Code of Conduct

Default Three Solid Fall/Winter Fragrances?

Out of this list, which do you think are the best three fragrances for Fall/Winter? Are these versatile enough to be worn any time of the year besides Black XS? I can certainly end up buying all of them but just want to hear your opinions. Feel free to suggest other fragrances that may compliment the list.

Wishlist:

A*Men (Have yet to test on skin but will do so soon at store).
    Black XS (Will buy blind because I don't know where to sample this).
    Body Kouros (May buy blind or sample).
    Burberry London (Tested and liked but concerned about longevity).
    Rive Gauche pour Homme (May buy blind or sample).

Test List:

Bulgari Black (Will test this).
    Diesel Zero Plus (Where can I get a sample of this?).
    L'Anarchiste (Will test this).
    Last edited by Ronin; 4th November 2008 at 05:59 AM.

Default Re: Three Solid Fall/Winter Fragrances?

Nice choices. I agree with all except Burberry- just not my thing. IMHO, Rive Gauche PH is the most all season wear of the group.

Check out:
    Opium PH
    Gucci Envy
    and definitely
    OPUS 1870- this is winter wear all the way to me.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Opium most certainly, either EDT or P, M7 comes into its own and Cristobal will see me through the coldest days ahead.

Burb London and Rive Gauche. I'd substitute in Lolita Lempicka au Masculin for A*Men, a much easier-to-wear gourmand IMO. Regarding Black XS, give Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue (the ladies version) a try - Black XS is quite similar.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Opium sounds nice but the list of ingredients is so large that I feel like I will get cancer after a few sprays. I don't know why they plastered that fragrance with all of those unecessary ingredients. Lolita Lempicka au Masculin was on my test list but then I took it off because I don't know where to get a sample of this and I'm not willing to buy blind on that one. It is back on my test list but I don't know where to sample it.
    Last edited by Ronin; 4th November 2008 at 06:52 AM.

My three favs from your list are:

Body Kouros
    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    L'Anarchiste

Opium is a masterful blend. It is many fragrances over the course of its development. There are nuances to it that the Kouros family is missing. If your nose is good, you'll be amazed at the play between subtleties and aggression that Opium goes through. Don't get me wrong, Body Kouros is fantastic, but a different frag than Opium.
    Last edited by argogos; 4th November 2008 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Out of this list, which do you think are the best three fragrances for Fall/Winter? Are these versatile enough to be worn any time of the year besides Black XS? I can certainly end up buying all of them but just want to hear your opinions. Feel free to suggest other fragrances that may compliment the list.

Wishlist:

A*Men (Have yet to test on skin but will do so soon at store).
    Black XS (Will buy blind because I don't know where to sample this).
    Body Kouros (May buy blind or sample).
    Burberry London (Tested and liked but concerned about longevity).
    Rive Gauche pour Homme (May buy blind or sample).

Test List:

Bulgari Black (Will test this).
    Diesel Zero Plus (Where can I get a sample of this?).
    L'Anarchiste (Will test this).
    My friend, you do realize that there is no link between cancer and fragrance ingredients, and even the relation between certain ingredients and skin reactions are tenous at best? I would hate for you to miss out on beautiful scents because paranoid watchdog organizations have bombarded you with misinformation. I'm a scientist, if you ever have any questions regarding the potential medical significance of any ingredient in a fragrance, please let me know and I would be more than happy to search the available resources I have at work and home to see if there has been any solid evidence that it has done harm.

I know your asked in another thread but the ingredients in Rive Gauche:
    Alcohol
    Water
    Parfum
    Benzyl Salicyclate
    Linalool
    Limonene
    Hydroxycitronellal
    Butyl Methoxydibenzolylmethane
    Butylphenyl Methylpropiional
    Hydroxyishohexyl-3-cyclohexene
    Carboxaldehyde
    Citronellol
    Eugenol
    Coumarin
    Oakmoss
    BHT
    Citral

Cool Re: Three Solid Fall/Winter Fragrances?

1. Alfred Dunhill 1934
    2. Richard James
    3. Habit Rouge or Egoiste, take your pick.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

L'Anarchiste is a must have for fall - Burberry London too (I get ridiculous longevity on this one, strangely.)
    I find L'Anarchiste is wearable - when adjusting the amount for season - all year long. It really comes alive in summer, and presents a darker, spicier and woodier aspect of itself in the winter.

I found Body Kouros to be amazing at first, bought a bottle, and after a few wears found it's thick and syrupy texture to be rather sickening. For a similar but lighter and more versatile scent to Body Kouros, check out Bulgari Pour Homme Soir (thanks to Jenson for first noticing the link between this and BK - they definitely both share a prominent note!)

A few more designer scents to consider: V&R Antidote (spicy cinnamon nutmeg, sweet amber) and Santana for men (sweet cinnamon and tonka, very much an autumn scent).

I'd also recommend, if you're willing to investigate niche houses, Les Nez Let Me Play the Lion (warm cedar and sweet ambergris, very woody but cozy) , CDG Monocle: Hinoki (straight up wood!), Montale's Original Aoud/Bois De Aoud (another good dry woody scent), a good vetiver such as Route Du Vetiver (dark and earthy!) by MPG or Annick Goutal's Vetiver (starts light and salty like a sea breeze but gets smokey), and if you like rum, Idole de Lubin.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 4th November 2008 at 08:53 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Shalashaska, thanks for the list of ingredients for Rive Gauche. If you would have ingested some of those things then I bet there would be harm. Your skin should absorb some of those ingredients. Maybe the absorption is insignificant but over time there can be harm. Perhaps I am overreacting considering all of the dangers we experience through the everyday environment. Maybe I am a bit paranoid but I still wonder why companies must toss in a bunch of ingredients that serve no purpose.

The first time I sprayed Burberry London it diminished rather quickly and I could only smell it when up close to the skin. The second time I sprayed on the hair of my forearm and it lasted a while. I'm assuming that if I spray on body hair and then put on my shirt that it will remain there for a long time. L'Anarchiste seems interesting. Anyway, would Opium be a good casual choice for someone in their early 20s? Seems a bit sophisticated from the description. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Last edited by Ronin; 4th November 2008 at 10:18 AM.

DK Fuel

M7

Obsession

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post

Body Kouros
    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    L'Anarchiste
    Agreed, at least among the ones you named. Otherwise there's full of alternative options both designer or niche from Opium PH to Egoiste or Antaeus, from Narciso Rodriguez for him to Heritage....

Polo Modern Reserve
    Burberry London
    TdH

Simple and all three are perfect
    Last edited by ToughCool; 4th November 2008 at 02:03 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

There's so many great, rich fragrances perfect for winter. I've only got about 3-4 months of cooler weather, and I'll be taking advantage of the cooler weather to wear items more oppressive in the summer, like:

Polo
    M7
    Fahrenheit

Ive read on several smelly sites that Chanel Cuir De Russie is a perfect fragrance for winter but Ive never smelt it .....

Smile Re: Three Solid Fall/Winter Fragrances?

L'anarchiste would be my choice. Too bad I had serious longevity issues with it. If It lasted on me for more than an hour I would still own it.
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

in this order..:

1.- Bvlgari Black
    2.- Burberry London(excellent sillage and longevity at least on me..test it!)
    3.- Rive Gauche

Shalashaska, thanks for the list of ingredients for Rive Gauche. If you would have ingested some of those things then I bet there would be harm. Your skin should absorb some of those ingredients. Maybe the absorption is insignificant but over time there can be harm. Perhaps I am overreacting considering all of the dangers we experience through the everyday environment. Maybe I am a bit paranoid but I still wonder why companies must toss in a bunch of ingredients that serve no purpose.

The first time I sprayed Burberry London it diminished rather quickly and I could only smell it when up close to the skin. The second time I sprayed on the hair of my forearm and it lasted a while. I'm assuming that if I spray on body hair and then put on my shirt that it will remain there for a long time. L'Anarchiste seems interesting. Anyway, would Opium be a good casual choice for someone in their early 20s? Seems a bit sophisticated from the description. Thanks for the suggestions.
    I love L'Anarchiste *now*, but in the beginning I didn't get it and gave away my original bottle. Get a decent sized decant of it before you buy a full bottle, you may love it at first sniff or it may take some time to grow, but please don't make a full choice after one or two wearings.

Regarding Opium, try and find the Eau D'Orient EDT version from 2006,2007, or 2008. They are all lighter, fresher takes on the original that are meant for summer wear but work beautifully in the winter too. They also strike me as more 'casual' than the original Opium, more crisp, and less cloying. Definetely easier to pull off for a younger man.

If London doesn't last long for you but you still like the 'boozy' vibe, try John Varvatos Vintage. A scent in the same vein but a little drier, still perfect for winter. While you're at it, sniff out the original Varvatos too.

And as far as chemical exposure guys, many of the chemicals listed were preservants and enhancers that I believe help the scent go into aeorsol form easer. I think, I'd have to look them up though. The main thing is that the skin is actually tougher and more resistant that you give it credit for, and only minute amounts of any chemical there would actually be absorbed. You basically ingest far, far worse from food and inhale worse from walking outside in a city. Is there a risk from a fragrance? Sure, but it is so minimal compared to everything else or even by itself that I wouldn't worry about it. Also, don't think that the ingredient list on any fragrance is complete. They list 'parfum' as an ingredient, what does that tell us? Nothing at all, doesn't tell you which oils they used or even if they were synthetic or natural.

Opium and age? Hmmm. Ya know, that's a good question. My gut reaction is that it is sophisticated and therefore maybe not "for" a 20 year old. But that precludes that 20 year olds aren't sophisticated. I think the debate is more about trendiness vs. classic potential. I was wearing Eau Sauvage and Blenheim Bouquet when I was 20 and those certainly aren't trendy. Then again, being the stereotypical rebellious youth was never my thing. I never paid much attention to what was age appropriate. Are John Varvatos and Magnetism typically worn by 38 year olds? I don't know for sure, but I like them, so I wear them. I can see how the classic citruses like Eau Sauvage, Cravache, Blenheim Bouquet, Boucheron,etc... ad nauseum could be perceived as old manish as everyday wear, but Opium's spicy, oriental is more versatile in my book. I might even say it's the bridge between trendy and classic.

The 3 I would pick from your list are:

> Black XS
    > Rive Gauche pour Homme
    > Diesel Zero Plus

I would also suggest you test Fahrenheit by Christian Dior, its not for everybody but one of my favorites....I use it in the cooler months. Its a spicy scent.

Good Luck
    "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

http://www.perfumecenter.com/

Body Kouros
    Kouros
    M7

Stick with the YSL's you won't be disappointed

Burberry London
    Gucci PH

Carolina Herrera for men

Body Kouros or M7

Nemo Cacharel

Body Kouros
    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    L'Anarchiste

My favs from my collection are

Jaipur
    rochas lui
    M7
    Gucci Envy
    Visit
    Nemo

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    Opium and age? Hmmm. Ya know, that's a good question. My gut reaction is that it is sophisticated and therefore maybe not "for" a 20 year old. But that precludes that 20 year olds aren't sophisticated. I think the debate is more about trendiness vs. classic potential. I was wearing Eau Sauvage and Blenheim Bouquet when I was 20 and those certainly aren't trendy. Then again, being the stereotypical rebellious youth was never my thing. I never paid much attention to what was age appropriate. Are John Varvatos and Magnetism typically worn by 38 year olds? I don't know for sure, but I like them, so I wear them. I can see how the classic citruses like Eau Sauvage, Cravache, Blenheim Bouquet, Boucheron,etc... ad nauseum could be perceived as old manish as everyday wear, but Opium's spicy, oriental is more versatile in my book. I might even say it's the bridge between trendy and classic.

I can not be more agreed! I`m 34 and use Opium. I think it`s not a matter of age, but how you dress! You can`t wear a t-shirt, jogging pants, sneakers and caps together with Opium... But with a good looking clean white/blue shirt, leather-shoe, elegant jacket etc, it`s a winner! If you are a bit concervative, with a modern- classic style, Opium is a goood choice!
    It`s definitively a formal scent, but i love it so much that i use it every day!
    As time goes by and i`m getting older, my taste of scents has developed, and my intersest for todays new realeses is getting minor and minor.. Real quality never goes out of style!!

Of that list, the only one I've tried and liked is L'Anarchiste, but I find it more a summer fragrance ( though it's good any time ).

My top three fall and winter fragrances would be:

Winter Star
    Cuir Ottoman
    Iris Silver Mist

Musc Ravegeur
    Lolita Lempicka
    Terre de Hermes

John Varvatos (original)
    Michael Kors
    Aigner Black
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

I rock Opium to work, Court, t-shirt jeans, night out with my girlfriend, romantic dinner with my lady, dinner with family, to a business meeting, etc... It is all good. I am 28 years old and see no connection between Opium and age; it is only a problem if you make it one.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 4th November 2008 at 11:53 PM.

Habit Rouge
    H.O.T. Always
    Jaipur Homme

I am surprised no one mentioned Grey Flannel.

Thanks for the suggestions. My interest is rising for Opium pH. If I like Opium pH then I may look for Eau d'Orient. The problem is that I don't just want to end up buying a bunch of fragrances all at once.

Any ideas where I can buy samples of the following?:

Opium pour Homme
    Black XS
    Diesel Zero Plus
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin

Ok, new challenge. Don't include Burberry London because I'm sold on it since I have already tested it. Also, don't include A*Men since I can test it out at the store. Which five fragrances should I look into the most out of the following?:

Body Kouros
    L'Anarchiste
    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Opium pour Homme
    Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient
    Black XS
    Diesel Zero Plus
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin
    Last edited by Ronin; 5th November 2008 at 05:39 AM.

Au Masculin-
    Body Kouros-
    L'Anarchiste-
    Rive Gauche PH- Potent stuff but not as necessarily wintery, IMHO
    Opium PH- The Eau D'Orient is designed for warmer weather, stick with original for now.

Opium PH has been spotted all over the country in TJMAXX and Marshall's lately. For 9.99-14.99, it's not a bad blind buy. My guess is that these are older bottles and you may sacrifice some strength. That's just a guess though.

Also, Perfumania stores carry Au Masculin, Rive Gauche, and Opium.

Body Kouros and L'Anarchiste might be more difficult but I'm sure you'll find them on the internet eventually.

CdG Sequoia
    Rive Gauche
    Michael Kors
    L'Anarchiste
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
    Serge Lutens Amber Sultan
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Acier Aluminum
    Bois du Portugal
    M7

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    I rock Opium to work, Court, t-shirt jeans, night out with my girlfriend, romantic dinner with my lady, dinner with family, to a business meeting, etc... It is all good. I am 28 years old and see no connection between Opium and age; it is only a problem if you make it one.
    -Here is Rupert Everett in the commercial for Opium pour Homme, http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ium+pour+homme How old was he back in 95? The women is Linda Evangelista.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 5th November 2008 at 04:40 PM.

Sables by A. Goutal
    Heritage by Guerlain
    Lui by Mazzolari

Paco Rabanne Homme
    Vetiver Guerlain
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

add B*Men to your list. It is perfect for fall!

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    add B*Men to your list. It is perfect for fall!
    I would if I didn't already have it in my collection!

I want to have a solid wardrobe of fragrances that I will wear often and have no problem wearing. Fragrances don't usually grow on me so that means if I don't like them right away then they won't grow on me. Here's my edited list of fragrances I am thinking about buying. Solid list?

A*Men (Will test)
    Burberry London (Will buy)
    Body Kouros (May test or buy blind)
    Brit for Men (Will test)
    Last edited by Ronin; 8th November 2008 at 12:05 AM.

Just thought I'd bump this to ask another question. Is it worth owning both A*Men and Body Kouros? I want a sweet fragrance and both seem like they have sweet edible notes. Some say they smell cotton candy from Body Kouros? Which would you prefer out of the two?
    Last edited by Ronin; 8th November 2008 at 10:17 AM.

Just thought I'd bump this to ask another question. Is it worth owning both A*Men and Body Kouros? I want a sweet fragrance and both seem like they have sweet edible notes. Some say they smell cotton candy from Body Kouros? Which would you prefer out of the two?
    Hmm.. A*Men smells like a box confectionary candy. I Like it! -But i wouldn`t dare wearing it.. If you want a sweet scent, go for Bouchereon Jaipur! Very delicious composition. Classic elegance, that radiate style and good taste.. Smells very expensive. Beautiful dry-down. A couple of weeks ago, i had trouble choose from Opium and Jaipur. Both of them are great, and i picked Opium that is something i don`t regret..
    But i could not get Jaipur out of my mind, so today i went back and bought it. So now i can alternate between these two materpices!
    It`s not a scent for the masses, so it feels like i`m wearing something uniqe and spesial!

Good Luck with your hunt for a new perfume!

What do people think of xeryus rouge as a winter frag?

Blog Entries

If you like sweet frags and you like the smell of strawberries, give Black XS a try.

Edit: Oh whoops, I forgot this was already on your list.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 8th November 2008 at 09:57 PM.

Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Body Kouros
    Burberry London
    Bulgari Black
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I may give Black XS a try sometime but not right now. The problem is that it's a bit too pricey for me to buy blind and I don't know where to sample it. I will try A*Men and Brit on Monday to determine if these are ones I want to buy. Burberry London is a keeper for me and Body Kouros will be a blind buy. I want to have a small but varied collection of fragrances that I will use often. I wonder which I will like more: Brit or A*Men? Or both? I shall see this Monday and report my thoughts.

I'm still not sure whether I should blind buy Body Kouros because reading past topics shows that it's a fragrance that you can easily be bored with and many people have. Some even compared it to one of the Valentino fragrances that my friend has but I don't care for it. Are there people out there that continue to like Body Kouros after multiple wearings?
    Last edited by Ronin; 9th November 2008 at 04:59 AM.

I may give Black XS a try sometime but not right now. The problem is that it's a bit too pricey for me to buy blind and I don't know where to sample it. I will try A*Men and Brit on Monday to determine if these are ones I want to buy. Burberry London is a keeper for me and Body Kouros will be a blind buy. I want to have a small but varied collection of fragrances that I will use often. I wonder which I will like more: Brit or A*Men? Or both? I shall see this Monday and report my thoughts.

I'm still not sure whether I should blind buy Body Kouros because reading past topics shows that it's a fragrance that you can easily be bored with and many people have. Some even compared it to one of the Valentino fragrances that my friend has but I don't care for it. Are there people out there that continue to like Body Kouros after multiple wearings?

If you are going to try out A*Men, you must give Jaipur a chance also! There are some simularities between them.. Bouth are sweet, but Jaipur is more luxurius! It`s More cocoa-smell in A*Men...

L'Anarchiste
    Chergui
    Knize ten
    Musc Ravageur
    Last edited by richard d; 10th November 2008 at 10:28 PM.