Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: And now for something completely different: Profumo.it, Princess E, Dr. Bonner

Luckily for me, my DH is very cooperative -- at least in matters of perfume.

In the mean time, I've tried Chocolate Amber. I am not attracted to chocolate notes in perfume, generally, so I was surprised to enjoy this as much as I did (although I do have a weakness for amber). In contrast to Quarry, I did smell chocolate. It also seemed vaguely hazelnutty, in the vein of Quarry's amaretto. But what was most surprising and enjoyable was a strong camphory scent that seemed suspended between the layers of chocolate and amber, asf there was a patchouli aspect snuggled in there. Probably falls in the category of a "comfort scent".

Profumo, I agree, my weakness for the smell of tobacco is very nostalgic. My father didn't smoke, but many of the most attractive adults in my childhood did. And then there's all the clubbing a long time ago did when we couldn't get the smoke out of our clothes for days! But Tabac also smells alive and fresh -- an exciting scent.

Default Re: And now for something completely different: Profumo.it, Princess E, Dr. Bonner

Tcharas started, as in many of the other scents, on me, quite gingery-spicey, but as it wears on it became raw-animalic. I say this knowing that many scents I love actually have animalic components, but I generally avoid the musk genre without understanding the subtleties of what precisely I dislike. Here I didn't get "barn" (not the sweet, sharp piss-y wood and damp hay scent that says barn to me) but "gland". What's exciting to me is that now I was able to distinctly smell the civet, whereas it's just been an undefined yuck element in other "dirty musk" perfumes. There is castoreum here too, which I was less sensitive to, but think I might actually like, judging from my response to the suaver Grezzo. So this was educational but because of the civet, not my bag at all.

People, I liked "E" and it registered as a Floriental to me. I got that prominent lily note, but I know that lily is not a strong flower, and this was a strong perfume. Therefore, I think jasmine and orange blossom were featured. Also, I got a ghost "nutty" aroma, the same way I did in Bond No. 9 Chinatown. It was almost yummy. I think that was the "rootbeer" note. Smell it again, and tell me, is it nutty?

Today, Hindu Kush. I'm no incense expert; it's not a genre I often wear. That said, this is my favorite incense I have tried (surpassing Timbuktu, Kyoto, Heeley's Cardinal), . It starts off with a strong turpentine-like smell. I love turpentine. My DH said "It's like the old fashioned art studio kind." Then smudgy incense, evoking a church crypt. Weaving in and out is spice which my nose can't define, and all throughout volatile, green, sappy resin. It dies down pretty close within the first hour and then persists as a skin scent. Perfectly unisex -- now DH is testing it.

Today I tested "E" -- another gift from the munificent scent-fairy, Quarry. It's very different from my usual fare and I loved it. It starts out incandescently bright. Is that what aldehydes are? I've never known, but this really felt as if someone had flicked on a switch to illuminate an enormous bunch of flowers. But which ones? Then definite root-beer, complete with sparkle, a full head of fizz. A clove-y smell. No soap for me, Quarry, but something I think of as a mommy-cold-cream smell, as if a mysterious, pretty, soft person were bending to give a goodnight kiss. Very feminine and wearable, though I usually opt for less glamorous scents.
    Last edited by Chestnut; 27th November 2008 at 02:12 AM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Hello, fellow snifferettes, Chesnut and Purplebird7.
    You gotta give "E" credit for not being a smell-alike. I finally got a little sick of it from decanting samples and smelling it too intensely. I can see what you're saying about "nutty," P, although I thought the basenotes were like a sweet dough, toasted.

Anyone with any curiousity about this scent, please just ask me for a samp.

Re: Hindu Kush. You know how you sometimes have to be in a mood to wear certain fragrances? HK is one I think I could put on any time; it's just that hospitable.

Yes, Purple, re nutty -- last night I came across a misplaced bottle of Eau d'Hiver, which I don't wear anymore and of course had to spray some on. I understand what Turin means about "pale almonds" for that one, and I'm wondering now if that nutty-powder quality is related to what you smell (I get a tiny suggestion of it) in E. Does anyone know what gives the impression of nuttiness -- it's not actual nut oil, right?

Quarry, I just tried new Citizen Queen and thought there was some real similarity to E in the creamy drydown, though I prefer "E" -- the big brightness appeals to me.

Okay, time to start slinging pans around.

This morning I tried the Feromone Donna and got exactly what Quarry described. It's springlike, gentle, green, a bit musky, with some paperwhite funk to it. I liked that part best, actually, because it smelled very real, but it does fade quickly. I compared it, as Quarry suggested, to CB Narcissus. CB's is soapier smelling, minus the hyperreal bulb funk, doesn't have the powder/musk/wood quality and is stronger, but I think a little bit strident compared to the Profumo, (which is, however, quite shortlived on me).

Profumo.it

Inspired by Quarry and Chestnutís reviews in this thread. I ordered a set of 6 samples from profumo.it as a Christmas present to myself. I also have a couple of samples from the Perfumed Court
    Iíll be reporting on the results as I test them.

Chrismas evening. I opened the chest and each small wonderful bottle and just sniffed. Many intriguing things to come but one just reached out and grabbed me.

Tcharas / Ciaras Afgano from the profumo.it web page
    ďWith a base of Civet and Castoreum and with the resinous and flowery essences available to perfumers I attempted to revive a whole epoch.Ē

The Italian version lists an additional note: hemp

Iím in love. This is going onto my wish list immediately and I expect I will be ordering a full bottle very soon. (I might manage a full wearing and at least skin test the others before I pull the trigger Ö maybe )

An ambery? resin delight.I am not sure what resins I am smelling. I donít smell frankincense. By elimination maybe stryrax with a touch a myrrh? There are hints of flowers but it reminds me more of the more floral ouds (Kyara, Royal Kinam) than of flowers themselves. Definitely animalic without being fecal. I think the combination of the civet and castoreum is part of what makes this so seductive.

12/26 before shower couldnít resist smelling a couple. Tcharas is still wonderful but somewhat overwhelmed by

Hindu Kush, spicier perhaps a hint of black pepper, some sort of wonderful spiced curry or stew is cooking on a wood fire nearby. Iíve been wanting a pepper scent. This may be it but Iíll try it another day.

After shower and breakfast

Tcharas Ė full wearing

Close proximity to a large softly furred creature. Friendly but not tame. The soaring resin is there but it somewhat muted today. A skin scent, one that draws me to keep sniffing.

I ran some errands. It is still there but I I donít think I put enough on this morning. I want more! I decanted some into a sprayer and let loose. Much better. The tiny bottles are decorative and they hold lots but, I think I need a spray to apply these.

I am now enveloped in a cloud of Tcharas. I am feeling wonderfully relaxed and at ease. A wonderful scent for a lazy day at home. Definitely on the buy it soon list.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I'm so excited for you, whisp! Will resniff Tcharas and think of you. Look forward to hearing more of your impressions.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Last night I sniffed
    Holy Water Sandalwood, rose and orange blossom and muted incense.

Sea Wood Ė vetyver with just a hint of spice and wood. An intriguing take on vetyver. More unisex than some.

Today this morning wearing Holy Water.

Started by spraying it on. At first I definitely smell the orange blossom. After a bit I can smell the sandalwood and hints of incense beneath the orange blossom. The incense grows quite a bit on me. I smell mostly frankincense which for once doesnít turn into something awful. I think the orange blossom (and perhaps the barest hint of orange itself?) keep it brighter. If this is a church sanctuary it is a modern one, filled with morning sunlight. It isnít me. At least not today but I will definitely revisit it.

This afternoon

Oak Moss Ė Sandalwood, Vetyver and Oak Moss. This is wonderful. The sandalwood has a wonderful spiciness. Thanks to the note identification project I recognize the oakmoss. There is lots of it here. The vetyver is reticent at least at first, an accent rather than the star of the show. There is at least the illusion of some other woods in this. It may just be the richness of the oakmoss and the sandalwood. I could definitely wear this and it would be fun to layer.

Sampling this morning (these are via TPC)
    Hay
    Dried hay. Memories of a hay ride. Riding in a wagon full of it. Sweet, akin to good pipe tobacco but this is definitely dried hay. What fun! I really like this. Must order more. Quarry have you sampled this yet? If not Iíll send it to you. It is too wonderful not to share.

Saffron sandalwood and saffron. More ethereal than some Iíve smelled. I think I need to be enveloped in clouds of it to get the full effect.

Back to the little chest
    Grezzo Ė (notes from the thread above - clary sage, thyme, neroli, vetyver, rose, mysore sandalwood, rosewood, patchouli, frankincense and castoreum )
    masculine side of unisex. I think could wear it. I might, weíll see. Much harder to pick out the components of this. I like the herbal (thyme and clary sage) top notes they are unexpected enough to intrigue.

Back to Tcharas this afternoon. Felt more like relaxing in something I love than giving something new a full wearing today.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whisperingleaves View Post
    Dried hay. Memories of a hay ride. Riding in a wagon full of it. Sweet, akin to good pipe tobacco but this is definitely dried hay. What fun! I really like this. Must order more. Quarry have you sampled this yet? If not Iíll send it to you. It is too wonderful not to share.
    Ooo, baby. I'd kiss your toes! Yes, please.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.