Code of Conduct

Default IFRA regulation of ISO E Super

From 1000fragrances (October 27 entry):

http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: IFRA regulation of ISO E Super

Bad news, indeed. On what grounds this time? Allergen?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was quite scared and angry until I read the comments. I thought it was a ban - I guess I jumped the gun. If comments by Alex (I'm guessing our Alex?) are correct, then the limitation on Iso E Super will be 20% of the final composition. He says that TdH is only 5% Iso E Super in the final product (based on 50% of concentrate, at 10% EdT strength). He says we should worry if the regulation was, say, 10%.

It all seems rather strange. Every third person in America seems to be allergic to peanuts, and they don't ban the damn things - they just make people label the packages and the menus so the allergic don't buy them, It seems that there are virtually no secrets in perfumery any more, thanks to science. Wouldn't it be better if everybody just laid the big cards on the table, chemically speaking, and listed things exactly? It might even be better for the workplace. If somebody is allergic to a certain chemical in perfume, we wouldn't have to ban all perfumes in that office, as we do now - coworkers could just read the label and not wear the bad actors.

In my own case, there is something in a couple of my frags that acts as a mild lachrymator (makes my eyes tear up). I don't really care about the effect, but still I wish I knew what the heck it was. I love black pepper and spicy chili peppers, too, but they make me cough. That's OK too - at least I know when I'm eating them.

I get the feeling that secrecy, illusory naturalness, and overregulation are creating a perfect storm.

Post Thanks / Like

Goodbye Escentric Molecule Molecule 01. I can't believe that stuff sells for $220 over here.

Quote Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
    Goodbye Escentric Molecule Molecule 01. I can't believe that stuff sells for $220 over here.
    Heh, well, that's one good thing to come of this. Charging as much as they do for that is criminal, imo.

The IFRA is becoming more and more of a joke though. I wonder which major perfume house will be the first to refuse to follow the IFRA guidelines. Hmm...
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

IFRA regulatons are not law, correct? They can at most bind members of the association. Or are they generally pre-emptions of what they know will be regulated by EU laws? As far as I know any independent niche perfumer can pour as much oakmoss into his/her composition as he/she likes, IFRA Schmifra. But I'd appreciate informed opinion on the actual weight of their regulatory power.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=the_good_life;1348016IFRA Schmifra.[/quote]

Lol .

I'm really fed up with smelling iso e super in nearly everything. Ban it more, I say!
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Lol .

I'm really fed up with smelling iso e super in nearly everything. Ban it more, I say!
    Well,I'll support an aesthetically motivated boycott
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, you can still buy Iso-E Super at Perfumers Apprentice or Good Scents Company. So maybe a person could buy some and apply it on top of the reformulated perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Bad news, indeed. On what grounds this time? Allergen?
    I don't know, purplebird. It seems, based on a quick search, that some feel more testing should be done on the ingredient's safety in certain doses. Perhaps someone who knows more about the regulation and ingredient can weigh in.

Interesting to watch the fragrance industry's attempt to regulate itself. I agree with Redneck, why don't they experiment with labeling? Perhaps they think labels would dissuade customers, but, for example, people who want to buy peanuts will still do so in spite of the "may contain peanuts" label.

Off-Scenter

Good thing I appear to be nearly 100% anosmic to teh stuff. :bounce: (Might also explain some of my weird tastes, too)

Well, Iso E Super is one of the molecules that is too large to smell continously. I'm assuming similar chemicals are used in scents like L'Antimatiere which seem very faint until you move around and catch the wake of the sillage. Perhaps you aren't fully anosmic but somehow your receptors for Iso E Super just get "clogged up" faster? Hmm..
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more