Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Monday 3 November

Hi all!

I´m wearing Jovan White Musk on this cold, crisp day.

Default Re: SotD Monday 3 November

Another day in Prada Infusion d'Iris.

Up early for work but obviously my body is still on daylight saving time and I could have slept a whole hour longer

Today wearing Sonia Rykiel Belle en Rykiel.

This morning I was craving that complex chocolatey, ambery, cinnamony combination that is Amorito + Eau des Vanilliers + Vanille Passion + Ambre (L'Occitane). So I'm wearing that combination again

Feeling green today: Guerlain VETIVER with a sensual hint of Lutens VETIVER ORIENTAL
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Sharing the House with my dear Brotha in Encens et Lavande.

Almost a pity that I did not choose Vetiver Oriental myself.....you do smell delicious
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Smile Re: SotD Monday 3 November

Hello, Mousie !
    [I thought of you earlier, when I heard our tiny resident scurrying under the gas stovetop; I always blow him a kiss ,an audible one- every morning]

Such lovely aromas...
    I'm going w/ Bois des Iles again, but hoping my Bois 1920 Real Patchouly arrives....
    That stuff is intoxicating.

Many plans today, lots of order-making.
    SIGH.
    I'm really pooped.

Loving you all...

Sweet Oriental Dream - Montale

First time from my FB, and it´s so good to spray with happy abandon. And people started sniffing me at work and go hmmmm, so I think that is a compliment. And it does smell fantastic, warm, sweet with some oriental dessert spices. It´s a nice variation on the gourmands you smell ever so often here with chocolate and vanilla.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

cdG 2, a woody rose to celebrate...I'm not working today!

Chantecaille Frangipane
    It is rainy and getting cooler over here. :brolly:

Today is clearly a day for Onda, though I couldn't explain why. Onda is its own explanation, somehow!

It's getting colder here as well, finally! I'm gonna do some shopping, I wanna get a new pair of boots. Musc Ravageur for me today.
    Have a nice week, everybody!

Not sure what to wear today - I was yearning for L'Heure Bleu yesterday but now I've read Asha's description of Coco, I'm very tempted to go with that. And let's fce it, both perfumes are equally good with jeans, a jumper and playgroup. Oh, playgroup. Ah, well it'll be L'Heure Bleu then. Don't want to scare the horses... [Ah nope, see below!]

Hope you get to have a nap this afternoon Chaya. Hugs to you. Sleep is good. Food is good. Warmth is good.

Have a lovely day all.
    x

Later:
    Well, that didn't quite work out as planned... sorry SMM you'll have to put me down for L'Artisan's Vanilia as my SOTD. It was the sample I found in my handbag in the car on my way to playgroup when I realised I *gasp!* had left the house without spritzing!

I've since tried Ferre de Ferre (the new one but NOT the Rose) and liked it so much I bought a little bottle right there in the shop. I'd heard of this Bourdon creation and wanted to try it as it's been described as a 'sister' to Iris Poudre he created for Malle a few years before. It is indeed similar and it's very pretty - I'll sniff them side by side before describing them both. Hard to get hold of though - this is the first time I've spotted it in a shop. But a LOT less expensive than Iris Poudre. I'm happy I found it.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 3rd November 2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: more stuff to say
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Good morning all I've been a bit blue lately due to various reasons,but finally think that things seem to work out now. Today is all about studying for me. I have a group assignment to hand in soon,so need to figure out how to write it today.SotD is Nu edp,chosen by Veuve Amiot.This scent always makes me feel very classy Hope you all have a nice start of the week!
    Last edited by ineespenes; 3rd November 2008 at 09:59 AM.

Good morning!

No sign of winter here...

I am wearing Dzing!
    and enjoy it very much.

Have a nice week!
    Last edited by *dora*; 3rd November 2008 at 10:38 AM.

Saw musse's new(ish) signature and was thinking of something mousk-y too. Perhaps, Baghari?

Y'all smell so GO-O-O-O-OD!!

Hugs to Chaya.....cheer up Ines...Lian, you are energizing all of Iceland in that gawjuss juice!! (Has anyone seen Lievje??)

Needing inspiration myself I scrummaged around in my bag of samples and came up with TWO Nelly Rodi's....Cocoa and Rose. One for each side of me!! Talk about scrumptious!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 3rd November 2008 at 11:01 AM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Plus

((((Chaya)))) - take care, honey.

Another in Serge Lutens,
    Datura Noir for me.

Have a great day, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Morning Star

Default Re: SotD Sunday 2 November 2008

Sunday 2 November 2008
    Morning: Profumum Thundra
    Afternoon: too many to list!
    Evening: Annick Goutal Ambre Fétiche

I stopped by Barneys and Saks Fifth Avenue in Beverly Hills late Sunday afternoon. I tried a lot of new things at Barneys, including most of the entire i Profumi di Firenze line. The real stand-out was the oceanic fragrance Brezza di Mare which, along with Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561 Hyle, gives my favorite oceanic fragrance Profumum Acqua di Sale a run for its money. There is a watermelon note in Brezza di Mare which really complements the rest of the fragrance; it's extremely well done. I consider these three to be the best oceanic fragrances currently on the market.

I tried three of the oriental Eaux de Parfum from Annick Goutal: Myrrhe Ardente, Ambre Fétiche, and Encens Flamboyant. They are all quite good, but especially the Ambre Fétiche, which is one of the better amber fragrances that I have tried, with an interesting smoky component. It's also quite strong, and lasts forever. I decided to spring for a bottle.

I also tried each of the Byredo Parfums: Green, Pulp, Gypsy Water, Chembur, and Rose Noir. Gypsy Water is an amber-like sandalwood creation that is excellent aside from the fact that it was a bit too powdery in the drydown for my tastes. Pulp was the most interesting. It hits you with lots of fruit, the most prominent of which is my favorite: fig. I think there might also be some black currant floating around in there somewhere, but I'm not sure.

I finally tried Jean-Claude Ellena's newer Hermès creation Un Jardin Après La Mousson, and liked it very much. This has a much riper melon than the previous two in the Jardin series, coupled with a very nice marine note. It's being marketed as feminine, which is approximately correct. As much as I enjoyed it, I don't think I could carry it off in a corporate environment. It seems like it would be a real winner for women, however. I brought home a couple of samples for my girlfriend. I'm idly hoping she says she likes it, so I can buy some.

Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 was also available for sampling. I'm not a huge fan of patchouli (bad memories from an ex-girlfriend who used to practically bathe in it), so even the tasty chocolate note in this elixir couldn't save it for me.

By the time I was finished at Barneys, I only had about 20 minutes for Saks Fifth Avenue, but managed to sample Dsquared2 He Wood. I was not very impressed. There was a faint cedar note in the background with a fairly uncommon floral top note (maybe violet, not sure). In any case, not bottle-worthy in light of what else is available out there. I thought of impulse purchasing some Tom Ford For Men Extreme at the last minute, but eventually came to my senses. I spent the last few minutes ogling the bright yellow Ferrari F430 coupe parked by the back door, then went home.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 3rd November 2008 at 11:55 AM.

Joining tdi in Belle en Rykiel!

Happy Monday!

The samples I ordered from the Frederic Malle site arrived this morning, so I'm wearing Dans tes Bras.

Weather is gloomy over here today. Looking here for inspiration --- hmmmm.

Following Wordbird's footsteps with the L'heure Bleue, although it's more like L'heure Gray now.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Looks like we're all starting the week off wothout too much in the way of life annoyances thrown at us.
    I am wearing a new acquisition of a discontinued scent (thanks Buzzlepuff):

Aramis Havana

I bought this blind because both chaya and Scentmother told me I needed it. As usual, they were right. Although on first sniff I wasn't so sure. At first this smells like the top note of Aramis but within a few minutes this mix of spice and floral breaks out. What is amazing about this is the extremely slow progression to the base as it takes a long time for the woods in the base to come out but when they do they're accompanied by tobacco and hints of vanilla making this feel very much like a gourmand at the end. What a crazy quilt of notes this one is and how good it all comes together.
    Have a great Monday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Scent twins with Ailuros this morning in Dans Tes Bras, also from a set of samples ordered recently from F. Malle. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I'm not sure this one is for me. Give it time, though. I instantly fell in love with yesterday's Le Parfum de Therese, but perhaps because it smells familiar as well as beautiful.

Have a good Monday everybody.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Davidoff Relax as SotD
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Working from home today in L'Eau de Jatamansi. Impossibly pretty, exasperatingly fleeting.

What a pretty little baby, Zingss

(((Chaya)))
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Scent twins with Ailuros this morning in Dans Tes Bras, also from a set of samples ordered recently from F. Malle. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I'm not sure this one is for me. Give it time, though. I instantly fell in love with yesterday's Le Parfum de Therese, but perhaps because it smells familiar as well as beautiful.
    I agree. I loved Parfum de Therese from the first sniff, too. I'll probably wear Dans tes Bras again from the sample, but I don't think I'll be getting a bottle.

With Wordbird and Dimples, I am wearing L'Heure Bleu, in extrait. I feel like I should be wearing velvet and a long silk scarf. Well, perhaps I will go and put on tha scarf. I am taking the day off from work to go to MOMA to see the Van Gogh exhibit with my husband.

Lilybelle, Ailuros: I too loved Parfum de Therese from the very first sniff. Hence, the nom de plume. Some fragrances are like that. You know right away. In my case, it felt like a homecoming. When the FM store first opened in Paris, I visited and went sniffing from cylinder to cylinder. When I sniffed Parfum de Therese, my eyes filled with tears and I said to the SA, "It smells like my grandmother." "What did your grandmother wear?" she asked. "Miss Dior, mostly" I replied. Oh la la. And she told me about Roudnitska's career. My bottle is almost empty, and I will surely replace.

Domenico Caraceni

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Another day in Prada Infusion d'Iris.
    Me, too! I think this is the third or fourth Monday in a row that I've reached for it - it's just so beautiful and easy to wear, I never have to wonder if I'm going to be in the mood for it or anything like that. Perfect for Monday mornings - no thinking required!

A very hot day here in Malaysia.
    I'm in Light Blue by D&G.

Have a great week, everyone.

(Lilybelle, love your new pretty avatar. )

Wearing Shocking to coordinate with the honey body lotion I have on. I'm afraid I may be losing my taste for Shocking. It doesn't seem the same to me.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Lovely story, Therese. I'm wearing Sea Wood from Profumo.it. The sandalwood notes are soft and round and float around me like bubbles.

Lolita Lempicka this morning.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Welcome Zinggs!

Lots of people talking about Patricia de Nicolai's Sacrebleu on the SnS boards this weekend, so I figured I'd try it too.

More floral than spicy on me, particularly at the top and heart. The spices (mostly a carnation smell) come into play about 2 hours in.

I could see how this would be suffocating as a spray, but a few dabs and it is absolutely stunning. Not an off note from bottle sniff to skin to heart to base.

To take a turn of phrase from Divatologist...

I SMELL GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Basenotes Institution

L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Cologne formula) by Guerlain

Ailuros, do you like Dans tes Bras? I want to give it a second wearing to be fair - and I do often change my mind - but I'm a bit disappointed. I was so looking forward to trying this one.

Therese, that's a lovely story. I didn't know that was the source of your screen name. To me, it smells like Diorella's older, better heeled sister (I love Diorella).

Jasper, thank you. It was time to say goodbye to Halloween. But they'll have to drag me kicking and screaming into drab winter.

Lilybelle, Dans tes Bras isn't really doing much for me. At first it smelled a bit like ginger beer, with some more earthy, spicy notes I couldn't quite name. It wasn't unpleasant, but I didn't get warm skin. I'll probably try it again, but I was a bit disappointed, too. I've never tried Diorella, or Diorissimo - I think I get put off when names sound too much like brands, but after smelling Parfum de Therese, I'm planning to try them.

Hi, everyone! Profumum Santalum for me today. Lovely, deep clear and comforting sandalwood.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Antaeus (Chanel)

GuerlainL'Heure Bleue (eau de parfum)

Quote Originally Posted by sakecat22 View Post
    Welcome Zinggs!

Lots of people talking about Patricia de Nicolai's Sacrebleu on the SnS boards this weekend, so I figured I'd try it too.

More floral than spicy on me, particularly at the top and heart. The spices (mostly a carnation smell) come into play about 2 hours in.

I could see how this would be suffocating as a spray, but a few dabs and it is absolutely stunning. Not an off note from bottle sniff to skin to heart to base.

To take a turn of phrase from Divatologist...

I SMELL GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!
    Sakecat, I was so pleased to read about your experience with Sacrebleu, as I have contemplating purchasing a bottle as a Christmas gift for my mother. SOTD is Amouage Gold -- lush and comforting.

My SOTD? The incomparable Rochas Lui.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Lady Vengeance - awful name, gorgeous fragrance.

Welcome Zinggs! What a precious baby in your avatar!
    Last edited by Tovah; 3rd November 2008 at 04:34 PM.

Nice sunny day today, wearing O de Lancome.

I'm testing Neil Morris Cathedral this morning.

Agent Provocateur, just stunning in today's freezing cold weather. This is the first time I've really noticed the spices in AP and the rose was exceptionally rich and creamy.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Rose Kashmirie by Rosine

Neil Morris Flowers for Men: Gardenia

(It smells more like cucumber than gardenia.)

Hi all! :wave:
    Today I wore and unplanned (and unprecedented, AFAIK) combination:

PG Brulure de Rose + Ava Luxe Incense Noir on pulse points

It turned out to be lovely! :bounce:
    Incense Noir balances out the sweetness of burnt sugar in Brulure and enhances the smokiness.

SotE will be in Possets Gingerbread Whorehouse to satisfy a sudden craving.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Little bit stressed today; wearing Vanille Sauvage De Madagascar (from a sample) to comfort. (Lots of vanilla today in here!).

Sprayed on Datura Noir later.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Pure Grace. I'm getting boring...it seems to be all I wear at the moment!
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I wore no perfume today. Not even a body lotion. I went to work bare-skinned. By the time I got home I longed for a scent that would envelope me and the space around me, something tried and tested, a classic scent that would carry me around every room in the house. Tonight I needed a scent that would wear me.

So I'm swathed in Coco edp

Sushi Imperiale. Yay!

Crayfish

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    Working from home today in L'Eau de Jatamansi. Impossibly pretty, exasperatingly fleeting.
    Yes, yes, yes! The only more exasperatingly fleeting scent I have tested is Armani Prive's Oranger Alhambra, whose shortevity - for the money - must surely contravene Trades Descriptions. And I speak as someone who recently reported Schweppes Pomegranate and Blueberry Drink for containing infinitesimally small amounts of the two fruits it so prominently featured.

Me, I am scent twins with Ineespenes as regards the YSL Nu Edp, but am also wearing the Edt, and a dabette of Feminite de Bois as a control. All very interesting!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 3rd November 2008 at 07:46 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chaelaran1008 View Post
    Agent Provocateur, just stunning in today's freezing cold weather. This is the first time I've really noticed the spices in AP and the rose was exceptionally rich and creamy.
    How interesting - I noticed the exact same thing for the first time at the weekend.. I'd put AP back in the drawer for months on end, dismissing it as "too powdery" and too "pink", but something made me dig it out and this time I noticed a lot more going on with it under its powdery surface!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Hi all! :wave:
    Today I wore and unplanned (and unprecedented, AFAIK) combination:

PG Brulure de Rose + Ava Luxe Incense Noir on pulse points

It turned out to be lovely! :bounce:
    Incense Noir balances out the sweetness of burnt sugar in Brulure and enhances the smokiness.
    Another Brulure de Rose fan - hooray!!

I'm wearing my 2nd SotD, Yves Rocher's Iris Noir. I like it.