Code of Conduct

Default Patchouli, Amber, Mahogany, Vanilla

I am currently in LOVE with Belle En Rykiel. Patchouli, Amber, Mahogany, Vanilla. are the basenotes and since it is the drydown that I really love (the opening is a bit meh, but once it has dried down, it is divine!), I was thinking of exploring those notes to figure out which ones I am finding so wonderful. Most other perfumes I can smell distinct notes, this one I cannot for some reason.

Any suggestions of what to sample? I am looking for the best examples of the above for a woman. Thanks!

Default Re: Patchouli, Amber, Mahogany, Vanilla

In terms of common base notes, Burberry Brit seems to be close:

Amber, Mahogany, Vanilla, Tonka Bean

But to my nose, it seems closer to Shalimar Light, which has no mahogany but seems to have a similar mix of amber, vanilla and patchouli.
    Last edited by Perfume_Addict; 2nd November 2008 at 07:37 PM.

Do you know of any that have one prominent and not the others? I think it would be interesting to see if I like the notes prominent without the others.

For amber--try MPG Amber Precieux or Montale Blue Amber

For patchouli--try Montale Patchouli Leaves or Les Nereides Patchouli Antique

For vanilla--try Ava Luxe Love's True Bluish Light or Il Profumo Vanille Bourbon

For mahogany--I don't have any experience with mahogany predominant fragrances, but I have done woodworking with mahogany and am very familiar with the wood's scent. One fragrance I wore today--Shiseido Feminite du Bois has a mahogany vibe to it (even though cedar is the wood listed in the notes), and it is quite beautiful.

I really love the coffee flower note. This perfume makes me feel like I'm in Starbuck's. It really helps me wake up and focus in the morning! I love this, and am thinking of getting a back up bottle as I cant imagine ever being without it. It's all over the discount stores so it's making me nervous, has anyone heard anything about it being discontinued?

I notice the coffee/lavender combo a lot on this. Not sure if there are others that combine these as distinctly -- I guess there are some men's scents, like Yohji, right? The patchouli aspect doesn't strike me as very forward in BiR, though any reason to sample Patchouli Leaves seems valid to me. I love it.

I don't have any Dzing around right now to compare, but I remember thinking there was some relationship to BiR. Anyone else agree?

You could buy an extra -- I got 3.3 oz for $45 bucks or so. Since this is strong juice, that should last a long time.

My daughter wears Burberry Brit. Keep in mind, the EDT & EDP versions are vastly different in many ways. Go for the EDP, you won't be disappointed!

For Mahogany, try CDG Red Series: Sequoia, if you can find it.

Sounds like Montale Patcouli Leaves, if the patchouli were more dominant.
    My favorite ambery patchouli with all sorts of delicious blended notes is Chanel Coromandel. That one has some fruit and incense, too.

Bond So New York would be in the same family with Belle en Rykiel.

For those of you who love Belle en Rykiel, I just got the lotion for $4 on clearance at TJMaxx

I've got to get to TJ Maxx. I really like Belle en Rykiel It's such a sensual fragrance.

Have you tried Anné Pliska? To me, it's a sort of "sister" to Belle. Also, you may want to try (if you haven't already) Sonoma Scent Studio Ambre Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    I've got to get to TJ Maxx. I really like Belle en Rykiel It's such a sensual fragrance.

Have you tried Anné Pliska? To me, it's a sort of "sister" to Belle. Also, you may want to try (if you haven't already) Sonoma Scent Studio Ambre Noir.
    I have not tried either. I will see if I can.

I looked out for this one in T K Maxx when I was in the other day and found my YSL Nu edt. They only had the Sonia Rykiel signature perfume, but it suggests the Belle might turn up there one day!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/