Code of Conduct

Default Opium PH Poesie De Chine

My local chemist put all his summer 08 scents on sale, which is kind of weird as they nearly all came out here during winter and the weather is starting to warm up as we head into summer.

I wasn't that impressed with the Issey or CK ones, didn't bother testing the Eternity one, but the Opium with the Chinese characters all over it did grab me. I was worried about its longevity, so I tested it the other night when I passed by there. I needn't have worried as, despite being lighter than the originals, it was still hanging around on my arm ten hours later.

Having passed the longevity test, I bought it today. I've always liked Opium PH EDT and EDP, but thought them a bit too strong for anything other than cool or cold weather wear. I think this one hits the spot for warmer weather.

Has anybody else been taken by this China version?
    Renato

Default Re: Opium PH Poesie De Chine

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    My local chemist put all his summer 08 scents on sale, which is kind of weird as they nearly all came out here during winter and the weather is starting to warm up as we head into summer.

I wasn't that impressed with the Issey or CK ones, didn't bother testing the Eternity one, but the Opium with the Chinese characters all over it did grab me. I was worried about its longevity, so I tested it the other night when I passed by there. I needn't have worried as, despite being lighter than the originals, it was still hanging around on my arm ten hours later.

Having passed the longevity test, I bought it today. I've always liked Opium PH EDT and EDP, but thought them a bit too strong for anything other than cool or cold weather wear. I think this one hits the spot for warmer weather.

Has anybody else been taken by this China version?
    Renato
    I love it. I think that YSL really did a good job of keeping the integrity of the opium scent while making it fresh and wearable during the day/summer. I'm very happy with it.

Still have it for 5 months;its really long-lasting,and if you care for that;its a complimentgetter of the first degree.I think it works also in lower temps when you want something fresh in snowy periods.Good deal!

Anyone have the 2007 version? How does it compare to that?

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I love it. I think that YSL really did a good job of keeping the integrity of the opium scent while making it fresh and wearable during the day/summer. I'm very happy with it.
    You're right about keeping the integrity of the original. I've wondered with some of the others (like Eternity) why they bothered using the name.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by sniff View Post
    Still have it for 5 months;its really long-lasting,and if you care for that;its a complimentgetter of the first degree.I think it works also in lower temps when you want something fresh in snowy periods.Good deal!
    Well, snowy periods is something we don't experience much down here (it snowed one morning 21 years ago), but I'll take your word for it. Still, if it was snowing, I couldn't imagine anything much better than Opium EDP.
    Renato

I really liked the first half an hour of this, and nearly bought a bottle. However, after 30 mins it started smelling a little too much like my partner's Mum (she wears the original YSL Opium) and I decided not to.
    Oh and Issey summer frags have crap longevity.. around an hour - two in my experience. I wonder why they bother making summer releases when the original is intended for summer wear anyway?
    Last edited by Anthony87; 2nd November 2008 at 04:15 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    I really liked the first half an hour of this, and nearly bought a bottle. However, after 30 mins it started smelling a little too much like my partner's Mum (she wears the original YSL Opium) and I decided not to.
    Oh and Issey summer frags have crap longevity.. around an hour - two in my experience. I wonder why they bother making summer releases when the original is intended for summer wear anyway?
    Phew - for a second i thought you meant "Mum" deodorant (which I suppose wouldn't be too bad, as I'm wearing Mum unscented antiperspirant today).

I haven't been that enthused with the longevity of the Issey summer ones either. However, this one wasn't too bad. But I just didn't like it - they seem to have isolated that note in Issey that people refer to as the "pee note", and made that the main component. It was only $44 for a big bottle, but I passed quick.
    Renato

Is it possible to use the original deo-stick together with this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Is it possible to use the original deo-stick together with this one?
    I can't see why not. The original deodorant stick is a quite a bit weaker than the actual scent - it should mesh in nicely I'd have thought.

I might try it one day soon.
    Renato

I think it`s very important to use the same product in deo, eau de toilette and shower-gel...

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I think it`s very important to use the same product in deo, eau de toilette and shower-gel...
    I've usually been disappointed with deodorant sticks, especially the hard, clear, alcohol free ones. They seem to affect the quality of the scent a lot more than the older style soft, white ones.
    Renato