Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best incense other than CDG

I've sampled the entire CDG Incense series and I am looking for suggestions for other incense frags. I found Avignon to be too intense to wear day to day. Ourzazate is too introverted, and after a couple of hours, can barely be smelled at all. Jaisalmer speaks of pine or cedar, but is very light on incense. Zagorsk is interesting, and I may end up with a bottle of this one. I'm already sold on Kyoto, and have bought a bottle.

Does anyone else have suggestions for other incense frags that are somewhere between Avignon and Kyoto in intensity. Thanks much for your expertise.

JonB

Default Re: Best incense other than CDG

The two that I like are L'Artisan's Passage d'Enfer - light, airy incense with ethereal florals (white lily), very elegant, if a little too subtle and melancholic, and Jubilation XXV - incense doesn't play the first violin in this one but is visibly present, this one is bottled luxury with an appropriately ridiculous price tag.

Many have compared Tumulte (Christian Lacroix) to Kyoto.

I'm a huge fan of Messe de Minuit by Etro, but it has a cumin note that may turn you off. Cardinal by Heeley just might be what you're looking for.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 3rd November 2008 at 06:04 PM.

For a good incense I always go with Nemo or Le Labo Vetiver 46.

Three very good incense fragrances other than CdG are:

Amouge Jubilation XXV -A floral wood combination smells like a comination of CdG parfum + Kyoto + Jaisalmer + plus roses. Created by Bertrand Duchaufour who is the master of incense and wood compositions for CdG and others.

Miller Harris En Sens de Bois - very dry pure incense with haunting wood notes and smoke. Also created by Bertrand Duchaufour.

Let Me Play the Lion by LesNez - a dusty dry but green incense wood fragrnace. Smells like sun heated high plains sage and pinion brush.

Try the following, they are very dry incense notes without a lot of spice or heavy notes.
    Armani Prive Bois D'Encens
    Frederic Malle Bois D'Orage

You might also try Lorenzo Villoresi Incensi for a subdued and interesting incense note.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Lubin Le Vetiver smells just like Zagorsk, only difference, the Lubin is much more refined and wearable.
    No Incense could be as intense as Avignon. had Malle had released it, they would have probabaly named it Frankicense Ultimatum. but still, if you liek strong frankincense, then please do give C&S Frankinsense & Myrrh a try.
    Lacroix Tumulte Does indeed smell like Kyoto, but both are different enough to be in the same wardrobe.

Tumulte just smells like a huge does of fake petrol Cedar.

L'Occitane Eax des Bavx and Pal Zileri Sartoriale have prominent notes that are very much like expensive Japanese incense.
    Havn't tried Jubilation, but those^ have the best incense notes for me, other than CDG.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 3rd November 2008 at 06:23 PM.

Jubilation XXV is the ultimate, but so is the price: $250.

Nemo...

Basenotes Institution

Serge Noire and Encens et Lavande by Serge Lutens

Give Olibanum a try

For frankincense I'd suggest giving Profumum's Olibanum and L'Artisan's Passage d'Enfer a whirl... I prefer Avignon to both of them, but I suspect our tastes are quite different anyhow, as Zagorsk is more Pinesol than perfume to me.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bond's Andy Warhol Silver Factory.

Though, I don't like incense fragrances, but this one is worth checking out if you do.

Eau d'Italie Sienne l'Hiver

Another vote for Jubilation XXV...simply the best incense out there.

If you want strong a la Avignon, Armani Prive, if you want sublte Goutal Encense, if you want animalic, L'Eau Guerriere by Parfumerie Generale.

i'm not a fan of incense but i own 2 oz of Jubilation XXV...great take on wonderful smoky woody notes soaked in incense......by the way, i paid 100 dollars from BeautyEncounter for it
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    i'm not a fan of incense but i own 2 oz of Jubilation XXV...great take on wonderful smoky woody notes soaked in incense......by the way, i paid 100 dollars from BeautyEncounter for it
    I suspect most of BE's XXV stock was snatched by Basenotes members Too bad they are sold out, I would have bought a third bottle

I've tried several niche incense frags as well as Tumulte, and my favorite is actually Jacomo Rouge. I'm always amazed at how good some "cheapos" are in relation to the super-expensive ones!
    Last edited by Bigsly; 3rd November 2008 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I've tried several niche incense frags as well as Tumulte, and my favorite is actually Jacomo Rouge. I'm always amazed at how good some "cheapos" are in relation to the super-expensive ones!
    ive always been looking to trying jacomo rouge....heard alot of good things about it.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Jacomo Rouge holds a special place for me as it was my first fragrance. it still holds it's place amongst all niche one's. true, it's a very unique scent but, i don't get Frankincense type incense of it. the incense in it is more resinous and sap kinds. Think of it as a denser, spicier & woodsy version of Le Male with a slight touch of A*men
    Last edited by jenson; 3rd November 2008 at 09:56 PM.

For bright incense notes, it's Villoresi's Incensi.

For darker incense notes, I've gotta go with Donna Karan's Black Cashmere (my SOTE).

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I completely, fully, wholly, entirely second the Lorenzo Villoresi Incensi, Profumum Olibanum and L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer recommendations

I have to disagree with Jenson on 2 points however, first being Lubin Le Vetiver does not smell exactly like Zagorsk, there are similarities, yes but definitely not an exact replica. Zagorsk is much more wicked and has more of an Impact IMO since it isn't intended to be more refined. Secondly, Czech & Speake Frankincense and Myrrh is pretty weak on the Frankincense. It appeared that it almost struggled to prove it's existence in the frag which seems ironic, given its name ...and no, I didn't have a turned or bad sample.

Other recommendations I'd add are : The Different Company Des Sens et Bois, Miller et Bertaux Spiritus #2, Parfumerie Generale Querelle, L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe. There are more but that's all off the top of my head at the moment.

EDIT : I must also mention Josef Staktus. Excellent Incense fragrance that figures exactly between Avignon and Kyoto in terms of Intensity. See if you can sample this, totally worth the effort IMO.
    Last edited by Amit; 4th November 2008 at 08:15 AM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Plus

My favourite non-CDG incense frag is Passage d'Enfer, but I also like Amouage Jubilation XXV a lot.
    A cheaper but still very nice alternative is Azzaro Visit; nutmeg and incense
    I love cologne.

After reading all these recommendations I lost my (in)sense of direction....
    Although I am not a Tauer fan, I can recommend Incense Extreme to someone who wants an incense
    that makes his gray cells whirl at double speed. I myself am quite content hanging on to CDG.
    Last edited by narcus; 4th November 2008 at 09:09 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

For me Passage d´Enfer is still too much but give Dzonghka a try
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr16 View Post
    Nemo...
    *heart becomes warmer*

~ Nemo ~
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Lubin Le Vetiver smells just like Zagorsk, only difference, the Lubin is much more refined and wearable.
    Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    I have to disagree with Jenson on 2 points however, first being Lubin Le Vetiver does not smell exactly like Zagorsk, there are similarities, yes but definitely not an exact replica. Zagorsk is much more wicked and has more of an Impact IMO since it isn't intended to be more refined. Secondly, Czech & Speake Frankincense and Myrrh is pretty weak on the Frankincense. It appeared that it almost struggled to prove it's existence in the frag which seems ironic, given its name ...and no, I didn't have a turned or bad sample.
    buddy, i dunno if you have sworn to misquote me. Lubin in "MY" eyes is much more wearable than Zagorsk. Zagorsk, as others have pointed out as well, smells like pinesol (to me as well). and the similarities are good enough to make a choice, if i were the buyer, and if i were to choose between the two, "I" would choose Le Vetiver anyday over Zagorsk for its refined approach and yet, still keeping the magic of incense alive and intense. if Zagorsk is more wearable for you then it's your choice, i won't challenge it.

Secondly, the OP requested for a scent which is not as strong as Avignon, hence i made the suggestion of F&M. if you see my quote, i made a comment that Avignon is the strongest, no other scent can come close. F&M is a frankincense based scent and is definitely more potent that Passage d'enfer & Timbuktu.
    Last edited by jenson; 4th November 2008 at 12:32 PM.

Another vote for Etro Messe de Minuit

buddy, i dunno if you have sworn to misquote me. Lubin in "MY" eyes is much more wearable than Zagorsk. Zagorsk, as others have pointed out as well, smells like pinesol (to me as well). and the similarities are good enough to make a choice, if i were the buyer, and if i were to choose between the two, "I" would choose Le Vetiver anyday over Zagorsk for its refined approach and yet, still keeping the magic of incense alive and intense. if Zagorsk is more wearable for you then it's your choice, i won't challenge it.

Secondly, the OP requested for a scent which is not as strong as Avignon, hence i made the suggestion of F&M. if you see my quote, i made a comment that Avignon is the strongest, no other scent can come close. F&M is a frankincense based scent and is definitely more potent that Passage d'enfer & Timbuktu.
    Mate, mate, I think you really need to quit accusing me of misquoting you. In that other thread where we had a lil' disagreement (I wont call it a flame war, cause it wasn't) you continued to accuse me of various things. I guess it's time I set the record straight. Firstly, I didn't quote you, at all.. much less misquote you. I simply said I disagree with you. It is my opinion and I'm sure you know the universal saying "Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one" don't you? And we all know what people (including ourselves) think about people without opinions.. I don't even want to wonder what i'd think of someone without an a$$hole

You said this :

Lubin Le Vetiver smells just like Zagorsk
    to which I simply said this :

Lubin Le Vetiver does not smell exactly like Zagorsk
    Where's the alleged misquote? That's right... there is none... i.e. just one of your accusations.

Post that, you said this :

but still, if you liek strong frankincense, then please do give C&S Frankinsense & Myrrh a try
    To which I said this :

Czech & Speake Frankincense and Myrrh is pretty weak on the Frankincense
    Again, where's the alleged misquote? Bingo! there's none!. If in your original post you intended to say that the Frankincense in the C&S is more intense than in the L'Artisan PdE (which you clarified much later) then you should have included that in your original post itself. Not my fault if you leave your posts halfway, is it? You surely didn't expect me to have an epiphany about it, did you?

And about all the rest of what you wrote, It's about your choice of scent and I respect that, to each their own.. right? And I must repeat again, I had simply disagreed with you, and not criticized you or put you down. So, quit with the accusations, will ya?

And oh, this isn't a flame post, so if you take it as one.. I can't help it.

/Dinner time.

Massive rose incense: good old Knowing, Estée Lauder

If you like frankincense, there is always my favorite Frank scent: Vanille Tonka by Parfums de Nicolai
    Last edited by mrclmind; 4th November 2008 at 03:17 PM.

Gucci Rush for Men
    L'Occitane Eav des Bavx
    Tumulte
    Oscar Pour Lui
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I'm not a big fan of incense, but I really like Passage d'Enfer. Aside from the incense and floral notes, there's something in it that reminds me of cold stones and candle wax.

re: Jacomo Rouge as a best alternative ... wtf !!
    Sorry Bigsly but I disagree with you again .
    >> There is more incense in one wearing of Avignon than there is on the whole bottle of Jacomo Rouge !! .. I presume the CDG's are almost as overwhelming .
    To those looking for incense frags take note !
    When i first sampled Jacomo Rouge I found it like a lighter airier Body Kouros .
    both sweet gourmands & none of them did anything for me .
    When i first tried Avignon , it changed my whole perspective on fragrances & was a monumental point in this hobby of ours ..... it rocked my senses !!
    I am now manically seeking to try Cardinal , Olibanum & as many of the other heavyweights mentioned by those that know & have spoken about them in many other threads .
    The Bottom Line Is >
    In my opinion , JR cannot even really be considered incense despite having a drop or two listed as being in its base notes makeup .
    cheers .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Amouage, Jubilation XXV. The best; hands down.

Not a fan of Avignon, thought it was pretty weak. Not unique, IMHO. Additionally, the longevity was poor. Maybe it did not agree with my skin??
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 5th November 2008 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post

Not a fan of Avignon, thought it was pretty weak. Not unique, IMHO. Additionally, the longevity was poor. Maybe it did not agree with my skin??
    Are you sure you tested Avignon and not Ourzazate. Avignon is definitely not weak, and not lacking in longevity. I would love to try Jubilation XXV, but I certainly do not like the price of that one.

I second the recommendation of TDC's Des Sens & Bois - an ethereal take on incense.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

The new L'Artisan scent, Aedes De Venustas for the eponymous store in NY is quite heavy on the incense. It's new and worth checking out and is additionally not created by anyone involved in the CdG camp...as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    When i first tried Avignon , it changed my whole perspective on fragrances & was a monumental point in this hobby of ours ..... it rocked my senses !!
    I went through the same, and ever since then, Avignon is my personal reference incense. When I was new to BN, Messe de Minuit was the one that most guys seemed to prefer. I obtained that one later, but as much as I like it, I happen not to fall under its spell.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Are you sure you tested Avignon and not Ourzazate. Avignon is definitely not weak, and not lacking in longevity. I would love to try Jubilation XXV, but I certainly do not like the price of that one.

Yea the price is absurd but great juice IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post

It may be the best hands down or not .
    Either way I would like to try the Amouge one day soon .
    I beleive one of us should gather the top twenty incense heavy frags mentioned on this thread & other recent ones & run a poll .

SALES

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I second the recommendation of TDC's Des Sens & Bois - an ethereal take on incense.
    Definitely agree on yhi one- check it out, it's magnificent

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    It may be the best hands down or not .
    Either way I would like to try the Amouge one day soon .
    I beleive one of us should gather the top twenty incense heavy frags mentioned on this thread & other recent ones & run a poll .
    we did have a poll sometime back.. here is the link..

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...hlight=incense

p.s. results are at the bottom of the page...

thanx Jenson
    Avignon was at the top then .
    cheers

SALES

Annick Goutal quite recently came out with a range of 3 fragrances "Les Orientalistes" http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...7/3469700.html
    I love the Frankincense based one - "Encens Flamboyant" and am wearing it right now.
    It's deceptively simple, very long lasting and is a very refined take on incense layered over incense.

^ Agreed.

I believe Les Nez's Let Me Play The Lion follows the same pattern. It's more airy and transparent than the Goutal, though.

1. encens et lavende

also, timbuktu if you are a l'artisan fan which I am not.

I'm not much of an incense fan with the exception of the incense accords created by Bertrand Duchaufour;therefore, my vote goes to one of my favorites among his many perfumes, L'Artisan Dzongkha. IMO Bertrand Duchaufour has mastered the art of the incense accord. In this thread, note the mentions of scents Duchaufour created: Avignon, Kyoto, Jubilation XXV, Timbuktu, Aedes de Venstas...

Jubilaion XXV

Full Incense

Last edited by Trauerkraut; 14th November 2012 at 12:02 PM.

+1 on Le Labo Vetiver 46 and also Gucci pour Homme I and Amouage Memoir Man.

I'm very surprised nobody has mentioned Olivier Durbano's line, which is very incense-dominated. My favorites are Rock Crystal (which is similar to Profumum's Olibanum) and Black Tourmaline (which is more like an extremely fragrant bonfire than church incense.)

Banned

One would be:

Wazamba by Parfum d'Empire
    - Initially, one is treated to a rush of smoky, colophony incense commingling with the Christmas tree aroma of balsam fir. At once, one is immersed in the resinous warmth of a lively incense coupled with the somewhat minty coolness of fir, creating an illusion of a forest floor with crushed needles and embers from a dying fire. A sweep of aldehyde provides a fizzy greenness. And, a faint backdrop of a slightly tart and clean apple also presents. Transitioning to the heart, the incense is relegated to the background while a cool and medicinal myrrh vies with a warm and sweet opopanax. And, an odoriferous labdanum imparts its warm and sweet, ambergris character. The enhanced resins flow to the receptive base. A gentle sandalwood, with its buttery and softly sweet woodiness, lifts the resinous, incense concoction. A soothing cypress infuses its pine-like woodiness with an ambergris nuance. A mystically comforting drydown ensues. This exotic composition is unisex, but leans to the masculine side. A rather unique scent, it has average, radiating projection, and good longevity, about 11 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloan View Post
    I'm not much of an incense fan with the exception of the incense accords created by Bertrand Duchaufour;therefore, my vote goes to one of my favorites among his many perfumes, L'Artisan Dzongkha. IMO Bertrand Duchaufour has mastered the art of the incense accord. In this thread, note the mentions of scents Duchaufour created: Avignon, Kyoto, Jubilation XXV, Timbuktu, Aedes de Venstas...
    And four years later this still is valid to me also. WAZAMBA, the dollars&scents recommendation, sounds good too.

I’m sticking with Opus IV. Most of the others lack a sensual warmth that my skin (and nose) desperately needs.

Arso

Fille en Aiguilles

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I'll add Azzaro Visit to this Nemo suggestion.