Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance Bliss: Incense Extreme by Andy Tauer

Hi everyone I was lucky enough to win a sample of Andy Tauer's Incense Extreme from Perfume-Smellin' Things back in January and the moment I applied it, I felt an intense connection to the fragrance. It felt somehow "me" as much as a favorite pair of jeans might feel. I instantly connected to the cool, peppery frankincense blast that, true to its name, VERY INTENSELY infiltrated the air around me. I was so inspired by it and the sensations I was experiencing that I wrote Andy to thank him, and to promise him that I'd be the owner of his beautiful creation one day. And that was true, and after a few months with it, I feel compelled to share my joy, which seems to strike me anew every time I wear Incense Extreme.

The reason I feel a strong connection to the fragrance is because I not only love the way it smells, but I respect its artistic integrity so much. Andy set out to paint a picture, or more exactly, convey a photo image with photo clarity, via fragrance and he very much achieved this goal. I know many people have mentioned that the word Extreme was a misnomer, but I have to disagree. This is a very intense fragrance, but I believe it is extreme in a way that many weren't expecting. Extreme here refers to concentration and density and not "crazy acolytes setting the entire supply of incense ablaze in the pastor's office, filling the air with smoke for days).

The fragrance enters the air without the slightest alcohol edge. There is a thickness, an intensity to this experience but all the while, the fragrance has the FEEL of lightness, of open space, of crisp air. That contrast is genius. When you read Andy's intent, the contrast between the lightness of a wisp of smoke, the crispness of a desert night (I feel more a crisp, chilly desert morning), and density and richness of the frankincense (I love applying the word "rich" to frankincense. It seems unlikely but this fragrance is very rich) you must respect the fragrance when these sensations play out so beautifully throughout the day.

So, in very brief, the experience (or I should say, my experience with it) is thus: I start out noticing a very rich, peppery incense note supported by a sort of cool, rooty iris impression (though not as cool as Zagorsk feels on me, which occasionally enters into carrot territory, which I also love). After a while, the density of the frankincense seems to "break apart" and become more prickly in the nose, much drier, and the rooty iris impression seems to become more powdery. At this point, things seem to "bake" a bit, and the spices seem to heat things up, and all the cool, richness seems to have been flipped on its head and the fragrance becomes hot, parched, pointed, yet still intense, just in a different way.

The beauty, the absolute stunning beauty of Incense Extreme is that it's like carrying around with you all day, a mountain hike. I spend summers in Colorado, and this fragrance is the most like that air that I can imagine. It's cool in the morning, hot and dry in the afternoon, and natural and lovely throughout. I sense the big blue sky, the hot, dusty rocks, the dry air. Incense Extreme doesn't seem to intend to recall the ceremonial incense of Avignon, and though smoke is pictured on the front of the bottle, I don't sense it as a smoky incense fragrance.

Incense Extreme is one of a kind. It is like capturing a gigantic, open landscape in a bottle. I know I have an active imagination but these words flow like water from a faucet when I wear IE. As I write this I am also wearing Hinoki, Zagorsk, and Encens et Lavande, and Avignon (just for the heck of it) and this is different and beautiful enough to never worry about overlapping into any of those fragrances' territories. Incense Extreme has its very defined place in this category of fragrances. I highly recommend sampling this fragrance to all those incense enthusiasts out there, and I know there are many of you Another unlikely aspect of Incense Extreme is that it regularly gets noticed and is in fact my best friend's favorite fragrance I own. She loves when I wear it. She says it smells clean and peaceful, and I agree 100%.

I'd love to hear some other experiences with the fragrance, if anyone wants to share. As always, I'd highly recommend getting an official sample or a spray sample. Diffusion is key to experiencing these shifts in form and atmosphere. Thanks for reading
    Last edited by nthny; 3rd November 2008 at 10:52 PM.

Default Re: Fragrance Bliss: Incense Extreme by Andy Tauer

Very interesting. I've been thinking of a way to express our sense of smell better than anyone has before. One thing I've found is that some frags have "fullness" though that doesn't mean those without fullness are inferior (for example, a frag can be aromatic and great without being full). I've found that many of these kinds of niche frags are too heavy in their fullness. I prefer a more "delicate" fullness. One frag like that is Jacomo Rouge. It's a very light and delicate incense frag, but it's full. When I was a "newbie," I couldn't appreciate it. I had to learn how to deal with top notes before I could experience all that JR has to offer. I'd like to sample this new frag, but I've been so disappointed by them (for example, Timbuktu) that I just can't bring myself to spend any money on them when I have so many great ones already.

I appreciate your altruistic feelings for IE. I have yet to experience the line. The Morracain (sp?) fragrance seems to be popular and I would like to know, would you recommend IE to someone who is new to the line? I am thinking to order one and instead of ordering blind, I wouldn't mind some input. You mention Hinoki which happens to be my Holy Grail and since you seem to think that those who love this type of fragrance will in the very least appreciate IE. I just may have to go for it!

I've tried Tauers line, except for Lonestar Memories, and I have to admit that Incense Extreme was the one that dissapointed me the most. Being used to L'Air and lately also to Vetiver Dance, I found IE to be a bit linear. A thin black and white painting amongst a few very colourful works. IE finally tought me that I love incense when it's one of many ingredients, like in L'Air, but on it's own or as the prominent note I'm utterly confused. Imagine the kettledrums in Khachaturian's Sabre Dance on their own, that's how I feel about IE.
    Last edited by Noalick; 4th November 2008 at 12:12 AM.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

I wish I could have felt the same way about this one. I love many of his line and Incense Rosé will always be the scent of my girlfriend, but IE stayed very linear and (sorry) boring to me... even some bugspray notes that I could do without. I still have some of the sample left so I'll revisit it from your great review though.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Bigsley, I think you totally grab what I'm saying about that thick, "full" but light thing.

Scentologist, if I were pressed to imagine another fragrance which gives me a "similar" impression, I would say Hinoki, but with Hinoki I get a different sort of spacial sensation, that being a cold, snowy REALLY BRIGHT SUNNY morning in the forest. So in that they both convey a sensation of big bright blue sky and nature, for me at least, I think you'd have no trouble appreciating this at least. I don't blind buy so I couldn't recommend them for those purposes, that is, either of the Tauers. I LOVE BOTH!!! And they are SO SO DIFFERENT that it's hard to recommend one over the other. These are very personal fragrances and I think each person experiences them in a different way. I don't know what it is about Tauer fragrances but they feel personal, made for you, with high quality, and you sense the care that went into each composition. I don't know if I'm influenced by his website, his interaction with the fragrance-loving community, and his desire to draw less of a line between himself and the consumer than perhaps larger houses, but whatever it is, I sense something very personal in his perfumes. I am not sure I could say IE is representative of his normal compositional style but I think the link between it and his other fragrances is the ability to paint a sort of spacial picture without delving into the territory of "obvious" or silly. I say sample both! You won't regret it! I forgot to mention there is the tiniest hint of soap TINY TINY TINY TINY TINY hint of it, and it translates to a sense of "clean" that adds a fascinating modern touch to the mix. I think it's the clean my friend smells when she comments on it.

Honestly, Noalick, I love your imagery of the kettle drums. The imagery I sense when I wear this has been something that has grown on me and expanded as I've gotten to know it, but it isn't very complex, you are right. I knew as I was writing this that IE doesn't have a huge following and there is a voice inside my head that asks why I like it so darn much, and perhaps it's that it connects me to some of my happiest memories in Colorado, like I mentioned. Honestly, I haven't tried Incense Rose, which I will be sampling in December for sure!

jrd4t, I'll tell you what, I have noticed that you and I have A LOT OF SIMILAR likes and loves but it can't be 10 for 10 haha. You don't have to be sorry about thinking it's boring I think it's that very sense of peaceful non-complexity that I like. Thanks for commenting! When you try it again, smell it at various times throughout the day. I'm curious if others notice this sort of flip of sensations. Let me know. Who knows, Andy Tauer himself might be like, "uhhh... Anthony, that's uh... an... 'interesting' perspective" haha
    Last edited by nthny; 4th November 2008 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I wish I could have felt the same way about this one. I love many of his line and Incense Rosé will always be the scent of my girlfriend, but IE stayed very linear and (sorry) boring to me... even some bugspray notes that I could do without. I still have some of the sample left so I'll revisit it from your great review though.
    Incense Rosé reminds me so much of mulled wine that whenever it's in the air I will eventually start humming christmas carols. Have you ever got that feeling?
    Last edited by Noalick; 4th November 2008 at 12:35 AM.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post

Honestly, Noalick, I love your imagery of the kettle drums. The imagery I sense when I wear this has been something that has grown on me and expanded as I've gotten to know it, but it isn't very complex, you are right. I knew as I was writing this that IE doesn't have a huge following and there is a voice inside my head that asks why I like it so darn much, and perhaps it's that it connects me to some of my happiest memories in Colorado, like I mentioned. Honestly, I haven't tried Incense Rose, which I will be sampling in December for sure!commenting!
    It's just as you say that we associate differently. I too like simple scents, like soliflowers. To me that works, but regarding incense I seem to think that it should work as a backup note. Andy also made it hard for himself, releasing such a masterpiece as L'Air. Not exactly easy to be noticed in that shadow.

Beautiful and evocative review/impressions nthny

I very recently was able to sample it too and while I haven't worn it enough or not given it a "full" wearing, I'd say I have to agree with you on most parts. I liked it and it definitely felt different enough so as to not replicate any other fragrance I already own.

I must revisit this (and Incense Rose) soon!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Thnx for the wonderful review Nthny! though i haven't tested it, i now have a good feel for what to expect. Im not a fan of Frankincense "dominated" scents, so, Incense extreme would be definitely a sample before you buy kinda scent for me

I have tried 4 scents from this line so far- Incense Rose, L'Air, Lonestar Memories & Vetiver Dance. of these, i would put my money only on Vetiver Dance. Tauer Touched a different high on VD, a quality which none of the previous releases can match. others are most definitely 10 ml decants kinda perfumes for me.

Thanks for the comments Java
    Jenson, are you serious? That's so great to know because I haven't tried Vetiver Dance yet and now I can't wait to. Saying that Vetiver Dance touched a different high is really saying a lot. I love knowing when a fragrance REALLY has moved someone...

Yes Nthny, i'm not really a sucker for green vetiver frags(mugler cologne etc)..however, this is a masterpiece and something i'll surely invest on. it would remind you of chergui (minus the heady milkiness) in it's sillage. but boy, what a scent, and the quality, Top Notch.

i feel compelled to explain my thoughts on other Tauer's before being misquoted..

Lair: i really "loved" the opening notes (i typically like herbal openings and it reminded me of amber sultan, which is my HG)..but then the peppery hot vetiver came in...which is not to my taste (Tdh and red vetyver types)..however, i still find it pleasing coz it's covered with aromatic herbs to an extent.

Lonestar Memories: nice leather based scent with the smell of being on road, terrific concept, so very well executed...but it ends up(mid-base notes) smelling like bubble gum on me...

all the above are 10 ml decant type of scent for me(except for VD)

Incense Rose: it's nice, but very rusty and to an extent feels incomplete...however, it has a very wafting, kinda mesmerising sillage...again, not FBW for me... plus, this one gives me rashes...
    Last edited by jenson; 4th November 2008 at 02:38 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Good review nthny.

So here's the deal w/ me and Incense Extreme.

I happen to like smoky incense. Most of the CdG Incenses are smoky and for me, I prefer my incense scents like this. I actually don't like burning real incense because the smoke can be a little annoying in the house, which makes me like incense scented fragrances even more!

When I first tried IE, my first thought was, 'Where the hell is the incense!?'. My nose was waiting for the smoke and there wasn't any. Just incense. Which is how I learned that there are other, more resinous styles of incense out there in the world (and in fragrances). Much later, I tested Encens et Lavande by Serge Lutens and encountered the same thing: non-smoky, resinous incense.

In addition, after subsuquent wearings of IE, I realize (like you) that it does last. It's subtle, but it's got incredible longevity.

But, in the end it's not my style of incense scent. I prefer some smoke and I get it from other incense scents. Like the new Serge Noire by Lutens, which I plan to buy a full bottle of very soon.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th November 2008 at 02:27 AM.

Mike, thanks for weighing in You and others have definitely made Serge Noir a must try. I simply can't wait! I was curious what you'd have thought about the iris (orris?) element in IE as I know you are really attracted to this note. I find it adds a certain cool breath of fresh air which is hard to find in smoky incense fragrances, which I LOVE, too Again, thanks for posting
    Last edited by nthny; 5th November 2008 at 05:15 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Mike, thanks for weighing in You and others have definitely made Serge Noir a must try. I simply can't wait! I was curious what you'd have thought about the iris (orris?) element in IE as I know you are really attracted to this note. I find it adds a certain cool breath of fresh air which is hard to find in smoky incense fragrances, which I LOVE, too Again, thanks for posting
    You're welcome nthny.

The orris in IE, is my favorite part. Mind you, Andy's discontinued Orris is, IMO, one of my holy grail scents. I have only ever gotten a sample, but I wore it on New Years Eve a couple years ago and that night (and that fragrance) are embedded into my consciousness. It's so unlike any other iris scent on the market. It's dirty and dark. So - when I got a whiff of it, in the drydown of IE - I literally smiled.

My fantasy is to one day, acquire a bottle of Orris. If this never happens, I just might buy myself a bottle of IE and put up with the incense (that is not my favorite) just to experience the orris drydown that's Andy's signature. Same goes for Incense Rose - I smelled it that one too. But IR is sour and kind of gross on my skin, so I don't think I could tolerate wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Good review nthny.

So here's the deal w/ me and Incense Extreme.

I happen to like smoky incense. Most of the CdG Incenses are smoky and for me, I prefer my incense scents like this. I actually don't like burning real incense because the smoke can be a little annoying in the house, which makes me like incense scented fragrances even more!

When I first tried IE, my first thought was, 'Where the hell is the incense!?'. My nose was waiting for the smoke and there wasn't any. Just incense. Which is how I learned that there are other, more resinous styles of incense out there in the world (and in fragrances). Much later, I tested Encens et Lavande by Serge Lutens and encountered the same thing: non-smoky, resinous incense.

In addition, after subsuquent wearings of IE, I realize (like you) that it does last. It's subtle, but it's got incredible longevity.

But, in the end it's not my style of incense scent. I prefer some smoke and I get it from other incense scents. Like the new Serge Noire by Lutens, which I plan to buy a full bottle of very soon.
    Hey, I just had an A-HA! moment, there.
    Incense en smoke *don't* always go together, then! I, too, love the entire CdG Incense series, I love Olivier Durbano Tourmalin Noir and L'Air du Desert Marocain, and to a lesser degree, Encens Flamboyant. When sampling Incense Extrême, I did do a double take: no incense? Initially, it just seemed a bit sour and musty, and not particularly like my beloved incense.
    Thinking back, this may be the reason I didn't care for Passage d'Enfer, either.

Thanks, Mike!

Also, mental note to self: try Serge Noire.

I really need to try IE. Along with Moroc pour Elle and the discontinued Orris, it's the only Tauer I haven't sampled.

I love LAdDM (this is the only one I have a bottle of), LM, and Reverie au Jardin (which I think is terribly underrated). I really like Incense Rose, though after repeated wearings of my sample I somehow grew a bit tired of it. And I'm all over the map on Vetiver Dance. I totally appreciate its artistry, and I love it after a couple hours, but I still have trouble with the way its opening works on me.

I was wearing this today and I really like it. I find it better than a few from the CDG Incense line (they're a bit synthetic) and Hinoki. Tauer's incense to me is refined, cool and a bit dusty.

Big thumbs up from me. Putting my faith in Tauer and wanting to check out his Vetiver Dance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I was wearing this today and I really like it. I find it better than a few from the CDG Incense line (they're a bit synthetic) and Hinoki. Tauer's incense to me is refined, cool and a bit dusty.

Big thumbs up from me. Putting my faith in Tauer and wanting to check out his Vetiver Dance.
    I think most of the people who even like Vetiver Dance would concur that its the least interesting of Tauer creations. He should stick with darker scents.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    I think most of the people who even like Vetiver Dance would concur that its the least interesting of Tauer creations. He should stick with darker scents.
    I would assume so as well. Though, it still would be interesting to see his take on vetiver, especially since I'm not a fan of the note.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Hey, I just had an A-HA! moment, there.
    Incense en smoke *don't* always go together, then! I, too, love the entire CdG Incense series, I love Olivier Durbano Tourmalin Noir and L'Air du Desert Marocain, and to a lesser degree, Encens Flamboyant. When sampling Incense Extrême, I did do a double take: no incense? Initially, it just seemed a bit sour and musty, and not particularly like my beloved incense.
    Thinking back, this may be the reason I didn't care for Passage d'Enfer, either.

Thanks, Mike!

Also, mental note to self: try Serge Noire.
    Yes veuve amiot - there's a few smoke-less incense scents. I only like a few, since most of them leave me cold. Including Passage d'Enfer and even the new H&M by Comme des Garcons.

Please try Serge Noire. I just came back from LA with a full bottle. ((sigh of gratitude))
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th November 2008 at 05:00 AM.

Just tried a sample of incense extreme I got from lucky scent. Very dark/beautiful/ancient smelling. I would like a decant of this stuff.
    Favorite notes at this point: Sandal wood, Oud, Frankincense, Rose