Code of Conduct

Default A fresh "Winter" scent?

With the cooler weather coming, is there a fresh or aquatic scent that is suitable for the cold months? I want an alternative to the gourmand scents and the oriental scents. They can get a little heavy for day-to-day wear.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: A fresh "Winter" scent?

I actaully think Bulgari Aqua has a little spicy kick to it that makes it appropriate for this time of year. I also, in honor of the thread, think Versace Pour Homme is a nice citrus and classy wear for Winter.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Rochas Lui - The neroli gives me that freshness with woddy accords...

L3homme from Caron- Floral with woods though....dont know if that one would ring with your needs.

Roger Gallet Open- thats a fresh one with spice - smells a bit like dial gold soap a staple for me in these cold days

Awwww man. I was in the middle of typing Himalaya, when I noticed that you already had it in your drobe. That is the first thing that came to my mind when I read the question.

Laura Tonatto's Oltre. Cold, rainy, fresh, marine...

Himalaya, Terre d'Hermes, Versace Man Eau Fraiche (it's strong on my skin, I don't know about yours)

Thanks for the replies. I own several of these, so that helps!

i like 212 in the winter. that metallic hazy musky warmth with the fresh green grass notes is neat combination in the colder months.

I want to second Versace PH - you can read my small book about it in my thread . I also think that MPG's Centaure has a fresh quality about it, although it is decidedly heavier than your typical fresh scent. It gets heavier in the drydown though, teetering on oriental territory.

I also think Prada Amber and Burberry Touch would qualify as such scents.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 6th November 2008 at 06:09 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I have not tried it myself, but try Guerlain Vetiver.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Quote Originally Posted by supracuhz View Post
    I have not tried it myself, but try Guerlain Vetiver.
    I think it would work wonderfully, yeah. The cedar should shine.

I know it's trite, but I like wearing Green Irish Tweed this time of year. It's fresh, but not in a Spring Fresh sense. A bit bracing and clean - just right for a crisp autumn morning. But that's just me...

I would also propose Chanel PM (1955). Not a marine scent, but it strikes a nice balance between the fresh and aromatic notes, which goes well with the transitional feeling of autumn. Alas, PM hardly lasts long enough to bother with it.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 6th November 2008 at 09:06 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I would like to suggest Dsquared He Wood.
    Fresh woody and inviting and inspiring is how I see it.
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Not necessarily aquatic but, chez bond is a tad smoother than GIT and might do the trick. I also recommend a nice tea like Bvlgari PH. I have been enjoying Gucci by Gucci and picked up Dior Homme today as well. Those aren't your criteria but I like them. To be specific, Bvlgari Aqua will fit the bill nicely. It has a hint of green which I know you like and is something deep and aquatic to it. Not the fresh blue aquatic as when you look at the waves from above, but how it might smell deep in the abyss--cold aquatic water that has been infused with kelp and greens.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 6th November 2008 at 09:27 PM.

Definitely Bvlgari Aqva has a slightly sweet woody base which is great for changing things up from the thick winter orientals. Chanel Allure Sport too, has a tonka/vanillic warmth at the base coupled with its orange/aquatic top notes.

Oh, judging by your post count you are probably already very aware of these. You might like Iskander by Parfum d'Empire, though it's not "aquatic."

Basenotes Institution

Baie de Genievre by Creed - the juniper berries keep it fresh and the cinnamon leaves keeps it spicy for winter.

I think Guerlain Vetiver is a good choice because is fresh, but not very very very much.....Is a good fresh scent for winter.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been wearing Geir in the cooler weather and it seems to be able to have enough strength to punch through the lower temperatures quite nicely without losing it's "freshness" vibe.

I immediately thought of Horizon by Guy Laroche when I read your topic title.
    Last edited by Ronin; 7th November 2008 at 05:26 AM.

Gucci II

Nicole Farhi Pour Homme has an unusual fresh wintry smell.
    L'Eau Trois by Diptyqe has very fresh green elements, but somehow works better in winter than summer. It does have some incense to it. but is neither smoky nor sweet.
    The new Gucci by Gucci pour Homme, although not as unique as the others, may have the kind of mix you are looking for.
    All of the above have a little more heft than summer colognes, but avoid that heavy, boozy, cozy, sweet "holliday" vibe that so many winter scents have.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    With the cooler weather coming, is there a fresh or aquatic scent that is suitable for the cold months? I want an alternative to the gourmand scents and the oriental scents. They can get a little heavy for day-to-day wear.

Any suggestions?
    Green Irish Tweed, of course.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Blog Entries

PORSCHE DESIGN THE ESSENCE

amazing amazing scent. completely cold....arctic...and just very very well made. PERFECT for what you need, mate.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Gucci II
    Oh, I totally forgot about this one. Not my favorite scent, but yes it is a perfect 'fresh' winter scent. The technical name is Gucci pour Homme II.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 7th November 2008 at 03:38 PM.

Gucci II is not my cup of tea...YSL L'Homme might be an option...

Quote Originally Posted by wiley1st View Post
    I've been wearing Geir in the cooler weather and it seems to be able to have enough strength to punch through the lower temperatures quite nicely without losing it's "freshness" vibe.
    Geir Ness was the first one that came to my mind!

It definitely has the ability to hold up in colder weather. It also has an uplifting quality to it that could rid one of the blues even on the grayest of rainy days!

Plus some have described it as smelling like snow scented air.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    Geir Ness was the first one that came to my mind!
    Me too. I find it hauntingly beautiful in the winter.

I'm going to go ahead recommend something hardly anyone has been talking about here. I think the new Zirh Ikon would work great all year round. I tried it out yesterday and I really, really like it. Something about it makes it feel familiar, its not breaking any new ground and fits comfortably into the designer scent world, but yet it feels different than a lot of the lesser scents that have been released lately. Its a fresh-woody scent that smells remarkably clean, yet warm at the same time. Like I said its nothing that is going to win any awards but I highly recommend that people try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I'm going to go ahead recommend something hardly anyone has been talking about here. I think the new Zirh Ikon would work great all year round. I tried it out yesterday and I really, really like it. Something about it makes it feel familiar, its not breaking any new ground and fits comfortably into the designer scent world, but yet it feels different than a lot of the lesser scents that have been released lately. Its a fresh-woody scent that smells remarkably clean, yet warm at the same time. Like I said its nothing that is going to win any awards but I highly recommend that people try it out.
    I got a sample of it recently and I also felt there was something familiar about it.

Then it hit me, it is very much like Dunhil Edition, only slightly lighter.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

How about Lanvin L`Homme? I`ve tried it last winter and it fits in very well.
    My current Fall-Winter rotation: Baldessarini EdC - Canali Men - Dior Homme Sport - Gucci PH I - Guerlain Homme - Issey Miyake L`Eau D`Issey PH Intense - Lalique Encre Noir - Loewe Solo - Terre d`Hermes - YSL Rive Gauche PH

Winter, Xmas is coming - a nice fresh pine will do. L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe.

Blog Entries

I've been wearing Bvlgari Aqva so far in the cooler days. It actually holds up pretty good. It's the dark, fresh sea-smell that works pretty well in the winter time. It brightens up in the summer too. Also, speaking of Versace PH. I just tried that today (got a sample yesterday). It holds up pretty good too. I put it on about...11 hours ago. It's not over bearing. Sorta reminds me of the top citrus notes of YSL L'Homme and a bit of Dolce & Gabbana PH, which I like both. It didn't exactly "WOW" me, it was a good go to option if you're undecided.

For winter "fresh" I would go with light wood or incense instead of citrus & vetiver refreshers that are so common for summer. One of my favorites from a few years back, but still feels fresh and appropriate is Bulgari pour Homme - It is very clean and transparent with light green woods (Bulgari says green tea) . BpH is fresh without the typical summer citrus freshness.

Other light wood fragrances that also feel very fresh for winter are: Navegar by L'Artisan, He Wood by D Squared, Kyoto by CdG, Cinnamon by CdG and Hinoki Scent One by CdG. I also like Mike's Baie de Genevrie suggestion - juniper berries + cinnamon, although I just sold my bottle to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Winter, Xmas is coming - a nice fresh pine will do. L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe.
    Good choice!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I may have found it in my own collection. L'Altra Follia di Aquarama. I just grabbed it and put on about 12 sprays this AM. It was 39 degrees outside. I had been cooped up with a sick kid for the day yesterday and I wanted a fresh scent to face Monday with.

It's an excellent scent. My wife swooned hard for it this morning. I think the heft of my application is the key to Winter wear for this one.

I love Gucci PH II, but its indeed an oriental..

My tip is Pierre Cardin Black, its very similar to Creed MI, but a hekk of alot cheaper and even my cologne have atleast 5 times the longlivety and sillage that MI lacks..

Caron's L'Anarchiste

I agree with the Fou d'Absinthe and the Bvlgari The Vert.

I would also try Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia. It may be technically classified as feminine, but it is quite a unisex scent. Guerlain calls it a summer scent, but I couldn't disagree more; I think it smells just like late fall dry leaves and the mint echoes the bite in wintry air.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay