Code of Conduct

Default Discontinued mainstream (NON NICHE!) classics

I've been lurking here long enough to know that there are some "secrets" you are all keeping that take quite a lot of digging to unearth...

For instance, some of your favorite fragrances have been (sometimes LONG AGO) discontinued. And yet, they are often available on eBay (or in the marketplace) if you know what to look for.

Please, please let me in on the secrets. What are your favorite discontinued frags?

Already, I have uncovered from this site:
    1. Havana, Aramis (which I love!)
    2. Patou pour Homme (which my wife hates!)
    3. Calvin by Calvin Klein (haven't tried...)
    4. Montana Parfum d'Homme (located pretty easily, cheap, beautiful frag, but I don't have the time/money/energy for ANY fragrance that has such poor longevity!)
    5. By Man by Dolce & Gabbana (which is so widely copied that locating a genuine bottle is almost impossible. The sample I have - thanks, SirSlarty!! - is the ONLY cologne I've EVER had where my wife said "hmm... you smell good!")

Thanks in advance for your help with my search!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Discontinued mainstream (NON NICHE!) classics

Balenciaga Pour Homme
    Leonard Pour Homme
    Creed Cuir de Russie
    Rochas Macassar
    Aramis Tuscany Uomo Forte
    Girorgio VIP Special Reserve
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Post Thanks / Like

Patou Pour Homme is a monumental fragrance of exquisite artistry.

Off-Scenter

My three essential discontinued fragrances are Patou pour Homme, Havana, and Ungaro II.

AromiErotici

Take a stroll on the wild side and sample Ungaro I.

Post Thanks / Like

Here I am looking about and I see this thread. And what are the chances as today I wore not one but TWO scents by American designers (to salute my vote! ) that have, sadly, been discontinued.

One you mentioned in your list: Calvin by Calvin Klein. Snapshot: An 80's "powerhouse" scent....an aromatic fougere, to be exact. Very unique and quite unlike anything else currently being shoved down your throat as you enter Macy's, Penney's, Von Maur or who-have-you in your neck of the woods. I searched like a fiend back in Spring of 1999 to snag a bottle and I found nothing locally here in Chi-Town. Quite frustrating when in early 1995 I recall seeing the shelves of a few Perfumania stores just jammed with the navy blue bottles....and for about twenty-four bucks plus tax for a 3.4 oz.!! A couple years later it was gone. Poof. Vanished. See 'ya....wouldn't wanna be 'ya! And just as I was about to part with $70 or so to buy a bottle from a perfume dealer in Hollywood....a familiar SA at a local Carson Pirie Scott store tells me Calvin Klein is bringing Calvin back!! October '99 arrival for a reissue to mark the new millenium! It would be on sale for the year 2000.....and then quietly leave again. This richly blended scent stands apart from the Acqua di Gio's and Le Male's of the world....but sadly, not all greeted it with open arms. Some former fans had.....moved on.

The second scent I wore today had a shorter life in the retail world....less than a decade I believe. Unleaded by Donna Karan was introduced around 1994 and was seemingly more omnipresent than its richer, older sibling, DK Men....known colloquially or quasi-officially as Fuel. I say this because I actually was not proven DK Men's existence until I came here to Basenotes in 2005 (Sheesh...was it THAT long ago? Time flies when your having fun!). Nevertheless....after Christmas of 1996 was when I first sniffed Unleaded, straight from its futuristic "gear shirter" bottle. I was somewhat intrigued, but my female friend was repulsed. She quipped that the "sports car image" the scent was supposed to project came off as being closer to "sports car ashtray". A couple years later I revisited Unleaded; and I dug it even more! I secured some to have for myself as it seemed to leave stores and never come back. (I HATE when scents do that! Especially ones I like!) Come 2003 I saw some on E Bay......bringing stupid money1 I'm sorry: They were ASKING stupid money, in high "Buy It Now" pricing....but they always seemed to be there time after time. I realize Ms Karan reintroduced DK Men in the exclusive line.....I forget the actual name, but where all the bottle have the same general shape but the colors or material's textures are different. And in limited numbers. If Unleaded had longevity and projection like DK Men, I would wish and wish and write letters begging its reinstatement into the line. But this scent is mellow on my skin, wears close, and some wouldn't even like it. So it stays a discontinued treasure.

But these are just two examples of some of the heartache that accompanies the joy (no pun intended) of this fragrant hobby of ours. And sadly, theres a sad srory out there for each and every one of us. Just look over the Scent of the Day threads every once in a while and you will occasionally find an in-depth post from someone like JaimeB or TwoRoads or Hirch Duckfinder....lots of folks....they list a beloved scent they are wearing and wax on nostalgic in words that seem lifted from a love letter or fabled tale; and somewhere in those pinings and remembrances you will see the word "discontinued". It is bittersweet. and I believe we all have at least one....one Patou Pour Homme....one Gucci Nobile.....one Ralph Lauren Monogram....or one Calvin by Calvin Klein. And our lady friends here may have even more than we men. Scents we love and struggle to hold on to....we may have hoarded some in fear or anxiety.....but someday we will enjoy our last spritz. And the scent we may never smell again stays imbedded deep within us.....we have its image to keep us company....an intangible olfactory picture of the way it smelled to us and the memories it rekindles. Fragrance is made to be spent....quite literally "thrown to the air'....and some never come back.

It certainly is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all!

Onward, friends. Onward.......

Thank You.
    Last edited by Richie_B; 5th November 2008 at 05:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Davidoff - Relax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Take a stroll on the wild side and sample Ungaro I.
    I would love to... Where would I be able to get my hands on some?

Post Thanks / Like

Mudassir - Cuir de Russie isn't discontinued.... I even know a store that stocks it.

I'll second the D&G By

and how can we forget my favorite discontinued gems:

Helmut Lang EdC, EdP
    Helmut Lang Cuiron

plus,

Polo Crest

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    My three essential discontinued fragrances are Patou pour Homme, Havana, and Ungaro II.
    I generally love your taste and agree with you Vibert (although sadly I found Crystal Flowers nowhere near as enchanting as you ) - so I'll have to check out the first two you mentioned, because I agree that Ungaro II is a true masterpiece.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

I second Relax
    & add Nemo & Phileas to the list .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

The vintage Derby by Guerlain - the reissue is very good too apart from the odd citrus in the top which fades quickly though.
    Carlo Corinto Vetyver - for me this is as good as, say, Patou pour Homme Prive another great lost frag although not as great and special as the regular Patou pour Homme IMO.
    The original Nino Cerruti is now one of my favourites as well and is much better then the current watered down reformulation. And I love Havana although hardly wear it these days. I should also say Dunhill for Men however, I'm not sure this has been discontinued.

Maxim's pour Homme, Gucci Nobile, Ungaro I & II, Cerruti Fair Play are nice but I can live without.

smeller

Ténéré
    JHL
    Lacoste Eau de Sport (1968)

There's a lot more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_B View Post
    Just look over the Scent of the Day threads every once in a while and you will occasionally find an in-depth post from someone like JaimeB or TwoRoads or Hirch Duckfinder....lots of folks....they list a beloved scent they are wearing and wax on nostalgic in words that seem lifted from a love letter or fabled tale; and somewhere in those pinings and remembrances you will see the word "discontinued".
    Thanks Richie_B!

This is a fairly comprehensive list of my favorite discontinued fragrances. Please let me know if any are not discontinued but, like Derby and Havana, continue on in limited production.

R de Capucci *
    Iquitos *
    Dunhill for Men (1934) **
    Coriolan
    Witness
    Tuscany per Uomo Forte
    Jules **
    Domenico Caraceni pour Homme (aka 1913) **
    Gucci pour Homme (1976)
    VIP Special Reserve
    Calvin *
    Chaps
    Animale for Men
    Anthracite pour L'Homme *
    Bowling Green
    Chaz
    Francesco Smalto pour Homme *
    Guess Men (original)
    Halston 1-12
    Mediterraneum
    Gucci Rush for Men *
    Touch for Men (Fred Hayman)
    Versus Uomo
    Cuiron pour Homme
    No. 032 Bay Rum
    Macassar **
    Spazio Krizia Uomo
    Moods Uomo *
    Romeo Gigli per Uomo
    Perry Ellis ‘Signature’ for Men *
    Monsieur Note Havane
    Town & Country **
    Parfum d’Homme
    Private Number for Men
    Homme de Gres *
    Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir *
    Polo Crest *
    Modigliani Uomo *
    Sybaris *
    Nombre Noir **
    Salvador
    KL Homme *
    Ungaro I
    Ungaro II **
    Carlo Corinto Vetyver **
    Maxim’s pour Homme **
    Signoricci I (original)
    Signoricci II **
    Leonard pour Homme *

** My top ten from this list of favorites.
    * Other favorite favorites.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I'd say grab Everlast Original 1910 now, while the prices are still great. And did anyone mention Horizon yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I'd say grab Everlast Original 1910 now, while the prices are still great. And did anyone mention Horizon yet?
    Bigsly , Why turn this thread into prophecy !! ... ...

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt know Gucci Rush for men was discontinued, a shame - that was a pretty powerful one

Post Thanks / Like

Bowling Green is marked as discontinued, but I went on the Geoffrey Beene website tonight, and it is there under Fragrances. Could it be that it is not discontinued or has been reissued?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

TwoRoads,
    Has Domenico Caraceni been discontinued? On the boards, I read luckyscent is probably not oing to replinish their stock. I didn't know its discontinued. Can anybody confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Thanks Richie_B!

This is a fairly comprehensive list of my favorite discontinued fragrances. Please let me know if any are not discontinued but, like Derby and Havana, continue on in limited production.

R de Capucci *
    Iquitos *
    Dunhill for Men (1934) **
    Coriolan
    Witness
    Tuscany per Uomo Forte
    Jules **
    Domenico Caraceni pour Homme (aka 1913) **
    Gucci pour Homme (1976)
    VIP Special Reserve
    Calvin *
    Chaps
    Animale for Men
    Anthracite pour L'Homme *
    Bowling Green
    Chaz
    Francesco Smalto pour Homme *
    Guess Men (original)
    Halston 1-12
    Mediterraneum
    Gucci Rush for Men *
    Touch for Men (Fred Hayman)
    Versus Uomo
    Cuiron pour Homme
    No. 032 Bay Rum
    Macassar **
    Spazio Krizia Uomo
    Moods Uomo *
    Romeo Gigli per Uomo
    Perry Ellis ‘Signature’ for Men *
    Monsieur Note Havane
    Town & Country **
    Parfum d’Homme
    Private Number for Men
    Homme de Gres *
    Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir *
    Polo Crest *
    Modigliani Uomo *
    Sybaris *
    Nombre Noir **
    Salvador
    KL Homme *
    Ungaro I
    Ungaro II **
    Carlo Corinto Vetyver **
    Maxim’s pour Homme **
    Signoricci I (original)
    Signoricci II **
    Leonard pour Homme *

** My top ten from this list of favorites.
    * Other favorite favorites.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

one of my old time favorites was PUB by Revlon love to find it again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    TwoRoads,
    Has Domenico Caraceni been discontinued? On the boards, I read luckyscent is probably not oing to replinish their stock. I didn't know its discontinued. Can anybody confirm?
    in a post from a few days ago, the_good_life mentioned that it is in stock and available from a German retailer (who also happens to be an e-tailer). With shipping, the exchange rate makes it comparable (little more expensive) than it was at luckyscent.com. I, for one, am thrilled.

As for the O.P., I own and jealously guard two bottles of Monogram by Ralph Lauren. I would love to find something current that comes close to this one!