Code of Conduct

Thread: Amber Alert!

Default Amber Alert!

Today I tried Serge Lutens' Ambre Sultan and Tom Fords Amber Absolute for the first time. Both are fantastic, however, something strange occurred. The Tom Ford was ten times more powerful than the Serge Lutens, and I would have thought the opposite. I would have to say that Tom Ford's version is deeper, more complex and longer lasting and now I want it.

Before I go and get it...are there others worth trying before I take the plunge? I'm considering giving Profumum's Fiore d'Ambra a whirl but the price tag makes me think twice.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Default Re: Amber Alert!

Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe.

I love the Tom Ford Amber too, although it tends to be a bit overly sweet for me to wear it very often. I'm curious about MPG Ambre Precieux; anyone tried it?

Three I would recommend trying would be

Histoire d'Parfums Ambre 114
    Ava Luxe Ambra Tibet
    Montale Blue Amber
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

TNMA, based on your personal taste, stop by Scent Bar and check out Montale Blue Amber. Fiore d'Ambra is more amber gris than amber. Ambra Aurea is a classic amber from Profumum.

mrclmind, Ambre Precieux is a warm, sweet, soft comfort amber. I prefer a more resinous amber, but it is worth testing.

Where is she?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Blog Entries

Neil Morris Burnt Amber
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

When I first began sampling these amber frags, I thought I'd really like them and buy a full bottle of something, but they always seem to become hard to bear for several hours. Even with a light application, there's something that I grow weary of when wearing them. Fortunately, I found a frag that is a great combination of amber, vanilla, and sandalwood, perhaps with some patchouli, jasmine, etc., but it's not a "name brand" (which is fine because it was cheap). It fills me amber needs and I can wear it for hours and enjoy it the whole time, which is something I could never to with any of the amber ones. So just a small word of caution: make sure you wear these frags several times and see if you can enjoy them for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Fortunately, I found a frag that is a great combination of amber, vanilla, and sandalwood, perhaps with some patchouli, jasmine, etc., but it's not a "name brand" (which is fine because it was cheap).
    And what fragrance might that be?
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Fiori d'Ambra and L'Ombre Fauve are my current Amber fixations. I'll also second the Ambre Russe recommendation.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I'll second javagreen's suggestion of L'Ombre Fauve, an excellent fragrance that any amber lover should try.
    Last edited by surreality; 2nd November 2008 at 02:28 AM.

I'd be quite curious about Tom Ford's creation - I found Ambre Sultan interesting and pleasant for the first few hours, but then it flattened into what I can only describe as "play-dough amber".

surreality: I hesitate to say because it is a "clone" or fake and I don't want anyone to buy it and hate it, then think I was somehow trying to make money from it. I actually bought it thinking it was the real thing. I contacted the company for the authentic frag, describing it to them, and they said it was illegal (I had my doubts when the bottle arrived, after reading about how Creed fake bottles were constructed). The guy I bought it from swears it's legal, and I didn't really care because it was cheap and I really liked it. It's a shame people who could put together such juice don't market it as a unique frag, but I guess that tells us a lot about how the frag industry works, right? In any case, the good thing about this is that I might sell or swap off my Shalimar Light and even possibly my Habit Rouge EDC because this juice is just what I was looking for (no strong citrus or jasmine, but basically all base notes, blended and balanced just right). So, what I am to do? LOL.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 2nd November 2008 at 02:44 AM.

When I first began sampling these amber frags, I thought I'd really like them and buy a full bottle of something, but they always seem to become hard to bear for several hours. Even with a light application, there's something that I grow weary of when wearing them. Fortunately, I found a frag that is a great combination of amber, vanilla, and sandalwood, perhaps with some patchouli, jasmine, etc., but it's not a "name brand" (which is fine because it was cheap). It fills me amber needs and I can wear it for hours and enjoy it the whole time, which is something I could never to with any of the amber ones. So just a small word of caution: make sure you wear these frags several times and see if you can enjoy them for hours.
    surreality: I hesitate to say because it is a "clone" or fake and I don't want anyone to buy it and hate it, then think I was somehow trying to make money from it. I actually bought it thinking it was the real thing. I contacted the company for the authentic frag, describing it to them, and they said it was illegal (I had my doubts when the bottle arrived, after reading about how Creed fake bottles were constructed). The guy I bought it from swears it's legal, and I didn't really care because it was cheap and I really liked it. It's a shame people who could put together such juice don't market it as a unique frag, but I guess that tells us a lot about how the frag industry works, right? In any case, the good thing about this is that I might sell or swap off my Shalimar Light and even possibly my Habit Rouge EDC because this juice is just what I was looking for (no strong citrus or jasmine, but basically all base notes, blended and balanced just right). So, what I am to do? LOL.
    This sounds like the Allure Homme knock offs I see at those shady discount stores. I can't remember the name.

Actually the clone/fake is for women, but I'd call it at least unisex. It's got what I think of as a very slightly burnt quality that I really like. As to "real" amber frags, I've tried Ambre Sultan, Ambra Tibet, Blue Amber, and the Russe one. They all had the effect, to one degree or another, of being too rich and heavy, but I don't feel that immediately. They lack the "dynamism" that I find necessary to want a full bottle of a frag.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 2nd November 2008 at 03:27 AM.

I love Ambre Russe...have a FB and wear it several times a week as my evening scent. However, it is heavy, sweet, leathery, smoky, and has loads of patchouli. Two very classic ambers were already metioned: MPG Ambre Precieux (sweet resinous amber which turns dry and cedary) and Profumum Ambre Aurea (metalllic patchouli amber which later turns to incense and resins) are top notch.

My favorite after Amber Sultan is Ambre Fetiche by Anick Goutal

I'll also add to this list the new Micallef Note Ambree. Looks like I have plenty to look forward to these holidays!

TNMA

Ambre Precieux is my favorite for the warm comforting quality others have already mentioned. It's also very wearable for me. I like Ambre Russe, but there is an awful lot going on in it - to the point where it seems a bit cluttered to me at times. I do recommend fans of amber test it, though. I haven't tried the Profumum one. I'm afraid I'll try it and love it and those Profumum prices are a little crazy. I agree that Histoire d'Parfums Ambre 114 is nice, but not distinctive enough to be FBW for me. I like Ambre Sultan, but if I were going to pick an amber in that ballpark, I'd probably go with Ambre Russe, which is boozier and less sweet.

Hi thenmarcher. I went on an amber hunt and to this day, my two former favorites still remain on top: Tom Ford's and Serge Lutens both for very different reasons. Now, I have not tried Ambre Russe and from what I've read, I think I'd LOVE it, but if you are in the position to make the purchase of Tom Ford, do so! I'll live vicariously through you Not everyone loves it and if you do, go for it. None of the others seems as buttery, syrupy, rich, and incensy all at the same time. I liked Blue Amber, but it left me cold in comparison to others. It literally feels like a blue amber. I'll throw in a weird one just for the heck of it: Patchouli Patch from Montale. It is heaping with amber, but has a really oily, earthy patchouli note on top.
    Last edited by nthny; 2nd November 2008 at 05:40 PM.

None of the others seems as buttery, syrupy, rich, and incensy all at the same time.

That is exactly why I like TF; every time I smelled it on me, it smelled different.

TNMA