Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I might as well just wear Rive Gauche every day

I love the smell of Rive Gauche, it's in my top five of all time and I will cry when it's discontinued. Beautiful clean, well groomed smell, amazing longevity, great line of matching gels and creams to go with it, great price, not too common, etc.

As much as I love it though I force myself to wear it once a week to once every two weeks simply to rotate everything in my collection. And if I wear it everyday I might get sick of it, which I doubt but I don't want to risk it.

However after today I'm tempted to just say dash it all and wear it everyday.

I got three compliments in one shift at my pharmacy today from three women of very different ages and personalitys.

Woman 1: 20 years old, Dutch, sweet girl next door type"You smell really sexy today"
    Woman 2: 38 years old, Greek, divorced mom, firecracker "You smell like what a man should smell like"
    Woman 3: 27, English/Icelandic , engaged. This one was the best one. We're talking about a billing problem when she pauses, steps forward and leans close to my chest, takes a slow loud breath and looks up at me through half open eyes and says "I would give anything for my fiance to smell like you"
    It took me aback because she comes off as very straight laced conservative so I really didn't see that one coming.

I've gotten more compliments on Rive Gauche now than pretty much everything in my wardrobe combined.

Does anyone have the Intense version? Is it better/different enough to warrant a purchase?

Default Re: I might as well just wear Rive Gauche every day

I see that this fragrance gets a ton of great reviews and there is still something holding me from buying it. The longevity that I keep reading about is a plus. It definitely is cheap as a 4.2 oz. bottle can be had for less than $30. Does this stuff literally come in a can, or is there a glass vial inside the can? Also, care to list the ingredients that is on the back of the box? I may have to break down and buy this stuff but I just hope I like it as much as many others. Perhaps I should buy a sample.
    Last edited by Ronin; 4th November 2008 at 05:36 AM.

Where the heck do you work with all these foreign women? Just seemed strange.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

edit
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 4th November 2008 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Still never smelled this one; need to order a sample. I smelled, suprisingly, my first Guerlain fragrances that I liked last night and it was Vetiver and it was pretty damn wonderful. Smelled Habit Rogue and, although good, was not for me. I think Vetiver would be a great work scent and amazing for casual weekends. I got a sample from Sephora and will wear it tomorrow and hope it has good development throughout the day.

Vetiver is amazing, however it doesn't develop much IMHO and I think that's sort of the point. After about 30 minutes it's a consistent, mossy vetiver with a hint of tobacco, but it keeps going for at least 10 hours on my skin. Try it out,you probably love it!

I've smelled Rive Gauche and i'll agree

I still haven't gotten around to buy myself a FB yet tho, maybe one of these days

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I see that this fragrance gets a ton of great reviews and there is still something holding me from buying it. The longevity that I keep reading about is a plus. It definitely is cheap as a 4.2 oz. bottle can be had for less than $30. Does this stuff literally come in a can, or is there a glass vial inside the can? Also, care to list the ingredients that is on the back of the box? I may have to break down and buy this stuff but I just hope I like it as much as many others. Perhaps I should buy a sample.

It just comes in the metal can, and it's mindblowingly light! What's holding you back from buying it? Based on the low price and how many people here love it, it's probably the safest blind buy out there. Even if you hate it, one of us will take it off your hands!

Shalashaska, you forgot to mention how old *you* are. Rive Gauche PH wouldn't work on a 15-year old.

It's a very calm, mature, barbasol scent.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by shalashaska View Post
    It just comes in the metal can, and it's mindblowingly light! What's holding you back from buying it? Based on the low price and how many people here love it, it's probably the safest blind buy out there. Even if you hate it, one of us will take it off your hands!
    I'm just interested in too many fragrances and always changing my mind about which ones I want to buy blind. The pressure of the great reviews will probably get to me sooner or later and I may just go ahead and buy it. I just want to buy a few more fragrances as of this time and Rive Gauche isn't at the top of my interests. I don't want to overdue on the buying and I'm thinking about only buying three new ones. Perhaps a bit more. The ones that are most on my interest list are Burberry London, Black XS and Body Kouros. All three fragrances starting with the letter "B." Maybe that's a sign to buy more fragrances.
    Last edited by Ronin; 4th November 2008 at 10:25 AM.

Rive Gauche has a barbershop vibe to it, in part due to cloves and other spices. It is nice, I find it powerful and only wear it occasionally.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

great great scent! wore it yesterday....always get compliments on it.

one of the best fragrances in the world. completely timeless.

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Where the heck do you work with all these foreign women? Just seemed strange.

TNMA
    Yeah, this story sounds pretty fantastical.

Quote Originally Posted by fresh2def View Post
    Yeah, this story sounds pretty fantastical.
    First, I am 26, so hopefully I'm old enough to wear it properly! lol

Second, I work in a very large pharmacy. I should clarify my post, the greek is actually from greece, the other two women are first generation, I think that's the correct term for people who are born in America but their parents were not?

The reason I list nationality stems back to a previous post of mine where I noted that different ethnic groups react differently to fragrances. I always seem to get a different reaction from Europeans or Americas who's family's are basically still new to the country. They normally don't prefer the fresh/clean scents as much.

The pharmacy I work at is the busiest in our district and our full time staff is very diverse, and the part time floaters we get, even more so. I've had the pleasure of working with people various countries in the middle east, asia, europe, africa, south america, hell I even worked with a kiwi once. Always good fun to meet someone from a new country!

Now I'm really REALLY dying to try this! It sounds fantastic! Will it work for a 21 year old? What does it actually smell of?
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post
    Now I'm really REALLY dying to try this! It sounds fantastic! Will it work for a 21 year old? What does it actually smell of?
    Try it, it's wonderful.

It will work for anyone at any age.

It smells a lot like Barbasol shaving foam. In a good way.

Oh and the name is Rive Gauche Pour Homme guys. Rive Gauche is a woman's fragrance.

This is quite tricky because I was going to say it smells just like Barbasol with spices, then I realized not every country has Barbasol. It's a very barber shot clean scent, a nicely balanced creamy mix of patchouli, clove, spices and I swear on my skin a hint of anise.

Although it is clean it is not a 'young' scent so some posters here might tell you no, it won't work for a 21 year old. The only person that can answer your question is you. Get a sample or a decant and try it out for a few days. It's dirt cheap and pretty easy to find, so getting a sample shouldn't be too hard. Try it on, if you feel too young to wear it, no harm now foul. If you pull it off though, great!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Try it, it's wonderful.

It will work for anyone at any age.

Thats what I keep on telling people. Even a 15 year old can easily wear it withouth smelling old. It is age and timeless!! I don't understand how you can smell a 70's or 80's vibe to it.
    Its the best fragrance ever

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Shalashaska, you forgot to mention how old *you* are. Rive Gauche PH wouldn't work on a 15-year old.

It's a very calm, mature, barbasol scent.
    Watch it, he might jump on you yelling "God I hate having to read ignorant opinions like this" regarding "age".

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Oh and the name is Rive Gauche Pour Homme guys. Rive Gauche is a woman's fragrance.
    Hard to believe but both Turin & Burr rate the ladies version better then the mens.

BTW I'm out of superlatives to describe RGph. This would be my "signature" scent if I had to choose one.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Im going to have to try to find this stuff!

I never tried it because reviews said it had that "barbasol" quality, which I'm not interested in. The closest I'll get to that is Lomani, which is really good for the super low price.

I must admit I'm worried about some notes such as "star anise" and "cloves" - I'm not very familiar with these notes in perfumery, but I am familiar with the spices in cooking - so I'm getting the impression of something sickly sweet, cloying, spicy, totally unsuitable for the warm weather and the total opposite of "clean".

Again, barbasol is not imported here - so I can't imagine what it smells like. I WOULD go down to the local perfumery to test it, but I'm really busy with my dissertation etc... but I guess I'll never know what the scent is unless I try it.
    A

and

I think I'm in a very, very small minority that finds Rive Gauche Pour Homme "nice" but nothing to rave over. Just a shaving cream smelling scent.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Again, barbasol is not imported here - so I can't imagine what it smells like. I WOULD go down to the local perfumery to test it, but I'm really busy with my dissertation etc... but I guess I'll never know what the scent is unless I try it.
    I have never smelled barbasol, but I find Rive Gauche smells like shaving gel from Gilette - fresh and clean. I'm not too fond of the topnotes, but after a while it really starts to shine.

Yeah well, I don't think we have barbasol over here in Holland as well, but indeed, if you don't know it, it's just the barbershop/shaving cream smell.

Anyhow, if you think Rive Gauche PH is too mature, try Versace Black Jeans. The same, but wilder and more youthful. However, I think it smells like cabbage. That has been cooked for 4 hours, mind you.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I have to admit, I was sceptical about Rive Gauche Pour Homme. When I tried it on a paper strip all I got was a blast of anise and very little else. Some time later, though, having read the positive comments about it here, I went back to the shop and sprayed some on my wrist to sample it on my skin. The difference is really marked. The sharp anise notes fade right into the background after five minutes and are replaced with the barber-shop-but-something-more scent that so many here love. I love it too and so does my wife, who thinks it smells "nice and masculine".

Sadly, the only other direct female comment was from my mother who, when hugging me to greet me a couple of weeks ago exclaimed "Yum, you smell nice!" It's always nice to get a compliment, but I'm not sure how I feel about eliciting a "Yum" from my mother! Perhaps I should put it down to the power of this fragrance to charm women, even family members. Perhaps I need to go and work in a multi-ethnic pharmacy for a wider range of compliments!

I think this is a really great men's fragrance. Although others have noted similarities to classic scents such as Azzaro Pour Homme, one of the things I like about RGPH is that it doesn't smell like the dozens of boring "fresh" EDTs that currently clog the shelves. It’s a modern twist on classic values. It's really versatile - easily suitable for the office, casual nights out and more formal occasions. I can vouch for its longevity as well – I easily get 10-12 hours out of it. This only caution I would give is to be careful wearing it in warmer weather or on a sweaty body (e.g. at the gym). This stuff can really project when heated.

Wearing flamesuit...

I appreciate that RGpH is nice but I don't get that much longevity out of it; it's gone in 3-4 hours and I haven't received any compliments when wearing it.

I guess it all depends on your skin.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

It seems like I keep seeing an increasing following for Rive Gauche. I do not know why. I bought this blind about 1 week ago. It is growing on me and I do love it but it is weird how so many people seem to be obsessed with it.

wow this stuff is cheap

I love Rive Gauche Pour Homme and would cry if it were discontiued . I get 12 hours longevity and do so with one spray under the shirt ( on chest). I used to do 2, but I worry I may cause a commotion. Honestly, this stuff is soo addicting and I really should wear it every day. When I first bought it blind, I thought it was a mistake...but no no no ! Best buy ever ( okay , Burburry London is close).

Try it....Its awesome.....But listen, if you are a Cool Water or Aqua di Gio guy, Rive Gauche is not for you.....Rive Gauche is other product very mature, elegant, masculine.....what else?

Absolutly recommend it.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I enjoy the smell of it so much that I wear it in the evenings. My husband works nights so in a sense (pun intended), he's here with me at night too.

I'm pretty neutral on Rive Gauche. It's a pleasant scent, but it's something I can live without. I find it very linear, dry, and not very complex. I'd like it more if there was some tonka or amber in the base. It's too simple for me.

What about the intense version? Does it have the same effect?
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Wearing flamesuit...

I appreciate that RGpH is nice but I don't get that much longevity out of it; it's gone in 3-4 hours and I haven't received any compliments when wearing it.

I guess it all depends on your skin.
    I didn't like it at first .... (( steamed vege's ))
    but got a bottle in a trade .
    Used it on a few occasions & as jathanas above , its since been the same with me .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
    I'm pretty neutral on Rive Gauche. It's a pleasant scent, but it's something I can live without. I find it very linear, dry, and not very complex. I'd like it more if there was some tonka or amber in the base. It's too simple for me.
    Everything has Tonka and Amber in the base. It is nice that this does not...and I love the dryness of it as well. I suppose it is a matter of preference, as I do like "non-dry" scents as well, but depends on which one .

I've known about RGPH since making my way onto Basenotes. Just recently bought a bottle, and, yes, it's excellent stuff. I hope it is NOT discontinued any time soon or even a later down the line....this is an outstanding effort from the YSL camp (....uhh, Tom Ford? Yes? Sorry, i can't recall, really....). Honestly, their line does not have the breadth of folks like Armani, Davidoff, or Calvin Klein....with new scents on top of revisions on top of rehashes of long-standing staples. Admit it; the only scent in YSL stable that has a few different takes on it is Kouros, and those tend to be well done.

I like Rive Gauche Pour Homme a lot. I like M7. I like Jazz. Kouros is a classic. I think the lineup at YSL is just fine. Please don't pull the plug on any of them.

Question Re: I might as well just wear Rive Gauche every day

What I don't understand is why Rive Gauche Pour Homme is so inexpensive?

At websites like BeautyEncounter and Fragrancenet, a 4.2 oz bottle of RGPH can be had for less than $35 while a 1.7 oz bottle of Kouros will usually be over $35!

Is it not selling well? Or did YSL use cheaper ingredients when putting together RGPH unlike Kouros? And why only the larger bottles such as 2.5 oz and 4.2 oz are made? Where's the 1 oz or 1.7 oz bottles of RGPH?

After reading this thread, I'm thinking that I MUST get a sample. It sounds intriguing, although since I don't know what some notes smell like in perfumery, I wouldn't dare buy blind (or rely on the misleading test strip!)
    A

and

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_B View Post
    I like Rive Gauche Pour Homme a lot. I like M7. I like Jazz. Kouros is a classic. I think the lineup at YSL is just fine. Please don't pull the plug on any of them.

Speaking of Jazz - there is a striking similarity between RGpH & Jazz IMO.

Largo i did have the same with the paper strip first and didn´t like it. But It developed different on my skin.

Surfacing let´s cry together if it were discontinued :--) i like the dryness and differences too.

Mindbrain i am also interested why it´s so inexpensive. I could also buy 4.2 oz for around 30 €.
    Last edited by sanatik; 5th November 2008 at 10:13 AM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Rive Gauche smells really manly but becomes a skin scent in an hour. I have resorted to spraying it on my shirt, and am considering spraying the hair above my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonattan View Post
    Rive Gauche smells really manly but becomes a skin scent in an hour. I have resorted to spraying it on my shirt, and am considering spraying the hair above my ears.
    Really? This stuff has great projection and sillage.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I have to put my nose directly on my wrist to smell Rive Gauche after an hour. I guess your skin is oily enough to project it well. I'm also considering finding a scentless oil to put on my skin before spraying this cologne.

Since Rive Gauche doesn't last long enough on me, and I've read there isn't much difference between Gauche and Gauche Intense, I'm looking for alternatives.

Some people say that Azzaro and Rive Gauche are similar. I have to try Azzaro to see if it lasts longer. I've also heard Versace Black Jeans is similar.

Some colognes that last all day on me are Opium EDT, Fahrenheit, John Varvatos and Vintage, Cool Water, Burberry, and 212 Men.

In my experience, Rive Gauche is more like a body spray (Eat your heart out, Axe) than an EDT. It isn't potent at all on me. Maybe that's why it's so cheap (around 20 bucks now).

Rive Gauche is ultra-potent. You must be anosmic to a/some chemicals in it Jonattan. This stuff has the half-life of nuclear waste!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Jonattan View Post
    I have to put my nose directly on my wrist to smell Rive Gauche after an hour. I guess your skin is oily enough to project it well. I'm also considering finding a scentless oil to put on my skin before spraying this cologne.
    Rive Gauche Pour Homme is not a wrist scent. It's not a neck scent. It's a chest scent. When worn on the chest, it will pump out sillage until you wash it off.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Rive Gauche is ultra-potent. You must be anosmic to a/some chemicals in it Jonattan. This stuff has the half-life of nuclear waste!
    That's right!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

When i first sampled this I sprayed it on the sleeve of my hoodie. A week later, I was in class and remember picking up a random, amazing sillage. I eventually thought back and realized it was Rive Gauche Ph on my sleeve. Amazing stuff.

Apart from getting all the compliments, in my opinion, Rive Gauche is one of the frags clearly designed for everyday wear.

For me the world of fragrances is divided to two: rive gauche and the rest. rive gauche is in a league of his own. its the most wearable frag, it suit anybody, anytime. its the most "manly" frag, strong (without being aggressive )good projection, excellent longevity and that barbershop smell that make you feel clean and fresh all day long. there are more complex frags than R.G out there, but no other frag gives me this "feel good' sensation like R.G, and at the same time draw compliments like magnet. the day R.G will be discontinued, will be the day i will loose my interest in fragrances. it is one of the" last titanic s " that still present the excellency in perfume industry, an industry that now looks like the pale shadow of its past glory.

Last year on a three-week holiday to NieuwZeeland I wore Rive Gauche EDT exclusively. Using it now brings back powerful memories of a great experience. Good stuff.

I received a sample 7 days ago. Within the last 3 weeks, I have received about 30 samples, but RG is the one I find myself wearing to work and spraying on myself at home. Honestly though-I thought it would be a bit more...fresh/aquatic than it is, but that's fine. I like the soapiness, surprisingly. After the 5 or so frags on my wish list, I may spring for this. It's a nice work/formal fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    I received a sample 7 days ago. Within the last 3 weeks, I have received about 30 samples, but RG is the one I find myself wearing to work and spraying on myself at home. Honestly though-I thought it would be a bit more...fresh/aquatic than it is, but that's fine. I like the soapiness, surprisingly. After the 5 or so frags on my wish list, I may spring for this. It's a nice work/formal fragrance.
    I'm glad you are liking this one Larwiz :brolly:. Coincidentley, Rive Gauche pour Homme is my SotD. 15 hours and still going well. Unreal stuff.

I don't have an everyday scent, but if I did it would be a choice between this and Azzaro Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by renperd View Post
    Last year on a three-week holiday to NieuwZeeland I wore Rive Gauche EDT exclusively. Using it now brings back powerful memories of a great experience. Good stuff.

When i wear this i am always reminded of a trip to NYC back in 2004. It's a nice scent and i especially like the drydown. I don't understand why it gets hyped so much though...i really think it's the poor man's Quorum.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; 20th December 2009 at 06:39 PM.
    Knize Ten !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I'm glad you are liking this one Larwiz :brolly:. Coincidentley, Rive Gauche pour Homme is my SotD. 15 hours and still going well. Unreal stuff.
    And I do believe you told me to give it some time. I sure am glad I did so. It's a really solid fragrance. I don't know if I prefer it to body korous. Though one could easily have both in thier wardrobe, if two fragrances are kinda close, I will usually choose one or the other. Like I would never have Declaration and Tdh in the same wardrobe, for example. RG and BK aren't that similar, but for some reason, I feel like maybe, if I had BK, I wouldn't need RG. See-I got my father BK for Christmas, and since I'll have access to it, I figure I may not need to get RG. But since I like it so, I may get it after I've gotten Bogart ph, Givenchy Play Intense, and Perry Ellis ph.

I had a friend try RG today. He said it wasn't bad, but he wouldn't wear it because it smells like his gilette after shave. I had to laugh, because I know I read that exact statement on here just this weekend. And several people have stated that it smells like after shave. It's still nice though.

Sur la Plage

It's a great scent and should be applied with as many sprays to whatever part of your body that you see fit.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread