Code of Conduct

Default Does Anyone Want to Share Their Secret Formulas?

I am a complete amateur - a noob - at making scents. I guess some people don't have the noses for it, so I was wondering if anyone was confident or kind enough to share some of their favorite formulations?
    Last edited by supracuhz; 1st November 2008 at 12:51 AM.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Does Anyone Want to Share Their Secret Formulas?

one eye of newt....

Blog Entries

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Buahahahah

4 whole turkey giblets chopped in 4ths, a small plastic baggie, 1/32 oz. of toothpaste, 4 nickels, 1 cotton t-shirt, 2 live hamsters (medium size), 1/16 oz of fingernail clippings, 2 raw onions (preferably red), 3 small slices of pepperoni, and 6 doritos (original flavor). Add 1 cup of water, then blend for 45 seconds and then bottle and enjoy. I know this sounds weird, but it seriously smells just like Kouros. LOL.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 1st November 2008 at 01:21 AM.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

This is not an exact recipe. I can't find it, actually, anymore.

But to make approx 3.7 ml of what used to be my favorite essential oil mix

0.5 ml peru balsam
    2 ml amber
    1 ml champa
    (or was that 1 ml amber, and 2 ml champa????)
    0.2 ml anise

The problem with copying the recipe is that this particular peru balsam I used had already been reconstituted in something else. It wasn't as strong as some others I have purchased later. Keep in mind that higher concentrations of peru balsam can be a skin irritant (at the very least).
    Last edited by Aiona; 1st November 2008 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    4 whole turkey giblets chopped in 4ths, a small plastic baggie, 1/32 oz. of toothpaste, 4 nickels, 1 cotton t-shirt, 2 live hamsters (medium size), 1/16 oz of fingernail clippings, 2 raw onions (preferably red), 3 small slices of pepperoni, and 6 doritos (original flavor). Add 1 cup of water, then blend for 45 seconds and then bottle and enjoy. I know this sounds weird, but it seriously smells just like Kouros. LOL.
    I tried it, but what ended up happening was the live hamsters made this horrible squeak when i put them with the nickels and turned the blender on. The nickels went flying and broke the blender and the glass that holds the liquid shattered. Now I have a dead hamster skewered with fingernail clippings, a bunch of toothpaste, and onions over my walls, and whats left of the other hamster is making this funny noise like a cat being slowly eaten to death. Should I be concerned?
    Last edited by supracuhz; 1st November 2008 at 04:56 AM.

I thought you were supposed to put the stuff from the hamster CAGE, not the hamsters themselves...

You've got simple formulas here but unfortunately, only in French ...

http://nicolasdebarry.blogspot.com/
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Honestly, I think you should at the least try to formulate and play with raw materials before you say you do not have the nose for it. People have more talent than they think that they do !

I posted two of my formulas here: http://jaimeleparfum.wordpress.com/.
    Last edited by scentophile; 2nd November 2008 at 09:22 PM.

I guess the answer is no, nobody wants to reveal their secret formulas, but that's not to say they won't help. I have no training whatsoever and started amateur perfumery for reasons I can't remember. I see my scent experiments as sketches, compared to the full blown oil paintings that are commercially available scents. Where I start is trying to create/recreate the base accord or two of a fragrance family. For example, it's no secret that the classic fougere accord in men's fragrance is composed of oakmoss, coumarin (or tonka bean if you're going natural), lavender, and bergamot. From there, where you go lies the secret. Putz around with percentages, add stuff you like to it, and see where it goes. If you hit a snag, I'm sure people will have an easier time answering more specifics. Truth be told, if someone up and gave me the secret formula for a great fragrance, it wouldn't be as gratifying as if I had come up with a mediocre one myself. So perhaps ask for the backbone for a type of fragrance you want to create, build up the ingredients that may go into it, and see where it goes.

Trying and failing is the best way to get started with making perfumes. Start on a small scale, in terms of quantity and price. There's no point buying expensive absolutes when they would probably go to waste.

Have fun with it!

Lol, I gave up trying to make my own fragrances. Please close this thread. Thanks everybody, though.

Blog Entries

supracuhz,

Last year I bought a bunch of essential oils and fragrance oils and began to play around. Without exception, my perfumes were unremarkable.

But I'll give you the extremely simple one I came up with today, while stewing about how much I like L'Artisan Fleur d'Oranger and how exceedingly unaffordable it is.

I took a 5ml glass roll-on bottle, put "some" (I didn't measure-- approximately one part in 10 but you can experiment) neroli essential oil (bought from eBay seller Wholesle Essential Oil-- excellent quality) and topped off with fractionated coconut oil.

Not too costly. And it's pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by bottledupemotions View Post
    Trying and failing is the best way to get started with making perfumes. Start on a small scale, in terms of quantity and price. There's no point buying expensive absolutes when they would probably go to waste.

Have fun with it!
    Depends how serious you want to take it. If you are serious, I'd recommend jumping in the deep end and getting a ton of oils and absolutes. I mean, surely you need blending talent and intuition, but if you don't have the right ingredients, you may never be able to manifest the smell that exists in your imagination. I would hate to see someone with only a handful of oils - oils not suitable to create what they are envisioning - give up on perfumery because they think they don't have the talent when the truth is they may or may not, but they didn't have the right building blocks.

Of course, if you are serious, expect to spend $1,000-2,000 to get started. That's a high cost, sure, but what is the value of becoming intimately familiar with a hundred or two essences? The value of wearing something that you not only love, but that you created yourself? The value of being able to better dissect and understand - and hence, appreciate - the perfumes you wear. And when you think of the ever rising price of most niche bottles these days, $1,000 is less than 10 bottles of many (most) niche brands.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 24th November 2008 at 10:07 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

There are about a million formulas online in various places and they are interesting to recreate in that you will be able to smell and understand the changes that take place as each new ingredient, and subsequently each new accord is added. I think that you'll find most people are unwilling to share their secret formulas for two reasons: First, they are not something that was just "whipped up".... they are refinements of a concept that transpired of the course of months or even years of developing, adjusting & tweaking the formulas, hence they represent an enormous expenditure of both time and money.

The second reason is that a secret formula is just that: a secret formula!
    SO.... don't take it as people being "snobby" or unfriendly .... It's just as a magician does not reveal how he slices the lady in half ....one you know the "secret" or the trick... it's no longer like magic!!

All that being said, PM me and I'll send you one ! http://community.basenotes.net/image...es/biggrin.gif

I agree, to start with a decent number of EOs and absolutes and aromachemicals will cost $500 minimum, but really, $1000 is more like it. Then you need small bottles, droppers, funnels, and blotter paper. But it's such a fantastic hobby, and really, no more expensive than many others. I like to look at the notes of a perfume I really like, then try messing around with that combo, taking things out, adding my own, trying many versions. 9 of 10 end up as notes only, the sample I made thrown in the bin. But in several years, I've come up with about 5 I'm truly proud of, complex recipes (well, 15-20 ingredients, complex for an amateur) that age well and are unique and beautiful. Like any worthwhile hobby, it takes time, persistence, and some funds. But it really pays off.
    Currently wearing: Touaregh by Il Profumo