Code of Conduct

Thread: 30ml

Default 30ml

I find myself buying the majority of my scents in this size (30 ML) nowadays because my nose has changed so much and continues to change so I get very bored of scents within 3-4 months. Now this is certainly not true of all scents, i.e., Opium EDP, etc..., but it is becoming a trend. For example, some of the scents I bought 3-4 months ago are now never worn by me and, in fact, they just sit on my shelf. This actually lead me to sell a number of them. Anyone else do the same?

Default Re: 30ml

That's what I should do, but I keep finding myself saying "well, the 100mL is only 20% more..." or something to that effect. It's never, like, three times the price like it should be.

I need to mention that I have been getting great deals on 30ML's from BN'ers and I picked up 1 30 ML at ScentBar bc that is the only size that they had available.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 4th November 2008 at 10:44 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I'm with you, I always buy 30ml sizes unless I spot a bargain!! It's cheaper and means you don't feel so bad having so much perfume.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

This is a very smart thing to do. It is a shame that more frags do not come in this size. Many here miss the days of decant sales on Basenotes as well.

I often find super deals on the 100 ml, which is why I have a lot of them. With 100 ml bottles you can decant quite a bit for yourself and still possibly do well in a sell or swap, so that's something positive for that size (or larger) and if you like it a lot, you won't need more for a long time (if you use frags the way I do).

I always buy the biggest bottle I can fearing I'll run out and wont be able to get more,
    which is pretty silly since I dont have anything rare
    Last edited by FlyingLotus; 4th November 2008 at 10:59 PM.

Hi Attoney......well, I think your strategy is very interesting and respectable....but I think is not good business.....Sometimes a 50 ml frag is about 50 usd.....a 100 ml is 60 usd.....its imposible to compare......I prefer the 100 ml always.....excepting on Marshalls or TjMax....they have some interesting offers in other small sizes.

My brother have the same strategy of you....he thinks is much better.....Who knows,
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The extra 50ml one gets in an 100ml bottle is a moot point if it just sits there never being used. Even if it is just an extra $10 - $20 dollars why pay it?
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

I wish there were more 30 ml bottles of scents.

My vote goes to 30ml bottles, too. I wish everyone did them. I have never used up a 100ml bottle in my entire life!

smeller

I used to chase everything I wanted in 30 ml (or 50 ml maximum, when impossible) when I started at Basenotes (2 years ago).

It surely diminishes your guilt on risky blind buys.

I think it's very worth to have some gems in this size when you don't want them to become your signature(s) but still want to give it full wears in very special events (my vintage VC&A is a good example), and you feel samples/miniatures won't be enough to a serious testing.

Now I'm beginning to get 100 ml backup bottles of my top 4 or 5 most weared frags, and selling the ones I can live without, but it took a while to identify who is who. If I feel the urge to do a blind buy, I get a small sample instead. Always.

I always get the smallest size available - which unfortunately is usually 50ml for most things. I hate having to buy 100ml, especially when it's expensive.

I love that Hermes sells many of their fragrances in 15ml sizes. Great for trying something out without committing to a huge purchase. Problem is that these sizes are usually hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I always get the smallest size available - which unfortunately is usually 50ml for most things. I hate having to buy 100ml, especially when it's expensive.

I love that Hermes sells many of their fragrances in 15ml sizes. Great for trying something out without committing to a huge purchase. Problem is that these sizes are usually hard to find.
    I agree, it makes so much sense bc, honestly 100 ML is too big and if I like a scent, not love, then I will most likely never use more than 30ML. Plus with all 30ML's my juice is always well stocked and fresh.

Yeah I too tend to buy 30ml sizes. I think it's a shame that 30ml (and maybe even 15ml) bottles aren't available more easily.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

I like to trade samples with other BN'ers and so I find that having the largest size possible is nice as I can freely give away a lot without fearing that I'll run out of it for myself.

That said, there are many 'special occasion' perfumes that I enjoy but would rarely wear, and in those cases I would go with a 30ml bottle if available (or often even a 10-15ml decant)
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 5th November 2008 at 07:00 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I usually buy a bottle of 50 ml if I'm not very convinced that I absolutely adore the scent. And yes, I tend to get bored very easily as well, but after a certain while I feel like wearing some scents that I haven't worn in a while.
    30ml is too small for me, I get depressesd when I see how small is that bottle. lol

I'm starting to make more informed decisions about the scents Im buying and tend not to leap in to a purchase without being clear on it first. Therefore I tend to favour 50ml or 100ml bottles.
    I cant justify the cost of a 30ml when there is better value to be had with a larger bottle.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 5th November 2008 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I cant justify the cost of a 30ml when there is better value to be had with a larger bottle.
    Agree on that!

Personally, I think the perfect compromise is 50ml...

For me, 30ml makes the most sense. I like variety. I will never use all of one of these other sizes, even the 50ml ones. Even the 30ml will be a challenge for me to use up. I usually go like two weeks between repeating any of my scents. But that's just me!

All that said, I just picked up a beautiful 3.3 OZ of D&G The One for Men. I actually got it cheaper than what Sephora is asking for the 30ml size.

So, if it's the same price or cheaper, I will opt for the larger one, even though I'll never use it all. It will leave me more to sell when I tire of it!