. it also reminds me of Kilians Taste of Heaven

I own it...and for sampling I think it must be sprayed. All MH bottles come with a regular cap and a separate atomizer so you can choose. I used to splash it on, but it didn't smell as good as spraying. The castoreum, amber and sandalwood really come out when sprayed. When splashed, it smells like a flat, lifeless, "wet dog" amber.

Sounds like it might be up my alley - I'm always on the hunt for the lost, dirty animals of the fragrance world.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I own it...and for sampling I think it must be sprayed. All MH bottles come with a regular cap and a separate atomizer so you can choose. I used to splash it on, but it didn't smell as good as spraying. The castoreum, amber and sandalwood really come out when sprayed. When splashed, it smells like a flat, lifeless, "wet dog" amber.
    The bad part is that I purchased a bag of atomizers from Accessories for Fragrances and used it with that and still got wet dog.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I happen to like the smell of a wet dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    LOL, fair enough. Still, it does smell much more flat when it is splashed on rather than sprayed, especially in the top notes. I really enjoy L'AdR, and I agree it is rather skanky, more than some musks that are supposedly skanky.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Sounds like it might be up my alley - I'm always on the hunt for the lost, dirty animals of the fragrance world.
    Same here

Nothing satisfies me more than a discovery of a new animalic/skanky scent!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Lynn Harris takes chances, love her.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 1st November 2008 at 05:55 AM.

I thought it smelled of smelly feet at first... I forced myself to try to like it. Then I found it really kinky.

This is definitely a different one. I wore it yesterday and found myself being moody all day. Last time I wore the sample I felt unconfortable all day. Like I was in somebody else's house snooping around. I will wait a couple of days and wear it again and see how I feel.

Basenotes Institution

OMG - this stuff is so dirty. Sampling it tonite for the 1st time (thanks Ruggles)

When I first tested Musc Koublai Khan by Serge Lutens I really expected it to smell like this one does: sexy, musky skin. But I am anosmic to the musk in MKK. However I can clearly smell the skank of L'ADR. Wow!

I can totally see what arwen_elf means - I smell unlike myself...I smell like I have put someone else's skin on and am walking around in their body. Do I like that effect? I'm not sure.

Reminds me of the odd skin effect I got from Dans Tes Bras by Frederic Malle but instead of florals there's an ambery sweetness at the edges (think Shalimar, but not powdery).

I took Asha's advice above and sprayed my sample on too. I do not smell the wet dog accord. I remember clearly smelling that smell in Secretions Magnifiques.

I didn't know that this scent was created for Jane Birkin.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th March 2009 at 01:22 AM.

There are two fragrances at the top of my must-have list. L'Air de Rien is one of them.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    There are two fragrances at the top of my must-have list. L'Air de Rien is one of them.
    The other one is Laura Tonatto ISS? :-)

If someone is willing to take a chance, this is a pretty good and "dirty" musk- if you aren't fixated on all synthetics smell cheap. If you are in NYC, you can go check some cheapies out yourself at their location:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-MUSK-3ML-w...1%7C240%3A1318
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Dangit Ruggles! Your adept skill at being a fragrance testing/buying enabler is encouraging me to add this to to my test list. Just when I am considering bottles of a couple of Etat Libre d'Orange scents, you post this thread. Then again, I wouldn't have any other way. Thanks for the tip.

I tested this on Sunday, but couldn't part with it on Monday so gave it the second test-drive. Love at first sniff!

Here's my review:
    Dirty, soft and sweet are the first words that come to my mind.

Wearing L'Air de Rien feels like wearing an old flannel shirt that has been worn by at least one generation of men in your family before you, a shirt that has been worn and washed, washed and worn, but still carries a hint of good honest male sweat. A shirt gone so soft it feels like a caress on your skin

This is a very intimate scent, gentle and familiar, cosy and comfortable. I feel I'm home wearing it.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Too bad Bigelow didn't have this one in their Miller Harris clearance sale. Was looking forward to trying it and possibly getting it cheap. Oh well.

Apparently, it created for Jane Birkin. Too bad Serge Gainsbourg didn't live long enough to smell it.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Blog Entries

When I tried this I got "musty old book smell". I put a dehumidifier in the basement to get this smell OUT.

This is really unique. I have sampled several from this line and only this and Fleurs de Sel have intrigyed me. I had several hopes for several of the other MH scents, but to my nose they are a variation of orange blossom, something musky and then something else....

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Yup! Yup!! Yuuup!!!

This is reeaal yummy skank! Just got my bottle this evening. Organic, animalic amber, vanilla and musk is my immediate impression. Very well blended, almost linear, but in a complex manner. I have not detected any evolution in 45 minutes. I get the "skin" association and can appreciate reviewers' wet-dog references, albeit a freshly bathed wet dog. I know i am going to love this to the last drop. Definitely going to be a repeat-buy.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Broke out this sample because of this thread and have been enjoying it all day. I wasn't too into it the first time I sampled it - but hey that's why samples get filed away for testing again later down the road. It's quite the gorgeous funk, and it does last forever. The base is a great, deep vanilla/amber.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Amazing longevity. Sprayed it on the back of my hand just before 8pm last night. Woke up at 6 am this morning and it was still going strong. Still no evolution. I can still smell it faintly as i type, and that is after bath and drive to the office.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

So I'm very late to this party but I just thought I'd mention my appreciation for this fragrance as well. I tried it a while ago and was intrigued but not really taken by it. Recently, I felt the need for something a little more unusual, daring, and while this isn't daring, it's certainly unusual.

Mike, I'm surprised you mention this not being powdery because my first impression is one of "powder" but I'm pretty new to that sensation in perfumery. The other odd association I get with this is, right there in the beginning, under the sweet powder, the smell of dog breath, or something like dog food. Am I crazy? It's there every time.

And finally, Futami, I would never have made the association between A Taste of Heaven and this had you not mentioned it, but now, well into the dry down of L'Air de Rien, I see this very clearly. There is definitely a similarity between the two dry down phases.

Anyway, I'm thinking this may be infatuation, not a long term relationship, but for now, I can't get enough of it. I think L'Air de Rien may have just opened a new door in my fragrance appreciation journey.
    Last edited by nthny; 7th December 2009 at 08:44 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    ...Mike, I'm surprised you mention this not being powdery because my first impression is one of "powder" but I'm pretty new to that sensation in perfumery. The other odd association I get with this is, right there in the beginning, under the sweet powder, the smell of dog breath, or something like dog food. Am I crazy? It's there every time...
    Well I don't really remember it being powdery on my skin - but I must admit I have come a long way with powdery scents, as many of them have become favorites of mine (I recently bought a bottle of Flower (Winter Flowers) by Kenzo) so perhaps my powder threshold has been raised?

In any event yes, the smell of an animal is definitely distinct in LADR. It doesn't stick around too long, so I find it tolerable and quite exciting. I smell the same sensation, under the surface, in Rose 31 by Le Labo.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 7th December 2009 at 09:29 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sur la Plage

I really love this funky, dirty fragrance!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I love it. This one is in my top ten. I wore it to go see the Addams Family musical, as I thought it was appropriate for the tone of the show. I can imagine the inside of their house smelling like this!

I have to try my sample again after these good words. Struck me as much sweeter than I had imagined, but I do remember coming back to the drydown after several hours and being really pleased.

With L'Air de Rien, Lynn Harris asks the proverbial question: Do you want to funk with me?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th December 2009 at 11:48 PM.

All this talk about l'Air de Rien makes me want to wear it. I must find my sample.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Yup! Yup!! Yuuup!!! This is reeaal yummy skank! . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    When I tried this I got "musty old book smell" . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I'm always on the hunt for the lost, dirty animals . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by beltz View Post
    I thought it smelled of smelly feet at first....
    Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I'm with you Ruggles! It's such an incredible scent - It's a dirty little thing . . .
    Don't we love to find the dark side! Now if I created a fragrance brand that used these descriptives as names for the fragrance even Etat Libre d' Orange would be envious. We have some names. Of course they would sound better if they were in French!

dirty little thing!
    WET DOG
    SMELLY FEET at first
    LOST DIRTY ANIMALS
    real YUMMY SKANK
    Musty OLD BOOK

Makes me want to try this one too~

Forget the search for that long lost 70's musk, this is the real thing: the smell of a greasy, suede jacket left in a 10th Arr., 1 star flea bag, circa 1973. Get the picture? I do and I love it! Now if I could only stop the mold from re-growing on the lining.
    I adore this stuff- got a sample from LuckyScent and fell in love, and had to order a full bottle. It's rare for me to go ga-ga over a scent, but this one had me at the get go.

I see that this is your first post, selwynne; welcome!

I have had a sample of this for a while now; will test this evening and report back!

thanks so much for the welcome!! I should have stated that it was my first post, but I was too excited about this scent!
    looking forward to see what you have to say about it!

To someone who never smelled, is the "skank" similar to the skank in Dali PH or Lauder for Men?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    To someone who never smelled, is the "skank" similar to the skank in Dali PH or Lauder for Men?
    No.

The MH is much more...human smelling. A skank that is related in some way, to the smell of a persons body/skin/odor.

I think the SD and Lauder are a bit more animalic.

Hope that makes sense.

Damp books and pipes - why, it's an old-fashioned book shop! And none the worse for that. I find it fun and interesting but not sexy, which is a shame as it started out quite boozy.

I own this fragrance, and think it`s very unique. I do not wear it often, because I can`t decide if it`s to feminine for me. After all, it is made for actress Jane Birkin..

I tried L'Air de Rien for the 1st time yesterday. At first, I couldn't smell much. No oak moss, no amber, no vanilla, no musk. I got a vaguely salty impression that reminded me of Sel de Vetiver (vetiver isn't one of the listed ingredients). Hours later, I began to get the skanky animal effect. But it took literally several hours for me to even be able to smell that on myself. I loved it, but like Mike Perez I also had alien feeling from it, as if I were wearing someone else's worn clothing, someone I don't know that intimately. It's a little strange, and I'd like to spend some more time with it. I don't find it particularly feminine or masculine. It's just unique. Very nice.

I don't smell skank (whatever that is) or anything animal - just a sweetened, musty smell. I would never wear it but it can be attractive and I like it on my girlfriend. A bit too sweet for a masculine IMO

I don't usually mind skanky fragrances but this managed to be just a tad gross. Like someone or something has drooled over your hand, rather organic and real smelling. Not bad though, certainly interesting, will have to try again.

Smells like the inside of the old couple's house, just down the block from me. Bal A Versailles edt is similar, but a bit more finished.

Interesting Russel. I don't like skanky fragrances as a general rule but I really like L'Air de Rien and I have it. It really intigues me. I find it difficult to describe though. It's quite unique I think. What is it? Well it's a sort of dusty ambery vanilla with something in the first half hour or so that smells a bit like dirty poopy plasticine. That dissipates during the development and it sweetens a little bit. It gets a bit drier and almost woody in the end. I don't get Luca Turin's boozy kisses at all, but the underwear? Yes.

I said that it was quite unique but it has just occurred to me that it may share something with Dzing? If anyone cares to compare them that would be really interesting.

Happy holidays Rus. See you on the other side.

I sprayed it once a couple of years ago. The top was nice, I got both the booze and some nice animalics. I agree on it being more Bal a versailles edc than Dzing (that to my nose is much more animalic musky). But then, after 10 min all the good stuff was gone and I was barely smelling anything. I'll have to retry, but that experience was a bit of a disappointment.

cacio

Any idea about the musk, is it natural or synthetic?

The one I smelled was synthetic. Not a bad thing per se, as long as it lasted.

cacio

There a recent thread with some info. regarding this one here
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...-reformulation

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I don't smell skank (whatever that is) or anything animal - just a sweetened, musty smell. I would never wear it but it can be attractive and I like it on my girlfriend. A bit too sweet for a masculine IMO
    Same here, nothing animalic or skank-like. Smells a bit like Parfums de Nicolai Pour Homme.